DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

sameer3694

Why procure Stryker now, after the DAC already cleared the FICV program last year?

Also, if the Stryker is for the Indian army’s consumption alone and that too in small numbers, why the qualifier ‘joint’ for its production? That’s a mystery as there’s no other potential buyer for it anywhere on the horizon.

I wonder if the Yanks are forcing our hand on this issue.

AnantS

Country flag
Why procure Stryker now, after the DAC already cleared the FICV program last year?

Also, if the Stryker is for the Indian army’s consumption alone and that too in small numbers, why the qualifier ‘joint’ for its production? That’s a mystery as there’s no other potential buyer for it anywhere on the horizon.

wait for formal announcement. What could be possible is that they might be inducting few examples of specific system which is housed on stryker.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
manik has different mission requirements than Kaveri. The needs and ask for Manik are not as strict as Kaveri. Its research on Kaveri which helped them building Manik not otherwise. You should remember Manik is single use whereas Kaveri isnt, core tempratures in manik wont be as high as in kaveri...
I never said both have same requirements or that STFE tech was used in kaveri. I am saying that the technology is very similar, especially in FADEC software, controls etc. Yes, Kaveri tech was used in STFE but my point was that STFE working perfectly is an indication that the tech is functional.

Yes, the controls & quality of STFE is not strict as it only needs to fly for a few hours as cruise missiles are one time use. But the software FADEC is still very similar to the jet engine. If you have noticed, the problem with Kaveri was in terms of flutter, stability etc, not in physical or temperature problems. It means the problem with Kaveri was mostly about FADEC controls rather than mechanical or alloy limits. That si likely resolved now. Remember that Rajnath had made a statement saying India has mastered aero-engines. It was not a bluff

Sorry.

Would like to differ here. The engine was designed to give an output of 90 kN. It suffered in tests where it has reached to 81kN but could not sustain it.
Then in 2020 it has been downrated to provide 75kN thrust and it has performed satisfactorily it ground tests that has been carried out ever since.

Would love to see when it has been able to provide a sustained thrust of 75kN.
The engine can never make 90kn without serious redesign. India is unlikely to bother developing a 90kN engine when its idea is to have Tejas Mk2, AMCA & TEDBF running on 110kN engines. Tejas Mk1 is a stop gap measure to gain data, feedback and act as a testbed for indigenous tech. It does not make sense to develop an engine for a model which is going to be replaced.

Kaveri engine's main objective is to act as a tech demonstrator for 110kN engines and also to act as a potential engine for French Rafales if allowed to be indigenised in India.

Samej Jangir

Country flag

India won't induct Stryker. This is like the fake news that said India will buy AEGIS howitzer, NASAMS 2, F414-EPE etc. These are fake news

Samej Jangir

Country flag
I had similar thinking about tapas
We know how things went from 67 to just 12 from navy
In this nation everything is uncertain until ccs clearance
12 is just a prototype LSPs. It will increase over time. But India intends to develop state of the art surveillance drones with most cutting edge technology. India does not see merit in combat drones as they are only useful against rag tag militants and WW2 level armies without any airforce or SAM. It is the surveillance part of drones using SAR radar, ELINT, SIGINT, E/O sensors which is most critical as they can offer huge amounts of information

Samej Jangir

Country flag
Technically, India did buy M777s .
Sorry, my bad. I meant ATHOS howitzer which is Israeli, not American. It was said to be instead of ATAGS citing that ATAGS was a failure and India was planning to manufacture ATHOS in JV with Israel! That was a complete fake news.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
It was able to generate 81kN, but could not sustain it.

Last I heard from someone mutual, it is now giving stable wet thrust of 75kN as opposed to planned 81kN.
Saffaran asked more money , so that deal didn't finalize....was they able to generate more than 81kn,what was the planning, just to check the flutter issue ,or also to increase the thrust

jai jaganath

Country flag
12 is just a prototype LSPs. It will increase over time. But India intends to develop state of the art surveillance drones with most cutting edge technology. India does not see merit in combat drones as they are only useful against rag tag militants and WW2 level armies without any airforce or SAM. It is the surveillance part of drones using SAR radar, ELINT, SIGINT, E/O sensors which is most critical as they can offer huge amounts of information
12 for navy is final and thats not lsp
6 lsp were ordered 1 for each and out which 1 crashed
Army and airforce have made it clear tapas don't fulfill their so called requirements
Navy will be contained with drishti tapas and mq-9

AnantS

Country flag
I never said both have same requirements or that STFE tech was used in kaveri. I am saying that the technology is very similar, especially in FADEC software, controls etc. Yes, Kaveri tech was used in STFE but my point was that STFE working perfectly is an indication that the tech is functional.

Yes, the controls & quality of STFE is not strict as it only needs to fly for a few hours as cruise missiles are one time use. But the software FADEC is still very similar to the jet engine. If you have noticed, the problem with Kaveri was in terms of flutter, stability etc, not in physical or temperature problems. It means the problem with Kaveri was mostly about FADEC controls rather than mechanical or alloy limits. That si likely resolved now. Remember that Rajnath had made a statement saying India has mastered aero-engines. It was not a bluff
Not really, flutter is more of mechanical or structural issue. You can also look at this old video reuploaded by shiv.
See from flame at full thrust - combustion seems improper

here is the old video original uploaded 9 years ago:

mamamia12

Saffaran asked more money , so that deal didn't finalize....was they able to generate more than 81kn,what was the planning, just to check the flutter issue ,or also to increase the thrust
I doubt French are gonna solve the issue with Kaveri, most likely they gonna swindle perpetually. They will ask for X amount of money after some Y time, or they will hook on the drug of "Co-Production" like Shakti engines. Retards at Ministry or GTRE should understand that there is no shortcut here. Research-Build-Test again Research-Build-Test . But, that requires Test Facilities, which Gobermint recently sanctioned. Previously there was so much misery attitude in investing for test facilities for any product even for rocket engines much more jet engines. Babus should remember that even if we give 10B$ to Safran, they are not gonna give up theiR Golden Goose. If baguettes in some alternate universe agreed for it, most likely "Yours Truly-Uncle Sam" would prevent that. But in reality, French are not stupid to handover such. I imagine if the deal went through, after swindling money for some years, most likely they will advocate to buy Co-Production engines with Safran Hot Section which means back to square one.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
Not really, flutter is more of mechanical or structural issue. You can also look at this old video reuploaded by shiv.
See from flame at full thrust - combustion seems improper

here is the old video original uploaded 9 years ago:
Where in the video does it show a mechanical problem? The flutter is caused by problems like fuel injection, airflow control, poor compressor control, poor designing etc. Otherwise, the flutter in the jet flame would not start so early on when the engine has not fully heated up to cause mechanical issues or melting

AnantS

Country flag
Where in the video does it show a mechanical problem? The flutter is caused by problems like fuel injection, airflow control, poor compressor control, poor designing etc. Otherwise, the flutter in the jet flame would not start so early on when the engine has not fully heated up to cause mechanical issues or melting
The video is showing you combustion issue. Flutter is another issue which is more pertaining to blades. Here is 2020 post from DFI which posted excerpt from DDR. And thats why you see on GTRE site they are working on new fan too.

Here is another old video summarizing Kaveri issues

jai jaganath

Country flag

Simple tactics buy imported goods in name of setting benchmarks then delay the indigenous product after sometime get into conflict situation convince MoD babus and pmo that already supply chain and logistics has been established for so called small no of imported item let's get it in mass as we can fill up our gap as indigenous product will take time to get into service and reach its potential
Bas
Bye bye tata khatam gaya

Samej Jangir

Country flag
The video is showing you combustion issue. Flutter is another issue which is more pertaining to blades. Here is 2020 post from DFI which posted excerpt from DDR. And thats why you see on GTRE site they are working on new fan too.

Here is another old video summarizing Kaveri issues
Hmmm.. But this combustion issue shown in the video (which I mistook for flutter) looks more like a control or design issue rather than mechanical/alloy problem.

Also, the flutter appears only during AB thruster which means they may be AB problem rather than blade/core problem

mamamia12

Simple tactics buy imported goods in name of setting benchmarks then delay the indigenous product after sometime get into conflict situation convince MoD babus and pmo that already supply chain and logistics has been established for so called small no of imported item let's get it in mass as we can fill up our gap as indigenous product will take time to get into service and reach its potential
Bas
Bye bye tata khatam gaya
does this babus have Modi's nudes? Why can't he deal with them? Isn't it merely babus? I mean if you dig on them he would definitely find dirt which can be used in courts? Or Are they supported by external forces and any action on them would have some setbacks?

jai jaganath

Country flag
does this babus have Modi's nudes? Why can't he deal with them? Isn't it merely babus? I mean if you dig on them he would definitely find dirt which can be used in courts? Or Are they supported by external forces and any action on them would have some setbacks?
Definitely last one

AnantS

Country flag
Hmmm.. But this combustion issue shown in the video (which I mistook for flutter) looks more like a control or design issue rather than mechanical/alloy problem.

Also, the flutter appears only during AB thruster which means they may be AB problem rather than blade/core problem
Flutter was due to blade issue.. and it occurred only at higher thrusts(80 kn)

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
If this talk about Stryker is true then I should probably join my Punjab brethren and migrate to Kaneda.

Truly a Darwin moment on our side. Damned Stryker is not even top of the line and here we are.

Indie products complete all trials but no orders and suddenly some 2nd grade product videshi maal with all its glamour gets inducted.
Bhai nhi Jeet paaoge china se aise actions se, it's like preparing to fail. We already have seen the war production capacity of Russia with its soviet legacy and even west is finding it hard to cope up with easily, I am damn sure Chinese capacity is magnitude times that.

Some strykers as benchmark product, what the heck does this crap even mean. Why not Boxer or Patria as benchmark, unka competitive trial nhi hoga, only Whap ko hoga?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles