EV Recommendation Thread

SKC

Country flag
Fellas! Innards of Thermodynamics seems like is a distant discussion in the present ambiance but you guys definitely need to revisit your LOGIC at the least!

Explain to me this:
An electric motor and battery packs that could (in extreme situations) heat up to 70-80 deg C is a major issue that cannot be handled by liquid cooling system (??)
BUT a Hybrid powertrain, whose essential power comes from an Internal Combustion engine &whose combustion temperatures exceed 2000 deg C somehow finds a way to cool itself??
What magic conduction, convection or radiation mechanism does your Hybrid powertrain employ that it can cool itself from 2000 deg C in LITERALLY thin air???
The battery is not placed inside the combustion chamber that it will face 2000C temperature.

Battery (not the starter battery which is mostly placed near engine) has its own separate place.

Blademaster

Fellas! Innards of Thermodynamics seems like is a distant discussion in the present ambiance but you guys definitely need to revisit your LOGIC at the least!

Explain to me this:
An electric motor and battery packs that could (in extreme situations) heat up to 70-80 deg C is a major issue that cannot be handled by liquid cooling system (??)
BUT a Hybrid powertrain, whose essential power comes from an Internal Combustion engine &whose combustion temperatures exceed 2000 deg C somehow finds a way to cool itself??
What magic conduction, convection or radiation mechanism does your Hybrid powertrain employ that it can cool itself from 2000 deg C in LITERALLY thin air???
You keep forgetting the charging infrastructure and the unreliability of such infrastructure in those places. Look I am all for EVs but the moment is not ready for EVs right now until India puts in place the necessary electric grid that is reliable 24/7 so we don't have stranded EVs. With hybrids, its easier to rescue them if they become stranded. With stranded EVs, we have to call the towing people and that gets mighty tough up in that terrain and atmosphere.

SKC

Country flag
You missed the ENTIRE point of my post!
Please reread. It's pretty obvious. Not sure how you got so misdirected!
Fully understood your post and my post also answers your post very well.

Dont use this misdirected card / misread card.

SKC

Country flag
You QUOTED my post wherein I clearly stated that 'charging infrastructure' is a legitimate issue with EVs (especially in military situations). BUT I was specifically calling BULLSHIT on the 'cooling issue'!
That said, EVs in the army won't replace ALL 4x4 trucks...but most likely used for the transport of Special Forces and Scout operations (as they're very quiet)
EV has no place in Armed forces at all!

Where do they charge the EV in dessert? For strategic purpose allow use of Diesel and other fuels.

SKC

Country flag
Sorry but hybrids are better in that kind of climate and terrain. Jimih is right. Liquid cooling may work up to a fashion. But liquid cooling does need a medium to radiate heat to retain its cooling capabilities. On a long term basis, hybrids work better for now.
Hybrids are much better than even Diesel cars.

However, I believe that these car companies did not pursue hybrid engines for long time! Toyota started working on it in late 90s but before there was no R&D at all in this area.

Current Maruti and Toyota Strong and Mild Hybrids are giving much better fuel economy than petrol and even diesel.

Newly launched Innova Hybrid is giving 16-17 KMPL with petrol hybrid engine compared to lower by diesel engine.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
You QUOTED my post wherein I clearly stated that 'charging infrastructure' is a legitimate issue with EVs (especially in military situations). BUT I was specifically calling BULLSHIT on the 'cooling issue'!
That said, EVs in the army won't replace ALL 4x4 trucks...but most likely used for the transport of Special Forces and Scout operations (as they're very quiet)
make sure this discussion continues in this thread.

Blademaster

Are you for real?
Your post had ZERO relevance to my points. You clearly MISUNDERSTOOD. Now embarrassed to admit. Phew!
Your username is apt for you got a bee up in your ears. Chill dude and no need to be agitated and take it personally. We are just discussing EVs.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Can you provide any wide scale study which can prove that EV are more prone to accidents?
By accidents I meant catching fire randomly in highly warm environments, ICE does not/rarely face such issues.

Blademaster

What's your obstacle to admitting that you misunderstood my post when I politely pointed it out? You chose to double down &go berserk and now giving ME the chill pill???
Sigh!
It seems like you want everyone to say you are right and they are wrong and making this whole thing personal for you. We are trying to have a nice discussion but you come in with all guns blazing and pointing fingers. Heed my advice and refrain from the need to tell others that they are wrong and they need to admit their errors. It turns people off.

So pls cut it out.

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
I know where it's moved to.
But I am questioning your 'moderation' to let MISINFORMATION remain in this thread, while shoving the rebuttal and scientific explanation into some non-descript thread.
Shouldn't the ENTIRE topic be moved? or let the entire discussion happen here?
My guy, chill, you can ask/question the same thing in a more polite manner. Nobody here is trying to be against you. We are here to discuss.

Reactions: SKC

Blademaster

I know where it's moved to.
But I am questioning your 'moderation' to let MISINFORMATION remain in this thread, while shoving the rebuttal and scientific explanation into some non-descript thread.
Shouldn't the ENTIRE topic be moved? or let the entire discussion happen here?
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::bplease:

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
I think I was discussing politely. But I see people with ZERO understanding of the issue gang up against me and try to shut me down with invectives.
You came out guns blazing calling whatever the other guy said as BS. Which is fine but your other posts were like that too, very confrontational. You could've pointed out the mistakes in his logic/info. Other people aren't trying to gang up on you, they are giving their 2 cents on the topic and trying to have a better discussion with everyone else.

Coupled with that, I see the moderator let the non-sensical take on EV motor/battery cooling remain here...but shove my rebuttals elsewhere.
Shit happens, mistakes happen, mods are doing this for free and for the benefit of everyone. If you disagree with their decision, you can ask them, politely. You could've asked the mod to move the rest of the posts too but you didn't and straight up accused him of being biased. Don't you think thats a bit too much? There are literally a hundred messages everyday here. Besides, why would the mod be against you? He doesn't even know you and you are a newbie here. People are kinder towards newbies if anything. If you think they are with "old timers" lmao, they couldn't care less.

So, yeah! It's hard to believe 'nobody is trying to be against me'.
Nobody here knows anyone else personally enough to be "against them". The arguments do get heated up and it's understandable but don't take it personally. Again, disagreements aren't personal.

Chill, nibba.

Gyyan

Country flag
If a Post contains MISINFORMATION, and then it gets pointed out....you don't need to take it personally. Saying that I should shut up and not point out erroneous statements is weird.
Nobody needs to acknowledge that I am right.....or they are wrong. But that the statement is wrong and the scientific explanation is correct. If you choose to fight science for ego, then you should chill and take your own advice from above.
Bro I can't find the previous thread but the use of upper case in general comes out as unnecessarily strong and offensive.
It might explain the defensive stance you perceived from the others.
Take a deep breath and talk your point and others who will think that something is wrong will call you out it's not ganging up it just how discussion happen.
Again your approach seemed hard rather than pointing out that the other is wrong or right and again I am clarifying i don't know shit about EVs it just how you approached the topic was a bit hard.

Gyyan

Country flag
You seem to be like a guy who comes to a scene of crime....sees the victim crying out in pain, spilling his blood....and concludes "the guy is so loud and annoying, he's ruining the carpet with his blood stains.....so he obviously deserved the stabbings he received".
But thanks for your 'gyan'.
I am not taking any sides though...you seemed angry and thought everyone was ganging up on you and so i told you why it might be so.
And again I also cleared that that I don't know shit about evs.
The only action from my side was a suggestion that you could try writing in lower case and calm down a bit.
It doesn't seem like anything I wrote warrants a hostile response does it?
And again it doesn't makes me like a guy who comes to a scene of crime....sees the victim crying out in pain, spilling his blood....and concludes "the guy is so loud and annoying, he's ruining the carpet with his blood stains.....so he obviously deserved the stabbings he received but rather the one that tried to help a guy who was shouting infront of another guy that you are trying to kill me by telling you that you should calm down maybe your aggressiveness is causing him to be aggressive.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
To the end user, the quoted range is what matters. No one chooses an EV by looking at the Energy density of the cell/pack.
dont you think that there will be weight and size issue of the battery pack?

for the same weight and volume, the gasoline engines will always outperform the batteries. then why would army like to shift to electric?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles