Doom and Gloom of China's Economy

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Recent article from Newt Gingrich, Former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.

Giant Pandas and the Infrastructure Bill | Opinion

s I watched the long, stale vaudeville-like performance over the infrastructure bill, I kept noticing the amazing steady progress of the Chinese Communist Party as it continued to build.

While we debate, impeach and campaign for office, they build. The contrast between Chinese progress and American paralysis has been growing greater and greater. And it's a serious problem.

As someone who loves the natural world—and has always loved the giant panda—I was delighted to discover that in the middle of our infrastructure babble, the Chinese had opened the huge, ultra-modern Chengdu Tianfu Airport. Chengdu is the headquarters for all activities involving the giant panda in China. It is famous to nature lovers everywhere.

Chinese domestic airlines have been growing steadily. Callista and I have been on several flights around China. The airports are always clean, the flight attendants are always professional and each new terminal is more and more modern.

In developing the brand-new airport in Chengdu, the Chinese included facial recognition software, self-check-in kiosks (so you can go straight through to your plane), smart security systems, self-boarding gates and even experimental airport robot staff (although, with 1.4 billion people, it is unlikely China will run short of people to staff an airport).

The Chinese Communist Party has had a massive interest in expanding China's domestic transportation infrastructure. The party knew it wanted high-speed trains to draw as many people as possible out of airplanes. Although, given the population, it is simply impossible to build a big enough aviation system.

Today, there are 37,900 kilometers of high-speed railways in China, with the fastest going more than 210 miles per hour. To get American politicians, interest groups, lobbyists, unions and bureaucrats to realize they had better get their national goals together—just for our survival as a country—they ought to all go ride a Chinese high-speed train and then come home and ride the Amtrak Acela, which peaks at 150 miles per hour. Then, they should compare comfort, cleanliness, convenience and service on the Chinese and American systems.

Newsweek subscription offers >
Domestic travel in China jumped 6.8 percent from April 2019 to April 2020. In part because of the impact of COVID-19, the Guangzhou-Baiyun airport replaced Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (which I had represented for 20 years) as the busiest airport in the world.

After pouring $10.8 billion into the new Chengdu Tianfu Airport, Chinese ambitions are accelerating—not shrinking. The current plans are by 2035 to add another 159 airports to the 241 that already exist.

Now, no one should read this as my endorsement of China's totalitarian system – or as any sort of pro-China propaganda. This is my warning that America must compete or lose.

If not for the partisan pork-barrel infighting and pettiness of the current American system, how many airports would you bet we could build by 2035? How many high-speed rails? Anyone who thinks we are going to compete with China without major domestic reform is simply delusional.

Of course, like my granddaughter, you can always have a stuffed panda to hold while we slide into the past.
He is writing that so he can lobby more money for American infrastructure, not to praise China’s “achievements”. How naive are you that you do not understand such political rhetoric?

The number of poorly constructed, leaking railway stations in China is well known. He is not going to highlight that part now, does he?

rockdog

Country flag
He is writing that so he can lobby more money for American infrastructure, not to praise China’s “achievements”. How naive are you that you do not understand such political rhetoric?

The number of poorly constructed, leaking railway stations in China is well known. He is not going to highlight that part now, does he?
Anything above 200kmph is HSR. That is the universal definition. We already have T18 train sets running - these are capable of clocking 200kmph. So they are “Bullet trains” already, by your definition. What india would do is shift freight traffic to DFC which is nearing completion, and then decongest the existing passenger tracks and then you will see that in several sections these trains would run at their design speed - 200kmph or as HSR. i thought you follow Indian news. Are you capable of understanding what is happening or not?

I am NOT impressed by China has this or that. You just have done it before we have. That’s all. HSR technology is 1960s and it is just a question of money and time to get it done. We will be there in a few years.

Your China this or China that is a childish argument. The US had skyscrapers and expressways in the 1930s, when in China people were in opium dens and getting massacred by the Japanese in Nanking. I can post a comparison of China versus US in the 1930s here. Just because you have caught up to the US after 90 years in skyscrapers and roads does not mean anything. The Americans are not going to gloat over that.

Chinese have low IQ and lack maturity and unable to understand how a country develops. Countries don’t develop to attain some statistics race. They develop in their own timeline with the overall goal of improving their citizens’ lives. India is marching toward that 110%. Our goal is to meet SDGs by 2030 and not HSR km targets which only a corrupt organization like the CCP which doesn’t care about its citizens spout as something of an achievement. India follows the Japanese model of development and not the stupid dystopian, dysfunctional, tofu Chinese model of low quality, low human rights development.

This is the problem with brainwashed CCP wumaos - they think that everything is a race. No one gives a damn if China has built a billion kms of HSR when the standard of sanitation, water quality, human rights, overall quality of life, religious freedom is extremely low. People are not going to trade riding in a HSR for their religious freedom and ability to decide their fate for themselves.

I understood your sarcasm which you decided to use without realizing that India actually has a much better deal on the HSR than the high interest financed Chinese HSR tracks which are 95% loss making and have led to massive bad debts. India’s HSR will make money from day 1 due to the very good model of financing, low maintenance and operating cost Japanese technology. The Chinese HSR is very high maintenance gulping up a lot of costs and increasing debts to bankruptcy levels.

Here is a quote from a report:

”Other lines, such as Lanzhou-Xinjiang route – which only operates eight daily services, despite being designed to handle 320 trains a day – are struggling to meet their electricity costs. The reality is that such lines are in danger of becoming white elephants.”

The CCP and the Wumao bootlickers will never understand such civilizational aspects. And just spout statistical nonsense as if the world is impressed by these statistics. You can see this in the mass exodus of HongKongers. They have access to a reasonably high quality of life and once the transnational criminal organization aka the CCP cracked down the ones that can leave all left. HK‘s status as an international finance center has been destroyed and the city is getting poorer by the day due to the stupid ways of the CCP criminals’ thinking. Lol.
Here comes my points:

1. If you talking China's debt on HSR system by your standard, you shouldn't only quote the debt on Chinese HSR system, it refer to system with 250-350km/H. By your stadard, you should invole both train system with 200-250km/H train system as bullet train (动车), and 250-350km/H system as HSR (高铁); from this point, the ROI and debt level is acceptable.

2. The investment logics betwen "200-250km/H train system" and "250-350km train system" are different. In China, we upgard the current common rail network to reach "200-250km/H train system", which means the investment is quite low. But for 250-350km/H networks, we built from scratch. So your example on India so called "high speed train" is not proper to our 250-350km/H networks. We don't need to learn from your financial plan...

3. From marco view about national HSR system, the strategic benefit is more important than financial:
a. importing less planes from Boeing and Airbus
b. integrate west, middle, east part of China, with faster people/cargo transportation system.
c. Since 95% parts of Chinese HSR are indigenous, those money circulating in our own economy.
d. East part HSR is profitble now, Middle part HSR is break even, West HSR is lossing money, but the government treat it as strategic loss (like Xinjiang-Lanzhou HSR), we care more integration with remote area than money making.

4. Heard your first real HSR from Mumbai to Ahmedabad is already delayed, how much time cost and other cost wasted and would you suggest the ROI and debt on this project to me? I wanna learn, thanks.

rockdog

Country flag
New ‘leaking’ high-speed trains into London taken out of service

High-speed rail services cancelled after cracks found in trains

Heard your first real HSR will be supported by Japan? Will you swtich to your former national railway system builder like British as new vendor?

Wait, this news is from UK ...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles