Just in: TATA delivers first 3 WhAPs to CRPF

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Tata delivers first 3 units of total 6 Kestrel WhAP to an unknown Indian Paramilitary Force (speculated to be CRPF)

Tata has delivered the first three units of the total six-Wheeled Armored Platform (WhAP) which is named ‘Kestrel’, that were ordered by the Indian paramilitary forces, that will start user trials in the next few days. After its successful completion, Tata will start getting major orders.

The delivered units have received some design changes, that includes a raised armored driver station for better visibility, a remote-controlled weapon station, and an increased number of firing ports.

The WhAP has also completed all internal user trials of the Indian Army and Tata is in discussion to close a mega-deal with the Indian Army for more than 200 units of this same WhAP.

This is good news, people. But I wonder why CRPF is arming up with such firepower.

karn

Country flag
Tata delivers first 3 units of total 6 Kestrel WhAP to an unknown Indian Paramilitary Force (speculated to be CRPF)

Tata has delivered the first three units of the total six-Wheeled Armored Platform (WhAP) which is named ‘Kestrel’, that were ordered by the Indian paramilitary forces, that will start user trials in the next few days. After its successful completion, Tata will start getting major orders.

The delivered units have received some design changes, that includes a raised armored driver station for better visibility, a remote-controlled weapon station, and an increased number of firing ports.

The WhAP has also completed all internal user trials of the Indian Army and Tata is in discussion to close a mega-deal with the Indian Army for more than 200 units of this same WhAP.

This is good news, people. But I wonder why CRPF is arming up with such firepower.
Crpf already uses large bulletproof and mine resistant vehicles .. many of them look jugaard.
Chinese riot police has Kestrel type vehicles .

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Crpf already uses large bulletproof and mine resistant vehicles .. many of them look jugaard.
Chinese riot police has Kestrel type vehicles .
Then the order book is definitely going to be big from CRPF + Army. I hope they get the green-light to participate in international tenders as well. TATA won't have jumped in without some assurance with DRDO.

Shashank Nayak

Country flag

Maybe for CASHMERE operations..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Maybe for CASHMERE operations..
Probably.

Though Kestrels are badly needed for LAC operations. Mounted with 50 mm cannons or 120 mm Mobile Gun System (MGS) turret atop these similar to Stryker would be a deadly addition to the T-90s and T-72s there Ajeyas there.

ITBP should be using these, not just the CRPF for naxal operations.

TATA should also get the export license to market the Kestrel to other countries in parallel and start getting orders. 200+ is the Army order estimated.

Given CRPF's needs, they won't be buying more than 20-30 max at a time. Similar if ITBP orders. 260 units won't be enough to cover the cost.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Anyone has any ideas about its effectiveness with a 30 mm cannon turret in urban conflict situations? I am talking about troop movements in tense areas in Nagaland or in Kashmir UT?

abingdonboy

Country flag

I’ll take this with a HUGE pinch of salt
1) not one report saying CRPF (or anyone) has ordered Kestral
2) there are no CRPF representatives present, only TATA, this could be the rolling out of a new test batch

abingdonboy

Country flag
Anyone has any ideas about its effectiveness with a 30 mm cannon turret in urban conflict situations? I am talking about troop movements in tense areas in Nagaland or in Kashmir UT?
There’s no way they are sending an IFV into an urban area, it isn’t even required. Up-armoured gypsys are doing fine and now they are getting Rakshak+, marksman and updated MPVs, when’s the last time security personnel were even harmed in JK whilst travelling in an armoured vehicle? I don’t think it’s happened for a long time. They need to induct armoured buses more than IFVs because the only time they are harmed during transport is when they are travelling in long convoys with thin skinned standard buses

it’ll be interesting to see if the Mahindra ASLVs end up in JK

Kestral if it is going to be ordered by a CAPF would make the most sense for ITBP along the LAC given what the Chinese deploy on their side

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles