Aero India 2023

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
I know all pics are kinda scuffed, but they had put these ribbon/belt barrier thingies in many places on the public entry days. So I was not able to go near and get neat pics of most posters and some were in awkward angles and also either some people or some things were blocking these at times. So forgive me for the bad quality.

Fatalis

Country flag
I know all pics are kinda scuffed, but they had put these ribbon/belt barrier thingies in many places on the public entry days. So I was not able to go near and get neat pics of most posters and some were in awkward angles and also either some people or some things were blocking these at times. So forgive me for the bad quality.
Great work.

You went out of your way and clicked the pics and then shared it here. It must have been a tedious task for you. But thank you so much for sharing all of this here.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
And I was able to speak to some people regarding a few projects. I know many are wondering about TEDBF's new nose cone. I had a chance to speak with someone from the Teddy team and he told me that the chine and the shoulder like structure at canard roots on the earlier configuration was causing some issues at high alphas. So they are now going with the new rounded nose instead of the old one. I don't know if anyone else had clarified the same before me, but if not, then this could be a DFI exclusive :).

All the other conversations I had were about things that are already known to most of us. But will list them out here anyway:

On tejas mk II, I had some doubts of my own, and luckily I got a chance to talk to Dr. Madhusudana Rao himself. Since recently we have been seeing models of tejas mk 2 with only fixed refueling probe, I had a doubt if ADA had made a decision to move ahead with fixed one itself on all prototypes and production models instead of making only the first one fixed and the rest retractable. So I asked him about this and he confirmed that nothing has changed. They are planning to go with fixed probe on first protoype and all later ones will have retractable probes. They just want to take some time to figure out how to use the internal volume properly/optimally to house the probe.

Alsoo I tried to get an idea of what kind of slow speed performance we can expect from mk2. He confirmed that with all the changes, especially with the canards, it will be "significantly lowered" from the current ~120 knots of mk 1, and somewhere above 100 knots can be expected. Didn't get any exact number.

Also, as many would know already, the vivaldi antennae we were seeing in brochures and all will be going on the advanced self protection jammers and also the integral electronic warfare system of mk2. Both would be GaN based too.

I saw someone asking about that adani mockup of an ICV named "Virabhadra" or something like that(don't remember the exact name) in some thread. Its just a mockup to display the electro-optical sensors mounted on it. Nothing more.

Also wanted to ask someone about the HLFT 42 cokckpit and canopy configuration. Most(if not all, I guess) trainers' cockpits have a stooping kinda canopy with the instructor sitting slightly higher with a good view of what the trainee is doing and also a good front view. But HLFT 42 isn't like that since its design being directly taken from marut. So just wanted to ask someone if they are going to go ahead with the same. But the entire place was closed off with those barrier thingies I mentioned in the earlier post and they were all busy showing and explaining about the model to some "elites". So I couldn't ask them about this one.

That's all I can remember now. If I remember anything else, will post it here.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Also, if some are not clear, that's because I had to zoom in from a distance on to the posters with my shitty phone camera because of those ribbon barriers. So once again, apologies for that.
And I have shared everything that I clicked. So, if you wanted the posters of something else, I am sorry, don't have anything else with me.

Gyyan

Country flag
Also, if some are not clear, that's because I had to zoom in from a distance on to the posters with my shitty phone camera because of those ribbon barriers. So once again, apologies for that.
And I have shared everything that I clicked. So, if you wanted the posters of something else, I am sorry, don't have anything else with me.
IMG_20230219_132103.png

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
And I was able to speak to some people regarding a few projects. I know many are wondering about TEDBF's new nose cone. I had a chance to speak with someone from the Teddy team and he told me that the chine and the shoulder like structure at canard roots on the earlier configuration was causing some issues at high alphas. So they are now going with the new rounded nose instead of the old one. I don't know if anyone else had clarified the same before me, but if not, then this could be a DFI exclusive :).

All the other conversations I had were about things that are already known to most of us. But will list them out here anyway:

On tejas mk II, I had some doubts of my own, and luckily I got a chance to talk to Dr. Madhusudana Rao himself. Since recently we have been seeing models of tejas mk 2 with only fixed refueling probe, I had a doubt if ADA had made a decision to move ahead with fixed one itself on all prototypes and production models instead of making only the first one fixed and the rest retractable. So I asked him about this and he confirmed that nothing has changed. They are planning to go with fixed probe on first protoype and all later ones will have retractable probes. They just want to take some time to figure out how to use the internal volume properly/optimally to house the probe.

Alsoo I tried to get an idea of what kind of slow speed performance we can expect from mk2. He confirmed that with all the changes, especially with the canards, it will be "significantly lowered" from the current ~120 knots of mk 1, and somewhere above 100 knots can be expected. Didn't get any exact number.

Also, as many would know already, the vivaldi antennae we were seeing in brochures and all will be going on the advanced self protection jammers and also the integral electronic warfare system of mk2. Both would be GaN based too.

I saw someone asking about that adani mockup of an ICV named "Virabhadra" or something like that(don't remember the exact name) in some thread. Its just a mockup to display the electro-optical sensors mounted on it. Nothing more.

Also wanted to ask someone about the HLFT 42 cokckpit and canopy configuration. Most(if not all, I guess) trainers' cockpits have a stooping kinda canopy with the instructor sitting slightly higher with a good view of what the trainee is doing and also a good front view. But HLFT 42 isn't like that since its design being directly taken from marut. So just wanted to ask someone if they are going to go ahead with the same. But the entire place was closed off with those barrier thingies I mentioned in the earlier post and they were all busy showing and explaining about the model to some "elites". So I couldn't ask them about this one.

That's all I can remember now. If I remember anything else, will post it here.
On a lighter note, let me also share a few funny moments from the show.
When I was going near the stall where the jammers and vivaldi antennae details were displayed, there was a guy already there arguing about something with the person who was manning the stall. Apparently, he had read the name "advanced self protection jammer" and thought that the pod would jam the aircraft carrying it itself. He was arguing like...."I have heard about US Growler jets. But they jam the enemy aircrafts. Why doesn't this work like that...." and the person there had a really hard time trying to convince him this pod also works like that. That went on for some time and I just waited till he was done.

Another one was when some aunty said "Aree...ye dekho, chotta vala....chotta vala helicopter...." pointing at the IMRH model. My hindi isn't that great, but I could definitely make out this much from what she said. :)

AnantS

Country flag
onyx M has 800 km range. P-800 M. Who knows we are contracting for same improved version?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles