Captured Terrorist Weapons by Indian Army

Redhawk

Not true, the weapons captured are usually destroyed, they are never used by the forces.
So the Indian Border Security Force paramilitaries on parade at the Wagah sunset flag-lowering ceremony are all armed with AK-47s or AKMs which have been imported.

Wikipedia item: Bulgarian produced AK-47. Imported for police and paramilitary forces, used in some quantities by Army as well. AR fixed stock and AR-F under-folding stock variants used.

Redhawk

In india terrorists operate in 2-3 numbers in kashmir ,in NE they operate in number of 10 to 15 and in naxal belt they operate in platoon level and only during planned attacks they employ company sizedd units.But never uses this type heavy weaponry.
What is the heaviest weapon the Naxalite-Maoists use at platoon level? LMG or GPMG?

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
No..there are many pics in this forum itself which shows our men with captured aarms.What is wrong in using the tango arms if it is good?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
What is the heaviest weapon the Naxalite-Maoists use at platoon level? LMG or GPMG?
neighther. the top maoist generally use insas and ak-47 which they had snatched away from the forces while most foot soldiers use country made weapons which are basically country made .303 rifles assembled in makeshift "arms factory" set up deep inside the jungles.of late there has been high level of improvement in the quality of these arms factory and there are reports that they are manufacturing mortars and rpg although in small numbers which has forced the crpf to change its strategy.

Redhawk

neighther. the top maoist generally use insas and ak-47 which they had snatched away from the forces while most foot soldiers use country made weapons which are basically country made .303 rifles assembled in makeshift "arms factory" set up deep inside the jungles.of late there has been high level of improvement in the quality of these arms factory and there are reports that they are manufacturing mortars and rpg although in small numbers which has forced the crpf to change its strategy.
I see. I thought that the insurgents would have been more heavily armed than just being armed with captured INSAS rifles and AK-47s as well as .303 rifles made in insurgent workshops.

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Captured Bren LMGs,mortars and country made rocket launchers are also used by maoists.
In one incident naxals used a captured bus to attack a jail after fitting it with one or two light machine guns.In another instance they had used mortars to bombard a special police camp in dantewada couple of years ago.
And they hhad been seen in pics with even WWII era M1 garands which could have been probably smuggled from bangok via porous NE border.

Any way Naxals are the worst in terms oof their armament and NE rebel factions have the best arsenal thanks to the Norinco arms factory and numberous black market out lets in Bangkok

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
So the Indian Border Security Force paramilitaries on parade at the Wagah sunset flag-lowering ceremony are all armed with AK-47s or AKMs which have been imported.

Wikipedia item: Bulgarian produced AK-47. Imported for police and paramilitary forces, used in some quantities by Army as well. AR fixed stock and AR-F under-folding stock variants used.
Indeed, but they are now largely switching over to the X-95 for operational roles (seen clearly at most Wagah ceremonies) but the AK is used for the ceremonial officers.

abingdonboy

Country flag
How so ? , Please shed more light into this ..
Got this from an uncle of mine (ex 7 Para) who served 2 tours in JK. In the past the RR had experimented with using captured arms years ago but had some SERIOUS issues when it came to quality control even with the captured 7.62mm rounds. My uncle told me there is a special machine somewhere in the state where the army disposes of the captured rounds they call it the "popcorn" machine as the sound of the rounds "cooking off" sounds just like popcorn popping.

I'm also dubious of whether the CAPFs use captured arms for the same reason.

Ky Loung

No..there are many pics in this forum itself which shows our men with captured aarms.What is wrong in using the tango arms if it is good?
Nothing wrong with that. The problem is people have different versions of what "good" is.

Ky Loung

I believe it. Insurgents and rebels can make high quality weapons in makeshift factory.

Redhawk

Indeed, but they are now largely switching over to the X-95 for operational roles (seen clearly at most Wagah ceremonies) but the AK is used for the ceremonial officers.
An X95? My God, it sounds like something launched into outer space.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What your uncle told is partially true, Their are AKM captured from terrorist are made by Norico, These short-barrel once are used by RR and some regular size as well ..

Got this from an uncle of mine (ex 7 Para) who served 2 tours in JK. In the past the RR had experimented with using captured arms years ago but had some SERIOUS issues when it came to quality control even with the captured 7.62mm rounds. My uncle told me there is a special machine somewhere in the state where the army disposes of the captured rounds they call it the "popcorn" machine as the sound of the rounds "cooking off" sounds just like popcorn popping.

I'm also dubious of whether the CAPFs use captured arms for the same reason.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
No most of the weaponry of terrorists are AKs from Eastern Europe ,Russia,china and egypt which were mostly supplied to them during Soviet invasion.Concerning ammo they must be probably made in NWFP or Pak ordinance factories as tribals of NWFP are excellent artists in gun making though the quality is questionable.
Concerning the use of X95s they are issued in carbine roles and major chunk of weaponry is still bulgarian AKs and INsas.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

On 20 Mar 15 based on intelligence inputs a joint operation was launched by 39 AR and State Police in Village Zote, Dist Champhai , Mizoram. During the operation one militant was apprehended along with large quantities of arms and ammunition. The recoveries included 07 -M4A1 Carbines, 01 - AK 56 & 500- 5.56mm rds.
(ADGPI - Indian Army)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their are alot of things getting in hands of NE terror group, Beside Tacticool looking M4s, They are also getting HMGs and RPGs with ammunition and IED explosives & Motars both in 81mm and 51mm ..

========>>

HMG, IEDs & RPGs
====

Graphic =>

81mm Mortar, 40mm UBGL, RPGs, RPD squad MG
@Ray Sir, This are some interesting weapons catch ..

Last edited by a moderator:

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Their are alot of things getting in hands of NE terror group, Beside Tacticool looking M4s, They are also getting HMGs and RPGs with ammunition and IED explosives & Motars both in 81mm and 51mm ..

Most militant outfits in India operate with (or despite) a shortage of weapons. And yet, for some 'inexplicable' reason, the NE militants seem to have an oversupply of modern firearms, despite their funds being amongst the lowest in India. Also interestingly, the weapons recovered from the militants are almost always of Chinese, or American origin.

The Chinese angle is easy to understand; there definitely exists a certain degree of support for the NE militants from Chinese intelligence. The American angle is interesting, however, because that implies either Thailand, or non-state actors from Thailand are involved in gun running operations in NE India.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles