Development of the Indian ARJUN

deltacamelately

Professional
Arjun might be a overall good package, but then the logistics to support such a good package aren't in place. Further, the army is not in the habbit of purchasing toys that it doesn't deems fit for warfighting.

deltacamelately

Professional
I would also vet for a machine that I can license manufacture than one that I can manufacture, albeit with parts for which I have to continuously keep shopping, sometimes in a friendly market, sometimes in a hostile one.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Major,
Whats your personal opinion on the tank. Everyone thinks that the Army is looking for one excuse or the other to dump the Arjun.

Also you said that you would prefer to license produce a weapon system and not manufacture. So do you think India should continue to import and not look for any indigenous products?

bhramos

Country flag
I would also vet for a machine that I can license manufacture than one that I can manufacture, albeit with parts for which I have to continuously keep shopping, sometimes in a friendly market, sometimes in a hostile one.

Is Arjun Totaly 100% Indigenous ?
i think wat he says?
i'm i correct Delta1.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
sorry for a dumb question but any modern tank which is 100% indigenous ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Major,
Whats your personal opinion on the tank. Everyone thinks that the Army is looking for one excuse or the other to dump the Arjun.
I Think that OFB/DRDO should re name Arjun as T-2009 or T-09, then IA will purchase it in thousands without any trial.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
No its not 100% indigenous.
we can make all the parts in India and that will bring down price provide sufficent numbers are made to break even till such time we have to depend on imported parts.

Let say suppose IA give order for 1500 tanks them we well make them 100% in India.

ZOOM

Founding Member
we can make all the parts in India and that will bring down price provide sufficent numbers are made to break even till such time we have to depend on imported parts.

Let say suppose IA give order for 1500 tanks them we well make them 100% in India.
1500 MBT, certainly a very tall order. On the top of it, 100% Indigenous content has no meaning in today's globalized world, when parts of heavy machineries including weapon are outsourced to bring down the unit cost.

deltacamelately

Professional
Major,
Yusuf,

From a personal pov, I find this system quite competetive. However, being competetive alone won't suffice for any major weapon system. I've seen people here and elsewhere, brushing off the "logistics" argument as something frivolous. You need to understand that this is not a platform that the army is very familiar about, neither is the army very comfortable thinking about getting into a major action with such a debatable system. I think that its extreamely important to have indeginuous engines, suspensors and fire control systems. A smoothbore gun instead of a riffled one is also desireable imo.

Also you said that you would prefer to license produce a weapon system and not manufacture. So do you think India should continue to import and not look for any indigenous products?
Yusuf,
You missed me. What I want is either a majorly indeginuos system for which I won't have to go on a shopping spree in chartered/unchartered markets for critical sub-systems, otherwise a license-produced system, on which I have substantial control. (Considering the donor countries foreign relations as well)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles