Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

abingdonboy

Country flag
Well you yourself mentioned what's the problem; only weight and price are propaganda.

What about rifled gun?
Or the armour around the cupola?
The armour behind the sights?
What about the lack of sufficient APFSDS?

Are these also propaganda?
You realise the rifled gun demand came from the INDIAN ARMY right? Despite having smoothbore Russian MBTs they asked for the Arjun to have rifled guns because of their experience with the older British tanks

yes in 2023 this is one of the biggest issues with the Arjun (not a terminal issue though) and even the British have dropped the idea (challenger 3 will have a smoothbore)

but this and and anything else would’ve been refined out and addressed over time if orders and support were given. Look at leopard, it’s onto the 7th(?) major iteration now? If the IA hadn’t sabotaged Arjun from being inducted and improved the machine with every subsequent batch one can’t even imagine the capabilities it would have today. Instead this hands off deliver or nothing approach followed by token orders kills off any possibility of refinement

Lonewarrior

Country flag
You realise the rifled gun demand came from the INDIAN ARMY right? Despite having smoothbore Russian MBTs they asked for the Arjun to have rifled guns because of their experience with the older British tanks

yes in 2023 this is one of the biggest issues with the Arjun (not a terminal issue though) and even the British have dropped the idea (challenger 3 will have a smoothbore)

but this and and anything else would’ve been refined out and addressed over time if orders and support were given. Look at leopard, it’s onto the 7th(?) major iteration now? If the IA hadn’t sabotaged Arjun from being inducted and improved the machine with every subsequent batch one can’t even imagine the capabilities it would have today. Instead this hands off deliver or nothing approach followed by token orders kills off any possibility of refinement
Fair enough; getting the home country's military to buy your gear can prove to be the 'seed capital' for a defence company. Can't agree more.

But what was stopping OFB/DRDO from submitting this tank to foreign trials? Obviously US or France won't ever buy something like this; but what about Latin America? Or MENA?

These pics are of MKU's products. And a bold statement that if your product has mettle then you will simply sell it to someone else instead of complaining about a your military not buying it.
IMG_20230211_091320.jpg

abingdonboy

Country flag
Fair enough; getting the home country's military to buy your gear can prove to be the 'seed capital' for a defence company. Can't agree more.

But what was stopping OFB/DRDO from submitting this tank to foreign trials? Obviously US or France won't ever buy something like this; but what about Latin America? Or MENA?

These pics are of MKU's products. And a bold statement that if your product has mettle then you will simply sell it to someone else instead of complaining about a your military not buying it.
View attachment 193136
The same situation- such low order volumes (nearly non-existent) mean that the Arjun doesn’t have a chance of being competitive on price or operational performance of tanks churned out in the 100s/1000s. If I remember correctly DRDO said they could nearly half the unit cost of the Arjun if given >500 unit orders.

Also I’m not sure how it works with DRDO, do they actively pursue foreign export orders as a policy independently of government?

besides who wants to buy gear that your home services have rejected. Not just rejected but publicly smeared? How did the ‘world’s worst tank’ tag get applied to Arjun?

it’s not like DRDO can create products that they know the IA won’t induct, their specs all come from what the IA demands, they can’t start tailoring to other countries if the IA wants something else.

long story short, the Arjun is dead and the IA made that so

Blood+

Country flag
I never understood the self loathing pricks and the idiots who perpetuate the myth of Arjun worst, and encourage the mob to shit on the tank unjustifiably.
Perhaps because you lack even the most basic understanding about tank design?? Maybe pick up a book or two instead of relying solely on online propaganda pieces produced by a bunch of clueless mongs.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Perhaps because you lack even the most basic understanding about tank design?? Maybe pick up a book or two instead of relying solely on online propaganda pieces produced by a bunch of clueless mongs.
Arjun's armor layout is not very desirable sure but it's wrong to call it the "worst" tank in service, something that has reached meme status by now, which was the point of that reddit post.
Also STFU, I don't need to hear your lecturing on what to talk about in this forum. Get down from your high pedestal and stop being a prick.

Blood+

Country flag
Arjun's armor layout is not very desirable sure but it's wrong to call it the "worst" tank in service, something that has reached meme status by now, which was the point of that reddit post.
Also STFU, I don't need to hear your lecturing on what to talk about in this forum. Get down from your high pedestal and stop being a prick.
Aww...did I hurt your little ego, poor kitten??!! Anyway, objectively speaking, Arjun is indeed the absolute worst MBT in active service (except the export model T-72s) by almost every quantifiable metrics you can rate an MBT.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Well, I never said it was the bitterest of them all, now did I??
No you did not say it
I agree , never leave crocin in vicinity of a little fat boi who likes to eat new things.
And is attracted by blue color. ( just like I was)

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Aww...did I hurt your little ego, poor kitten??!!
Yes I am very sad now :crying:
Arjun is indeed the absolute worst MBT in active service (except the export model T-72s) by almost every quantifiable metrics you can rate an MBT.
There are some MBTs you could do much worse with. The Vt-1 comes to mind, the T-72B has no blowout panels to speak of and lights up like a Christmas tree in one shot, the Iranian Karrar is a dolled up T-72B.
Yes Arjun's gun mantlet is a liability and a slab of composite to cover it up would be ideal. But looking at our surroundings, the Arjun can't be the worst thing. It has a mid APDS, so does everybody else in the neighborhood. Arjun has arguably the best ballistic computer in the tank fleet and it's armor could reliably tank 125mm APDS at a close range in testing. I count that as more survivable than the Ajeyas atleast.
C'mon it fires Penetration Cum Blast rounds.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
No no crocin is even bitter.
And good God I chewed 2 pills when i was kid.
Those were the most bitter pills to swallow.
No no, there is even more bitter pill available. Bitter than Arjun and Crocin combined.

Only 2% of our tanks have cook-off management system.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
No no, there is even more bitter pill available. Bitter than Arjun and Crocin combined.

Only 2% of our tanks have cook-off management system.
Okay?
We have not given modern helmets to all men.
We are only doing cosmetic modernisation sir
I say this very honestly pray that we never have to fight long and large war.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles