Imported Single Engine Fighter Jet Contest

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Wonderful marketing by SAAB, unfortulately India is already covered in the area where Gripen might be in use with our own Tejas.
But on a scale of 10, where does the Tejas Mk 1 or Mk II stand in relation to the Gripen NG?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
But on a scale of 10, where does the Tejas Mk 1 or Mk II stand in relation to the Gripen NG?
Does not matter where it stands as of now. Tejas and NLCA is not fully developed yet but since it is our product we can progressively increase its capability and bring it to where we need. But since question has been asked i will give Tejas lesser marks than Gripen C and LCA MK-2 than Gripen E. But in both cases, reason is lesser internal volume, which reduces fuel load, hence lesser marks. Rest is comparable or better say will be.

rohit b3

Country flag
These are paid articles by import lobbyists.
Tejas mk1A compares well with Gripen C at almost half the cost.

Tejas is evolving the same way like Gripen did. Initially there was a basic Gripen A/B . Then came the Gripen C/D and now from 2019 Gripen NG.
Similarly...Tejas mk1....Tejas mk1A and about 2025 onwards Tejas mk2.

Looking at the progress of Tejas we can say Tejas mk2 would compare well with Gripen NG as well.

We are a few years behind, but we are clearly catching up, not to mention we have a Naval version as well. All this just at a Developmental cost of less than 2 Billion$ till now.
While the developmental cost of Gripen is 13 Bil$!

Zebra

Country flag
These are paid articles by import lobbyists.
Tejas mk1A compares well with Gripen C at almost half the cost.

Can you please provide price of both the aircrafts.

Tejas is evolving the same way like Gripen did. Initially there was a basic Gripen A/B . Then came the Gripen C/D and now from 2019 Gripen NG.
Similarly...Tejas mk1....Tejas mk1A and about 2025 onwards Tejas mk2.

Looking at the progress of Tejas we can say Tejas mk2 would compare well with Gripen NG as well.

We are a few years behind, but we are clearly catching up, not to mention we have a Naval version as well. All this just at a Developmental cost of less than 2 Billion$ till now.
While the
developmental cost of Gripen is 13 Bil$!
From where you get that....!

rohit b3

Country flag
Can you please provide price of both the aircrafts.

From where you get that....!
Tejas mk1A is estimated to cost around 30mil$ flyaway
Gripen C costs 69 Mil$ Fly away

The developmental cost till the Gripen C was 13.54 Bil$ to be precise

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/dae/articles/communiques/FighterCostFinalJuly06.pdf

Look at page 8.

Similarly , Rafale programme cost is 30 Bil$ (Page 7)

While here in India, they make a big issue even sanctioning 1 Bil$ and call it a "Waste of money" , while they are ready to spend 7 Bil$ on Foreign products without even T-o-T.

Zebra

Country flag
Tejas mk1A is estimated to cost around 30mil$ flyaway
Gripen C costs 69 Mil$ Fly away

Sir, as per your own link, the Unit Procurement Cost: $ 68.90 million ($55.1 million excluding VAT) , not fly away
cost.

And again, as per your own link, the fly away cost is .................... Gripen International AB says “the fly-away cost of a Gripen in the market is between $35 million and $40 million.”

Don't spread lies here.

The developmental cost till the Gripen C was 13.54 Bil$ to be precise

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/dae/articles/communiques/FighterCostFinalJuly06.pdf

Look at page 8.

Similarly , Rafale programme cost is 30 Bil$ (Page 7)

While here in India, they make a big issue even sanctioning 1 Bil$ and call it a "Waste of money" , while they are ready to spend 7 Bil$ on Foreign products without even T-o-T.
Very clever.

But using links from wiki page won't help you sir.
Just check the descriptions ( in References / NOTE section of that page, from where you got your link, [the wiki page of Saab JAS 39 Gripen] ) it says .............. The Defense Material Agency reported 99 billion Swedish krona for the program between 1982 and 2009, including expenses for weapons and simulators.

You are talking about entire Gripen aircraft's development cost including expenses for weapons and simulators and that too since 1982, the fact is Gripen A entered in service in 1996 / 97 .

rohit b3

Country flag
Sir, as per your own link, the Unit Procurement Cost: $ 68.90 million ($55.1 million excluding VAT) , not fly away cost.

And again, as per your own link, the fly away cost is .................... Gripen International AB says “the fly-away cost of a Gripen in the market is between $35 million and $40 million.”

Don't spread lies here.

Very clever.

But using links from wiki page won't help you sir.
Just check the descriptions ( in References / NOTE section of that page, from where you got your link, [the wiki page of Saab JAS 39 Gripen] ) it says .............. The Defense Material Agency reported 99 billion Swedish krona for the program between 1982 and 2009, including expenses for weapons and simulators.

You are talking about entire Gripen aircraft's development cost including expenses for weapons and simulators and that too since 1982, the fact is Gripen A entered in service in 1996 / 97 .
"Sir", atleast mind your language.
I missed out some points, in a hurry from my own link.
According to Wikipedia, Gripen NG's Fly away cost is 113 Mil$, so in a hurry i assumed 68.9 Bil$ is also the Fly away cost of Gripen C.
Also Wiki talks about the "Programme cost" which can be interpreted with out without weapons,etc.
In this case its with weapons , which i again missed out.
Basically i was in a hurry when i typed that comment and didn complete reading my own link.

If i wanted to "Spread lies" on purpose, i wouldn give out the link and make a fool out of myself.

Thank You.

Zebra

Country flag
"Sir", atleast mind your language.
Why and what is wrong in my language...?
I am not allowed to say someone to stop their lies here.....!

I missed out some points, in a hurry from my own link.
According to Wikipedia, Gripen NG's Fly away cost is 113 Mil$, so in a hurry i assumed 68.9 Bil$ is also the Fly away cost of Gripen C.
Also Wiki talks about the "Programme cost" which can be interpreted with out without weapons,etc.
In this case its with weapons , which i again missed out.
Basically i was in a hurry when i typed that comment and didn complete reading my own link.

If i wanted to "Spread lies" on purpose, i wouldn give out the link and make a fool out of myself.

Thank You.
Sir, if I am not wrong, there are people inside and out side India, who don't want India to buy Nordic / Scandinavian stuff.
Specially the aircrafts and other platforms like it.

Anyway, at the end of the day it only counts what price Swedish has offered to MoD.

On top if it whatever you missed or you didn't missed is useless here.
As I already said it in my last post................... But using links from wiki page won't help you sir.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
...............While the developmental cost of Gripen is 13 Bil$!

.................................................................................................................

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/saab-ready-to-reveal-first-gripen-e-425451/

Saab ready to reveal first Gripen E

• 18 May, 2016
  • BY: Craig Hoyle
  • Stockholm
Saab is on course to conduct the first flight of its lead Gripen E test aircraft before year-end, with the jet to be revealed at its Linköping site in Sweden on 18 May.

“Having a roll-out of a new aircraft is a dream for a CEO,” Saab chief executive Håkan Buskhe told journalists in Stockholm the day before the event. The company believes a potential market exists to produce between 400 and 450 Gripen Es over the life of the programme, he adds.

Attendees at the roll-out of test aircraft 39-8 will include senior officials from the company’s current two customer nations, Sweden and Brazil, which have respectively ordered 60 and 36 production examples, for delivery from 2019.

A sizeable list of other nations viewed as potential future operators includes Belgium, Bulgaria, Colombia, Finland, India and Slovakia, says Jerker Ahlqvist, Saab’s head of Gripen programme.

Saab launched the Gripen E project in February 2013, and says the programme is on schedule and on budget. Noting that the cost of the development activity and producing its eventual three test aircraft will be less than $2 billion, Buskhe adds: “I believe this is the best aircraft you can buy today.”

WolfPack86

Country flag
New Fighter Jet Unveiled, Saab Says It's Looking At 'Make In India'
LINKOPING, SWEDEN:
HIGHLIGHTS
  1. Sweden's Saab unveils a new version of its Gripen combat jet
  2. Jet designed to carry more weapons further, has latest type of radar
  3. Saab says it is monitoring possible fighter purchases in India

Sweden's Saab expressed optimism about fighter exports to nations including India as it unveiled a new version of its Gripen combat jet being developed for Sweden and Brazil.

The revamped Gripen E is one of five aircraft which has attracted Finland's interest as it weighs an order for dozens of jets, according to industry executives.

Boeing's F-18, Dassault Aviation's Rafale, Lockheed Martin's F-35 and the Eurofighter Typhoon, involving BAE Systems, may also be considered.

Saab said it is also monitoring possible fighter purchases in India, which some say could seek almost 100 warplanes once it completes a delayed order for 36 French Rafales.

"I think we have a very good opportunity in India. We can make an attractive offer that would suit the Indians with their Make in India concept," Saab aeronautics head Ulf Nilsson said in an interview.

Sweden appears willing to meet India's demands for a sweeping transfer of technology, echoing a deal to sell 28 Gripen Es and 8 twin-seater Gripen Fs to Brazil.
"The solution we did there ... could very well be suitable for India," Nilsson told Reuters. He said Saab is talking to potential Indian partners, but declined to give details.

After years of indecision, some analysts believe India could seek both single-engine jets like the Gripen and Lockheed Martin F-16 and twin-engine aircraft like the Rafale or F-18.

That could give Gripen an edge against the older F-16, used by Pakistan, but diplomats warn the shape of any future contest is unclear and could take time.

The latest Gripen is designed to carry more weapons further, and to track multiple threats using the latest type of radar.

Saab unveiled the jet at its fighter plant to an audience of several hundred suppliers, media and customers on Wednesday.

"The Gripen E ensures that Gripen as a brand keeps going against the Rafale, Typhoon and F-35," said Francis Tusa, editor of Defence Analysis.
Selling for about $85 million excluding arms, the Gripen E is slightly cheaper than Rafale or Typhoon and significantly cheaper than the single-engined F-35, which is marketed for stealth, he added.

Critics say the Gripen lacks the flexibility of twin-engined rivals or the same geopolitical support as US, French or pan-European alternatives.

The first aircraft will fly around end-year.

Saab said it would continue to invest in the older and cheaper Gripen C/D model to attract a different tier of buyers.

It aims to complete a deal to supply 8 jets to Slovakia soon and has its sights on others including Croatia and Bulgaria.
© Thomson Reuters 2016
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/new-...aab-says-its-looking-at-make-in-india-1407777

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
SAAB Offers Next Gen Gripen Aircraft Under Make In India Initiative

NEW DELHI: Swedish defence major SAAB has unveiled its next generation fighter aircraft, Gripen E, which the company today said is being offered to the country under the 'Make in India' initiative with transfer of technology.

Gripen E, which was unveiled yesterday, has significantly improved avionics system when compared to previous versions of the Gripen.

The capability to carry more weapons and improved range performance, is possible with a more powerful engine and the ability to carry more fuel, the company said.

"The Gripen E is a specific configuration of Gripen NG that has been chosen by the Swedish customer. The exact configuration for another customer such as India will depend on discussions with that customer. But yes, we are offering the next generation Gripen to India, under 'Make In India' with transfer of technology," Jan Widerstrom , Country Head and Chairman, SAAB India Technologies Private Limited said.

Gripen E is equipped with a highly integrated and sophisticated sensor suite including an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, Infra Red Search and Track (IRST), Electronic Warfare (EW) suite and datalink technology, which, when combined gives the pilot, and co-operating forces exactly the information needed at all times.

Five nations currently operate Gripen: Sweden, South Africa, Czech Republic, Hungary and Thailand. Brazil has ordered Gripen, and it has also been downselected in Slovakia. Besides that, Empire Test Pilots' School (ETPS) uses Gripen as platform for test pilot training.

In 2019, deliveries of the next generation Gripen for Sweden and Brazil will begin.

SAAB, which had lost out in the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft tender in 2011 which was won by French firm Dassault Aviation, anticipates that the Indian Air Force (IAF) will need more the 36 Rafale fighter jets that it is buying from France to beef up its depleting fleet.

The company has not only offered to set up a base here but also help in the development of aerospace capability for the next 100 years. It has also offered to partner in developing the next version of indigenous Light Combat Aircraft Tejas and the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), being developed and designed by Aeronautical Development Agency.

The Indian Air Force had in last October said it would need at least six additional squadrons comprising 108 Rafale fighter jets or similar jets to shore up its capabilities.

With the government cancelling the multi-billion tender for 126 MMRCA, there is renewed hope in the aviation industry that India may go in for fresh bids to fill up the gaps.

Besides SAAB, the US' Lockheed Martin, Boeing and the France's Dassault Aviation have offered their jets in line with the government's push for Make in India.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
SAAB Offers Next Gen Gripen Aircraft Under Make In India Initiative

NEW DELHI: Swedish defence major SAAB has unveiled its next generation fighter aircraft, Gripen E, which the company today said is being offered to the country under the 'Make in India' initiative with transfer of technology.

Gripen E, which was unveiled yesterday, has significantly improved avionics system when compared to previous versions of the Gripen.

The capability to carry more weapons and improved range performance, is possible with a more powerful engine and the ability to carry more fuel, the company said.

"The Gripen E is a specific configuration of Gripen NG that has been chosen by the Swedish customer. The exact configuration for another customer such as India will depend on discussions with that customer. But yes, we are offering the next generation Gripen to India, under 'Make In India' with transfer of technology," Jan Widerstrom , Country Head and Chairman, SAAB India Technologies Private Limited said.

Gripen E is equipped with a highly integrated and sophisticated sensor suite including an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, Infra Red Search and Track (IRST), Electronic Warfare (EW) suite and datalink technology, which, when combined gives the pilot, and co-operating forces exactly the information needed at all times.

Five nations currently operate Gripen: Sweden, South Africa, Czech Republic, Hungary and Thailand. Brazil has ordered Gripen, and it has also been downselected in Slovakia. Besides that, Empire Test Pilots' School (ETPS) uses Gripen as platform for test pilot training.

In 2019, deliveries of the next generation Gripen for Sweden and Brazil will begin.

SAAB, which had lost out in the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft tender in 2011 which was won by French firm Dassault Aviation, anticipates that the Indian Air Force (IAF) will need more the 36 Rafale fighter jets that it is buying from France to beef up its depleting fleet.

The company has not only offered to set up a base here but also help in the development of aerospace capability for the next 100 years. It has also offered to partner in developing the next version of indigenous Light Combat Aircraft Tejas and the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), being developed and designed by Aeronautical Development Agency.

The Indian Air Force had in last October said it would need at least six additional squadrons comprising 108 Rafale fighter jets or similar jets to shore up its capabilities.

With the government cancelling the multi-billion tender for 126 MMRCA, there is renewed hope in the aviation industry that India may go in for fresh bids to fill up the gaps.

Besides SAAB, the US' Lockheed Martin, Boeing and the France's Dassault Aviation have offered their jets in line with the government's push for Make in India.
We need LCA MK2 to be a plane of Gripen NG class. However it is derived from MK1 and and to avoid full tests, lengths is just increased by 0.5 m only. However Naval Mk2 will be longer by 1 and half meter with all goodies.We must derive Airforce Tejas from Naval tejas MK 2 with GE 414 EPE with 116 KN . It shall be a real stuff.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Good that Saab is standing up to Lockheed Martin, Boeing Dassault , Sukhoi ,MiGs ,typhoons

Kshatriya87

Country flag

None of the major countries have this aircraft or have ordered for them. Is there a reason for that? Can we compare this with Su-30MKI?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles