IAF Chooses Apache AH-64E Attack Helicopter

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
as apache has two pilots one controls the drones another the apache..so,mission is never compromised
Apache crew do not have to always control the drones. These drones can be semi-autonomous. In other words the flight path is already programmed but the pilot can make adjustments or take control of the flight while the drone is already on air. So even if the Apache crew are busy making evasive maneuvers the drone will fly on its own.

Information will not only come from drones, they can also come from other apache helicopters and other assets that are networked to the apache.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If I had to fly over the mountains and glaciers, I'd pick HAL LCH. If at lower altitudes, I'd pick AH-64D.
The question is in combat in a highly contested environment where you will be shot at by MANPADs, AA and rifles.

rohit b3

Country flag
Have you ever wondered why the LCH is so much lighter than the Apache? Let me ask you, if given a free choice, which would you ride into combat with Pakistan, LCH or Apache?
One of the main reason why LCH is soo much lighter is because of the use of high tech advanced Composties instead of metal. Not only it makes the Helicopter Lighter, but also stronger and easier to maintain. It also does not reflect as much radar as metal, thus putting LCH in a class or Semi-Stealth of Low Observable(LO) aircrafts.

And its not easy to develop such quality of composites and incorporate them in your equipements, and DRDO has done a pretty good job at it.

And personally, even though this question wasnt asked to me,

If i want a quick stealthy operation at night, or anytime when the enemy doesn expect it, i would use a LCH. These kinda strikes,if done succesfully, does a lot of damage with minium casualties.

If i want to enter a full fledged ongoin battle, i could choose an Apache or LCH, maybe a slight edge to Apache.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
One of the main reason why LCH is soo much lighter is because of the use of high tech advanced Composties instead of metal. Not only it makes the Helicopter Lighter, but also stronger and easier to maintain. It also does not reflect as much radar as metal, thus putting LCH in a class or Semi-Stealth of Low Observable(LO) aircrafts.

And its not easy to develop such quality of composites and incorporate them in your equipements, and DRDO has done a pretty good job at it.

And personally, even though this question wasnt asked to me,

If i want a quick stealthy operation at night, or anytime when the enemy doesn expect it, i would use a LCH. These kinda strikes,if done succesfully, does a lot of damage with minium casualties.

If i want to enter a full fledged ongoin battle, i could choose an Apache or LCH, maybe a slight edge to Apache.

First time to hear that LCH is stealthy. The shape certainly isn't stealthy...

It's very hard to make a helicopter stealthy. The rotors alone will be hard to shape. Maybe this is the reason that the Americans stopped developing the Comanche. But if you want to be stealthy, any decent helicopter can evade radar by flying below it. You will however be vulnerable to small arms fire, which the LCH cannot tolerate much.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am not into armchair game, If you making a dick measuring contest between LCH and AH-64E ..

I will put this down you head that LCH is as per GSQR and AH-64 is not, Keep that in mind before going further ..

Have you ever wondered why the LCH is so much lighter than the Apache? Let me ask you, if given a free choice, which would you ride into combat with Pakistan, LCH or Apache?

happy

It's very hard to make a helicopter stealthy. The rotors alone will be hard to shape. Maybe this is the reason that the Americans stopped developing the Comanche. But if you want to be stealthy, any decent helicopter can evade radar by flying below it. You will however be vulnerable to small arms fire, which the LCH cannot tolerate much.
It was quoted in many reviews that LCH has stealth profiling. What does that mean?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Read the post carefully , Don't put your words in other`s mouth ..

It was quoted in many reviews that LCH has stealth profiling. What does that mean?
One of the main reason why LCH is soo much lighter is because of the use of high tech advanced Composties instead of metal. Not only it makes the Helicopter Lighter, but also stronger and easier to maintain. It also does not reflect as much radar as metal, thus putting LCH in a class or Semi-Stealth of Low Observable(LO) aircrafts..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't know what they meant by that but the helicopter below is designed to be stealthy, notice the shape:

happy

Read the post carefully , Don't put your words in other`s mouth ..
In all the below mentioned articles, it was said explicitly that LCH has stealth capabilities. @asianobserve mentioned only about its rotor. He also conveniently left out the part that any aircraft flying below radar is invisible to radar. I just wanted more clarification what he meant.

@Gunship special: The top attack helicopters - Army Technology

@Indian Military Review, Indian Defence Yearbook, Defence Trade Directory & Buyer's Guide

@Comments on Asia: Indian LCH looks better than WZ-10

@HAL Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) - Airforce Technology

Last edited by a moderator:

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

The Blackhawks designed as some Stealth Specifications ..Some of the modified Black hawks used in Bin ladens Raid

Once US offered Stealth Black Hawk to India

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

happy

I don't know what they meant by that but the helicopter below is designed to be stealthy, notice the shape:

You have given the pic of Comanche which was discontinued due to many problems.

Like its ability to fly, many other aspects of Comanche's technology were deemed too risky (i.e. immature i.e. hadn't actually been developed i.e. didn't exist). According to testing performed in 2003, the design still had serious technical challenges in the areas of "software integration and testing of mission equipment, weight reduction, radar signatures, antenna performance, gun system performance, and aided target detection algorithm performance." Aside from the electronics, the software, the weapon system, the engines and the overall weight, apparently everything else was fine.

Read more: Real Lessons From an Unreal Helicopter | TIME.com
It would be better to support your argument with something that is in service.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
LCH has stealthy capabilities coz its not made of entirely Metal, Metal Surface reflect radar waves where as Composite does little or no ..

LCH is made of Composite material that means lesser radar reflection, It will also come with radar reflecting coating same as on Tejas the LCA, Hence Stealthy properties ..

=================

Now days there are low level radar which are design to detect low level flying Choppers and Planes, One cannot escape unless use electronic means to counter such radars ..

-----------
@SajeevJino, uh-60m black hawk are not stealth hawks there are no designation for it ..

In all the below mentioned articles, it was said explicitly that LCH has stealth capabilities. I just wanted more clarification what he meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
LCH has stealthy capabilities coz its not made of entirely Metal, Metal Surface reflect radar waves where as Composite does little or no ..

LCH is made of Composite material that means lesser radar reflection, It will also come with radar reflecting coating same as on Tejas the LCA, Hence Stealthy properties ..

=================

Now days there are low level radar which are design to detect low level flying Choppers and Planes, One cannot escape unless use electronic means to counter such radars ..
Sir IMHO still their is scope for improvement in design of LCH, but this should be undertaken only after 50 or so helicopters.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, I am sure TD-3 will come with many gifts ..

I hope the LCH evolution must continue .. :)

Sir IMHO still their is scope for improvement in design of LCH, but this should be undertaken only after 50 or so helicopters.

happy

Yeah also radar suppressing hubs can be added to the rotors same like on Black Hawk which went down in Pakistan.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You have given the pic of Comanche which was discontinued due to many problems.

It would be better to support your argument with something that is in service.

The point of posting a picture of the Comanche is to illustrate how a stealthy helicopter should look like. Form that picture you'll notice that it has that signature stealth shaping for the whole body, retracted landing gears and covered chin cannon. RAM coatings and composite construction can further reduce its radar signature but it is mainly shaping that determines it. (Notice how the Americans have to modify the Black Hawk to make it stealthy).

happy

The point of posting a picture of the Comanche is to illustrate how a stealthy helicopter should look like. Form that picture you'll notice that it has that signature stealth shaping for the whole body, retracted landing gears and covered chin cannon. RAM coatings and composite construction can further reduce its radar signature but it is mainly shaping that determines it. (Notice how the Americans have to modify the Black Hawk to make it stealthy).
You have not answered my question.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles