Aryan Invasion Hypothesis

viklewapatel

Country flag
No support for the Aryan invasion

There is now universal agreement that various Indian populations share a common late Pleistocene maternal and paternal ancestry, along with detectable east and west Eurasian ancestries.

Using hundreds of thousands of autosomal markers, we illustrated that the Indian populations have two major distinct ancestry components; one restricted to southern India, the second one restricted to the northern region of India[30, 32]. It is noteworthy that both of the ancestry components show higher haplotypic diversity than those predominant in west Eurasia[32]. This rejects the idea of an Aryan invasion/migration and suggests an ancient demographic history and/or higher long-term larger effective population size in India than in west Eurasia.
https://archive.md/LEWA3#selection-1233.3-1245.187

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
The Archaeogenetics blog viz VASISTHA

David Anthony, Michael Witzel, Asko Parpola & the Potapovka horse head burial Hoax.

In 1995, a paper1 was published by David Anthony, the well known kurganist, and Prof Nikolai Vinogradov titled 'Birth of the Chariot'. The paper mainly sought to explain the findings at the Potapovka & Sintashta-Petrovka sites in Russian steppe and relate them to Vedic rituals. Before we get to the crux of this article, I first want to deal with 2 other claims made in the same 1995 paper. First one is:

Other offerings in the Sintashta-Petrovka graves also have a bearing on the hymns of the Rig Veda. One of the most sacred rituals described is the racehorse sacrifice. The animal is preceded by a goat, the symbol of Püsan, the god of paths and ways, who will lead the sacrificed horse to the heavens.
Then they quote Wendy Doniger's translations of some Rks of the Rig Veda
The chariot follows you, Swift Runner; the young man follows , the cow follows, the love of young girls follows. The troops follow your friendship. The gods entrusted virile power to you. Your body flies, Swift Runner; your spirit rushes like the wind. Your mane, spread in many directions, flickers and jumps about in the forests [like sunlight]. The racehorse comes to the slaughter, pondering with his heart turned to the gods. The goat, his kin, is led in front; behind come the poets, the singers. . . Let this racehorse bring us good cattle and good horses, male children and all-nourishing wealth. Let Aditi [a goddess] make us free from sin. Let the horse with our offerings achieve sovereign power for us.
Keep the limbs undamaged and place them in the proper manner. Cut them apart, calling out piece by piece. As many of your limbs as I set out, according to the rules, so many balls [of meat] I offer into the fire
This is from RV 1.162, whose Griffith translation can be found here. It basically describes the Ashwamedha Yajna, more details of which are found in Mahabharata & Ramayana, and the details of the ritual can be read here.

One should note that the Ashwamedha is a 13+ month long ritual and is associated with expressing the King's sovereignty over his lands or is done to beget strong male offspring (eg. the horse sacrifice done by King Dasharatha in Ramayana to beget sons). It is IN NO WAY RELATED TO FUNERAL PRACTICES LIKE WHAT YOU SEE IN SINTASHTA PETROVKA GRAVES. The paper states:

Horses were often sacrificed in the mortuary rites of the Sintashta-Petrovka culture. Many, like the pair at Krivoe Ozerò, appear to have been chariot teams and may possibly have been racehorses. Their heads and hides, with lower front legs intact, were deposited in the grave, while their lower back legs were cut off and laid out separately. The rest of the horse's body was probably eaten by the burial party.
There is not a single mention in any Vedic text of horse sacrifice as a mortuary/funeral ritual.

Now that this topic is done away with, we move on to the next one. Anthony & Doniger somehow identify a Kurgan in the RV Riks.

Describing an Aryan kurgan, the Rig Veda says:

...Let them bury death in this hill I shore up the earth all around you; let me not injure you as I lay down this clod of earth. Let the fathers hold up this pillar for you; let Yama [the first mortal human, whose death was the first] build a house for you here.
This is taken from RV 10.18.4 and 10.18.13.

'Let them bury death in this hill/mountain' and 'I shore up earth all around you' are taken from 10.18.4 and 10.18.13 respectively, and made to sound like it is the process of building up a Sintashta kurgan, whereas it is not. It is disingenuous. The Griffith translation of the relevant sukta is here.

1. Go hence, O Death, pursue thy special pathway apart from that which Gods are wont to travel. To thee I say it who hast eyes and hearest: Touch not our offspring, injure not our heroes.
2 As ye have come effacing Mrtyu's footstep, to further times prolonging your existence,
May ye be rich in children and possessions. cleansed, purified, and meet for sacrificing.
3 Divided from the dead are these, the living: now be our calling on the Gods successful.
We have gone forth for dancing and for laughter, tofurther times prolonging our existence.
4 Here I erect this rampart for the living; let none of these, none other, reach this limit.
May they survive a hundred lengthened autumns, and may they bury Death beneath this mountain.

5 As the days follow days in close succession, as with the seasons duly come the seasons,
As each successor fails not his foregoer, so form the lives of these, O great Ordainer.
6 Live your full lives ap! find old age delightful, all of you striving one behind the other.
May Tvaṣṭar, maker of fair things, be gracious and lengthen out the days of your existence.
7 Let these unwidowed dames with noble husbands adorn themselves with fragrant balm and unguent.
Decked with fair jewels, tearless, free from sorrow, first let the dames go up to where he lieth.
8 Rise, come unto the world of life, O woman: come, he is lifeless by whose side thou liest.
Wifehood with this thy husband was thy portion, who took thy hand and wooed thee as a lover.
9 From his dead hand I take the bow be carried, that it may be our power and might and glory.
There art thou, there; and here with noble heroes may we o’ercome all hosts that fight against us.
10 Betake thee to the Iap of Earth the Mother, of Earth far-spreading, very kind and gracious.
Young Dame, wool-soft unto the guerdongiver, may she preserve thee from Destruction's bosom.
11 Heave thyself, Earth, nor press thee downward heavily: afford him easy access, gently tending him. Cover him, as a mother wraps her skirt about her child, O Earth.
12 Now let the heaving earth be free from motion: yea,—let a thousand clods remain above him. Be they to him a home distilling fatness, here let them ever be his place of refuge.
13 I stay the earth from thee, while over thee I place this piece of earth. May I be free from injury. Here let the Fathers keep this pillar firm for thee, and there let Yama make thee an abiding-place.
14 Even as an arrow's feathers, they have set me on a fitting day.
The fit word have I caught and held as ’twere a courser with the rein.
The only instruction for building anything is to erect a stone circle rampart to separate the dead from the living (boundary between burial and village). It does not instruct anyone to build a hill on the grave of the dead.

Translation of 10.18.4 by HH Wilson (1866)
“I erect this circle (of stones) for (the protection of) the living, that none other of them may approach thislimit; may they live a hundred years, occupied by many holy works, and keep death hidden by this mound.”

Commentary by Sāyaṇa: Ṛgveda-bhāṣya (14th Century CE)
I erect this circle of stones: after the burning of the body, the Adhvaryu is to raise a bank or lump or earth between the village where the deceased lived and the cemetery, as a rampart against death (Mahīdhara, Yajus. 35.15);

With these behind, we can now move on to the main theme of this article.

The potapovka horse and head burial hoax.

potapovka horse head sacrifice hoax

In the 1995 paper, Anthony and Vinogradov write
There are other parallels between Sintashta-Petrovka burials and the sacred text. In an important Rig Veda myth, the Divine Twins, called the Ashvins, seek the secret of a magical drink of mead from the god Tvastr, who created it. A human fire-priest, Dadhyañc Atharvana, knows the secret but cannot reveal it. The Ashvins cut off his head and replace it with a magical horse head, through which the fire -priest can speak to them and disclose the secret of the mead. This strange tale may be evident at the site of Potapovka, near Samara on the Volga River. Igor Vasiliev, deputy director of the Urals Region Institute of Archaeology, excavated kurgan graves at Potapovka that belong to a variant of the Sintashta-Petrovka culture. They have horse sacrifices, studded bridle cheekpieces, and other characteristic grave offerings. A human sacrifice, very rarely encountered in Sintashta-Petrovka cemeteries, was discovered under one kurgan. The body of the decapitated victim had been placed on top of the central grave pit after it was filled with earth. The head had been replaced with that of a horse, as in the myth of the fire-priest Dadhyañc Atharvana
Since then, this horse head human sacrifice burial has been cited often by other Indologists, even till current times.

Michael Witzel, the Harvard indologist, writes in his 2019 paper2

Importantly, even some aspects of typical IA social culture have turned up in the archaeology of the Ural area, such as theVrātya young men association (Männerbund) that celebrated a‘dog killing’(śvagn-in) ritual in winter. Remnants of it have recently been discovered at Krasno-Samarskoye, just west of the Urals. In the same area, some 40 years ago, a grave has been found with a headless body; instead a horse head had been substituted, just as in the Ṛgvedic Dadhyañc myth.
The noted Finnish Indologist Asko Parpola wrote in his 2015 book pg 1223,

The Dadhyañc legend also speaks of providing a human sage with a horse’s head. Such an operation may have been an integral part of the secret rite of reviving a dead hero. It is tempting to see this Aśvin-related revival rite revealed in a human skeleton with the skull of a horse, which was excavated in a unique grave near Samara in the Mid-Volga region of Russia; it belongs to the Potapovka culture, dated to c. 2100–1700 bce, and was very probably the skeleton of a Proto-Indo-Aryan speaker.
Although, unlike Witzel, he is careful to note that there could be a problem with this narrative.

It must be noted, however, that the evidence of the Potapovka grave has been questioned, because of a suspected mixing of the archaeological layers.
The funny thing is that none of this is true. The horse head and the human are actually dated 1000 years apart and both the horse and the human are female. There was no horse head replacement and human sacrifice. This admission is made slyly in the notes section in David Anthony's book4 from 2007.

17. In Table 1, sample AA 47803, dated ca. 2900–2600 BCE, was from a human skeleton of the Poltavka period that was later cut through and decapitated by a much deeper Potapovka grave pit. A horse sacrifice above the Potapovka grave is dated by sample AA 47802 to about 1900–1800 BCE. Although they were almost a thousand years apart, they looked, on excavation, like they were deposited together, with the Potapovka horse skull lying above the shoulders of the decapitated Poltavka human. Before dates were obtained on both the horse and the skeleton this deposit was interpreted as a “centaur”—a decapitated human with his head replaced by the head of a horse, an important combination in Indo-Iranian mythology. But Nerissa Russell and Eileen Murphy found that both the horse and the human were female, and the dates show that they were buried a thousand years apart. Similarly sample AA-12569 was from an older Poltavka-period dog sacrifice found on the ancient ground surface at the edge of Potapovka grave 6 under kurgan 5 at the same cemetery. Older Poltavka sacrifices and graves were discovered under both kurgans 3 and 5 at Potapovka cemetery I. The Poltavka funeral deposits were so disturbed by the Potapovka grave diggers that they remained unrecognized until the radiocarbon dates made us take a second look. The “centaur” possibility was mentioned in Anthony and Vinogradov 1995, five or six years before the two pieces were dated. Of course, it now must be abandoned.
There you have it, this is how a claim made in 1995 and debunked in 2000/2001 is still cited by Indologists in 2015 and 2019. It will remain a part of 'IE Studies' folklore.

References.

1 Anthony, D. W., & Vinogradov, N. B. (1995). BIRTH OF THE CHARIOT. Archaeology, 48(2), 36–41. http://www.jstor.org/stable/41771098

2 Witzel, Michael. (2019). Early ‘Aryans’ and their neighbors outside and inside India. Journal of Biosciences. 44. 10.1007/s12038-019-9881-7.

3 Parpola A. The Roots of Hinduism: The Early Aryans and The Indus Civilization. Oxford University Press; 2015. https://oxford.universitypressschol...o/9780190226909.001.0001/acprof-9780190226909. Accessed December 14, 2021.

4 Anthony, d. w. (2007). The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World. Princeton University Press. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctt7sjpn

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
@Haldilal Oldest Shlokas from the RigVeda confirm that Ganga valley is the original home to the Vedic Arya.

DHARMA triumph15.JPG

Ashvins, leaders of the human nation, old and constant is your friendship, blissful, restful and pleasing
as a holiday home.
Your wealth and power the culture and philosophy lies on the banks of Jahnavi /Ganga (Jahanaavyam).

Gangamagnificient.png

Let us together, equal and alike, doing friendly and benevolent acts, again and again, join, sing and
celebrate

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
VASISTHA

Seething butthurt eurfags.

A Reply to the anthrogenica clique's criticism of my Steppe Eneolithic Post.

I recently wrote a post in which my analysis showed that The same ancestors which provided iranian like ancestry to Irula tribals also provided ancestry to Steppe Eneolithic as well as South Central Asia (Sarazm aDna etc). One can read the post here.
For feedback as well as spreading the post, I posted the link to a popular DNA & population genomics forum - Anthrogenica. Quite unexpectedly, immediately after, I was suspended from Anthrogenica with no reason or message whatsoever. I always knew it is a Kurganist bastion, but never quite expected this level of censorship to opposing ideas. I am glad though, starting this blog is now worth it. Also, credit to Davidski at Eurogenes blog for allowing me on his blog comments section even with my opposing views.
I came to know that the Moderator who banned me is a handle named Coldmountains, a handle who I have in the past ridiculed quite a lot (in Eurogenes comment section) for not finding a single R-L657 indian y haplogroup in the steppe since 2015. Poor guy comes empty handed after each successive paper when new samples from the steppe are published. His search still goes on. Meanwhile the only L657+ sample we have so far in aDna is from Roopkund lake India 800CE.
The link to my Anthrogenica thread is here. Please register and show Anthrogenica some love in this thread and elsewhere. The moderator clique there is in an echochamber and needs some awakening.
Anyway, let move on to the criticism of my post. There is just one, and sadly i couldn't reply because I was banned. Hence this post.
Kale on 25-Nov-2021 wrote.

Kotias is a pseudo-haploid sample > That means rather than having two different sets of chromosomes like a real person, it is treated as having two exactly identical sets > That means the drift going to itself it going to be crazy high > If you have an edge coming out of an artificially crazy high drift, the percentage contribution has to be artificially crazy small to avoid overfitting.

This graph is completely uninformative until structured properly.
Kale is absolutely wrong here. The pseudo-haploid* samples do not cause artificial high drift edges, rather, the artificially high drift is due to just 1 sample in the label because of which heterozygosity cannot be computed for the label. This problem is solved by using 2 samples in the label even if samples are pseudo-haploid. This is not a problem for .DG samples as these are diploid genomes and allow for heterozygous calls.
This is exactly what I have done in the graph below (later). I lumped Satsurblia & Kotias into 1 label known as CHG. I will show that my conclusion does not change.
Proof of my claim is from the programmers of Admixtools in their qpGraph readme pasted below. Should have been basic reading right?

Genotypes are expected to be pseudo-haploid -- 2 samples at least per population or drift lengths on leaves are not meaningful.
As far as edges coming out of artificially high drifts are concerned, sister clades of Kotias also did not help Kales case. See, i spent weeks on the model trying every possibility. Them not being able to read the graph is not my problem.
Below I will paste my new qpGraph for Steppe Eneolithic which follows these principles and should be acceptable to the Kurganists as well.

1. Worst residual ZScore below 3.
  2. CHG label now has 2 samples and therefore allows for heterozygous calls.
  3. Each admixture node has a drift edge following it rather than an immediate admixture edge. 1 or 2 admixture edges in my graph follow an immediate admixture node because the drift edge length was 0 (hence i omitted them)
  4. Non 0 drift edges implying that the edge is a true one. (This is not a strict need. qpGraph disallows immediate admixture edge if the admixed node is labeled as a number. But qpGraph allows the admixture node to be a source to another node if the label given to it is alphanumeric. This is useful if multiple admixtures together are to be modeled.)

Please click on the graph for high res mobile view. On Desktop download image and zoom in a zoomable picture viewer.
Steppe eneolithich qpgraph

DISCUSSION
After correcting all criticisms, the need for IndiaN component in Steppe eneolithic does not go away. I again prove that the same ancestors who ultimately provided ancestry to Steppe Eneolithic in 5th mil BCE also provided ancestry to Irula tribe (and by extension most of indian groups). The minute criticisms which Kurganists come up with are immaterial now, because of course they will come up with them. So far, they have been busy denying even Iranian inflow into steppe (its a mater of purity of course!), so to accept South/ SC Asian origin is a different matter altogether.
I conclude that Steppe_En is
60% EHG + 12% CHG + 22% IndiaN related + 6% IranN related +- std errors

As I stated in my previous post:

Where this IndiaN source lived in 6th millenium bce is unknown yet, but in the vicinity of NW south asia and SC asia will be a good guess. Could be either early Mehrgarh culture or Jeitun culture but we need ancient samples from these cultures.

*pseudo-haploid genome = randomly sampling 1 allele from a biallelic SNP (Single Nucleotide polymorphism) marker.
Diploid genome = sampling both alleles of the biallelic SNP

Heterozygosity = measure of genetic variability in a population (cannot be computed with single haploid genome)

Input and output file of graph can be found in drive here.

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
The interesting thing is this R1a1 sample is showing 100% Irula and 0% I8726 (= Indus periphery sample from Shahr-Sokhta Iran with least AASI (Onge like) component)

Irula itself can be modeled as (Rakhigarhi + Onge) or (Darra-i-kur_afghanistan + Onge) with -ve coefficients for Sintashta, or negligible noise level steppe ancestry considering std errors

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
Mionians were around 30% IranN/CHG but no steppe ancestry. Mycean Greeks were genetically similar yet distinct to Mionians as they carried additional 15% steppe ancestry.

I don't know how long they are going to peddle this fake narrative that steppe ancestry = Indo-European + no steppe = non-indo-European.

Mionian + Steppe = Mycean Greek
Harappa + Steppe = Vedic sanskrit

I mean how the hell do they explain steppe ancestry resulting into Greek and Sanskrit around the same time.

Jokers

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
Iran and CHG in all likely hood spoke same language or different dialects of the same language.

It's highly unlikely that CHG and IranN in their unmixed pure states spoke as divergent language families as IE and Dravidian.

Current consensus in the Max plank institute is CHG is the PIE signal. If that truly holds then there is likely possibility of IranN also being IE.

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
Though the counter claim of people like those running Eurogene blog is that Indo-European or for that matter PIE was spoken by EHG males while CHG which was mediated through females was some other language family.

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
As per geneticists like Razib Khan

ANI were 70%IVC + 30%steppe
ASI were 30%IVC + 70% AASI

Somehow based on this Jats/Kalash/Rors appear to be your ANI like population lol

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
Yes indeed.

Age of illusion.
If you have good communication skills you are likely to rule the rooster.

Compared to men like me who have been harassed by women for decades.

That guy is trolling the world, raking in money and fking hot blonds.

He is a life lesson for young people.

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
There are more temples dedicated to Surya than to Indra Bagha Mitra Varuna etc combined.

I don't know what to make of it.

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
R1a1 in Roopkund sample with 0 steppe ancestry

Samples with steppe ancestry with non steppe Y Haplogroups which again points to female mediated steppe ancestry.

VASISTHA

R1a L657 in Roopkund lake, Uttarakhand from 800CE, but no Steppe.

In 2019, a paper1 was published with the analysis of the remains of 38 individuals whose bones were found in Roopkund lake, Uttarakhand at an altitude on 5000m above sea level.
Roopkund lake bones, Uttarakhand, India
Context of Roopkund Lake. a Map showing the location of Roopkund Lake. The approximate route of the Nanda Devi Raj Jat pilgrimage relative to Roopkund Lake is shown in the inset. b Image of disarticulated skeletal elements scattered around the Roopkund Lake site. Photo by Himadri Sinha Roy. c Image of Roopkund Lake and surrounding mountains. Photo by Atish Waghwase
13 of these skeletons were confirmed to have died around 1800CE in a single event. These 13 individuals had east mediterranean ancestry, ie. they were foreigners. They were also accompanied by 1 person of Malaysian/vietnamese descent.
On the contrary, it was found that 23 of these Individuals were Indians seemingly from differing jAtis and geographies within India. 10 were women, and 13 were men. They all died between 700CE and 900CE, possibly in separate incidents. It is likely that these people were going on a 'teerth' to nanda Devi temple and had an accident/bad weather during the mountainous trek. It is this group which is called Roopkund_A that I will analyze in this post. So far, it is the only high coverage group of ancient DNA that we have from India.
What makes this group A so fascinating is that all these individuals are unrelated and are like a snapshot of whole of India at that particular time (800CE). The sample size is also decent. The PCA below will explain.
PCA for Roopkund A
Roopkund A PCA
16 of the 23 A group samples, and note of which modern population is closest to each. Click to enlarge.

All 23 Roopkund_A samples and best qpAdm models.

Sample ID​
Gender​
Y HG​
p-Value​
I8726​
Sintashta​
Irula​
WSHG​
Mongolia_N​
Tarim_EMBA​
I3351​
M​
J2b2a~​
0.8420​
31%​
34%​
34%​
I6938​
F​
-​
0.2296​
27%​
29%​
38%​
6%​
I2872​
F​
-​
0.0772​
41%​
28%​
31%​
I3406​
M​
J2a1a1b1​
0.1210​
47%​
26%​
15%​
4%​
10%​
I6943​
M​
J2b2a2b~​
0.8163​
37%​
24%​
39%​
I2871​
F​
-​
0.1623​
44%​
23%​
33%​
I3349​
F​
-​
0.3871​
31%​
22%​
47%​
I3346​
M​
E1b1b1b2a1a~​
0.0375​
32%​
22%​
47%​
I6945​
F​
-​
0.0743​
10%​
20%​
70%​
I6934​
F​
-​
0.4091​
54%​
18%​
28%​
I6944​
F​
-​
0.3330​
21%​
18%​
61%​
I3352​
M​
R2a2b1b2b​
0.1488​
48%​
15%​
37%​
I7036​
M​
R2​
0.0670​
18%​
14%​
59%​
10%​
I3344​
F​
-​
0.0945​
45%​
11%​
44%​
I3343​
F​
-​
0.2011​
28%​
11%​
61%​
I3402​
M​
H3b​
0.0067​
41%​
11%​
33%​
15%​
I6941​
M​
R2​
0.1235​
8%​
10%​
74%​
8%​
I3342​
M​
H1a1a4b​
0.1230​
29%​
9%​
53%​
10%​
I7035​
F​
-​
0.1260​
20%​
6%​
74%​
I2868​
M​
H1a1b1​
0.2126​
20%​
6%​
74%​
I3407​
M​
H1a1a4b​
0.0880​
15%​
4%​
81%​
I6946​
M​
R1a1a​
0.2905​
100%​
I6942​
M​
R1a1a1b2a1a1a1f~​
0.1593​
100%​

I8726 = Indus periphery sample from Shahr-Sokhta Iran with least AASI (Onge like) component
Irula are Dravidian (also called Irula language) speaking tribals from Tamil nadu
WSHG = Western Siberian Hunter gatherers, samples found in Tyumen and Sosonivoy (Russia)
Mongolia_N = Mongolia North Neolithic samples with east asian ancestry
Tarim_EMBA = Tarim basin samples from the Xiaohe culture 1900BCE
All qpAdm result files can be found here

Irula itself can be modeled as (Rakhigarhi + Onge) or (Darra-i-kur_afghanistan + Onge) with -ve coefficients for Sintashta, or negligible noise level steppe ancestry considering std errors (results in folder link above)

Irula qpadm

On performing statistical analysis on the above data we can say that

1. Irula component is statistically significantly associated with Y hg R1a at 99% confidence interval (independent t-test p value = 0.0000107561) compared to non R1a. Click for report.
  2. Sintashta component is statistically significantly associated with the J2 y HG at 99% confidence interval (independent t-test p value = 0.00595690) compared with non J2. Click for report. This is only possible if Sintashta autosomal ancestry was ultimately incorporated through steppe rich females (as Sintashta male samples are all R1a). A similar result is seen in the Swat valley IA data (Narasimhan et al 2019).
  3. Y Hgs R2 and H are not statistically significantly associated with any component. Low sample size becomes relevant here as null hypothesis could not be rejected like in above 2 cases.
Above is my proof to all those who say and keep saying that there is a very high correlation between Steppe ancestry and R1a in modern Indians. The only proper aDna sampleset we have from India shows exactly the opposite correlation.

On Y-Haplogroup R1a-L657

Y haplogroup can be determined from analyzing the Y chromosome of a male. Non recombining portion of Y chr is passed on only from father to son, and thus paternity can be determined. Once in many generations, one male undergoes one or many mutations in the Y chr (eg C -> T, G->A etc) and thus a subclade is born. This mutated subclade will now pass on through his son.

This is how R-L657 was born from Z93. (Brackets denote ISOGG notation)

R>R1>R1a>R1a1>R1a1a>R1a1a1>R1a1a1b>

> Z93(R1a1a1b2)> Z94(R1a1a1b2a)> Y3(R1a1a1b2a1)> L657(R1a1a1b2a1a)

Sample id I6942 is the only R-L657+ (+ means DERIVED or presence for the particular mutation, - means ANCESTRAL or absence of that mutation) found in ancient DNA so far. R-L657 is that subclade of R1a which is now common in Indian subcontinent and the middle east, but not found in modern Europe or ancient europe/steppe. The ISOGG name for it is R1a1a1b2a1a. Technically, I6942 is + for R-Y5 (R1a1a1b2a1a1a1~) and R-Y928 (R1a1a1b2a1a1a1f~) which implies that it is + for L657 as well.

It is safe to say that R-Y3 & R-L657 and its subclades were born in the Indian subcontinent given its absence in modern and ancient steppe and Europe (except Indian immigrants and the Romanis). I have always maintained that given that the formation and spread of R-Y3 is 2600 bce and R-L657 is 2200 bce respectively (YFull), that their paternal ancestors (Z93 and Z94) were somehow present in Indian subcontinent but without the presence of autosomal steppe ancestry which enters Indian subcontinent only post 1500 bce.

How did R-L657 reach India?
Here, it is worth noting that the oldest Z93 samples have been found in Fatyanovo culture, Russia dating to 2500 bce. So it is likely that this Z93 did enter India around the same time from Russia, however it would not be accompanied by any noticeable change in autosomal ancestry. Autosomal ancestry is that which recombines and is present in chr 1-22, and is passed 50-50% from both parents to child. Steppe autosomal ancestry only enters india post 1500 bce.

The other option of course is that India was the source of R1a to Europe, to prove which we need tonnes of ancient DNA which we don't have. Europe also has ancient samples of ancestors of Z93, like Z645 and M417 and so on, which makes european origin of R1a much more likely. So I will not consider this option yet, although its plausible. There can always be haplogroups which reach multiple places due to some travel savvy ancients :)

This has happened before, we see y hg J2 and J1 (and subclades) from Iran, caucasus and SC asia neolithic in european samples in Karelia_EHG and Austria LBK, Hungary_Sopot without any apparent autosomal ancestry from the source regions. Autosomal ancestry from a parent can dilute to ~0% easily in 7 generations if the sons end up marrying local women (50%>25%>12.5%>6.25%>3.125%>1.5%>~0) ie 150 years.

Some make the argument that the lack of R1a in Shahr Sokhta, BMAC, Turan eneolithic proves that R1a was absent in this region. To which my response is that these regions saw population turnover starting 4th mill bce or even earlier by a population like Tepe Hissar/Seh Gabi to the tune of >60% and a resulting Y HG turnover. This is the reason why west asian Y haplogroups like E1b and G2 appear in the record in the regions adjoining NW India. This turnover never happened in Indian subcontinent as Indians lack this anatolian heavy component. So I don't consider this evidence very strong, more data is needed.

SUMMARY
1. Sintashta component not correlated with R1a in RoopkundA samples, whereas Irula component is.

2. J2a/J2b significantly correlated with higher steppe ancestry in RoopkundA samples, steppe ancestry mediated through females.

3. I discuss possibilities regarding R-L657 reaching India.

With this, I present the results of the L657 poll, I guess it's clear that Indian subcontinent won this one.

R-L657 poll

Also read

Scratching my head! - Criticism of Narsimhan VM et al 2019 - Pt 1

The West/East Divide among Indo-Aryan languages

1 Harney, É., Nayak, A., Patterson, N. et al. Ancient DNA from the skeletons of Roopkund Lake reveals Mediterranean migrants in India. Nat Commun 10, 3670 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-11357-9

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
VASISTHA

R1a L657 in Roopkund lake, Uttarakhand from 800CE, but no Steppe.

In 2019, a paper1 was published with the analysis of the remains of 38 individuals whose bones were found in Roopkund lake, Uttarakhand at an altitude on 5000m above sea level.
Roopkund lake bones, Uttarakhand, India
Context of Roopkund Lake. a Map showing the location of Roopkund Lake. The approximate route of the Nanda Devi Raj Jat pilgrimage relative to Roopkund Lake is shown in the inset. b Image of disarticulated skeletal elements scattered around the Roopkund Lake site. Photo by Himadri Sinha Roy. c Image of Roopkund Lake and surrounding mountains. Photo by Atish Waghwase
13 of these skeletons were confirmed to have died around 1800CE in a single event. These 13 individuals had east mediterranean ancestry, ie. they were foreigners. They were also accompanied by 1 person of Malaysian/vietnamese descent.
On the contrary, it was found that 23 of these Individuals were Indians seemingly from differing jAtis and geographies within India. 10 were women, and 13 were men. They all died between 700CE and 900CE, possibly in separate incidents. It is likely that these people were going on a 'teerth' to nanda Devi temple and had an accident/bad weather during the mountainous trek. It is this group which is called Roopkund_A that I will analyze in this post. So far, it is the only high coverage group of ancient DNA that we have from India.
What makes this group A so fascinating is that all these individuals are unrelated and are like a snapshot of whole of India at that particular time (800CE). The sample size is also decent. The PCA below will explain.
PCA for Roopkund A
Roopkund A PCA
16 of the 23 A group samples, and note of which modern population is closest to each. Click to enlarge.

All 23 Roopkund_A samples and best qpAdm models.

Sample ID​
Gender​
Y HG​
p-Value​
I8726​
Sintashta​
Irula​
WSHG​
Mongolia_N​
Tarim_EMBA​
I3351​
M​
J2b2a~​
0.8420​
31%​
34%​
34%​
I6938​
F​
-​
0.2296​
27%​
29%​
38%​
6%​
I2872​
F​
-​
0.0772​
41%​
28%​
31%​
I3406​
M​
J2a1a1b1​
0.1210​
47%​
26%​
15%​
4%​
10%​
I6943​
M​
J2b2a2b~​
0.8163​
37%​
24%​
39%​
I2871​
F​
-​
0.1623​
44%​
23%​
33%​
I3349​
F​
-​
0.3871​
31%​
22%​
47%​
I3346​
M​
E1b1b1b2a1a~​
0.0375​
32%​
22%​
47%​
I6945​
F​
-​
0.0743​
10%​
20%​
70%​
I6934​
F​
-​
0.4091​
54%​
18%​
28%​
I6944​
F​
-​
0.3330​
21%​
18%​
61%​
I3352​
M​
R2a2b1b2b​
0.1488​
48%​
15%​
37%​
I7036​
M​
R2​
0.0670​
18%​
14%​
59%​
10%​
I3344​
F​
-​
0.0945​
45%​
11%​
44%​
I3343​
F​
-​
0.2011​
28%​
11%​
61%​
I3402​
M​
H3b​
0.0067​
41%​
11%​
33%​
15%​
I6941​
M​
R2​
0.1235​
8%​
10%​
74%​
8%​
I3342​
M​
H1a1a4b​
0.1230​
29%​
9%​
53%​
10%​
I7035​
F​
-​
0.1260​
20%​
6%​
74%​
I2868​
M​
H1a1b1​
0.2126​
20%​
6%​
74%​
I3407​
M​
H1a1a4b​
0.0880​
15%​
4%​
81%​
I6946​
M​
R1a1a​
0.2905​
100%​
I6942​
M​
R1a1a1b2a1a1a1f~​
0.1593​
100%​

I8726 = Indus periphery sample from Shahr-Sokhta Iran with least AASI (Onge like) component
Irula are Dravidian (also called Irula language) speaking tribals from Tamil nadu
WSHG = Western Siberian Hunter gatherers, samples found in Tyumen and Sosonivoy (Russia)
Mongolia_N = Mongolia North Neolithic samples with east asian ancestry
Tarim_EMBA = Tarim basin samples from the Xiaohe culture 1900BCE
All qpAdm result files can be found here

Irula itself can be modeled as (Rakhigarhi + Onge) or (Darra-i-kur_afghanistan + Onge) with -ve coefficients for Sintashta, or negligible noise level steppe ancestry considering std errors (results in folder link above)

Irula qpadm

On performing statistical analysis on the above data we can say that

1. Irula component is statistically significantly associated with Y hg R1a at 99% confidence interval (independent t-test p value = 0.0000107561) compared to non R1a. Click for report.
  2. Sintashta component is statistically significantly associated with the J2 y HG at 99% confidence interval (independent t-test p value = 0.00595690) compared with non J2. Click for report. This is only possible if Sintashta autosomal ancestry was ultimately incorporated through steppe rich females (as Sintashta male samples are all R1a). A similar result is seen in the Swat valley IA data (Narasimhan et al 2019).
  3. Y Hgs R2 and H are not statistically significantly associated with any component. Low sample size becomes relevant here as null hypothesis could not be rejected like in above 2 cases.
Above is my proof to all those who say and keep saying that there is a very high correlation between Steppe ancestry and R1a in modern Indians. The only proper aDna sampleset we have from India shows exactly the opposite correlation.

On Y-Haplogroup R1a-L657

Y haplogroup can be determined from analyzing the Y chromosome of a male. Non recombining portion of Y chr is passed on only from father to son, and thus paternity can be determined. Once in many generations, one male undergoes one or many mutations in the Y chr (eg C -> T, G->A etc) and thus a subclade is born. This mutated subclade will now pass on through his son.

This is how R-L657 was born from Z93. (Brackets denote ISOGG notation)

R>R1>R1a>R1a1>R1a1a>R1a1a1>R1a1a1b>

> Z93(R1a1a1b2)> Z94(R1a1a1b2a)> Y3(R1a1a1b2a1)> L657(R1a1a1b2a1a)

Sample id I6942 is the only R-L657+ (+ means DERIVED or presence for the particular mutation, - means ANCESTRAL or absence of that mutation) found in ancient DNA so far. R-L657 is that subclade of R1a which is now common in Indian subcontinent and the middle east, but not found in modern Europe or ancient europe/steppe. The ISOGG name for it is R1a1a1b2a1a. Technically, I6942 is + for R-Y5 (R1a1a1b2a1a1a1~) and R-Y928 (R1a1a1b2a1a1a1f~) which implies that it is + for L657 as well.

It is safe to say that R-Y3 & R-L657 and its subclades were born in the Indian subcontinent given its absence in modern and ancient steppe and Europe (except Indian immigrants and the Romanis). I have always maintained that given that the formation and spread of R-Y3 is 2600 bce and R-L657 is 2200 bce respectively (YFull), that their paternal ancestors (Z93 and Z94) were somehow present in Indian subcontinent but without the presence of autosomal steppe ancestry which enters Indian subcontinent only post 1500 bce.

How did R-L657 reach India?
Here, it is worth noting that the oldest Z93 samples have been found in Fatyanovo culture, Russia dating to 2500 bce. So it is likely that this Z93 did enter India around the same time from Russia, however it would not be accompanied by any noticeable change in autosomal ancestry. Autosomal ancestry is that which recombines and is present in chr 1-22, and is passed 50-50% from both parents to child. Steppe autosomal ancestry only enters india post 1500 bce.

The other option of course is that India was the source of R1a to Europe, to prove which we need tonnes of ancient DNA which we don't have. Europe also has ancient samples of ancestors of Z93, like Z645 and M417 and so on, which makes european origin of R1a much more likely. So I will not consider this option yet, although its plausible. There can always be haplogroups which reach multiple places due to some travel savvy ancients :)

This has happened before, we see y hg J2 and J1 (and subclades) from Iran, caucasus and SC asia neolithic in european samples in Karelia_EHG and Austria LBK, Hungary_Sopot without any apparent autosomal ancestry from the source regions. Autosomal ancestry from a parent can dilute to ~0% easily in 7 generations if the sons end up marrying local women (50%>25%>12.5%>6.25%>3.125%>1.5%>~0) ie 150 years.

Some make the argument that the lack of R1a in Shahr Sokhta, BMAC, Turan eneolithic proves that R1a was absent in this region. To which my response is that these regions saw population turnover starting 4th mill bce or even earlier by a population like Tepe Hissar/Seh Gabi to the tune of >60% and a resulting Y HG turnover. This is the reason why west asian Y haplogroups like E1b and G2 appear in the record in the regions adjoining NW India. This turnover never happened in Indian subcontinent as Indians lack this anatolian heavy component. So I don't consider this evidence very strong, more data is needed.

SUMMARY
1. Sintashta component not correlated with R1a in RoopkundA samples, whereas Irula component is.

2. J2a/J2b significantly correlated with higher steppe ancestry in RoopkundA samples, steppe ancestry mediated through females.

3. I discuss possibilities regarding R-L657 reaching India.

With this, I present the results of the L657 poll, I guess it's clear that Indian subcontinent won this one.

R-L657 poll

Also read

Scratching my head! - Criticism of Narsimhan VM et al 2019 - Pt 1

The West/East Divide among Indo-Aryan languages

1 Harney, É., Nayak, A., Patterson, N. et al. Ancient DNA from the skeletons of Roopkund Lake reveals Mediterranean migrants in India. Nat Commun 10, 3670 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-11357-9
That Mongolian component is interesting.
Hunnic related Indians may be 😑

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
Dna analysis of 35 individuals entombed c.3700BCE in two chambers at Hazleton North cairn in England's Cotswolds, shows that 27 of them were close biological relatives. Most of them were descended from 4 women who had all had children with the same man.

One man is more than enough 😅
And if by some cosmic coincidence every offspring turns out male same Y haplogroup among a large group within a generation.

Indo-Aryan

Country flag
And if this male and his offspring sired further offspring through foreign women then within 150 years autosomal ancestry will disappear.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles