HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
HELINA is also capable of LOAL
But AFAIK it has not been tested in that mode!!
What is funny is how it was planned for the LOAL mode with fiber optic cable to be a stop gap till a seeker powerful enough for LOBL from 7+ km could be formed. This is what he says in this 11 year old video below. This was meant to ensure that the weapon was ready on time for the LCH because DRDO knew a high res IIR seeker will take time to develop. But now the situation is that the seeker has developed, LOBL mode has been tested multiple times, its working and now we have LCH that is in service but in all this the LOAL mode is still not tested and LCH is without the ATGM. WTF is happening LOL.

EDIT: @ezsasa This video dives into detail of how the target acquisition and guidance of HeliNa is done. From this we can see that its the WSO that is the limiting factor in how many targets LCH will be able to persecute with ATGM simultaneously.

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

binayak95

Country flag
And all carrying SANT missiles. That is a total of 80 SANT missiles that can be fired at an armoured column 10 km away. Enough firepower to rout an entire Armoured Brigade.
That American BCT has some Stryker SHORADS that would like to have a word with you.

We need to modify the Kestrel, give it SHORADS and a high RoF 30mm cannon with smart fusing. Anti everything.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
That American BCT has some Stryker SHORADS that would like to have a word with you.

We need to modify the Kestrel, give it SHORADS and a high RoF 30mm cannon with smart fusing. Anti everything.
I didn't say American SBCT, did I? For our purposes, its a good "fcuk everything in that general direction" weapon to use against the Pakis. Paki SHORAD would be lucky to shoot down even a third of the SANT missiles. And no question of shooting down the heptrs because they were all hiding behind the trees with only the Apache rotor's topside peeking so that the longbow can get a lock. Ofcourse I am oversimplifying a bit, actual tactical situations are usually much more complex.

Kestrel SHORAD is a good idea. We should have a C-RAM based on it.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
7.5 /10 could show the industries missile firing explosions etc
There we go gentlemen, this heli indeed the most beautiful i have seen ever , and honestly it looks better than Apache to me , yours opinion might differ .
Its just that it lacks armament self sufficiency , the rockets pods are thales 70 mm rockets Made in Belgium. And the gun is french..the air to air missile is made by mistral
No indigenous weapons

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
There we go gentlemen, this heli indeed the most beautiful i have seen ever , and honestly it looks better than Apache to me , yours opinion might differ .
Its just that it lacks armament self sufficiency , the rockets pods are thales 70 mm rockets Made in Belgium. And the gun is french..the air to air missile is made by mistral
No indigenous weapons
Air to Air missile can be indigenous now :)

DRDO MPDMS.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I didn't say American SBCT, did I? For our purposes, its a good "fcuk everything in that general direction" weapon to use against the Pakis. Paki SHORAD would be lucky to shoot down even a third of the SANT missiles. And no question of shooting down the heptrs because they were all hiding behind the trees with only the Apache rotor's topside peeking so that the longbow can get a lock. Ofcourse I am oversimplifying a bit, actual tactical situations are usually much more complex.

Kestrel SHORAD is a good idea. We should have a C-RAM based on it.
If there was any sense inside IA they’d be urgently drawing up plans to have the equivalent of Stryker brigades based on the Kestral for their NE/MSC,use the Kestral for all the mobility (mortar carriers, ambulance, recce, mobile gun system, C&C etc). And for the love of god I don’t know why the NAMICA turret hasn’t been mounted on this thing

NAMICA is one of the most game changing systems india has in its arsenal imo that can actually act as a deterrent to swift land grabs in all out war but for some reason it has gone totally MIA after completing all its trails and being cleared for induction.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Still confused as to how these things have ended up delivered without even a RWR. No self protection suite to speak of has ever even been seen, I don’t feel like this is a HAL fault because they will
Integrate what’s asked of them and the Rudra already has a proven system.

LCH has so much potential but without ATGMs and any SPS it’s completely a white elephant today, is this by design until the generals get their Apache dreams met?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles