Aero India 2023

abingdonboy

Country flag
With an ever depleting and utterly obsolete Sea King fleet and only 24 MH60 ordered the IN should surely be the ones desperate to push this along but news on IMRH/DBMRH front has been quiet for years now

how many IDDM projects are being stalled right now because of a lack of CCS sanction? Utterly criminal behaviour

abingdonboy

Country flag
Any way to fold those wheels up? The wheels sticking out detracts from the overall beauty of these helicopters.
To what end? Does LCH have to be a sleek high speed machine? As it is it’s the fastest (along with Apache and Chinook) helicopters in the IAF’s inventory.

besides fixed LG like that offer more crash protection/survivability which I would take any day over a few more KMPH if top Speed or ‘nicer’ aesthetics

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Any way to fold those wheels up? The wheels sticking out detracts from the overall beauty of these helicopters.
More than the form factor, fixed landing gear designs don't need hydraulics and the correspondent systems to fold and stow the landing gear. What do we achieve by doing this?

Weight reduction. The parasitic drag caused by these landing gears is negligible. So, easy and no frills.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
To what end? Does LCH have to be a sleek high speed machine? As it is it’s the fastest (along with Apache and Chinook) helicopters in the IAF’s inventory.

besides fixed LG like that offer more crash protection/survivability which I would take any day over a few more KMPH if top Speed or ‘nicer’ aesthetics
Skids offer more crash survivability than hydraulic or pneumatic or combined apparatus.

As you would notice, light class aircraft often are designed with skid type landing gear. That saves weight and allows the helicopter to land in unprepared areas, more so for military type.

The larger the aircraft, design philosophy tends towards wheel type landing gear.

Uses - towing becomes easy, taxiing from their bays on wheels is easy for heavy helicopters rather than air taxiing. The downwash may topple any other helicopters parked in adjacent bays. If a heavy helicopter is to do air taxy, the dispersal area should be bigger and space between parking bays will have to be increased.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
HBJ for Su-30MKI. It will be a a replacement for SAP-518.

FozyVkfacAEKTOE.jpeg

What is depressing is the absence of an internal RF jammer suite on the lines of D-29 on MiG-29UPG.

FozzQeNaMAAbzfU.jpeg

The right Aden cannon has been ditched to make way for the cooling lru of the internal RWJ.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles