DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Azaad

Country flag
Have I read this right ? Is it underwater launched unmanned AERIAL vehicle or is this a typo ? Besides how does such a machine transmit data to the submarine unless the submarine is expected to traverse the waters on the surface which isn't feasible ?

And if such data can be transmitted underwater thru VLF / ULF data links , do such ULUAVs have those capabilities ? If yes , ( which frankly doesn't seem plausible ) how come regular HALE / MALE drones with much more endurance, flying over oceans , can't be deployed in similar roles . We could also extend the argument to P-8I Neptunes.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Have I read this right ? Is it underwater launched unmanned AERIAL vehicle or is this a typo ? Besides how does such a machine transmit data to the submarine unless the submarine is expected to traverse the waters on the surface which isn't feasible ?
Others have also tested, basically instead of periscope you get much larger aerea to view. One time use only, afterwards you ditch it into sea.

And if such data can be transmitted underwater thru VLF / ULF data links , do such ULUAVs have those capabilities ? If yes , ( which frankly doesn't seem plausible ) how come regular HALE / MALE drones with much more endurance, flying over oceans , can't be deployed in similar roles . We could also extend the argument to P-8I Neptunes.
Nothing that complicated lol. Either a floating pod is extended to surface, or a communications mast is raised from sail. Chance of detection is not any higher than poking out a periscope (possibly lower, too).

BTW, for VLF you need several km long antenna, and even longer for ULF. Forget these small drones, even the largest aircraft (like E4s) only reach VLF.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It's better to have more options, no?? Plus, an air-launched Pinaka rocket should be significantly cheaper as well.
ideally yes.

but by the time IAF decides it wants this, and the file moves up the chain. pattern has been, to squeeze as much evolution and applicability from existing platforms rather than building a new one.

RAMPAGE too has the same mission profile, ARM and ground attack.

RAMPAGE

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 12.14.08 PM.png

RUDRAM 1 & 2

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 12.14.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 12.14.30 PM.png

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Drdo wanted to develop a range of MBRLs since 1980s. Pinaka 1 range 45 to 65 km, Pinaka 2 range 75 to 120 km and Pinaka 3 range 150+ km. The import lobby in order to import upgraded grad and Smerch missiles might have sabotaged this program. The program also suffered due to gross incompetence of OFB, where they were not able to stabilise the manufacturing, the plant got delayed by more than 10+ years.

Now we have Pinaka unguided with the range of 45 km, Pinaka guided with a range of 75-100km

I believe that Pinaka for 120km is a different rocket equivalent to Russian Smerch and has a range of 120-150km. DRDO has been asking permission to develop this Rocket/missile since more than 20 years.

Now it will be interesting to note which rocket/missile will be developed as 300 km Pinaka. It can either be an off shoot of Pragati, a simplified Pralay or even a completely new missile.

Meanwhile, private cos like Solar/EEPL are also in the race because they have their own guided missiles in the range of 120 KM and 300 KM. Designs of these missiles have not been disclosed publicly.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles