I was offered a bribe of Rs. 14 crore, says Army Chief

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Bhai but an R.T.I would not be wrong and that too it is filed by its own employee. When we were getting the same quality trucks offered by TAT and ASHOK LEYLAND why did they go for a foreign and that too not to the direct company and instead to a dealer.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Bhai but an R.T.I would not be wrong and that too it is filed by its own employee. When we were getting the same quality trucks offered by TAT and ASHOK LEYLAND why did they go for a foreign and that too not to the direct company and instead to a dealer.
Let me give you an example. Marco polo buses run by transport companies made by Tata costs about 20Lacs. Same thing made by Volvo costs 60-70L. You will find a lot more Volvos than Marco Polos. No comparison. You cannot just pick up the phone and ask can I know the price of the bus without comparing quality and what's on offer.

Bhadra

Country flag
Defence PSU in bind over Army chief's bribe offer claims

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...s-14-crore-says-army-chief-10.html#post453810

NEW DELHI: The Defence public sector unit (PSU) supplying Tatra trucks to the Army says it doesn't have any middlemen even as a senior government official said there has not been any complaint from the force about the vehicles' quality.

Caught in the thick of Army chief's allegations about the Rs 14 crore bribe offer is Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML), the Bangalore-based PSU that has an exclusive tie-up with the manufacturers of Tatra vehicle since 1986.

Army chief Gen VK Singh did not say in his latest interviews, who had offered him Rs 14 crore for supply of vehicles. However, on March 5, the Army headquarters had issued a statement saying Lt Gen Tejinder Singh, a former chief of Defence Intelligence Agency, had "offered bribe on behalf of Tatra and Vectra Limited, which supplies vehicles to BEML".

Gen Singh had reported to defence minister A K Antony about Lt Gen Tejinder Singh's 'offer' when the incident happened in 2010, according to sources. The allegations bring spotlight on Tatra vehicles, a crucial part of Army logistics which are used for transporting both arms and ammunition and personnel.

"We do not have any marketing agents. Being a defence PSU, we don't pay any commission to anybody," a senior BEML official told TOI.

Chairman and Managing Director of BEML, VRS Natarajan told TOI, "We have also seen the media reports. We are not aware as to which vehicle the Army chief is talking about. BEML management cannot comment unless it is clear which vehicle he is referring to."

Tatra vehicles are manufactured in Czech and Slovakia Republics and imported to India through BEML. After further value addition, these vehicles are supplied by BEML to the Army. Over 7,000 Tatra vehicles are in service with the Army.

Reacting to questions if the Army had complaints about the quality of Tatra vehicles, joint secretary (land systems) in the MoD Rashmi Verma said, "As far as the quality of Tatra trucks is concerned, we have received no complaint from the armed forces. We did get some complaints about after sales service and maintenance, which were resolved."

Officials in defence PSUs said they were puzzled by the Army chief's claims. "At the instance of the Army we have been importing fully formed vehicles. India has not bought the technology from Tatra. From two factories in former Czechoslovakia we get vehicles, and 60% comes as formed vehicles," one official said. Another official said that BEML was the "only marketing arm for the vehicle in India" so he was "puzzled to hear that somebody is marketing it for BEML".

In recent times, a joint venture was formed in India called Tatra Vectra Motors Ltd, a joint venture between Tatra of Czech Republic and UK-based Vectra group. The group has a manufacturing base in Hosur, Tamil Nadu, but it is not clear if the trucks supplied to the Army are manufactured in this plant.

Ray

The Chairman
The Defence Minister claims that he took no action because there was no 'written complaint'!

Is he a Charlie?

If a serious issue is reported to the Head, is he to sit around impotent for a written complaint?

If a Commanding Officer is told that there is some hanky panky in the unit, does the CO say - Hey, put it in writing?

If he does so, he is not fit to be the CO.

And can a CAOS initiate an inquiry into a Govt PSU?

Does the COAS have the authority?

Impotent clots are heading the Govt and the bureaucrats are running the show.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
It seems the conversation between Gen Singh and the person who tried to bribe is recorded. CBI got an hand on it and sent it to forensics to check its authenticity.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
General VK Sing's bribery allegation opens a can of worms

New Delhi: General VK Singh's allegations that he was offered a bribe on behalf of the makers of the Tatra trucks has opened a can of worms. Referring to Tatra, General Singh in a media interview had claimed that a lobbyist had offered him a bribe of Rs 14 crore to clear a procurement of tranche of 600 'substandard' vehicles.

In fact, the Tatra deal was always under scrutiny for its dubious shareholding and a possible loss to the Government.

The all terrain Tatra trucks, the Army's lifeline, are in use for over a decade. But General Singh is understood to have been opposed to the continuation of this deal.

In addition to alleging they were substandard, the Army Chief said he was offered a bribe by Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh on behalf of Tatra and Vetra, suppliers of the vehicles to defence PSU Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML).

The latest bribe allegation was just another controversy surrounding the deal.

The first agreement was signed in 1986 with Omnipol a Czech company. In 1992, after the bifurcation of Czechoslovakia, BEML starts buying trucks from Tatra Sipox UK.

Documents with CNN-IBN show Tatra Sipox UK was a London based trading company, not the original manufacturer, breaking the first rule of procurement, which says you must buy from the manufacturer.

Tatra Sipox balance sheets of then show it had a working capital of just 30 thousand pounds.

Its shareholder included an NRI Ravi Rishi and Joseph Majesky. The latter, according to Slovakian papers, faced jail term for siphoning funds.

Moreover, when BEML signed the MoU with Sipox the firm was registered for providing spiritual, religious, and social services.

The procurement from Sipox faced its first hurdle in 2003 when the Equipment Branch raised objects.

In the letters, copies of which are with CNN-IBN, the officer concerned raised some questions.

* Who the original manufacturer of the truck was?

* What was the source of procurement?

* What was the price at which it was being procured?

* And what the role of Tatra Sipox UK was?

Within two months, as the documents show, the letter treated cancelled.

The holding pattern then further changed, and BEML signed a joint venture between Tatra and Vectra. The latter once again has Ravi Rishi as its major shareholder.

In 2003, BEML signed a 10-year agreement with Tatra Sipox (UK) to increase the scope of the relationship. As per rules, the Chief has to sign on the defence deal every year. The last time the deal was inked was in February 2010, by Genenral (Retired) Deepak Kapoor. The red flag was raised by General VK Singh later that year, shortly after he was alleged offered a bribe by Lieutenant General Tejinder Singh.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The Defence Minister claims that he took no action because there was no 'written complaint'!

Is he a Charlie?

If a serious issue is reported to the Head, is he to sit around impotent for a written complaint?

If a Commanding Officer is told that there is some hanky panky in the unit, does the CO say - Hey, put it in writing?

If he does so, he is not fit to be the CO.

And can a CAOS initiate an inquiry into a Govt PSU?

Does the COAS have the authority?

Impotent clots are heading the Govt and the bureaucrats are running the show.
Well, Sir he is the most honest and also the only honest minister in the present cabinet and he will go only according to the rules and everybody knows what is the state of enquiry if the GOVERNMENT starts one. HA ha ha ha ha...........

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The enquiry will be started in days time and if I am not wrong the C.B.I. have called the Chief to start with the investigation and this will end in five years and the verdict will be out in next 10 years and by that time all the money will be spent and enjoyed and all the people involved will just give a BURP from from their mouth after eating the money and will spend their time in V.V.I.P. jail with all the luxurious facilities. Not even a single paisa will come out and all the ex-Exchequer's money is wasted for nothing but junk.

Ray

The Chairman
This is how PSU and DRDO works.

I rest my case!

Ray

The Chairman
Well, Sir he is the most honest and also the only honest minister in the present cabinet and he will go only according to the rules and everybody knows what is the state of enquiry if the GOVERNMENT starts one. HA ha ha ha ha...........
I appreciate honesty.

But I cannot condone impotency as honesty.

And don't ask me to give it in writing! :rofl: