Idea of citizen volunteer forces particularly IW

kj2222

Country flag
Nationalistic citizen networks can act as a force multiplier for newer unconventional frontiers of warfare like information warfare, cyber security, economic warfare, etc.

There is immense talent in the private sector in India and many of these talented citizens are patriots who are interested in contributing towards the nation.

Borrowing from the Territorial Army concept of "part time service, full time honour", I'd like to invite a discussion on the potential to build an organization of citizen volunteers who can contribute in newer frontiers of warfare.

To begin with citizen volunteer social media warriors is an example. Particularly in Kashmir information warfare has been used effectively by foreign actors to alienate the population from Tiranga. Can this be undone with active participation of social media warriors across the nation? Particularly if this can be combined with on ground inputs and actions from the Armed Forces.

Post abrogation of Article 370 there has been an incredible visible positive change in the valley with the spread of the Tiranga revolution. This is an opportune time for nationalists across the country to support armed forces activities in the valley.

Looking forward to a constructive discussion!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Nationalistic citizen networks can act as a force multiplier for newer unconventional frontiers of warfare like information warfare, cyber security, economic warfare, etc.

There is immense talent in the private sector in India and many of these talented citizens are patriots who are interested in contributing towards the nation.

Borrowing from the Territorial Army concept of "part time service, full time honour", I'd like to invite a discussion on the potential to build an organization of citizen volunteers who can contribute in newer frontiers of warfare.

To begin with citizen volunteer social media warriors is an example. Particularly in Kashmir information warfare has been used effectively by foreign actors to alienate the population from Tiranga. Can this be undone with active participation of social media warriors across the nation? Particularly if this can be combined with on ground inputs and actions from the Armed Forces.

Post abrogation of Article 370 there has been an incredible visible positive change in the valley with the spread of the Tiranga revolution. This is an opportune time for nationalists across the country to support armed forces activities in the valley.

Looking forward to a constructive discussion!
It depends on scope you are envisioning. if the agenda is a positive agenda, then there are already well established SM handles who are already doing this. if the content is creative and positive, it gets amplified based it's merit and does not need additional effort on distribution. deficiency is in creative content creation, not in intent to amplify. there are enough good people on SM in the country, who do things for common good.

kj2222

Country flag
It depends on scope you are envisioning. if the agenda is a positive agenda, then there are already well established SM handles who are already doing this. if the content is creative and positive, it gets amplified based it's merit and does not need additional effort on distribution. deficiency is in creative content creation, not in intent to amplify. there are enough good people on SM in the country, who do things for common good.
Awesome can you please share the SM handles that are sending out positive content?

I agree with your point that good content will take care of it's own distribution. Unfortunately, those with a strategic understanding of what is required, may not be good with coming up with creative content. So when I talk about social media warriors i don't mean just about distribution, but also to help come up with the right creative content in alignment with strategic goals.

I think the missing piece currently is that there isn't a coordinated effort on the basis of on ground inputs. For example perhaps there is a need to amplify the voice of a nationalist Kashmiri or on some specific important days there needs to be a coordinated effort to drive awareness. Distribution is undoubtedly important, but there are other aspects like ideating:
Based on ground inputs understand what is important, then craft a strategy, then craft content, focus on distribution, monitor content and close loop.

Similarly, apart from "positive agenda", it's equally important to monitor trends and anti-India handles particularly to combat fake news.

Considering the above, would you say it would be beneficial to bring together nationalists on SM who are already doing good work and provide a platform for coordinated efforts?

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
I have a suggestion, you all can vote on it.

We see many paki accounts on twitter etc writing propaganda messages (like PSFAERO, PDF etc). How about we have a thread, where we collect any such message which may even tangentially violate twitter guidelines and then mass report the accounts? Like what pakis did to Wolfpack.

It could be extended later to other platforms like youtube etc, if it is even moderately sucessful.

kj2222

Country flag

We see many paki accounts on twitter etc writing propaganda messages (like PSFAERO, PDF etc). How about we have a thread, where we collect any such message which may even tangentially violate twitter guidelines and then mass report the accounts? Like what pakis did to Wolfpack.

It could be extended later to other platforms like youtube etc, if it is even moderately sucessful.
+1
Please create a thread if one doesn't exist already, this is much needed!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Awesome can you please share the SM handles that are sending out positive content?

I agree with your point that good content will take care of it's own distribution. Unfortunately, those with a strategic understanding of what is required, may not be good with coming up with creative content. So when I talk about social media warriors i don't mean just about distribution, but also to help come up with the right creative content in alignment with strategic goals.

I think the missing piece currently is that there isn't a coordinated effort on the basis of on ground inputs. For example perhaps there is a need to amplify the voice of a nationalist Kashmiri or on some specific important days there needs to be a coordinated effort to drive awareness. Distribution is undoubtedly important, but there are other aspects like ideating:
Based on ground inputs understand what is important, then craft a strategy, then craft content, focus on distribution, monitor content and close loop.

Similarly, apart from "positive agenda", it's equally important to monitor trends and anti-India handles particularly to combat fake news.

Considering the above, would you say it would be beneficial to bring together nationalists on SM who are already doing good work and provide a platform for coordinated efforts?
looks like you are focussed on the valley.

check sunanda vashist, aditya raj kaul, and aarti tikoo twitter feed, anything positive about the valley they usually retweet other handles.

as far as ground inputs are concerned, i don't think people outside are of much help. me personally not a fan of OSINT, the concept is prone to biases and misinformation. we have multiple instances documented here at DFI, during critical moments wrong assumptions and inputs created havoc in SM.

kj2222

Country flag
looks like you are focussed on the valley.

check sunanda vashist, aditya raj kaul, and aarti tikoo twitter feed, anything positive about the valley they usually retweet other handles.

as far as ground inputs are concerned, i don't think people outside are of much help. me personally not a fan of OSINT, the concept is prone to biases and misinformation. we have multiple instances documented here at DFI, during critical moments wrong assumptions and inputs created havoc in SM.
Yes Aditya Raj Kaul and Aarti Tikoo already in touch. Will check Sunanda Vashisht

This video was a result of the coordinated effort based on ground input mentioned earlier:
So regarding ground input hypothetically assume that once such a social media warriors org comes into being there would be a way for it to get ground inputs that are important from the perspective of armed forces, not OSINT

Porkislayer

Country flag

Good idea. There are others who are already doing it. I was part of one such group (I can't remember the exact name but it was one of the desi OSINT handles) when I was using Twitter. I'll see if I'm still part of that group and let you guys know about it so you can add more people.

Edit: What we basically did was we would find such content that we deemed harmful and then we all reported based on what others were doing. So, all of us would report it as "promoting terrorism", for instance. That made it much more impactful in terms of getting blocks and accounts suspended.

kj2222

Country flag
Also apart from IW could such voluntary networks be set up for other forms of warfare like cyber warfare?

kj2222

Country flag
Good idea. There are others who are already doing it. I was part of one such group (I can't remember the exact name but it was one of the desi OSINT handles) when I was using Twitter. I'll see if I'm still part of that group and let you guys know about it so you can add more people.

Edit: What we basically did was we would find such content that we deemed harmful and then we all reported based on what others were doing. So, all of us would report it as "promoting terrorism", for instance. That made it much more impactful in terms of getting blocks and accounts suspended.
@SwordOfDarkness and others

Check out this handle https://mobile.twitter.com/ZaaraSyedd?t=n5um3ykmPCb8MJMRdomtKg&s=08

These covert fake handles are in some ways more dangerous than the overt ones which have many followers

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag

That is a great idea! If anyone of us uses twitter and comes across such accounts which spread fake Anti India Propoganda than we will mass Report them and delete them. Like this, the percentage of Anti-India Content will decrease.

I think so I will make the Thread. Any suggestions for a Name?

Global Defence

Articles