I was offered a bribe of Rs. 14 crore, says Army Chief

Ray

The Chairman
Teji may as well tell what he has to say to the CBI and the Court!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
No complaints against Tatra trucks: defence ministry

Mar 26, 2012

New Delhi: None of the three services has complained against the British origin TATRA trucks
British Origin..

Questions unanswered are...

• Army chief said, bribe was offered after 6 months after he took as Army Chief in 2010. What made him to hide this for so long?..
That is not how things goes, It obvious how he worked out this all..

His first Priority is to Update army from Inside out that takes plenty of time, If he had raised this issue all those things he planed for Army wouldn't happen..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Tatra is British origin? :rofl:

Tatra has been in IA for ages. I don't know why it had to as alleged bribe? Tatra has license agreement with BEML. Even our missile launchers are on it IMIIC.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Tape recording of bribe offer made to Army Chief General VK Singh exists: Ex-Army officer

New Delhi: A former Army officer claims that a tape recording of the bribe offer made to Army Chief General VK Singh exists. According to Colonel (Retired) RSN Singh the tape has recorded the voice of a man who says that Army chiefs before General VK Singh have accepted money.

In the tape a man reportedly tells Army Chief General VK SIngh that Army chiefs after him will also be taken care of. The tape reportedly has the Army Chief ordering the man to out of his office after the man offered bribe for clearing the purchase of sub-standard all-terrain vehicles for the forces.

"I'm told that in this tape, there is that conversation which the General talks about. The gentleman concerned, is heard offering bribe and telling the Chief that chiefs before you have taken bribes and chiefs after you will take bribes. So why don't you fall in the line. And then I'm told that General VK Singh can be heard shouting on this fellow that you get out of my office before I do something else to you," said Colonel (Retired) RSN Singh.

The tape is in the custody of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which began investigating the bribery allegation on Tuesday. The agency is likely to send the tape for forensic tests to find out if it is genuine or not.

The CBI will also ask for a formal complaint from General VK Singh in connection with his allegation. Agency sources on Tuesday said action would be initiated after getting a formal complaint from General Singh.

They said besides the complaint, he would also have to provide other details like date of meeting with the lobbyist, a possible witness list and supporting documents among other details in the case. The sources said the agency has not registered any formal inquiry in the case so far and any action would be initiated after a formal communique from the Singh is received.

They said they have received a "reference" from the Defence Ministry to probe the matter and it has been processed as per the laid down procedure. The agency sources said a preliminary inquiry or an FIR could be registered soon after completion of the procedural requirements.

The Army chief had claimed in a media interview that an equipment lobbyist had offered him a bribe of Rs 14 crore, a matter which he had reported to Defence Minister AK Antony.
Things are getting interesting day by day. Let's see if something useful comes out of this episode.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Question still remains, why did the COAS and DefMin remain quiet for 2 years?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
However, as expected, India's hyperventilating broadcast news media seems to have missed the woods for the trees. For instance, the entire focus has been on this retired Lt Gen, despite the obvious fact that it is simply beyond the means of this retired Lt Gen to offer the Rs13 crore (US$2.5 million) bribe out of his own pockets. Obviously therefore, this retired Lt Gen was allegedly acting as a messenger on behalf of his principal, which can only be either the UK-based VECTRA Group, or an offshore front company affiliated to the VECTRA Group. This then leads us to ask the following questions, which I had first raised some two weeks ago:

1) How does one explain the UK-based VECTRA Group's dealings in India with TATRA AS of the Czech Republic, when it is BEML that is the sole distributor of TATRA vehicles in India? (See: Vectra Group - Contact Us)

2) Does it mean that BEML and the VECTRA Group have a financial understanding under which VECTRA collects royalty payments from BEML for every unit of TATRA vehicles sold in India, and then shares such payments with certain Indian citizens or NRIs possessing offshore savings accounts?

3) How come the VECTRA Group's helicopter charter service is the ONLY one that has been granted permission to operate out of Greater NOIDA?

4) Isn't it true that this helicopter charter service is also the unofficial agent/promoter in India of the Eurocopter AS.550C3 LOH/LUH?

4) Is there any connection between an Indian by the name of Ravinder Rishi (see: VECTRA - A Quaterly Magazine) and the MoD-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL)?

5) Is it true that the VECTRA Group had hired two retired senior service officers about four years ago for actively lobbying for the AS.550C3s?

TRISHUL: TATRA Versus TATA

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
A very KEY R.T.I. document concerned to the buying of TATRA trucks has been obtained by NDTV and it shows all that the government has been paying too much for the trucks beyond the original cost and NDTV is going to AIR the news at 6:00 p.m. today.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Passing the ball

---------

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/12426526.cms

NEW DELHI: With the Army chief's allegation of bribe offer kicking up a storm, defence minister A K Antony on Tuesday said he had asked General V K Singh to take action but he did not want to pursue the matter for unknown reasons.

Making a suo motu statement in the Rajya Sabha, Antony responded to questions as to why he did not act on the allegation by saying that he had not received any complaint from the army chief in writing.

He told the House that after Gen Singh's allegation appeared in the media yesterday, he had ordered a CBI inquiry based on newspaper reports.

"This happened more than one year ago. That is my memory. Exact date they (army officials) know because no one can meet the Army chief without any appointment," Antony said.

Recalling the incident, the minister said the Army chief had told him that one retired General Tejender Singh met him and offered Rs 14 crore bribe. "I was shocked... It took me one to two minutes to regain my composure. Then I told him to take action but he told me I do not want to pursue it. I don't know why he did not want to pursue it at that time," Antony said.

He assured the House that action will be taken against the guilty, however powerful they may be. "I will take action, nobody will be spared. If anybody is found guilty, whoever he is, however powerful he may be, I will take action," Antony said.

"I acted on my judgement. If I am wrong, you may punish me. I think I have done my best," he said.

The minister said in the past he has taken action even on anonymous complaints from any quarters.

Admitting that he could have acted when Gen Singh told him about the bribe offer, Antony said as a minister "I cannot act just on a complaint...I did not get any written complaint at any stage."

He was responding to questions by opposition members as to why he did not act despite the matter being brought to his notice by none other than the Army chief.

Antony, who at the outset said, "I will say truth, nothing but truth" repeated at this stage "I am telling you the truth that has happened."

The minister said that when he read about the allegations in a newspaper yesterday, he immediately told the defence secretary to take action without waiting for any formal complaint. "This was action I took," he said.

Since then a CBI inquiry has been ordered for a comprehensive probe. "CBI will inquire into everything," Antony said.

The minister also said he cannot ignore even an anonymous complaint. "I am very clear. That is my approach...it is my priority. If a written complaint, even if anonymous, was received, I used to forward it for inquiry," he said.

Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley said opposition did not question the minister's integrity but questioned why neither Antony nor the Army chief took any action on the development that took place in September last.

"Is this an issue on which both of them should have put blinkers on their eyes and not inquired into the matter at all," Jaitley said, when the subject matter was even orally brought to the notice of defence minister by the Army Chief.

Jaitley, joined by some other members, said opposition was with him if he wanted to "cleanse" the system. The minister was, however, asked to maintain a judicious balance.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The tool box offered by TATRA is Rs.31,000 for Heavy Duty trucks, when in the market in Delhi the same quality tool box came at Rs. 2000 to 3000.

The tarpolian sheets which are required to cover the vehicle were brought for Rs.30,000 and the rate in the open market with the same quality was Rs.3000.

The fire extinguisher costed around Rs.10,000 from Tatra and in the open market it costed around Rs.1500 to 2000.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Ray Sir please bring in some light about the quality of the TATRA trucks and other things which come along with the truck.......

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The rate for a TATRA truck is Rs.80,00,000 and the TATA offered the same heavy duty truck with much more quality than offered by TATRA is aroun Rs.16 to 18,00,000 and we have some 7000 or even more trucks in service and if we go through the past years of purchase we can estimate the scam and amount of money being laundered under the curtain.

Blackwater

The rate for a TATRA truck is Rs.80,00,000 and the TATA offered the same heavy duty truck with much more quality than offered by TATRA is aroun Rs.16 to 18,00,000 and we have some 7000 or even more trucks in service and if we go through the past years of purchase we can estimate the scam and amount of money being laundered under the curtain.
Q is Indian army using Tatras for the last 30 yrs. Why its been imported all the time ? why dont we made these in BHEL under TOT?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Comparing anything with Delhi market price is just not on unless they are comparing same quality and brand. You will get the worst quality material in Delhi market.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Yusuf bhai see NDTV now and this is not anyone's verification in fact it an R.T.I. document and the person who got this R.T.I. is Anil Bakshi who has worked with BEML in the procurement section.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The material was compared with the material offered by TATRA and found that the material in the market is of good quality.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Sesha,

I can give you a jack for 1000-5000 for a 2Ton Jack.

If these reporters just called the Chawri Bazar market and asked how much such and such thing costs, then obviously they will get some cheap quotes.

What I have seen in defence sector is that the quality of material used (mostly imported) is very good as it has to survive in the battle field. You cannot use a cheap Chinese Jack which is going to breakdown.

So I just doubt that particular comparison being floated around.