DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Shashank Sharma

Calling it a curse implies that it is given to us by god, whereas this is a man made disaster! Please change the topic name.

sthf

Country flag
Calling it a curse implies that it is given to us by god, whereas this is a man made disaster! Please change the topic name.
True the infallible gods aka Babus that reside in MOD have given us this curse.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Sometimes I really wonder about HAL, its leaders and their priorities and India in general.
It seems like these GOI companies are run by a bunch of completely clueless corporate leaders.

A large seaplane is a very low item priority and one that will have very limited sales even within India.
Its the type of project that rich countries like Japan can afford to undertake. The worldwide sales of large sea-planes is nothing compared to other types of aircraft.

It an enormous investment for an item that can be readily purchased off the shelf from other countries.
Even if they are piggy-backing off older designs.....it will still be a huge cost.

This is the same HAL who despite havng spent 40 years assembling MIG-21, MIG-23, MIG-25, MIG-27, Su30mki, Hawk and other types of aircraft.......can barely even design and manufacture a reliable piddly turbo-prop trainer aircraft.

19 Indian pilots crashed and died flying HAL designed trainer aircraft......no other country in the world has lost as many pilots as India.....not in war but in peace time training exercises.

HAL is a F****** joke......and every IAF pilot knows it.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Even though things are changing, as I said a day late and a dollar short.
Late is better than never!
Dollar short? That's on which entire project depends. Government releases work will start, government won't, project will be stuck.
A well funded and well managed program like LCH is three years late.
It's usual in induction of sophisticated inventory.

You say today that your one project will be completed by 2030 and the other by 2019.

Obviously, 2019 may be accurater because most of work has been done.
PS, gained from previous experience, new projects aren't delayed.
India took 10 years for Agni - I but just 3 for Agni - V.

Subsystems are still imported
Which actually constitutes most of Indian Aviation imports. India's 40% aviation equipment is dependent on imports which is constituted by sub systems mostly.

On the other hand, India manufactures many civil aircraft parts & exports them to China for assembly.
and as of today there are no plans to replace them with Indian ones.
Who told you that?

The Ultranationalist

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Defence manufacturing is in dire need of disinvestment, we can rely on inefficient sarkari babus for arming our forces.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
We are not so enthused about sinking money into seaplane, unless such requirement has been projected by civil aviation and that too for dornier sized plane. We would rather want HAL to spend energies in other more pressing areas.

Whereas land version of civvie dornier is perfect. Would be helpful in providing remote connectivity across India.
HAL is not exactly constrained for resources. Sometime we forget it is a 16000 crore turnover company with over 32000 employees.

Looks like , issue earlier has been lack of political will and direction.

If HAL wants to expand its product portfolio, who are we to complain.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Whose requirement is very small can be procured from outside, Economically its not a gud idea for any company to make these ..

This are very basic knowledge and should not be argued with ..

==================

Saras is being revived, Lets see what design changes they will do ..

Their is alot of things to come, Till then DO-228 can fulfill certain duties ..

Enlighten me then, engines (Shakti is a french engine), main gun, AAM etc.
Indian stuff may remain inferior to western standards for years but rejecting it is only going to harm India's left chances to catch up further. And finally, we have a government which is willing to do (may be just for cutting down costs but they are doing, it's not only about NAL Saras or aviation). I don't find any reason discourage them.

THIS IS OUR OWN.
Hope you get the significance.:)

sthf

Country flag
Whose requirement is very small can be procured from outside, Economically its not a gud idea for any company to make these ..

This are very basic knowledge and should not be argued with ..
Really, that is your argument? I'll repeat myself, no likes to criticize for the sake of it.

439 Dhruvs (older engines in mk1 & mk2 will be replaced eventually) + 179 LCH (possible 30% or more follow on) + 200 LUH (possible 100% follow on).

So even the current engine requirment, will give you roughly 1500 engines, not counting the spares and almost certain follow on orders.

AnantS

Country flag
HAL is not exactly constrained for resources. Sometime we forget it is a 16000 crore turnover company with over 32000 employees.

Looks like , issue earlier has been lack of political will and direction.

If HAL wants to expand its product portfolio, who are we to complain.
I would have been happy if HAL was spending its money on other necessary projects and after those, if it had spare money did its own R&D to come up with sea plane(rather than just another license production exercise of Dornier Seastar). Is it simply case of swindling political will for frivlous things?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Not when countless lives and the fate of the country hangs in the balance.
It's yet to fall to that worse.
Enlighten me then, engines (Shakti is a french engine), main gun, AAM etc.
Composite issues, super & turbo chargers, flight control systems etc..
You're listing up the things which are imported and you will again trim them one by one when to troll.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I would have been happy if HAL was spending its money on other necessary projects and after those, if it had spare money did its own R&D to come up with sea plane(rather than just another license production exercise of Dornier Seastar). Is it simply case of swindling political will for frivlous things?
Sirji give HAL some time.

At this time last year I was supporting disinvestment of HAL. They seem to have recovered well since then. They are still trying to fix legacy problems.

Last year alone they made first flight of three new products, they have improved engine and aircraft serviceability. They even made a risky investment in HAWK-i, which is unusual for a PSU.

Because they performed they got rewarded by govt with additional funding in Tumkur and 2nd LCA production line.

I'd say they are trying.

sthf

Country flag

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
You sure bro?
http://www.defencenews.in/article/U...rore-inked-to-keep-Forces-Combat-Ready-250311
And I'd love that list be non-existent but its not the case TODAY, now is it?

If you think I was trolling, not gonna try to change your opinion.
What do you wanna prove me on basis of a purchase intended for tactical readiness?

Indian Aviation imports are 40% plus India exports too substantially to countries like PRC, ROK & UK if it imports.

Please make sure you want discussion on basis of perception or stats. I'm not going to give response just for intending "babu bashing". I'm here for relevant discussion.

AnantS

Country flag
Sirji give HAL some time.

At this time last year I was supporting disinvestment of HAL. They seem to have recovered well since then. They are still trying to fix legacy problems.

Last year alone they made first flight of three new products, they have improved engine and aircraft serviceability. They even made a risky investment in HAWK-i, which is unusual for a PSU.

Because they performed they got rewarded by govt with additional funding in Tumkur and 2nd LCA production line.

I'd say they are trying.
Paaji they have all the time in the world, when did they care about strict deadlines. No doubt they are showing improvement. But what I am saying is they should have chosen a better platform or rather spend budget on projects like RTA, MTA which are still hanging in limbo. Those projects are of immediate need

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have not understood your point, It is my understanding that Shakti engines will be for MK3 version and MK4 so does LUH but not older MK1 & MK2 of Dhruvs and This is something well known about ..

439 Dhruvs (older engines in mk1 & mk2 will be replaced eventually) + 179 LCH (possible 30% or more follow on) + 200 LUH (possible 100% follow on).

So even the current engine requirment, will give you roughly 1500 engines, not counting the spares and almost certain follow on orders.

tejas warrior

Country flag
If We are able to Satisfy the User With the Mki Products…, We Should Be able to export the Same to Other Countries When We Develop the Mkii Version’ —Chairman, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Secretary Department of Defence R&D, Dr S. Christopher.

Screenshot_20170228-225526.png
Screenshot_20170228-225529.png
Screenshot_20170228-225532.png
Screenshot_20170228-225535.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles