Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Sir, Arjun is project MBT-90 right sir? Means the earlier 40 ton with 105 mm project was MBT-80? Is there anything like MBT-70 in case of India?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have no knowledge regarding prototypes naming within R&D community ..

Sir, Arjun is project MBT-90 right sir? Means the earlier 40 ton with 105 mm project was MBT-80? Is there anything like MBT-70 in case of India?

Vinod DX9

Country flag
And sir, any link from where I can get pics of early Arjun prototypes?

bhramos

Country flag
And sir, any link from where I can get pics of early Arjun prototypes?
sorry bro, that links & artcles are 90's or early 2000, so not working,
if i have any good day & time, i will copy paste all in that info from that page,
i read some info of it,
it starts from MBT-80 in 70's, but could not meet deadline, then gave 10 years of time & name MBT-90 which again could not pass IA trails, finally in 90's it was renamed Arjun MBT.

Akshay_Fenix

Indian Army's tank modification proposals could delay induction by 7 years

NEW DELHI — The Indian Army is seeking major structural and design changes in the homegrown Arjun Mk-2, but the state-owned Defence Research and Development Organization says the "changes" could take up to seven years, causing a delay in the induction schedule.

The service wants DRDO to redesign the hull, the turret structures and use newer material to reduce the tank's weight. The Arjun Mk-2 currently weighs about 68.6 tons, compared to the 62-ton Arjun Mk-1 tank currently in operation with the Army. The Mk-2 version's weight makes it inappropriate for operations in the semi-developed sector of the western front bordering Pakistan where tank battles would take place, according to an Indian Army official.

According to a defense analyst here, the Army "has lost interest in the Arjun Mark-2" after it became disillusioned with the earlier version. "The problem is that the basic structure and profile of the tank being heavy is not acceptable to the Army," said Rahul Bhonsle, who retired from the service as a brigadier.

The Indian Army has inducted 124 Arjun Mk-1 tanks, but several were grounded after requiring spare parts and maintenance. "Nearly 55 percent of the value of Arjun Mark-1 tank is imported components, and there the supplies have dried up."

A DRDO scientist who spoke to Defense News would not comment on the Army's modification proposals, but did say the Arjun Mk-2 is "ready for induction," has a total of 93 upgrades including 13 major improvements and "will fully meet the needs of the Indian Army."

The major changes to the Arjun Mk-2 include an upgrade of the missile-firing capability against long-range targets, panoramic sight with night vision to effectively engage targets at night, containerized ammunition, enhanced main-weapon penetration, additional ammunition types, explosive-reactive armor, an advanced air-defense gun to engage helicopters, a mine plow, an advanced land navigation system and a warning system that can fire smoke grenades to confuse laser guidance.

"Arjun Mark-2, with [a] number of improvements over Arjun Mark-I, is a third-generation tank comparable with others in range and confirmed acceptable after trial and evaluation by users. Hence, there should be no reason for its not being fit for combat," according to Bhupinder Yadav, a defense analyst and retired Indian Army major general.

The Army has about 3,500 tanks made up of T-72 tanks and the newer T-90 tanks.

"All T-72 tanks in service would have lived their life in [the] next 10 years and will require replacement," Yadav said.

To meet future tank needs, analysts tend to agree that India should invest in a new, homemade Future Main Battle Tank, or FMBT, based on lessons learned from the Arjun Mk-1 and Mk-2.

"India, with the experience of the development of two variants, should go on its own, and the new design should have homogeneity with the existing inventory," Yadav offered.

Bhonsle agreed: "India should pursue a single project such as the FMBT with the Army, DRDO and other agencies including foreign research and design developers and private sector joining in a coordinated effort."

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/indian-armys-tank-modification-proposals-could-delay-induction-by-7-years

Close the thread, this beauty will never get inducted in large numbers.

mayfair

Would like to ask IA, can't these modifications go hand in hand with induction? Why is it that these folks can bend over backwards for integrating bug-infested vilaayati maal, but never display the same leniency for our home made stuff.

smestarz

Country flag
Because they would get commission in dollars in their foreign account by ordering vilayati maal
Would like to ask IA, can't these modifications go hand in hand with induction? Why is it that these folks can bend over backwards for integrating bug-infested vilaayati maal, but never display the same leniency for our home made stuff.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
So they asked for additional ERA, mine remover, addition electronics, new APU, RCWS, etc. This all obviously adds weight, now they want a serious weight cut. Wtf, why not say that from the fucking beginning? Is it ironic that when the trials are coming to an end, this comes up?

Degenarate

Country flag
Will MK2 ever get inducted? Army wants more protection but wants the weight to be significantly reduced. Someone has to find the middle ground here. If the weight can be reduced to around 60 by agreeing to let go of structures which are adding to the weight, still we will get a very formidable indigenous MBT. We still operate cold war era junks like T72s and our main tanks T90s are not that top of the line either, I don't know why IA want a desi lightweight super tank. Its not like we are operating T14s and want something similar.

We are such poor learners its not even funny. Look at how the Chinese progressed. They once operated very inferior products but the continued support shown to indigenization has helped their MICs to continuously improve and now they are slowly but surely churning out world class military products.

kunal1123

Country flag
AS FAR I KNOW MK2 IS NOT INDUCTED SO THEY ARE GOING TO USE MK1, IF THEY ARE GOING TO USE..?

porky_kicker

Country flag
model of arjun mk2 on display

plz note the sensor on the left hand side of the frontal turret.
it caught my attention and i have expanded and circled it in the pic for clarity

previously it sported a flat panel with a single circular window at the corner covered by a composite shell as shown in the pic below.

now it has been replaced by a considerably reduced in dimensions cube type box with 4 circular windows (optical sensors/lenses )

i have not seen a device/system with 4 circular optical sensor/lenses (?) in any MBT before .

chances are
1.it is a IRCM system ie soft kill system
2.it is a laser guidance system for CLGM
3.best feasible option it is a combination of the above two (best possible explanation for 4 optical sensors/lenses in a single system)

and importantly it looks to be a home grown solution with both offensive and defensive roles :devil::devil::devil:
(provided the model depictions are correct)

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles