Discussion About Indian Football

Sabir

DFI TEAM
There are many players who can play in Europe atleast in Second divisions. But low FIFA ranking of India often becomes a hurdle for players.

About Indian players playing professional football they always mention Baichung or Sunil Chetry. But a lad named Somenath Ghorui joined professional football in Canada before Baichung. The year before Baichung came to Kolkata, IFA made a rule that teams in Kolkata league must have to keep atleast two U19 footballers in the team. East Bengal introduced Somnath who was regularly out performing the seniors in the team. However, East Bengal introduced Amit Das, another very talented footballer (who represented India in all age groups and was captain of U16 team which included Baichung). Later, Baichung came to play for East Bengal, which caused Somnath to lose his slot. I heard he was adopted by a Canadian couple and went to Canada and there he started playing professional football successfully. However I could not colect any thing more about him.

trojan

Country flag
There are many players who can play in Europe atleast in Second divisions. But low FIFA ranking of India often becomes a hurdle for players.

About Indian players playing professional football they always mention Baichung or Sunil Chetry. But a lad named Somenath Ghorui joined professional football in Canada before Baichung. The year before Baichung came to Kolkata, IFA made a rule that teams in Kolkata league must have to keep atleast two U19 footballers in the team. East Bengal introduced Somnath who was regularly out performing the seniors in the team. However, East Bengal introduced Amit Das, another very talented footballer (who represented India in all age groups and was captain of U16 team which included Baichung). Later, Baichung came to play for East Bengal, which caused Somnath to lose his slot. I heard he was adopted by a Canadian couple and went to Canada and there he started playing professional football successfully. However I could not colect any thing more about him.
this guy had good financial background and contacts . there are many others who are better than him and can play in better 2nd div clubs in europe....
still i'm glad he has made it to europe and hope he'll be representing India one day.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Odafa Okali to play for India?

Odafa Okali (26) who signed Mohanbagan this year from Charchil Brothers , with a contract of Rs 2 cr is interested to play for India liquidating his Nigerian citizenship according to a report published in Annada Bazar Patrika today. He is the top scorer in last three session I-league. Now it is to see how much interest our officials show to get him Indian citizenship. But, there is no doubt, he is the best foreigner to play in India. His inclusion can convert indian team a formidable candidate in Asian football.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I want to play for India; says Mohun Bagan's Odafa Onyeka Okolie

They fans call him the King Cobra and this season, they have even painted the Cobra Green and Maroon in all the banners. The biggest star in Indian football Odafa Onyeka Okolie in a freewheeling interview spoke at length about his move to Mohun Bagan, the secret of his success and his burning desire to don the Indian National colours. Excerpts:

What was your first impression when you saw banners of a Green and Maroon King Cobra on the McDowell Mohun Bagan club lawns?
Football is for the fans. They love me like anything. Yeah, I saw it (and Odafa bursts into laughter).

What brings you to Kolkata?
It's a new challenge. I was happy in Churchill Brothers and Mr. Churchill loved me like anything. I was like his son. He is a nice man. My family loved the place. But one needs to move on in life. I discussed it with Mr. Churchill before moving to McDowell Mohun Bagan. I would lie if I say I don't miss Churchill Brothers. But as a Professional, you need to change gears. There's a fear of losing respect if one stays at one certain place for too long. Maybe, I may go back to Churchill Brothers one day.

You were once shunned by Kolkata teams. Now that you come back with the tag of the Highest Paid Footballer in the Country, do you see it as Divine Justice?
The Almighty took me away from Kolkata; the Almighty has now brought me back to Kolkata; the Almighty has also given me the signal that people are expecting a lot from me.

Does your price tag burden you with any extra pressure?
Every professional is burdened with pressure. I want to play my normal game. Football is all about scoring goals and I want to score as many as possible for Mohun Bagan. Football is a sport where 11 compete against 11. I will just play my role.

What kind of sentiment will it evoke when Mohun Bagan play Churchill Brothers in the Federation Cup?
One is my former team, the memories of which I will carry forever. The other is my present team where I earn my bread and butter from. I will give my 100 percent to ensure Mohun Bagan win every match this season. They have signed me for a purpose and I can't let them down. The rest is for the Almighty to decide.

What role has Cheema Okorie played in your life?
Cheema has always been my Friend, Philosopher and Guide. Cheema has taught me what to do and what not to. His experience of playing in India has guided me. I consult him on almost every matter, be it professional or personal.

What has changed in Indian football scenario since you first started playing here?
A lot! The attitude of the players, the fitness level and off-the-ball play have improved leaps and bounds. There are so many good players around; there's competition among them. Most importantly the physique of the players is bound to strike you. From the administrative part, there are positive developments taking place. Indian football is looking ahead.

Would you be interested in representing the Indian National Football Team?
I have been part of this magnificent country for so many years now. If I fall into the scheme of things for the Indian National Football Team, I would be very much interested in representing India at the International Stage. For that, I need to surrender my Nigerian passport which I don't mind. But I need to discuss it at length with my family.
Source the-aiff.com

In my opinion, if he plays in Europe he could make it in Nigerian team as well. More than a decade ego Emeka went to Denmark from India and later represented Nigeria in WC. Odafe is much ahead of Emeka as a footballer.

trojan

Country flag
fed cup starts today
no national broadcastor :(
some local kolkata channel news time will telecast the match

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Some local channels in Kolkata are trying to promote the game atleast. Most of the important matches are shown live by them. One channel telecast even Brazilian league.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Odafa Okali to play for India?

Odafa Okali (26) who signed Mohanbagan this year from Charchil Brothers , with a contract of Rs 2 cr is interested to play for India liquidating his Nigerian citizenship according to a report published in Annada Bazar Patrika today. He is the top scorer in last three session I-league. Now it is to see how much interest our officials show to get him Indian citizenship. But, there is no doubt, he is the best foreigner to play in India. His inclusion can convert indian team a formidable candidate in Asian football.
But can it happen? can GOI give him indian citizenship?

Sabir

DFI TEAM
But can it happen? can GOI give him indian citizenship?
Most probably he will become 36 by then. thanx to red tapism. Earlier Naimuddin tried a lot for Bernad Operanoji , a nigerian defender. Nothing happens. Arata , the half Indian half Japanese player of Salgaokar, who is selected as the best mid-fielder in I -league last season is also trying for Indian citizenship. If these two players join Indian team , the strength of the team will increase by 30%

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chatting with Vijay Mallya during our School's Founder's Day, he said soon there will be an IPL type of show for Football.

They are working towards it.

Mallya sponsors both East Bengal and Mohan Bagan.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Just starting a league will not change anything. They need to bring professionalism in clubs. Every clubs must have their own stadium, training facilities, youth development programme, physical trainers.............a system which brings up not only footballers but other support stuffs too. There should be a professional career for referees, there should be arrangment for merchandise, proper facilities for fans in stadiums.........

Today if you go to Salt-lake stadium as an ordinary fan, you will not find a place to piss, or drinking water.....the assistant referee who was there in the Argentina match goes to sell fish in market for a living....The clubs do not have their own field forget stadium....forget facilities for youth development....

niharjhatn

Just starting a league will not change anything. They need to bring professionalism in clubs. Every clubs must have their own stadium, training facilities, youth development programme, physical trainers.............a system which brings up not only footballers but other support stuffs too. There should be a professional career for referees, there should be arrangment for merchandise, proper facilities for fans in stadiums.........

Today if you go to Salt-lake stadium as an ordinary fan, you will not find a place to piss, or drinking water.....the assistant referee who was there in the Argentina match goes to sell fish in market for a living....The clubs do not have their own field forget stadium....forget facilities for youth development....
A league is a good first step, but either you have a good grassroots program for football, or else throw money at it!

Many of the smaller nations have implemented very successful youth football programs, where as larger nations can be quite pathetic at implementing a good youth program, and instead throw money to attract talent.

Ultimately, if the interest is there, the interest in football will continue to grow in India, the frenzy surrounding Messi et al. in the Arg/Venz match proved that.

The question as to whether the heightened interest translates into national team success/proper youth development is another matter entirely, or whether it just means that me and my mates buy a row of seats every season in front of the opposing manager's bench at Old Trafford (seriously, I see these guys like every Man U EPL game I watch; and theres a freakin ROW of 'em!!! )

Sabir

DFI TEAM
EAST BENGAL defeated Pune FC

Alan Gao Scored first goal for EB and Jeje got the equaliser for Pune. While Robin Singh capitalise the oportunity when Pune Goal Keeper missed the flight of a cross from left and gave Robin an open goal.. Robin cleanly received from the ball on the top of box and his volly on drop defeated the defender on goal-line.

I saw the match from 55 minutes. EB clearly was much ahead of the Pune team which was defending desperately keeping only Jeje in the opponent's half. EB's last match hero Sanju Pradhan came as a substitute coroborated his demand for a place in national team by terrific run through right wing and powerful shooting. On the other hand Arata for Pune took lot of work-load for his team. This Half Japanese half Indian footballer is also looking for Indian citizenship. Raju Gaikowad was rock-solid in defence and allowed EB coach to substitute his Nigerian defender Opara to bring in Tolgey when match was 1-1. Hope Armando Colaco has watched the match and writen down names of Sanju, Robin and Arata in his notebook.

EB supporters were interested about their new recruit Alan Gao and they went home happily. Gao has very good ball control and dribbling skill and very powerful shooting ability. Gao-Tolgey-Robin trio , in my opinion is more dangerous for opponents thna Odafe- Bareto-Sunil trio of Mohanbagan.

trojan

Country flag
meanwhile Royal Wahingdoh continue to be giant killers .
defeated churchill bros. today 2-1
previously RW defeated Mohun bagan 2-1

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Mohan Bagan continues to be giant loser :) ...lost to Lajang FC 1-3. Pathetic performance. Most of the players are not even fit. Odafe evidently has not touched ball for several months. His performance worth not even Rs 2 , though his contract is Rs 2 cr.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
high voltage match in Kolkata: East Bengal vs Dempo

Two most powerful teams in the country is facing each-other to ensure a place in semi-final of Federation Cup. Despite Dempo having many players from national team , East Bengal looks favourite. Dempo missing service of Beto, their brilliant Brazilian mid-fielder which will weaken their star striker Ronty Martin to some extent. Though there are Climax, Miranda, Sameer, Debabrata- four regulars from national team, they are the most criticised players for poor performance. On the other hand East Bengal will have the service of Mehtab and Raju Gaikowad-two most successful players in their respective position. Dempo defenders Mahesh Gawli, Sameer or Debarata will certainly have some tough times defending against young and fast Wingers of East Bengal like Sanju Pradhan , Vasum or Khemtang Paite. In up front Tolgey is very agile and talented Robin Singh , I think difficult items to handle especially considering lack of agility in Dempo defenders.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
East Bengal won 1-0 ...scorer Robin SIngh

Most part of the first half we saw ugly football from both team...so many miss-passes....no planning...
In second half East Bengal was different. Sizzling run of Tolgay through the right caught defenders off-gaurd. One of such runs ended in a measurred minus which Robin clamly sent in to goal. Mehtab Hussain was out standing in his role as defensive mid-fielder through out the game. Raju Gaikowad was quite clumsy in the first half, but played very well after the break. Among Dempo players Climax was almost invisible, Miranda had some impressive runs but could not send in the cross........Overall...East Bengal despite wasting several opportunities won and reached to semi-final...

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Armando Colaco may lose his job today. He wants a period of 5 years as Indian coach, but, AIFF is not ready to extend it beyond two years. Sukhwinder Singh and Karim Benchrifa are the other candidates for the post. In short tenure Armando has brought big changes in playing style of Indian team. Shifting from direct football of Houghton era, he has concentrated on passing and possession which many experts believe more suitable for Indian players. However India's fall continues in FIFA ranking (now 162) despite a victory against Qatar and a draw against UAE. Indian team fails to show anything special even in the new style. Many criticise Colaco his team selection, especially because of selection of some out of form Dempo players while ignoring many good candidates.. In my opinion, Colaco's concept of Passing and possession is more important than Colaco himself. It is the style India should follow does not matter whether Colaco is there or not.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles