IAF Mi-17V5 Crashed Near Coonoor (Tamil Nadu)-CDS Onboard

The Shrike

Country flag
Can someone post the RM's statement in parliament, if he has already given it?

Viper316

Country flag
It is reported the chopper crashed as soon it has departed so it cannot be due to weather. I very much suspect it could be either engine failure or technical issue. Pilot count not be able to manure to safe landing as the terrain is slope, thus causing crash landing

another_armchair

Country flag

First hand account of the witness

Translation,

He saw heli roaring towards the ground scraped on tree line n crashed hard on the ground caught fire instantaneously....

He saw couple of ppl coming outta the heli on fire...🙁
Wait.. did he say there was an explosion first and then he saw the helicopter crashing into the trees or did he say it was a loud sound probably due to his proximity to the chopper?

Tamil is not my first language or second.. learnt a bit of spoken Tamil during my stay in TN so please correct if wrong.

Delta wing

Country flag
Hi all,
I'm a long time luker of DFI. However today I'm doing it to give as much as clear details to avoid rumors. I'm residing in coonoor, which is near to the crashed site. As of now no one knows the exact details except the higher ones. the road to the crashed site is completely close. All the vehicles are diverted. No public is allowed inside the Wellington cantonment board.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Few things I would like to add, if I may -
  • The helicopter is Mi-17V5, it is recently bought, has the latest equipment, electronics, and weather radar.

• Mi-17s are world-famous for their reliability. It sports very high availability and extremely low crash rates. Even without it, helicopters don't crash out of anywhere like fighter jets. Even in case of complete engine failure (it has 2), it can safely glide down to land.

• The pilots who fly VVIP missions are squadron commanders (i.e., the top most experienced pilots). The chances of mistakes are minimal.

• The area in which the crash happened is not in any sense volatile. Rumours of sabotage can be ruled out safely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is beyond sad. I have some experience with aviation, seeing the crash, there is <5% chance anyone will survive honestly.
Seems like the likely cause is poor visibility due to bad weather and the pilot couldn't see the hill slope and rammed it.

Global Defence

Articles