CRPF and its Future role in Indian Defence.

Does CRPF needs to be looked into again?

• CRPF needs some major changes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • CRPF needs some minor changes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • CRPF needs no changes

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

ladder

Country flag
Don't rotate IPS from State Police to CAPF and vice versa. Make two cadre in IPS upon selection, one existing and the other CAPF cadre.

I think it was recommended by one earlier committee. I had posted about it 4-5 years back in this forum itself.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
It used to be the case in 60s & 70s when there was a real risk of a coup. In fact when the army strength was increased by 80% after 1962 war with China, CRPF & other armed forces increased in number from 29,000 to 2,00,000+ in same amount of time.
Why was this the case in 60 & 70s, was there some disagreement between government and army

Similarly is ITBP which nowadays is preferred for guarding Indian embassies
which I believe is absolutely retarded, its whats the name suggests, Indo Tibetaian Border Police, they are absolutely meant for that. I get it if its considered their Secondary duty, but if they are prefferably deployed for this then it goes against their purpose imo.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
what I have seen over the years is that crpf especially NSG have grown so much both training and equipment wise when compared to the army that I feel its better for them this way. While NSG is a different league crpf themselves with their new uniforms (multicam) and other gear if you look at it they have gotten much better when you look at the army jawan in comparison they say ips officers don't understand training and stuff and yet NSG was deployed in pathankot so i will say its better this way.
Most upgrades in NSG took place after Mumbai Attack.

this is how they looked at that time.

It was given a preferential treatment as the Operation of 26 11 had exposed the lack of Equipment Of Indias most elite forces.
It would have been absolutely shameless on administrations part if NSG wasn't made to improve after that.

Do we need similar kind of Event associated with CRPF for Administration to wake up and act.

Besides NSG's size is 7,000 compared to 320,000 of the CRPF, not counting other paramilitaries it is 50 times bigger than NSG alone. Same standards cant be applied to them.

Last edited:

Knowitall

Most upgrades in NSG took place after Mumbai Attack.
It was given a preferential treatment as the Operation of 26 11 had exposed the lack of Equipment Of Indias most elite forces.
It would have been absolutely shameless on administrations part if NSG wasn't made to improve after that.

Do we need similar kind of Event associated with CRPF for Administration to wake up and act.

Besides NSG's size is 7,000 compared to 320,000 of the CRPF, not counting other paramilitaries it is 50 times bigger than NSG alone. Same standards cant be applied to them.
NSG even now in 2019 continues to update as for crpf what I meant was even they seem to have better gear than a regular army jawan.

While the case for NSG is true the same goes for the army to pathankot, uri and countless other attacks did they wake up. Overall what I meant was that the equipment flow for both NSG CRPF has been good under these guys so let it be that way.

Knowitall

why do away with "good" when we can achieve "excellence".
Would love to achieve excellence sir ji but when i look at both the options the better option is that they remain under IPS.

Last edited:

Pandeyji

Country flag
Why was this the case in 60 & 70s, was there some disagreement between government and army
Part some disagreement & part the fact that we were recently independent & were at high risks of military coups. We are like the only country in the world not to have a military coup after independence. Every other country had one or two. In fact, western journalists loved to predict in how many years would India disintegrate due to coup/civil war/both.
which I believe is absolutely retarded, its whats the name suggests, Indo Tibetaian Border Police, they are absolutely meant for that. I get it if its considered their Secondary duty, but if they are prefferably deployed for this then it goes against their purpose imo.
Maybe you're right, but there is a huge change in situation now. When the ITBP was created we were weak on the Chinese border & it regularly flared up with armed skirmishes & cross border operations common. But nowadays we have 3:1 superiority at all times on Chinese border & jawans on both sides don't even carry guns with them. So putting ITBP on border just sort of wastes a perfectly good pool of trained men. Similarly the reason of using BSF or the MARCOS in coin ops.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Firstly that article seems to be old.

IPS officers are required in CRPF top brass because they are central forces deployed in state jurisdiction. Much of job description of top brass is managing co-ordination with their state police colleagues.

But yes, it is unfair on CRPF that they are being used for retirement posting of IPS top brass. IPS officers who want to get transferred to CRPF, should do it atleast 5/6 years before retirement.

the day CRPF is required to go back to their para military roles(like how paramilitary is used in South American countries), then IPS officer heading it will no longer make sense. The areas where such roles are required are diminishing in India as years go by.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles