F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The report was from 2011. LRIP-8 was from 2014 onwards. Issue seems to be resolved now.

3rd time I am repeating this.
Repeating yourself doesn't change the date of the article YOU posted. June 2019 isn't 2011 or 2014.

The solution is reducing afterburner to one minute intervals.

3rd time I am repeating this... do I need to repeat a fourth time?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Trump is making the whole China centric world order turn on its head towards US. Last time you had a leader fight this string against a near peer enemy was Reagan.
How big is a China centric world order? I am guessing it is full of a bunch of failed states that owe China billions but will never get paid back.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
How big is a China centric world order? I am guessing it is full of a bunch of failed states that owe China billions but will never get paid back.
Usury is why US was big after WW2. The thing with US is that you can negotiate. China believes in no negotiations. RCEP is a good example of their approach.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Repeating yourself doesn't change the date of the article YOU posted. June 2019 isn't 2011 or 2014.

3rd time I am repeating this... do I need to repeat a fourth time?
The official document is from 2011.

Bhurki

They are world leaders in metallurgy. I'm sure an optimized solution is on the way.
DoD won't let $1.5tr program's effectiveness drop due to a single issue.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
They are world leaders in metallurgy. I'm sure an optimized solution is on the way.
DoD won't let $1.5tr program's effectiveness drop due to a single issue.
They will have to apply the same costly fixes to it as they do the F-22. Every time it lands it must be inspected and withdrawn for maintenance when any splitting is detected. It costs $44,000 per flight hour for the A model and even more for the others. No one bothers looking at the long term operation costs and wants to believe Lockmart fallacies.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
The defects were first observed in 2011, the flight envelop is still restricted to one minute afterburner.
There is no proof as to the continued restrictions. The latest news from the Project Manager is that the thermal coating solved the issue for now and further test flights could not recreate the scenario.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

vampyrbladez

Country flag
They are "compelled to observe limitations on airspeed to avoid damage to the F-35’s airframe or stealth coating."

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-pentagon-is-battling-the-clock-to-fix-serious-unreported-f-35-problems
The document circa 2018 states the following :

Supersonic flight in excess of Mach 1.2 can cause structural damage and blistering to the stealth coating of the F-35B and F-35C.
Note that the issue doesn't speak of this being a repeatedly occurring, fleet wide issue.

The problems that occur when the "B" and "C" models fly in excess of Mach 1.2 will not be fixed, as they are considered to have extremely low probability of occurring during operations.
This is as per the program manager :

Winter noted that the issue was documented while the jet was flying at the very edge of its flight envelope. He also said the phenomenon only occurred once for both the B and C models, despite numerous attempts to replicate the conditions that caused the problem.

“How often do we expect something like that to occur?” he said. “It's very, very small.”

Greg Ulmer, Lockheed Martin’s F-35 program head, said there have been no cases of this problem occurring in the operational fleet and that incidents have been limited to the “highest extremes of flight testing conditions that are unlikely replicated in operational scenarios.
This means that the chance of this occurring is miniscule (seen to occur at 50000 ft ; repeated attempts to recreate the situation did not reveal the same again) in comparison to the CAT 1 deficiency rating. The Pentagon takes this is as an acceptable risk till some permanent future solution arrives.

“We have put into place what we believe are the appropriate technical fix to ensure that our F-35Cs have the full envelope and capability to do the high-speed mission, if needed. That’s where we are. Right now, our United States Navy and Marine Corps flying the sea agree with that,” he said.

The new coating, which was introduced in Lot 8, allows the jet to withstand hotter temperatures caused by the afterburner, the documents stated. Winter characterized the material as able to withstand “what we call the thermal shock wave,” but declined to specify how the coating works or how much protection it provides.
The F 35 thus has a placeholder fix for that problem in the form of the Lot 8 coating which suffices for now.

The F 35 Program Manager further mentions that the full envelope of the F 35Cs , the most affected of the two are now cleared for their full envelope for the high speed mission. This means that during operations, the limits don't apply to the Match speed.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Average Americans saved French arse from German gang**pe. A real French would never talk about Americans like you. I know many.

This average American knows way more than you in defense so let’s not go there. You have no access or knowledge in this field.

Stop masquerading as French- that would be your good start. Because right now you sound juvenile and pitiful.
So if I'm not French, who am I, according to a less than average American?

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
You seem way too sure about everything including US politics.. and its impact on Americans while sitting in India. That’s good on you. Next time we will all consult you on which candidate to vote for.
Too average to decide alone? It seems. Not really surprising.

Jameson Emoni

Let us get back to topic guys.

---

US F-35 stealth jets to deploy near main Russian military base in Syria

BEIRUT, LEBANON (9:10 P.M.) – The U.S. Air Force will deploy its F-35 stealth jets to Israel in order to maintain a strong presence in the region, the Israeli publication 9TV reported, as quoted by the Russian publication Avia.Pro on Sunday.

“The Americans will place a huge number of hangars for their F-35 fighters on the territory of the Jewish state. We are talking about hundreds of combat aircraft, which creates a certain threat to Russian military facilities in the Middle East,” Avia.Pro said.

“Aircraft hangars are being erected urgently throughout Israel, most likely intended to park the latest all-weather fifth-generation fighter F-35i (Adir). The U.S. Department of Defense is responsible for the project. The total area of the hangars under construction is 252,000 square meters,” 9TV reported, as quoted by Avia.Pro.

If true, this move will be a power play by Washington against the Russian Armed Forces in the region, who currently maintain one of the largest bases inside Syria.

“On the other hand, experts believe that it is exclusively about strengthening the U.S. military influence in the region with the aim of confronting Iran, which is already actively deploying its military facilities in Syria,” Avia.Pro added.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/articl...ar-main-russian-military-base-in-syria-media/

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The defects were first observed in 2011, the flight envelop is still restricted to one minute afterburner.
"As justification for the decision, Winter noted that the issue was documented while the jet was flying at the very edge of its flight envelope. He also said the phenomenon only occurred once for both the B and C models, despite numerous attempts to replicate the conditions that caused the problem."

https://www.defensenews.com/air/201...e-big-problems-for-the-f-35s-stealth-coating/

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
New thermal coatings first introduced on Lot 8 of the F-35s have reduced the risk of thermal damage. However, Ullmer also admits the coating hasn't eliminated the problem, which is deemed too rare to warrant further correction.

Sound reminiscent of Boeing's MCAS....

Since the incident, the Marines have instituted a policy requiring F-35B pilots not to engage afterburners for more than eighty seconds cumulatively at Mach 1.3, or forty seconds at Mach 1.4. Navy F-35C pilots have fifty seconds at Mach 1.3 to ration.

To "reset" the afterburner allowance, they must then allow three minutes non-afterburning flight for the tail area to cool down to avert damage.

If they haven't exceeded the flight restrictions since the incident, how do they expect to recreate the incident? :pound:

https://taskandpurpose.com/f35-afterburners-stealth-tech-problem

Bhurki

Pentagon highlighting difference between conventional and LO strike packages (1st and 2nd missions were executed).
upload_2019-11-11_18-20-16.png

Replace F117 with F35A which carries same internal payload and fuel and is supersonic( increasing evading capability) due to a conventional design and much more thrust (190kn vs 90kn)

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles