Agni V Missile

Broccoli

regarding road mobility I would prefer this

but maybe we will be getting something like this...

like the chinese...

:okay:
Chinese already have rigid TEL's for DF-31 series missiles.

DF-31A

DF-??

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Agni IV and V to be inducted in two years

Published July 8, 2013 | By admin
SOURCE: SP's Special Correspondent

In a first for India's strategic deterrent programme, the DRDO will be working hard to test, operationalise and induct the Agni-IV and Agni-V in to service within the next 24 months. Never before have two missiles with a combined range in excess of 10,000 km been slated for entry into service together with the country's Strategic Forces Command. The SFC's land-based deterrent currently includes the Agni-I, II and III, accounting for ranges between 750-3,500 km.

With the entry of the Agni-IV and V, India will have missiles with ranges out to 7,000 km, covering the country's deterrence needs from a land perspective for the first time. The Agni-IV, with a range of 4,000 km has been tested twice (in 2011 and 2012), while the Agni V, with a range in excess of 7,000 km has been tested once, in April 2012. A second test of the Agni-V is expected this year. The next phase of development, which may include an extended-range Agni-V (unofficially the Agni-VI), will include manoeuvering warheads, decoy-warhead permutation configurations and MIRV.

Agni IV and V to be inducted in two years | idrw.org

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
India Planning Two Agni-V Test Firings This Year
Published July 19, 2013 | By admin
Source: Aerospace Daily & Defense Report

India's Agni-V ballistic missile will be tested twice this year before being inducted into the country's armed forces toward the end of 2014.The Agni-V, an intercontinental ballistic missile designed to hit targets at distances of up to 5,000 km (3,100 mi.), was test-fired in April 2012.

This year India's Defense and Research Development Organization (DRDO) will carry out two more tests, "the first most likely in September, which would be followed by a second test at the end of the year," a DRDO official tells Aviation Week. "These are among DRDO's high-priority missions. Our aim is to make the missile ready for induction by 2014."

The second test will be carried out from a tightly sealed canister mounted on a launcher truck, the DRDO official says.

A canister-launch system will "provide the forces the requisite operational flexibility to swiftly transport the ballistic missile and launch it from a place of their choosing," he explains.

The missile was initially planned to be tested in May, but was delayed due to heavy rains.

"The trials are usually avoided when sea is rough and weather is not conducive," the DRDO official says. "We conduct thousands of tests through simulation in our labs under different conditions. The actual flight trials are to confirm what is predicted in simulation tests matches the algorithms."

A nuclear-tipped, three-stage missile, the Agni-V was developed by DRDO at a cost of more than 2.5 billion rupees ($48.4 million).

It is 17.5 meters (57 ft.) tall with a launch weight of 50 tons. The missile is powered by solid propellants and can be transported by road.

The successful 2012 test of the missile brought India closer to joining the small group of nations — including the U.S., China, Russia, the U.K. and France — with the capability to deploy intercontinental ballistic missiles.

India is also developing the sixth in its series of Agni ballistic missiles that will be capable of carrying multiple warheads. While Agni-V can carry up to three nuclear warheads, Agni-VI will carry up to 10.

India has said its missile program is not directed against any country.

Agni, meaning fire in Hindi and Sanskrit, is a rocket family India has tested since 2002.

In 2010, India successfully test-fired Agni-II, an intermediate-range ballistic missile with a range of more than 2,000 km (1,250 mi.).

India Planning Two Agni-V Test Firings This Year | idrw.org
I wonder what Pakistan will test as a reply of this :lol:

Broccoli

Who's behind those claims of 10 warheads? I remember before Agni V launch people claimed it could carry up 10 RV's (not very realistic), but now everyone has lowered the number to 3 RV's and I assume same will happen with Agni-VI payload capability claims.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Who's behind those claims of 10 warheads? I remember before Agni V launch people claimed it could carry up 10 RV's (not very realistic), but now everyone has lowered the number to 3 RV's and I assume same will happen with Agni-VI payload capability claims.
we dont know what DRDO/MoD have it in their mind...

Abhi9

Country flag
These are national strategic secrets which are not revealed. Its for the security of the nation and enemies guessing. Anybody can make a guess that India has 90-100 nuclear bombs or these many missiles but the matter of fact is the true number will never be known. We don't even how the members of Strategic force command are chosen. Everyone keeps guessing or making their own hypothesis but true number will never be known.

Who knows that INS Arihant may be already be mated with SLBM or its nuclear reactor is critical already or what are the real capabilities and the answer is " We will never know".

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
this is what was discussed at aero India

some of the concepts by Arun sir,

present plan is to first get A5 operational then go for multiple maneuvering reentry vehicle.

Broccoli

this is what was discussed at aero India
I noticed that official drawing shows 3 RV's while the fanboy art shows 10 even for Agni III and i'm quite sure that official drawings are more accurate when it comes RV size. From the official drawing it looks like India's larger missiles are going to haul three RV's instead of ten, and since India has not tested that many weapons they are probably going to modernized version of the current fission weapons.

Last edited:

trackwhack

I noticed that official drawing shows 3 RV's while the fanboy art shows 10 even for Agni III and i'm quite sure that official drawings are more accurate when it comes RV size. From the official drawing it looks like India's larger missiles are going to haul three RV's instead of ten, and since India has not tested that many weapons they are probably going to modernized version of the current fission weapons.
Yes correct fission. That's why the 1 tonne plus payload specs on every missile. Or maybe they are just future proofing.

Experts!:frusty:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
it would be natural progression after 3 RVs. Or in other words next step.

Broccoli

Yes correct fission. That's why the 1 tonne plus payload specs on every missile. Or maybe they are just future proofing.

Experts!:frusty:
I would assume that instead developing smaller size warheads (probably requires testing) they are most likely going to do more research on decoys, chaff and MaRV technologies like Chinese are doing. RV's are heavy and decoys are light. If India seeks only deterrence then MIRVs are not all that necessary... India deploying MIRVs will most likely cause China to do same and then there is a lot more warheads pointing at India than there were before.

China has advanced countermeasures programs, comparable in the assessment of the US intelligence community to those in Russia. A 1995 BMDO
Study suggested several Chinese countermeasures, including electronic countermeasures, decoys and radar cross"section reduction. China presumably has the capability to deploy all of the "readily available" technologies for simple countermeasures available to states like Iran and North Korea, including "separating
re"entry vehicles, spin stabilized RVs, RV reorientation, radar"absorbing material, booster fragmentation, low"powered jammers, chafe, simple or balloon decoys."

Most Chinese ballistic missiles have either been deployed or tested with one or more penetration aids: CSS"4 RV was reportedly designed with electronic countermeasures and light exoatmospheric decoys. The intelligence community expects the Chinese to develop "improved penetration packages for its ICBMs.

"¢ CSS"5 RV flight tests in November 1995 and January 1996 each included "two probably endoatmospheric reentry decoys"¦designed to survive harsh atmospheric reentry conditions, and to simulate characteristics of the actual RV."

"¢ CSS"X"10 RV apparently employs "similar decoys and other types of penetration aids." An August 1999 CSS"X"10 flight test reportedly included an unknown number of decoys, although this is unconfirmed.

Apart from decoys visible in ballistic missile flight tests, the US intelligence community seems to have little information about the precise type of Chinese
penetration aids. The precise nature of the penetration package appears to vary by ballistic missile, depending on target and missile defense threats, if any.
Page 189.
http://www.cissm.umd.edu/papers/files/the_minimum_means_of_reprisal.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
In a nuclear exchange, offense is the best form of self defence.

wild goose

Agni V to be operational by 2015

With two or three more successful test firings, the Agni V missile is expected to be operational by 2015, said Tessy Thomas, director, Agni Missile Project, Defence Research and Development Organisation, here on Friday.

Interacting with the media after inaugurating a national conference on 'Systems, Energy and Environment,' organised by the Government College of Engineering at Mangattuparamba, Ms. Thomas said this ambitious project can carry multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles which can deliver multiple warheads at different targets.

Affirming that India is self-reliant in missile technology, Ms. Thomas said the country had made a quantum leap in the field.

Agni V is one of the biggest achievements of the country and this is being further improved upon. As per earlier calculations, the intercontinental ballistic missile had a range of 5,000 km, but according to the observations made by neighbouring countries, it has a range of 7,000 km, a statement which underlines the strength and potential of the missile.

She observed that missile technology is used as a weapon of peace.

Acknowledging that more than 2,000 institutions and industry players are associated with the DRDO for the project, Ms. Thomas said the Agni series is of global standards, while Agni IV and V belong to a new class of technology.

Speaking on female representation in the area of missile technology, Ms. Thomas said the zone, generally considered a male bastion, is opening to change. When she joined the DRDO in the eighties, the scenario was different as there were not many engineering colleges. With more colleges, more people are approaching the field, including women, she added.

Agni V to be operational by 2015 - The Hindu

Bheeshma

A-4 and A-5 along with sea based K-4 and K-5 will be out IRBM and ICBM of the future. Shaurya and K-15 will nicely take over from A-1 to fill MRBM role.

Bheeshma

Shaurya range is 900-1500 km depending on payload. It is not meant to fit between anything. Brahmos which we will have in few 1000's will replace prithvi and Prahhar will take overthe Prithvi-I.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles