AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

MirageBlue

Country flag
From Janes

India approves fifth gen AMCA fighter project

Development of India's Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) fifth-generation fighter aircraft programme is expected to accelerate in 2024 following New Delhi's approval of the design and prototype programme, according to a project official.

The official, a member of India's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), confirmed to Janes that the Indian government's Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) approved the project on 7 March. The approval allows funding of up to INR150 trillion (USD1.8 billion) to be disbursed to the programme.

The ADA, which is a lab of India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has been developing the AMCA since 2008.

The prototypes will be manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). Janes understands that the ADA/HAL project team will initiate activities for the prototyping of the aircraft.

“With the approval of the programme, multiple activities will start simultaneously to support prototype development,” the official told Janes on 9 March. “Our objective is to produce five prototypes within four-and-a-half years and five years, by 2028–2029. That is our timeline.”

Consequently, the source said that all initial development-related activities have priority. “We expect 2024 to be a hectic year for prototyping activities,” the official added. “HAL could start metal cutting for the prototypes in six months. Other activities such as setting up the jigs and assembly line will also start. We will also start the process of setting up the supply chain for the programme.”
Confirms that prototype building activities will now start with the beginning of disbursement of upto $1.5 billion in funds. This will allow the construction of 5 prototypes within 4.5-5 years, by 2028-2029.

spacemarine2023

Country flag

tsunami

Country flag
Ok then we should plan for AMCA v3 where it can carry heavier payloads as a bomber or something like that.
Bombers are not worth the effort and money. Big bombers are only useful for long range operations.
For bomb truck role you can afford and maintain 100s of drone for just a squadron of Bombers. Drones are perfect for this role to be Bomb or missile truck of future. Role of fighter aircraft too will reduce over time.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Ok then we should plan for AMCA v3 where it can carry heavier payloads as a bomber or something like that.
Bombers are out of question the Air force chief himself has said it's an old tech we don't want it it's only feasable when you have shit ton of money lying around like the US so our focus needs to be on AMCA and Ghatak

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Still the gestation period is a very long one. We need an early start.
su30 does the job
Su 30 can carry 8 bombs at once weighing 540kg.. 28x 268kg bombs, 32x 120kg bombs 3x 1500kg bombs
images (1) (3).jpeg

It does the all job of a bomber...
With super Sukhoi upgrade its a2g capabilities will boost even more I guess..
This are the a2g armaments of su30.
8 × KAB-500L laser-guided bombs
3 × KAB-1500L laser-guided bombs
3 × Sudarshan laser-guided bombs
8 × FAB-500T bombs
28 × OFAB-250-270 bombs
32 × OFAB-100-120 bombs
Spice 2000 bombs
8 × RBK-500 cluster bombs
20 × DRDO SAAW glide bombs
3 × DRDO Glide Bombs
Nirbhay
Brahmos,brahmos NG.
Rudram series.
Su30 has modern weapon guidance pod..
images (1) (4).jpeg

Self guided bombs like spice 2000 kit & Saaw soon.. I don't think we need amca to be a bomber. It can bomb as it can carry 2xbombs internally.. like f35..
My concern is it carry only 4air to air missile which is too less.. even next block of f35 will have 6 amrams stored internally..
The wing span of astra mk1&2 is too big.
I hope it will accomodate 6 astra mk3s..

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag
I have a question, why india is not considering Snecma M88 this jet engine have supercruise which GE 414 lacks??
Because Tejas mk2 is having it. It will reduce maintainance & spares costs as we will be manufacturing it in big numbers.. having different engines increases logistical cost.
That's why tedbf will also have f414.
4 aircrafts will have one common engine. The spare cost in long term will reduce very significantly ,economies of scale . It will be cheap to operate.

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Yet another disappointment.
Our all assumptions of amca taking off in 2027 or before 2027 were stupid. Even many components are already ready still it won't takeoff early. Project director has said prototype will roll out in December 2027, first flight in September 2028.
Our system is very very slow.. first they said first prototype will roll out with in first 3 years after funding is approved. They are taking whole 4 years and then 7 months for first takeoff..amca mk1 will be inducted in 2034 or 2035,, forget about amca mk2.

Tejas will not be delivered in March either it will be delivered in April bc 2 month delay I think seriously something isn't ready and it will take even more time...

Last edited:

stat231

Country flag
Our all assumptions of amca taking off in 2027 or before 2027 were stupid. Even many components are already ready still it won't takeoff early. Project director has said prototype will roll out in December 2027, first flight in September 2028.
Our system is very very slow.. first they said first prototype will roll out with in first 3 years after funding is approved. They are taking whole 4 years and then 7 months for first takeoff..amca mk1 will be inducted in 2033 or 2034,, forget about amca mk2.

Tejas will not be delivered in March either it will be delivered in April bc 2 month delay I think seriously something isn't ready and it will take even more time...
Where has the project director said that? can you send the link

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Comon idrw is not a source
Anyway 2027 rollout and 2028 ff is logical
Coz 3 years from clearance
Idrw just stating obvious
Okay the only source I find claiming this is idrw and indian defence upd. Quoted him.
I don't know it is true or not but why did only idrw claim such things

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Our system is very very slow.. first they said first prototype will roll out with in first 3 years after funding is approved. They are taking whole 4 years and then 7 months for first takeoff..amca mk1 will be inducted in 2034 or 2035,, forget about amca mk2.

let me make it clear guys the amca news seems fake only idrw has claimed it no body else has said as such..
1st amca prot. will roll out in 2026 or before 2027..

jai jaganath

Country flag
let me make it clear guys the amca news seems fake only idrw has claimed it no body else has said as such..
1st amca prot. will roll out in 2026 or before 2027..
Bro it will be on 2027
3 years after clearance
No matter what soon u will hear it from officials
But idrw is not a trusted source
And basically they are stating the obvious

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Bro it will be on 2027
3 years after clearance
No matter what soon u will hear it from officials
But idrw is not a trusted source
And basically they are stating the obvious
They said 3 years after funding I'm just saying 2024,2025, 2026 ho gye na 3 saal.(2months less)
And many components are already ready this timeline will reduce alot ...

Btw idrw published such thing intentionally or they just post wrong shieet coz of lack of knowledge or anything else..

jai jaganath

Country flag
They said 3 years after funding I'm just saying 2024,2025, 2026 ho gye na 3 saal.(2months less)
And many components are already ready this timeline will reduce alot ...

Btw idrw published such thing intentionally or they just post wrong shieet coz of lack of knowledge or anything else..
Jo apko sahi Lage ap woh samjho
I can only assume 2027 mid roll out
It's not that many components are already made
Things doesn't move like that
After approval and funds being released u will issue tenders for parts and LRUs which will take 3 years after contract signing to deliver
It's just like for example just for example don't go for deep logic just for understanding
Suppose u have made the steel frame of car but due to funds being released now and u order the engine which will take 3 years to deliver so there is no use even if u have made frame before funding u have to wait for the engine to arrive
I know example is stupid coz right now only that can come to my mind
But bhavnao ko samjho
Similarly aircrafts have many such critical LRUs which will be delivered after 3 years then integration even if ur majority of aircraft is ready but if critical LRUs aren't present u can't conduct ops

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Jo apko sahi Lage ap woh samjho
I can only assume 2027 mid roll out
It's not that many components are already made
Things doesn't move like that
After approval and funds being released u will issue tenders for parts and LRUs which will take 3 years after contract signing to deliver
It's just like for example just for example don't go for deep logic just for understanding
Suppose u have made the steel frame of car but due to funds being released now and u order the engine which will take 3 years to deliver so there is no use even if u have made frame before funding u have to wait for the engine to arrive
I know example is stupid coz right now only that can come to my mind
But bhavnao ko samjho
Similarly aircrafts have many such critical LRUs which will be delivered after 3 years then integration even if ur majority of aircraft is ready but if critical LRUs aren't present u can't conduct ops
Buddy you are all right but not all components take 3 year and I'm not saying that only frame or incase if you're referring to bulk head is made.. there are reports, many vendors have began making components by themselves..they all understand the importance of amca being Fast tracked. They are the biggest beneficiaries.

amca will roll out in 2026,, u will see it..
:india2:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles