Imported Single Engine Fighter Jet Contest

Krusty

Country flag
Radar signatures for f16 are probably known by Russians and Chinese??
Oh I have no doubts! They would have mapped the radar signatures by now and probably stored them for use in their radars. Knowing Pakistanis, they would just give the Chinese signature data in exchange for a coal Powerplant or two..

Country flag
Oh I have no doubts! They would have mapped the radar signatures by now and probably stored them for use in their radars. Knowing Pakistanis, they would just give the Chinese signature data in exchange for a coal Powerplant or two..
US personnel is supposedly watching paki f16 ?? Only allowed to fly them with US permission?

Country flag
The us know who the pilot is when the aircraft is being flown for a sortie?
It is maintained by US personnel and only leaves the hangar after US gives the so it is easy to assume that US knows which pilot is flying and the mission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butter Chicken

Country flag
If Trump permits F-16 complete ToT will be a better deal. This fighter is going to be around till 2044. Until then, there is going to be a huge need to refurbish and upgrade about 4000 flying F-16s. That upgrade will be a great business to have in India. It hinges on TOT.

As regards to the fighting capabilities of F-16, it is still unmatched by mist fighters of the world including the lower end stealth fighters.

F-16 in India will be pure license assembly,even worse than Su-30 MKI and there are various service centres for F-16s around the world-Italy,Turkey etc.There will be no "ToT".If the RFI is geniuine(it can be cancelled if it is just for show) then only Gripen has a realistic chance.

square

Strategic Issues
Who is the loser? LCA and the Indian tax payer
first i do not think this going to materialise....for next one year they will decide , next one year they negotiate , next five years the menufecturing hub will setup...the first aircraft can't rollout before 2025........also both are expensive aircraft @100m$......

they will only buy more rafale and keep getting lca tejas , till amca will be ready.....neither russian fgfa nor gripen/f16 going to get to IAF ...

Filtercoffee

Country flag
F-16 in India will be pure license assembly,even worse than Su-30 MKI and there are various service centres for F-16s around the world-Italy,Turkey etc.There will be no "ToT".If the RFI is geniuine(it can be cancelled if it is just for show) then only Gripen has a realistic chance.
Big mistake then in the fighter selection. Both the flight characteristics are similar to the LCA.

Flame Thrower

The authenticity remains to be discussed but.....

How China for F16 tech
I seriously doubt this source. I lost confidence when author mentioned about Pak f 16s.

America would never trust anyone with their weapons...

Knowing F 16 potentiality they tried ro sell degraded variant f 16/79(if I remember it correctly).

America even installed tracking devices on Turkish f 16, found on the downed f 16( I vaguely remember reading about it)

So I doubt America would have left Pak, so that China can examine one of the f 16. If someone believe that an A/c could have been tested without taking it up, then he is a fool(anyone can challenge this statement by bringing explanation).....

Because of the above statements, I believe that it is fake source and author might be an ammature.

Thus I rest my case....

Krusty

Country flag
I seriously doubt this source. I lost confidence when author mentioned about Pak f 16s.

Knowing F 16 potentiality they tried ro sell degraded variant f 16/79(if I remember it correctly).

America even installed tracking devices on Turkish f 16, found on the downed f 16( I vaguely remember reading about it)

So I doubt America would have left Pak, so that China can examine one of the f 16. If someone believe that an A/c could have been tested without taking it up, then he is a fool(anyone can challenge this statement by bringing explanation).....

Because of the above statements, I believe that it is fake source and author might be an ammature.

Thus I rest my case....
Possibly. I never said it's authenticity was beyond doubt. Agree to what you say, but you don't look at the Chinese side of the equation. Chinese intelligence is now at a level where they are killing CIA agents. How hard would it be for them to smuggle technical documents out of Pakistan especially when Pakistan will just hand over a copy if requested? Pakis themselves smuggled blueprints for nuclear reactors out of Netherlands, how hard is it for them to pass it on within their own country?

I genuinely do not know this, I'm no expert, but if Pakistani ground support staff has a Chinese engineer in their group performing maintenance of the aircraft how will the Americans know? I'd be Glad if someone could explain it to me.

@LETHALFORCE

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
We need to ask why the Americans are willing to shift F16 production line to India. There is no other way around the fact that no matter how good the aircraft is, it's a late 70s airframe that is at its end of life stage waiting to be replaced by the F35. Too many countries has their hands on it and too many countries know its capabilities. I have absolutely no doubt that Chinese Engineers already have got their hands on them via Pakistan. Going for it would be a blunder IMHO. Please explain how will it nullify Pakistani advantage(assuming they have any) after the full AD layers are deployed by India.
If spares are blocked, Pakistani fleet will become obsolete, they have some spares supplied by Turkey but that is license production.

Secondly, Indian pilots do have some experience with F16's and they know in and out of this jet. Singapore airforce places their jets in India. Mixing the F16's with Su 30's, LCA's and Rafales will be an advantage to India.

Third, the latest block of F16's do have advanced technologies and are advanced. India is also getting the ToT.

Fourth, By getting the new technologies, India can build its own fifth gen fighter jet.

Filtercoffee

Country flag

Thus I rest my case....
I really doubt there was a reason for any military intelligence to cover the adversary aircraft closely as the details get know before installation. The only problem is the series in the legacy timeline as a continuation of the force. By force I mean the airforce.

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
It is maintained by US personnel and only leaves the hangar after US gives the so it is easy to assume that US knows which pilot is flying and the mission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this an assumption?..................

Krusty

Country flag
If spares are blocked, Pakistani fleet will become obsolete, they have some spares supplied by Turkey but that is license production.
You fail to look at the bigger picture. PAF isn't going to use the F16 forever. It's already shifting its major supplier from USA to china. Once the order for the JF17 is fulfilled, Pak will go straight for the J31 which China has made clear that it's a fighter intended for export. It will be ready in 3-5 years. What happens then? India will be stuck with (another??) hundreds of aircrafts with an airframe from the 70s along with a production line for the same. Who's airforce will be at a disadvantage then? They will be flying the shining new J31 and us the old workhorse F16. When the countries start going for modern fighters which they will inevitably, we will be stuck with a production like without much of any orders. This isn't thinking ahead ... you are missing the bigger picture for the want of a small advantage which will be nullified soon anyway.

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.For want of a shoe the horse was lost.For want of a horse the rider was lost.For want of a rider the message was lost.For want of a message the battle was lost.For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Secondly, Indian pilots do have some experience with F16's and they know in and out of this jet. Singapore airforce places their jets in India. Mixing the F16's with Su 30's, LCA's and Rafales will be an advantage to India.
So even more reason for India not to use the F16. Indian pilots have experience with the F16. Ok. But tell me, PAF Pilots do too. Is it wise to fly into combat with a jet that the enemy knows well or with one who's capabilities the enemy knows little to nothing about?

Third, the latest block of F16's do have advanced technologies and are advanced. India is also getting the ToT.
No. the latest F16 even though it has an obsolete airframe is jammed with the latest goodies interms of radar, avionics, flight control computers,Mission computers, EW suites and the whole package. If you think USA will transfer TOT for these (which is what India really needs) you are mistaken. do you seriously think we will get it? It will be the T90 saga all over again. I have made this point already in one of my earlier posts about the M777.

I don't understand how people expect full TOT. Cutting edge/bleeding edge tech will never be shared for any reason. Give me one good reason why cutting edge tech would be transferred through TOT. No country would willingly do that.
They have spend decades of reasearch pouring billions of $ and millions of manhours by foremost Scientists and Engineers to develop that tech what they are doing to day. And you just expect them to give it to us? The price is for the guns only. Maybe some auxiliary components but definitely not the main tech like the titanium barrels and so on
Fourth, By getting the new technologies, India can build its own fifth gen fighter jet.
Building our own is the end goal. But F16 is the wrong route to it.

Last edited:

Hari Sud

Country flag
Thi

This will surely kill Tejas mk2 IAF version. And India will be fourth generation technology dumping site while the north eastern rival is heading towards 5th Gen technology. Nowadays smart and intelligent airforces import small numbers of fighter aircraft instead of large numbers.
Mk2 will make progress onlay after technological infusion. Even if, you copy nothing, just the knowledge of some technologies next door will be technology booster for local design and production.

SanjeevM

Country flag

I agree here. If we have 100% knowledge of F-16, it can validate our advancements for MK2.

We will also be the global workshop for F-16. We can force U.S. to pass on the maintenance contracts for F-16 world wide to India. It will boost Indian aeronautics /aerospace sector. We will have groups of industries supporting each other. It reminds me of how Chinese advanced in smartphone manufacturing. All part made by workshops located in same area.

Our young engineers will get jobs and experience. Next generation will have new career options. This is a pre-requisite of further research and development. Who knows if these engineers develop something innovative.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Getting F16 in 2017 is not a smart decision.. US has consistently been unreliable especially now under Trump. The best we may get from this deal is some screwdriver technology. Don't expect anything more from LM.

We should speed up production of LCA and focus on AMCA meanwhile we can buy more Rafale as a stop gap solution.

Spending $20B on limited number of PAK FA in its current form is a much better option than F16.

Future wars will be fought with more sophisticated machines. If we want to keep up with the future we must invest now.

Krusty

Country flag
If we have 100% knowledge of F-16,
Do you seriously expect 100% TOT on the Ditigal terrain system, latest EW suite, HMD, Fire control radar, modular Mission computer among others ? Do you think we will get all these (even this being a small list of the subsystems)?

captscooby81

Country flag
As people here talking about F-35 will be offered to india in future by US..This is happening right now in US :hehe:

Dozens Of F-35 Fighters Grounded After Oxygen Problem, Pilots Fell Sick

The F-35 stealth fighters were grounded Friday due to five incidents since May 2 in which pilots experienced hypoxia-like symptoms.

WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES: The US Air Force has temporarily grounded dozens of F-35 stealth fighters while it investigates an oxygen supply issue aboard the expensive planes, officials said Monday.

The 56th Fighter Wing of Luke Air Force Base, Arizona "will continue their pause in local F-35A flying to coordinate analysis and communication between pilots, maintainers, medical professionals and a team of military and industry experts," spokeswoman Major Rebecca Heyse said in a statement.

The planes were grounded Friday due to five incidents since May 2 in which pilots experienced hypoxia-like symptoms.

Currently, the Wing has 55 F-35A planes that are used to train pilots from the US and other air forces that are buying the jet.

Heyse said it was unclear when the "pause" would be lifted, but noted that none of the incidents were serious and pilots were able to use their training to avert any problems.

"The safety of our airmen is paramount and we will take as much time as necessary to ensure their safety," she said.

Another spokesman, Captain Mark Graff, said in a statement that a backup oxygen system kicked in as designed.

The F-35 comes in three versions, with the "A" model being that of the Air Force.

The Marines have a version that can land vertically, and the Navy's variant will be able to land on carriers.

With a current development and acquisition price tag already at $379 billion for a total of 2,443 F-35 aircraft -- most destined for the Air Force -- the F-35 is the most expensive plane in history, and costs are set rise further still.

Once servicing and maintenance costs for the F-35 are factored in over the aircraft's lifespan through 2070, overall program costs are expected to rise to $1.5 trillion.

Proponents tout the F-35's radar-dodging stealth technology, supersonic speeds, close air-support capabilities, airborne agility and a massive array of sensors giving pilots unparalleled access to information.

But the program has faced numerous delays, cost overruns and setbacks, including a mysterious engine fire in 2014 that led commanders to ground planes until the problem could be resolved.

Other problems include software bugs, technical glitches and even a faulty eject system that risked killing pilots who weighed less than 136 pounds (62 kilograms).

Krusty

Country flag
As people here talking about F-35 will be offered to india in future by US..This is happening right now in US :hehe:

Dozens Of F-35 Fighters Grounded After Oxygen Problem, Pilots Fell Sick

The F-35 stealth fighters were grounded Friday due to five incidents since May 2 in which pilots experienced hypoxia-like symptoms.

WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES: The US Air Force has temporarily grounded dozens of F-35 stealth fighters while it investigates an oxygen supply issue aboard the expensive planes, officials said Monday.

The 56th Fighter Wing of Luke Air Force Base, Arizona "will continue their pause in local F-35A flying to coordinate analysis and communication between pilots, maintainers, medical professionals and a team of military and industry experts," spokeswoman Major Rebecca Heyse said in a statement.

The planes were grounded Friday due to five incidents since May 2 in which pilots experienced hypoxia-like symptoms.

Currently, the Wing has 55 F-35A planes that are used to train pilots from the US and other air forces that are buying the jet.

Heyse said it was unclear when the "pause" would be lifted, but noted that none of the incidents were serious and pilots were able to use their training to avert any problems.

"The safety of our airmen is paramount and we will take as much time as necessary to ensure their safety," she said.

Another spokesman, Captain Mark Graff, said in a statement that a backup oxygen system kicked in as designed.

The F-35 comes in three versions, with the "A" model being that of the Air Force.

The Marines have a version that can land vertically, and the Navy's variant will be able to land on carriers.

With a current development and acquisition price tag already at $379 billion for a total of 2,443 F-35 aircraft -- most destined for the Air Force -- the F-35 is the most expensive plane in history, and costs are set rise further still.

Once servicing and maintenance costs for the F-35 are factored in over the aircraft's lifespan through 2070, overall program costs are expected to rise to $1.5 trillion.

Proponents tout the F-35's radar-dodging stealth technology, supersonic speeds, close air-support capabilities, airborne agility and a massive array of sensors giving pilots unparalleled access to information.

But the program has faced numerous delays, cost overruns and setbacks, including a mysterious engine fire in 2014 that led commanders to ground planes until the problem could be resolved.

Other problems include software bugs, technical glitches and even a faulty eject system that risked killing pilots who weighed less than 136 pounds (62 kilograms).
Tangent: The oxygen problem was faced by F22 Pilots too. Hypoxia was a regular trend among the F22 Pilots. They say they have fixed the issue.. but still, to have nagging problems on a platform that's over 15 years old .. that too by the country with the most experience in fifth generation aircrafts and operating them for the longest time...

Hard to believe, the F22 raptor is over 15 years old already.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles