I was offered a bribe of Rs. 14 crore, says Army Chief

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Army chief visits native village, keeps mum on bribery row

Deepender Deswal, TNN | Mar 28, 2012, 05.35AM IST

BAPORA (BHIWANI): His disclosure about being made a Rs 14 crore bribery offer by a lobbyist may have created a furore in the power circles, but the Indian Army chief General V K Singh looked calm and confident during his visit to his native village to attend a medical camp for veterans of Indian Army on Tuesday.

General Singh remained in the village for about one-and-a-half hours during which time he inspected the medical camp and an exhibition showcasing the might of the Indian Army to motivate youth to join the Army. He however kept mum on the bribery controversy -- neither did he talk to mediapersons nor did he deliver any speech at any of the two functions.

A visibly relaxed Gen Singh met some villagers, mostly ex-servicemen besides NCC cadets and Army officials. Some villagers even managed to cross the barricade to reach to Army chief though police and Army personnel had laid a tight security ring at the venue of the medical camp. Mitrapal Singh, an ex-serviceman who was among the villagers who met him told TOI that they just exchanged pleasantries with him. "There was no discussion about the ongoing controversy or any other Army-related issue. He was happy to meet us and inquired about the wellbeing of our families," he said.

Another villager, Subedar (retd) Satbir Singh maintained that the entire village, especially defence personnel supported him in his struggle against corrupt elements. "We knew that there was corruption in the higher echelons of the Army for many years. General Singh has tried to cleanse the system but a lobby has been working against him. He has done excellent work during his stint", he said, while adding that they supported him morally regarding his disclosure about the bribery offer as they knew that he had a clear conscience.

The Hisar military station had organized the medical camp where Army veterans and their families took the benefit of medical facilities and were screened for anaemia, diabetes, eye, skin disorders and gynaecological problems. The two-day camp will also offer health check-ups for families of local serving soldiers as well as veterans and their dependents.

Army chief visits native village, keeps mum on bribery row - The Times of India

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
I asked Army chief to act on bribe offer, but he didn't: Antony

PTI | Mar 27, 2012, 02.02PM IST

NEW DELHI: With the Army chief's allegation of bribe offer kicking up a storm, defence minister A K Antony on Tuesday said he had asked General V K Singh to take action but he did not want to pursue the matter for unknown reasons.

Making a suo motu statement in the Rajya Sabha, Antony responded to questions as to why he did not act on the allegation by saying that he had not received any complaint from the army chief in writing.

He told the House that after Gen Singh's allegation appeared in the media yesterday, he had ordered a CBI inquiry based on newspaper reports.

"This happened more than one year ago. That is my memory. Exact date they (army officials) know because no one can meet the Army chief without any appointment," Antony said.

Recalling the incident, the minister said the Army chief had told him that one retired General Tejender Singh met him and offered Rs 14 crore bribe. "I was shocked... It took me one to two minutes to regain my composure. Then I told him to take action but he told me I do not want to pursue it. I don't know why he did not want to pursue it at that time," Antony said.

He assured the House that action will be taken against the guilty, however powerful they may be. "I will take action, nobody will be spared. If anybody is found guilty, whoever he is, however powerful he may be, I will take action," Antony said.

"I acted on my judgement. If I am wrong, you may punish me. I think I have done my best," he said.

The minister said in the past he has taken action even on anonymous complaints from any quarters.

Admitting that he could have acted when Gen Singh told him about the bribe offer, Antony said as a minister "I cannot act just on a complaint...I did not get any written complaint at any stage."

He was responding to questions by opposition members as to why he did not act despite the matter being brought to his notice by none other than the Army chief.

Antony, who at the outset said, "I will say truth, nothing but truth" repeated at this stage "I am telling you the truth that has happened."

The minister said that when he read about the allegations in a newspaper yesterday, he immediately told the defence secretary to take action without waiting for any formal complaint. "This was action I took," he said.

Since then a CBI inquiry has been ordered for a comprehensive probe. "CBI will inquire into everything," Antony said.

The minister also said he cannot ignore even an anonymous complaint. "I am very clear. That is my approach...it is my priority. If a written complaint, even if anonymous, was received, I used to forward it for inquiry," he said.

Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley said opposition did not question the minister's integrity but questioned why neither Antony nor the Army chief took any action on the development that took place in September last.

"Is this an issue on which both of them should have put blinkers on their eyes and not inquired into the matter at all," Jaitley said, when the subject matter was even orally brought to the notice of defence minister by the Army Chief.

Jaitley, joined by some other members, said opposition was with him if he wanted to "cleanse" the system. The minister was, however, asked to maintain a judicious balance.

I asked Army chief to act on bribe offer, but he didn't: Antony - The Times of India

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
I am not army chief's chum: Lt Gen Singh

Last updated on: March 28, 2012 00:49 IST

Rediff.com's Sheela Bhatt caught up with Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh (retd), who has been accused of allegedly offering army chief General V K Singh a bribe of Rs 14 crore in September 2010 for an arms deal.

"This is all kite flying," says Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh (retd) when Rediff.com asks him about a newspaper report linking him with a Union minister's son with regard to influencing weapons procurement deals for the Indian military.

General Tejinder Singh has been accused of allegedly offering a bribe of Rs 14 crore (Rs 140 million) to the Chief of the Army Staff, General V K Singh in September 2010 for an arms deal.

While denying the charges, General Tejinder Singh has filed a defamation case against the army chief.

General V K Singh did not name General Tejinder Singh in his controversial interviews this week. But on Tuesday Defence Minister A K Antony mentioned General Tejinder Singh's name, saying that the army chief had informed him then that General Tejinder Singh had offered him a bribe.

This makes the matter very serious, one which cannot be pushed under the carpet any more.

According to a column published in the Sunday Guardian newspaper, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh is 'not an unknown figure within the world of suppliers of equipment.'

Quoting an unnamed source, the columnist alleged that Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh 'operates in tandem' with a retired Major Hooda and his son, both of whom are well known to a Union minister's son.

"I am not a bum chum of army chief V K Singh. We are not even friends. I am just his professional colleague. Why would I offer him money when I am quite junior to him?" Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh asked.

"I have nothing to hide," he says. "I am ready for the CBI inquiry. I have no idea why General V K Singh is talking like this, but you should check if he is trying to divert attention. Why does he want to create a controversy at this point of time?"

Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh is obviously very upset and disturbed by the turn of events.

His problem is compounded by the fact that the army chief's allegation is too serious and intriguing to ignore.

He has been accused of offering a bribe of Rs 14 crore to the army chief to ensure procurement of sub-standard trucks.

This, in other words, means that Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh was doing something against the interests of the Indian Army, its soldiers and the country he once swore to defend to his last breath.

The charge is more than just one of corruption; it is one of being unpatriotic.

Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh staunchly denies any links with arms dealers in the country.

He told Rediff.com, "I have no link with any arms company. I have never worked for any of them. It can easily be established that I have never worked for any company."

Before his retirement from the Indian Army two years ago, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh headed the Defence Intelligence Agency.

"The Tatra is working under a government-owned company. Why would I offer a bribe for it? I am neither a friend of the army chief nor his bum chum. Yes, it is true that I did not support his claim of his date of birth. In that controversy, I opposed him because I followed the Supreme Court, which gave a verdict on his birth date contrary to his claims."

Asked about the motive behind the army chief's allegations, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh says, "I don't know. You should ask him. I can give you a hypothesis. Is he trying to divert attention from the snooping done in the Raksha Mantri's office? You should find out."

"You should also find out why he was quiet since September 2010," Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh adds. "Why did he not say anything on the issue when he was doing the drama about his birth date? I can't say anything. You should find out. Since his claim on his age was not accepted, he was upset."

It is obvious that Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh and army chief General V K Singh are targeting each other.

An army press release issued a few days ago named Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh for planting news reports on the alleged bugging of Defence Minister A K Antony's office.

Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh accepts meeting the army chief in September 2010 to get himself re-employed.

"I met him for a posting in the intelligence outfit," reveals Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh. "The army was looking for an officer of the rank of lieutenant general."

Asked about the impact of the ugly controversy on the Indian Army's morale, Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh acknowledges, "We have never seen things like this."

EXCLUSIVE! I am not army chief's chum: Lt Gen Singh - Rediff.com News

pmaitra

What has the photo of those two UralAZ and ZIL lorries with BM-21 'Grad' got to do with this news article? Just wondering.

Edit: Ok UralAZ is relevant, not the other one.

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
CBI to file FIR after March 30, say sources

NDTV Correspondent with PTI inputs, Updated: March 28, 2012 08:33 IST

New Delhi: The CBI is wasting no time in tracking down the details of whether the Army Chief, General VK Singh, was offered a bribe of Rs 14 crore to clear a deal for sub-standard trucks. Sources say the CBI met the Army Chief on Monday for an initial response but the General is said to have told the agency that he will give a detailed response only after March 30, after he returns from his trip abroad.

NDTV has learnt that the investigating agency is likely to file a First Information Report or FIR after March 30th.

It now turns out that the offer of the bribe was also recorded on tape, though it's not yet clear who organised the taping. Sources say that the tape has been delivered to the CBI. Press Trust of India cites sources in the CBI to claim that the Army Chief can be heard shouting on the tape. But the authenticity of the tapes has yet to be tested.

The agency has also asked the Defence Ministry to make available a complaint from General Singh besides other details such as list of witnesses and supporting documents after which it would initiate its probe in the case.

"No formal complaint or any other document or supporting material received from Ministry of Defence as of now. The CBI has not registered any preliminary enquiry in the case," CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said.

Dramatic new twists emerged yesterday in the case of the 14-crore bribe that was offered to the Army chief in 2010. Defence Minister AK Antony told Parliament that the Army chief had refused to take action after being offered the kickback in his own office by a retired defence officer. "I was shocked. I told him to take action, but he said 'I refuse to pursue the matter'," Mr Antony said.

General Singh had said in an interview that money was offered to him to clear the purchase of 600 "sub-standard" Tatra trucks. At the time, he said, 7000 trucks were already in use by the Army.

Mr Antony corroborated what the Army chief had said on Monday - that after the money was offered to him, the General reported the incident to the minister. But Mr Antony, unlike the General, named the alleged lobbyist. The minister said the Army chief had told him that retired Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh had offered him the kickback. Tejinder Singh yesterday sued the Army chief for defamation. He also told NDTV that though he did meet with General Singh in September 2010, their conversation was limited to the chances of the retired officer being hired as the head of the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO).

A CBI inquiry was ordered on Monday by the Defence Minister after General Singh went public with media interviews about the bribe that was offered to him. The CBI investigation will swing into operation after General Singh provides a written account of what happened. Explaining why he did not commission an inquiry earlier, Mr Antony told Parliament that he had not received a written complaint from the chief. General Singh's own defence has been equally unconvincing. He said yesterday, "It was not like he was giving me bribe in my hand. This was an indirect method and that is why no arrest was made."

Mr Antony's remarks - which unsubtly push the ball back into the chief's court - provide the latest expression to the strained relationship between the Defence Ministry and the Army chief.

"I will go to any extent to investigate the Army chief's allegations... all my life, I have fought against corruption" said Mr Antony, adding that he follows up even on anonymous letters that allege graft. He said he is ready to cancel any contract tainted by corruption. The BJP's Arun Jaitley responded in Parliament by saying that his party is willing to work with the government to "cleanse corruption" but he also said that it is the government's job to distinguish between frivolous and substantive charges. "There is eventually civilian control of armed forces...issues that should be settled in closed doors are becoming a public debate which in case of armed forces should be avoided," said Mr Jaitley.

General Singh wanted Army records amended to reflect that he was born in 1951 and not 1950, which is his year of birth according to the government. The issue could have affected when he would have to retire. General Singh became the first serving military chief to take the government to court but he withdrew his petition after Supreme Court judges suggested they would not be able to rule in his favour. General Singh will step down at the end of May.

14-crore bribe offered to Army chief: CBI to file FIR after March 30, say sources

Can we have faith in this CBI?...:shocked:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Thanks to our Army Chief that he finally put an end to this demoralizing fraud scheme. If he had not done what he did this would have continued for foreseeable future. I hope he expose all the shenanigans that he is aware knows about. It is time to clean up and put the thugs where they belong long term jail (Minimum 50 years). The vendor should also be booked for offering the bribe and I wonder why U.K. Government is not reacting to it since NRI company is based there. I think they have tough rules when it comes to offering bribe for business. GOI should ask for extradition of this SOB NRI.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Now then, the Army Chief writes a letter to P.M. saying that the IA Air Defence is obsolete and there is no reserve ammunition in case a war is declared. The congress is nothing but an obsolete Government and Political Party as well.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The entire cabinet of ministers are involved in 'n' number of scams and have eaten a large sum of the TAX PAYER'S MONEY which is being collected from the middle class society in a major ratio when compared with the high class and rich society. After paying the tax more than what is paid by the rich people the people who suffer in case of a war is the people in the middle class and below it. The Congress Party and also the Government is nothing but RICH PEOPLES PARTY and not AAM AADMI'S PARTY as being preached by its leaders. The Rich people are well protected by law as well as the POLICE and other security forces and the AAM AADMI is left in gutters and suddenly the ARMY CHIEF says in case of a war we have run out of reserve ammunition and also the Air Defence System is a dud and obsolete.

Ray

The Chairman
Bengal price glare on army's truck orders

Sources in the army told The Telegraph that Ural India Ltd, which has an assembly plant in Haldia, had offered to sell a category of all-terrain multi-wheeled vehicles to the army for Rs 40 lakh each while the army was buying the same category of Tatra trucks assembled by defence public sector Bharat Earth Movers Ltd (BEML) for Rs 1 crore each — a difference of Rs 60 lakh between the offered price and the price at which each truck was purchased till 2010.

The Tatra trucks are assembled by BEML under licence from Tatra Sipox UK Limited, the joint secretary (land systems) in the defence ministry had said on Monday. Defence ministry sources said on Tuesday that "the decision on whether or not to buy Tatra trucks is entirely within the ambit of the army".

But BEML is a defence public sector unit under the department of defence production of the ministry of defence. Tatra makes money through licence fees that BEML has to pay to Tatra Sipox UK Ltd with whom the agreement has been renewed since 1997. The original licence agreement with Tatra was routed through Omnipol Foreign Trade Corporation of the erstwhile Czechoslovakia.

The major stakeholder in Tatra and in Tatra Sipox UK Ltd is the Vectra Group based in the UK and owned by non-resident Indian Ravi Rishi.
And from the same article

In India, Vectra has several subsidiaries. It has an assembly plant at Hosur in Tamil Nadu, Kamaz Vectra, in which Russian firm Kamaz holds 51 per cent stakes and Vectra 49 per cent. In December 2010, the director-general of Kamaz, Sergey Kogozin, signed an agreement with V.R.S. Natarajan, the chairman-cum-managing director of BEML, for 4x4 vehicles to be supplied to the armed forces. It was estimated the armed forces need 6,000 such vehicles every year.

The Vectra Group sells or is seeking to sell heavy-duty automobiles and helicopters not only to the defence ministry but also to the home ministry. The home ministry has asked for additional helicopters to be used in counter-Maoist operations because the Indian Air Force cannot supply them in enough numbers.

The Vectra Group has also represented Eurocopter in India. In December 2007, defence minister A.K. Antony cancelled and ordered a re-bidding for a competition to purchase 197 helicopters for the Indian Army because of a senior officer's suspected connection with Global Vectra Helicorp, a Vectra Group company.

About three months ago, after the army told the defence ministry that it would not buy Tatra vehicles because BEML had not established facilities in India for the repair and refurbishment of the vehicles as spares were in short supply,
More at:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120328/jsp/frontpage/story_15304681.jsp#.T3KXMNXc9Ao

Ray

The Chairman
"I met him for a posting in the intelligence outfit," reveals Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh. "The army was looking for an officer of the rank of lieutenant general."
It means Lt Gen Tejinder Singh was lobbying for himself as it is!

Indicates to what length he can promote his own interests!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Well General has touched lot of points, including the arty saga, good thing he mentioned about the 155/39 caliber gun already fired 450 rounds, and seems to be ok. He says that the specs were so frequently changed to keep local manufacturers away, it explains the statements coming like Arjun is contemporary tanks, so can not be bought up in numbers, but T 90 purchases should not stop. The rot runs deeper.

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Hope Army Chief's revelation whether good or bad, may bring something good for Army & India..!

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Why didn't army chief probe bribe matter: Tejinder Singh

March 27, 2012

New Delhi : Named as the man who offered army chief V.K. Singh a bribe, Lt Gen (retd) Tejinder Khanna said Tuesday that if that had indeed happened then the matter should have been investigated at that time itself.

If army chief had reported the matter to (the defence minister) and if this had happened, then he should have definitely at that time investigated the matter under the law, Tejinder Singh, who filed a defamation case against the army chief in a Delhi court, told NDTV.

Defence Minister A.K. Antony told parliament Tuesday that the army chief had told him about Lt Gen Tejinder Singh offering him a bribe. But he told me he did not want to pursue it. No written complaint was given.

Till today I have not received any written complaint from him and after yesterday s (Monday) report, I have ordered a CBI inquiry, Antony said. Sending shockwaves through the defence establishment, the army chief disclosed that he was offered a kickback of Rs.14 crore in his office by a retired defence officer for clearing a tranche of 600 sub-standard vehicles. Though the general did not name Tatra, manufactured by state-owned Bharat Earth Movers Ltd (BEML) under licence from Czech-based manufacturer, it is widely believed that he was referring to it.

Tejinder Singh said he had last met the army chief in September 2010 to discuss his re-employment. I had met Singh sometime in September 2010, more than a-year-and-half ago for a personal matter related to re-employment, which I don t want to elaborate.

At this time, no conversation has taken place about any purchases or deal regarding Tatra thing being alleged about, he said. I do not work for Tatra and I don t represent it. I could not have offered him such a big amount being talked about. Whatever the allegations these should have been investigated, he said. Tejinder Singh said the matter was in court or very soon would be in the court and his lawyer would talk about it.

He denied having any personal animosity with the army chief. We have never served together never in same station or same formation even when he was army chief, I was in Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) reporting to chairman chief of staff and therefore there was no animosity.

I am told by people close to him that I was not supporting his cause (age row). It was a decision between the court, government and him and finally court gave an answer, said Tejinder Singh.

I was not close to him (Singh) and had only a professional relationship with him.

Bharat Defence Kavach - Why didn't army chief probe bribe matter: Tejinder Singh

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
In-spite of hiking the defence budget by 17% the ARMY CHIEF says that the entire fleet is working with obsolete equipment and the ARMY still does not have proper night vision capabilities. Is the CHIEF of THE ARMY lying or is the defence ministry not spending the money allotted to buy the equipment and eating away by getting sub standard equipment?

Shame on the Government Of India to remain silent about the equipment offered to the defence forces and still the home minister and the defence minister say that our defences forces are ready for anything. Think they expect the soldiers to fight with sticks and marbles to hurl around with in the case of a war.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
In letter to PM, Army chief warns India's security is in danger

New Delhi: Army chief General VK Singh wrote to the Prime Minister earlier this month, warning that Army tanks have run out of ammunition and that obsolete technology is putting the country's security at risk. The letter was raised in Parliament today, leading to more embarrassment for Defence Minister AK Antony. He said the Army chief's letter was meant to be "top secret" and that the government will respond to it "at an appropriate time."

On March 12, the General wrote to the Prime Minister asking him to "pass suitable directions to enhance the preparedness of the Army". The chief described the state of artillery, air defence, and infantry as "alarming." He writes the army's tanks are "devoid of critical ammunition to defeat enemy tanks" and air defence is "97% obsolete and it doesn't give the deemed confidence to protect... from the air." General Singh wrote to the Prime Minister after sending a similar letter a few weeks earlier directly to the Defence Minister.

The BJP in Parliament today said the government must offer a detailed explanation. The BJP's Venkaiah Naidu said, "The leakage (of the letter) is unfortunate... but this is a very serious issue. I don't want to run down the Army... but at same time, we would like to know from the government what is the action that it has taken."

General Singh and Mr Antony are already in the midst of a public war after the chief disclosed on Monday that he was offered a 14-crore bribe in 2010 to clear 600 substandard trucks for the army. Mr Antony responded yesterday that after the general shared this information with him, the minister had urged him to take action, and the Army chief refused.

For most of last year, the minister and the Army chief fought a long and public battle over General Singh's age. The government refused to accept that General Singh was born in 1951 and not 1950. Records with the army show both years, but the government said that documents used to establish his seniority and promotions declared 1950 as his year of birth and could not be amended. The Army chief took the unprecedented action of taking the government to court. But he dropped his petition after Supreme Court judges indicated they were unlikely to accept his arguments.

Read more at: In letter to PM, Army chief warns India's security is in danger

Blackwater

In letter to PM, Army chief warns India's security is in danger

New Delhi: Army chief General VK Singh wrote to the Prime Minister earlier this month, warning that Army tanks have run out of ammunition and that obsolete technology is putting the country's security at risk. The letter was raised in Parliament today, leading to more embarrassment for Defence Minister AK Antony. He said the Army chief's letter was meant to be "top secret" and that the government will respond to it "at an appropriate time."

On March 12, the General wrote to the Prime Minister asking him to "pass suitable directions to enhance the preparedness of the Army". The chief described the state of artillery, air defence, and infantry as "alarming." He writes the army's tanks are "devoid of critical ammunition to defeat enemy tanks" and air defence is "97% obsolete and it doesn't give the deemed confidence to protect... from the air." General Singh wrote to the Prime Minister after sending a similar letter a few weeks earlier directly to the Defence Minister.

The BJP in Parliament today said the government must offer a detailed explanation. The BJP's Venkaiah Naidu said, "The leakage (of the letter) is unfortunate... but this is a very serious issue. I don't want to run down the Army... but at same time, we would like to know from the government what is the action that it has taken."

General Singh and Mr Antony are already in the midst of a public war after the chief disclosed on Monday that he was offered a 14-crore bribe in 2010 to clear 600 substandard trucks for the army. Mr Antony responded yesterday that after the general shared this information with him, the minister had urged him to take action, and the Army chief refused.

For most of last year, the minister and the Army chief fought a long and public battle over General Singh's age. The government refused to accept that General Singh was born in 1951 and not 1950. Records with the army show both years, but the government said that documents used to establish his seniority and promotions declared 1950 as his year of birth and could not be amended. The Army chief took the unprecedented action of taking the government to court. But he dropped his petition after Supreme Court judges indicated they were unlikely to accept his arguments.

Read more at: In letter to PM, Army chief warns India's security is in danger

I agree with this statement.

Iamanidiot

He confirmed the low opinion I have on the state of readiness of our armed forces and their logistics .It is a great misfortune that LT.Gen H.S Panag did not become our COAS instead of Deepak Kapoor.Gen Panag is a supreme realist and he might have brought the reforms needed for our armed forces

arya

Country flag
well one question, do you really think defence minister is responsible for indian safety and security no they are not

we are just helpless we depend on other what wrong if some use our weakness ...

if i will be cheesiness pm i will use the golden time, India is in very weak condition,we have lots of thing but on papers on ground we are helpless.

we have only one thing solider life they are free they can give there life as they did in kargil

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
He confirmed the low opinion I have on the state of readiness of our armed forces and their logistics .It is a great misfortune that LT.Gen H.S Panag did not become our COAS instead of Deepak Kapoor.Gen Panag is a supreme realist and he might have brought the reforms needed for our armed forces
To put the records straight Lt Gen Panag could not have become the COAS since he would retire before he came up for reckoning.

Deepak Kapoor was way senior to him and when the COAS was considered, his seniority did not come up for consideration.

What Panag did was order a C of I of deals made by Kapoor when Kapoor was the GOC in C Northern Command.

The great honest St Anthony, our worthy Defence Minister, squashed Panag's attempt to expose and posted Panag as GOC in C ARTRAC, which is merely an academic think tank and a toothless entity.

The issue is why did Anthony and Manmohan support a crook like Kapoor?

Because they did not want to upset the 'Line of Succession' (another new thing the GoI had devised with the pliant JJ Singh) wherein favourites of the Govt would come to occupy the COAS' chair. Ji Huzoor would replace professionalism!

Last edited: