Agni V Missile

no smoking

Country flag
why on earth would ASAT missile be short range, it will be at least have range to reach satellite target to be ASAT. First make your fundamentals clear then post it.
No, the range here is the horizontal circle within which defense missile will be able to shoot down the satellite, not the altitude. Generally, the kinetic kill vehicle has a limited effective killing ranger based on the speed and the fuel. The vehicle will space waste if it fails to catch the satellite before running out of its power. So, the missile can’t shoot too early or too late, it has to make sure when it reach the target orbit, the satellite is still within this range. Besides the improvement of the vehicle engine, another way to enlarge the range is: greater burn out speed. Obviously, the better accelerating capacity, the faster the burn out speed could be.

Jameson Emoni

No, the range here is the horizontal circle within which defense missile will be able to shoot down the satellite, not the altitude. Generally, the kinetic kill vehicle has a limited effective killing ranger based on the speed and the fuel. The vehicle will space waste if it fails to catch the satellite before running out of its power. So, the missile can’t shoot too early or too late, it has to make sure when it reach the target orbit, the satellite is still within this range. Besides the improvement of the vehicle engine, another way to enlarge the range is: greater burn out speed. Obviously, the better accelerating capacity, the faster the burn out speed could be.
Instead of trying to convince us, why don't you try to convince your own government that A5 is harmless!

---

India’s test this week of a long range intercontinental ballistic missile with the capability of hitting China’s eastern coastal cities constitutes a threat to regional security, a China’s state-owned newspaper has declared, calling for increased Chinese presence in the Indian Ocean to counter its regional rival.

http://time.com/5109261/india-china-agni-5-missile-test/

Chinmoy

Country flag
Someone over here was jumping around with a straw in hand that why India doesn't tests its missiles numerous times like other nations. Now for those, let me present something from Dr Kalam...

And there was this ‘deafening’ silence on the Agni front. Usually every country tests its missile 10 to 15 times before productionising it and inducting it. And here, after three tests, there was no news of Agni.

Added to these were reports in the US media that the Clinton administration was putting pressure on Gujral to give up the missile programme.

We asked the defence ministry. With no satisfactory explanation coming from them about why there were no further missile tests, some of us put two and two together. Yes, India was capping the Agni programme under US pressure. And we started writing speculative reports and articles.

One afternoon, some of us got a call from Swagata Ghosh, the amiable defence information director, for drinks and chat at the Battle Honours Mess. “Just a few selected friends; don’t spread the word.”

The evening was beginning to ‘warm up’ when there walked in A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, then the DRDO chief, with a puckish smile and a glass of fruit juice in his hand.

“Look,” he said earnestly after a few minutes of leg-pulling over our off-the-mark reports, “I always knew I couldn’t afford several tests of my missile. Every time I test, I am burning up costly hardware which I can’t afford. So I had packed more than 600 parameters in three tests. My missile is ready.”

Then why don’t you productionise it? We asked.

“Look, what should be the warhead of a weapon like this? Why should I send a few tonnes of TNT over 1,500km? This weapon’s payload has to be nuclear,” he explained. “But I don’t have it. It’s for the cabinet to decide when to have the nuclear warhead. Till they decide, I have nothing more to do with the missile.”
https://www.theweek.in/theweek/cover/Abdul-Kalam-and-the-media.html

Now 600 parameters in 3 test. Tell this to any nincompoop, they would jump on it by citing how this is not possible since no one did this anywhere.

Second, 1500 km range missile............... This was reported back in 97 when India was developing A2. So much for 2500km range of A2 in design phase as per experts here.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Someone over here was jumping around with a straw in hand that why India doesn't tests its missiles numerous times like other nations. Now for those, let me present something from Dr Kalam...

https://www.theweek.in/theweek/cover/Abdul-Kalam-and-the-media.html

Now 600 parameters in 3 test. Tell this to any nincompoop, they would jump on it by citing how this is not possible since no one did this anywhere.

Second, 1500 km range missile............... This was reported back in 97 when India was developing A2. So much for 2500km range of A2 in design phase as per experts here.
Almost all missiles of India are downplayed by 40-50% in range. I am unsure as to why this is being done. For example, Sagarika (K15) missile has 10 metre length and diametere 0.74meter, total volume of 17.2m^3 for a range of 750 km while the range of Agni-1 is 900km for volume of 47.1m^3 with 15 meter length and diameter of 1 meter! Even if we say that the missile is single stage and hence less range, the difference in range to too massive to ignore. Agni 2 missile has dimension 21mx1.3m, volume of 111.5 m^3 and range is 2500km while Agni 3 has 213m^3 volume with dimensions 17x2m and the range is 3500km! Agni-5 has volume of 220m^3 and has 3 stages with dimensions of 17.5x2m and range is 5500km!

Indian Agni-1 itself is 1500km range and that is the reason it has 15 metre length and 1 metre diameter and weighs 12tons. The Sagarika missile has much smaller size of 6 tons and yet travels 750km.

no smoking

Country flag
Well, what he said was that he CAN'T AFFORD more tests, not that he doesn't need or want.

Wow, 600 parameters!!!
Wait, 600 parameters??? That can't be true. Considering each missile has thousands components, it is a too damn small database.

Obviously, he is talking about Agni-TD here, which was built based on the first stage of mature booster (civilian rocket) and second stage from Prithivi. Based on this, it is understandable he can claim that missile was ready with only 600 parameters.

no smoking

Country flag
Almost all missiles of India are downplayed by 40-50% in range. I am unsure as to why this is being done. For example, Sagarika (K15) missile has 10 metre length and diametere 0.74meter, total volume of 17.2m^3 for a range of 750 km while the range of Agni-1 is 900km for volume of 47.1m^3 with 15 meter length and diameter of 1 meter! Even if we say that the missile is single stage and hence less range, the difference in range to too massive to ignore. Agni 2 missile has dimension 21mx1.3m, volume of 111.5 m^3 and range is 2500km while Agni 3 has 213m^3 volume with dimensions 17x2m and the range is 3500km! Agni-5 has volume of 220m^3 and has 3 stages with dimensions of 17.5x2m and range is 5500km!

Indian Agni-1 itself is 1500km range and that is the reason it has 15 metre length and 1 metre diameter and weighs 12tons. The Sagarika missile has much smaller size of 6 tons and yet travels 750km.
You just never stop amusing us: it is first time I see someone to analyse the missile range purely by volume of body, well done boy

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Well, what he said was that he CAN'T AFFORD more tests, not that he doesn't need or want.

Wow, 600 parameters!!!
Wait, 600 parameters??? That can't be true. Considering each missile has thousands components, it is a too damn small database.

Obviously, he is talking about Agni-TD here, which was built based on the first stage of mature booster (civilian rocket) and second stage from Prithivi. Based on this, it is understandable he can claim that missile was ready with only 600 parameters.
Civilian rocket and prithvi is liquid fuel and not the first stage of Agni which was always meant to be solid fuel missile

no smoking

Country flag
Civilian rocket and prithvi is liquid fuel and not the first stage of Agni which was always meant to be solid fuel missile
1. The first stage was the SLV-3 booster which was solid, only second stage was liquid engine from prithivi missile. The reason to use liquid up stage is that it provide higher accuracy than solid engine;

2.The Agni-TD was a tech demonstrator only to verify the tech of RV, so it is no surprise that this rocket used mature but old rocket techs;

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets/Specials/Agni/index.htm

3. Unlike other countries, India's space industry was started from civilian usage, that make it easier to import foreign technologies, save time and money.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
Almost all missiles of India are downplayed by 40-50% in range.
Ok, I strongly suggest you to stop this kind of fanboy thinking.

Firstly, weapon system is not developed for the purpose of R&D but war. You have to deploy it, use it and train your people around it. The range of missile is one of important factors to allocate the mission to this kind missile, who will be armed with them, what is the commanding structure, where is the launching position and where is deployment site, what is the operation instruction. All these are carefully calculated and organised, can’t be messed. As soon as the missile enters the service, other countries will find out the difference if you really downplay. So, it is simply wasting time and won’t achieve anything but chaos to your forces.

Secondly, missile range is generally decided by the engine, payload. Since modern missiles are with solid engines, you can’t switch it off at will. Once it starts, it won’t stop until burn off. So, by watching your engine burning time, altitude, trajectory, after watching couple of tests, other countries can easily find out what is the real range. If you want to downplay the range by adding payload, you are screwing up your own missile test without achieving anything because most of the parameters collected will be twisted and useless.

TheVarun

Repetitive and pointless discussion. Indians will know the true range, with different payloads. Indians don't like to be or sound, overly jingoistic particularly at the level of government. If other countries also know the maximum range of Prithvi-1 or Agni-2, good for them.

lcafanboy

Country flag
So, by watching your engine burning time, altitude, trajectory, after watching couple of tests, other countries can easily find out what is the real range
Tell this to Chinese government which is crying after Agni 5 test that it's range is 8000kms and not 5000kms as claimed by India. And india is delibrately downplaying the range of Agni 5. Please convince them they are shocked.....

Jameson Emoni

Tell this to Chinese government which is crying after Agni 5 test that it's range is 8000kms and not 5000kms as claimed by India. And india is delibrately downplaying the range of Agni 5. Please convince them they are shocked.....
I want to know what this no smoking dude is smoking :)

He is contradicting CCP. This I think is a blasphemy.

cannonfodder

Country flag
+100 :laugh: .... 30 char rule

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
altitude, trajectory
You mentioned them yourself.:bplease: Varying these two parameters can vary the range of missile by huge margins. Many times media has quoted that a test was carried out in depressed trajectory. Which means missile wasnt tested to maximum range but of course other parameters like engine, cep etc can be tested in limited range too. Its quite easy to downplay the actual range of missile by launching it in such a way that maximum range isnt covered in tests.

tsunami

Country flag
Any update about Agni 6?? Or any other follow up missile of Agni 5?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles