C-17 Globemaster III (IAF)

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Price tussle over C-17 aircraft deal with US
I may be completely wrong here, but I have an itch that says this deal will go the way of the tankers. It is just too much money for FinMin to spend when there are Il-476 available in a couple years.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Why would a lifter cost so much? If the price included engines, spares training etc then it would make sense. 5.8 bils for just 10 planes makes it mighty expensive. But I still dont see the deal falling through considering the number "JOBS" that will be lost in the US if it did. They will make sure that the deal is signed.

plugwater

pmaitra

C-17 and A400M are not comparable. Both are different class.
Yes, you are correct that they belong to different classes. I was talking about the prodigal shopping mode that India gets into whenever any foreign head of state visits India. We have seen that during Cameron's visit and now during Obama's visit.

plugwater

Yes, you are correct that they belong to different classes. I was talking about the prodigal shopping mode that India gets into whenever any foreign head of state visits India. We have seen that during Cameron's visit and now during Obama's visit.
Yes i agree we are buying lot of things during presidents visits. But i dont think we ll buy any transport aircraft. For heavy lifting C-17 , for medium lifting C-130J and for lower end we have An-32. BSF is interested in C-27J. since C-27 and C-130 share the same engine it would be logical for BSF to select C-27 as it would reduce the maintenance problem. So i guess we are settled in transport area.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
India to buy six more C-17 airlifters from US

New Delhi. The Indian Air Force (IAF) will buy six more C 17 Globemaster III transport aircraft in addition to the 10 already being acquired.

Air Chief Marshal P V Naik has told India Strategic that these aircraft would also be purchased through the Government-to-Government route under the US Government's Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme.
The US Air Force (USAF), which is the nodal agency for the aircraft sale in this case, has already demonstrated the capability of the C 17, and met the IAF requirements. One C 17 was also brought to India in June, and was made to land and take off from a short field in Himachal as also from Leh in Jammu & Kashmir.
Discussions between the two governments to finalise the IAF's onboard equipment requirements, spares and service support and their duration – possibly over the lifetime of the aircraft – are still being held but likely to be finalized soon. A deal for the aircraft and the package price is likely to be signed once the negotiaons are through.
Boeing says it can deliver the first couple of aircraft within two years after the agreement.
The C 17 can ferry more than 70 tonnes of load over long distances, and can also be refueled midair. IAF has categorized it as the Very Heavy Transport Aircraft (VHTAC) in its list of requirements.
At present, India has less than 20 Il 76 heavy lift aircraft, acquired from the Soviet Union in 1985. The IL 76 can ferry around 45 tonnes. Notably though, for all aircraft, the range has to be calculated in accordance with the load and fuel factors.
The aircraft is now being upgraded with Russian support to obtain a life extension of 10-15 years, Air Chief Marshal Naik said.
The IL 76 has served the IAF well, giving it strategic capability for the first time in the 1980s. India could effectively assist the Maldives Government in 1988 against a coup attempt, and Air Marshal Ashok Goel, then a young officer and now India Strategic's Editor Aviation, was among the first to land this aircraft at Hulule near the Maldivian capital of Male.
Russia does not make the IL 76 any more although there are reported plans by Moscow to possibly restart its production lines, which were earlier spread across the Soviet Union's Central Asian constituents (and are now independent).
Asked if IAF would buy more C 17s, Air Chief Marshal Naik said that a decision could only be taken after some time, depending upon the requirement.
According to the Boeing company, the Indian Air Force would be the largest buyer of C 17s – despite the small number – after the US Air Force, which is buying 223 of these strategic global transport aircraft. USAF has already taken delivery of 200 C 17s, the last of them on July 30.

http://www.indiastrategic.in/topstories683.htm

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
I sometimes do not understand why we keep changing the numbers. I think same will happen after we select the MARCA.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
I sometimes do not understand why we keep changing the numbers. I think same will happen after we select the MARCA.
The update is not a rumor its a fact, its from the horse's mouth, so its a reality and an important update which we had missed earlier, took it as a speculation, which it was certainly not!

Neil

Country flag
who cares about numbers man....if its needed for securing the country why not....

Patriot

Country flag
U.S. Approves Boeing C-17 Globemaster Sale to India

A Letter of Request (LOR) has been issued to the Government of United States of America for procurement of C-17 Globemaster-III aircraft for Indian Air Force (IAF) from United States of America, through Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route. In response, Letter of Offer and Acceptance (LOA) has been received, which is being progressed.

A technology scan was carried out as per the Defence Procurement Procedure 2008 which brought out that the C-17 Globemaster-III aircraft best meets the operational requirements of a Very Heavy Transport Aircraft (VHETAC) class for the Indian Air Force.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri Jai Prakash Narayan Singh in Rajya Sabha today.

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4855

Parthy

Air Warrior
Boeing to cut 1,100 jobs in C-17 program

US aerospace giant Boeing said Thursday it will cut about 1,100 jobs over the next two years as it slows production of its C-17 military transport aircraft.

Boeing said it would deliver 13 C-17s in 2011, one less than the prior year, as it moves to a new annual production rate of 10.

"Boeing will reduce the production program's work force by approximately 1,100 jobs through the end of 2012," the Chicago-based firm said in statement.

The transition to the new production rate was announced in February 2010.

The long-haul military cargo C-17, which is in its 18th year of service, can carry large equipment, supplies and troops directly to small airfields, the company says.

"The fleet continues to operate at an accelerated rate due to the recent troop surge in Afghanistan," Boeing said.

"It achieved two million total flight hours in December, less than five years after it passed the one-million-flight-hour mark."

The US Air Force is the biggest customer, taking 206 of the 226 C-17s delivered worldwide.

Boeing's foreign military customers include Britain, Canada, Australia, United Arab Emirates and Qatar, as well as the NATO-led Strategic Airlift Capability consortium.

The C-17 has also supported humanitarian and disaster-relief missions, such as providing relief to Haiti in the aftermath of a devastating hurricane a year ago.

Boeing said the move to a slower production rate "will be completed this summer" and lead to the elimination of the second shift at the C-17 final assembly facility in Long Beach, California.

About 900 of the planned 1,100 job cuts were expected to be made at the Long Beach plant. The remainder of the reductions will occur in Arizona, Georgia and Missouri.

"Reducing the number of C-17s we deliver every year -- and doing that with a smaller work force -- will allow us to keep the production line open beyond 2012, protect jobs, and give potential customers more time to finalize their airlift requirements," Bob Ciesla, C-17 program manager, said in the statement.

Boeing said it was working to capture additional international orders for the C-17, and that India and Kuwait were expected to be the next customers.

The Defense Department's proposed fiscal 2011 budget funds the shutdown of the C-17 program.

Boeing shares were down 1.69 percent at $70.52 in midday New York trade.

http://www.defencetalk.com/boeing-c-17-program-jobs-cut-31474/

Parthy

Air Warrior
Tête-à-tête with a C-17 pilot

The presence of United States at Aero India 2011 was massive and truly impressive with fighters like F-16, F/A-18, etc fighters continuously mesmerising the public with its superb aerial displays. This year, US brought a beast at the airshow, the Boeing C-17 Globemaster-III. Brahmand.com got an exclusive opportunity to see inside the aircraft including the cockpit, and also had a brief conversation with the USAF C-17 pilot, Nicolas Gillin. Nicolas is currently attending the airshow to promote C-17 Globemaster-III in India.

Q. The Indian Air Force (IAF) has shortlisted the Boeing C 17 Globemaster III as its new Very Heavy Lift Transport Aircraft (VHTAC) and the Government of United States of America has finalised the $4.1-billion sale of 10 C-17 Globemaster-III. What is your opinion on that and how C-17 would be beneficial for the IAF?

A: The Boeing C-17 Globemaster III military aircraft is a high-wing, four-engine, long-range transport aircraft capable of carrying payloads up to 169,000lb. C-17 is designed efficiently, incorporating a number of advanced features. I am pretty much sure that the C-17 Globemaster-III aircraft best meets the operational requirements of a Very Heavy Transport Aircraft (VHETAC) class for the Indian Air Force.

Q. Can you please describe the capabilities of the aircraft?

A: The C-17 Globemaster III is the newest, most flexible cargo aircraft to enter the airlift force. The aircraft has the capacity to carry a cargo of wheeled U.S. Army vehicles in two side-by-side rows. US Army mobile equipments M1 Abrams main battle tank, M2/M3 Bradley armored personnel carriers, approx four UH-60 Blackhawk transport helicopters, or up to two AH-64 Apache attack helicopters is easily carried by the plane. In addition, the C-17 makes use of blown flaps, vortex generators, and thrust reversers for exceptional short field performance. It can fly 2,400 nautical miles, and is manoeuvrable enough to reverse direction using a three-point turn. Its cockpit accommodates pilot, co-pilot and two observer positions. It drops a single 60,000-lb. payload, with sequential load drops of 110,000 lb. There are 54 seats on the sidewall and 48 in the center-line.

Q. As a pilot, what is your experience with the C-17?

A: I have been flying C-17 Globemaster-III for one and half years and have completed till date 500 flying hours. As C-17 pilot we only operate the C-17 Globemaster-III and our primary responsibility is to deliver troops, weapons and military equipment to military operations anywhere in the world. To describe the experience of flying a beast C-17 is not easy. You have to be in it to experience such a fantastic and unmatched feeling. I can only add that, there is nothing like the freedom you feel when you are high above the clouds. Every day is a blue sky day. I love being a C-17 pilot and I love every moment of my job.

Q. How was your first flight? Were you nervous on your first C-17 flight?

A: I wasn't nervous. I was a little anxious, but not about safety. And I wasn't afraid that I couldn't get the airplane off the ground, fly it successfully, or land it. I was more anxious about getting through the test points without screwing up. The C-17 flew much as I expected it to fly like a beast. My first flight lasted an hour and a half.

Q. How do you see Aero India 2011? Can please share your experience on that?

A: I have been to many airshows worldwide. In India, this is my first time. This is Asia's biggest airshow with so many countries and air force around the world participating in it. The Aero India team and the Defence Ministry of India are doing a great job in maintaining the higher standard of the show. Personally, I am loving every moment of being here. There are lots and lots of people visiting and all of them are interested to take photograph with me and the aircraft. And, there are others who are interested in defence and military technologies and want to know everything about the aircraft. It's hectic but I am enjoying it, as not only in India, but in USA also you'll find enthusiastic people who are interested in aircraft, etc and wants to take photographs with it. Overall, if given an opportunity I would definitely love to Visit India once again.

http://www.brahmand.com/news/Tête-à-tête-with-a-C-17-pilot/6301/1/41.html

plugwater

IAF finalises order for 10 C-17 strategic airlifters

NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force (IAF) is set to place orders for 10 Boeing C-17 Globemaster-III strategic airlifters within this month in a deal valued at $4.1 billion.

Discussions between the IAF and the US Air Force (USAF), as well as the Indian ministry of defence and the US Department of Defence concluded here Feb 15, with Boeing accepting the detailed terms for 30 percent mandatory offsets clause.

The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), which is the final authority for major defence and other acquisitions, is likely to approve the deal at its next meeting as funds for the purchase of the C-17s have been approved for the fiscal 2010-11.

Vivek Lall, Boeing's outgoing vice president in India for defence, space and security, confirmed the agreement on offsets but declined to give any financial details.

Sources in Washington, however, told India Strategic defence magazine that the deal is for $4.1 billion, as indicated by the US administration on the eve of President Barack Obama's visit to India last November.

The IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik, had told India Strategic that it would be going in for an additional six C-17s.

There could however be further orders as IAF's fleet of Soviet vintage heavy strategic lift IL-76 aircraft is already 26 years old. These aircraft are being modernized and would serve the IAF for about 10-15 more years.

By that time, the new generation C-17s would operationally be well-assimilated in the IAF.

India has about 20 IL-76 aircraft and the IAF may eventually go in for about 25 C-17s.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-strategic-airlifters/articleshow/7729976.cms

plugwater

I have a doubt with timing of declaration of this deal. Is it a consolation prize to USA for not getting MRCA deal?
Might be, With all the sticks congress getting from the opposition for siding towards USA and this deal might make MRCA deal go to Europeans.

Last edited:

nrj

Country flag
I have a doubt with timing of declaration of this deal. Is it a consolation prize to USA for not getting MRCA deal?
Hard to say so.

Heavy lifter deal was always in US basket. Question is of order numbers. I believe its not fixed even yet.

the IAF may eventually go in for about 25 C-17s.
What to do with them? Invade Antartica?

Articles