2012 US Presidential Elections

Who would you vote for, if you were a US citizen ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Re: US Presidential Debate

I agree. When I was watching in the morning, it felt like Romney was much more confident and much more forceful than Obama.
President Obama was behaving like a teacher/professor trying to tick off the mistakes of his student. The zing was missing.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

The funniest point was when Romney told the moderator, his ass is on line because of the budget cuts

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

Obama is a Teleprompter president. He will obviously have problems while debating unless he is prepped thoroughly. He had lot of time to do that when he was not president but now he doesn't have time due to him being a president. So, obviously he is stumbling and fumbling for words.

Last edited:
Reactions: sob

amoy

MR. LEHRER: All right. Let's talk — we're still on the economy. This is, theoretically now, a second segment still on the economy, and specifically on what do about the federal deficit, the federal debt. And the question — you each have two minutes on this — and, Governor Romney you go first because the president went first on segment one. And the question is this: What are the differences between the two of you as to how you would go about tackling the deficit problem in this country?

MR. ROMNEY: Well, good. I'm glad you raised that. And it's a — it's a critical issue. I think it's not just an economic issue. I think it's a moral issue. I think it's, frankly, not moral for my generation to keep spending massively more than we take in, knowing those burdens are going to be passed on to the next generation. And they're going to be paying the interest and the principle all their lives. And the amount of debt we're adding, at a trillion a year, is simply not moral.

So how do we deal with it? Well, mathematically there are — there are three ways that you can cut a deficit. One, of course, is to raise taxes. Number two is to cut spending. And number three is to grow the economy because if more people work in a growing economy they're paying taxes and you can get the job done that way.

The presidents would — president would prefer raising taxes. I understand. The problem with raising taxes is that it slows down the rate of growth and you could never quite get the job done. I want to lower spending and encourage economic growth at the same time.

What things would I cut from spending? Well, first of all, I will eliminate all programs by this test — if they don't pass it: Is the program so critical it's worth borrowing money from China to pay for it? And if not, I'll get rid of it. "Obamacare" is on my list. I apologize, Mr. President. I use that term with all respect.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: I like it.

MR. ROMNEY: Good. OK, good. (Laughter.) So I'll get rid of that. I'm sorry, Jim. I'm going to stop the subsidy to PBS. I'm going to stop other things. I like PBS. I love Big Bird. I actually like you too. But I'm not going to — I'm not going to keep on spending money on things to borrow money from China to pay for it. That's number one.

Number two, I'll take programs that are currently good programs but I think could be run more efficiently at the state level and send them to state.

Number three, I'll make government more efficient, and to cut back the number of employees, combine some agencies and departments. My cutbacks will be done through attrition, by the way.

This is the approach we have to take to get America to a balanced budget. The president said he'd cut the deficit in half. Unfortunately, he doubled it. Trillion-dollar deficits for the last four years. The president's put it in place as much public debt — almost as much debt held by by the public as all prior presidents combined.
Romney has my vote :cb:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Obama has opened up to Romney a great opportunity to even out the race.

niharjhatn

LOL at the start though - Romney essentially changed aspects of previous policy I remember he had mentioned earlier. And his 'tax cut' plan seems a bit off, like the numbers don't add up.

But yeah, he had a great start. Let's see how much the first debate actually matters.

niharjhatn

Obama is a Teleprompter president. He will obviously have problems while debating unless he is prepped thoroughly. He had lot of time to do that when he was not president but now he doesn't have time due to him being a president. So, obviously he is stumbling and fumbling for words.
Romney was drilling for a MONTH for this one debate. A MONTH.

I'm not sure who is the better 'natural' speaker, but you sure can't judge him being a better speaker based on this one off debate.

I still feel the debates are moderated too much. Candidates should be given free reign.

niharjhatn

just following up on what I said, there is this excellent interactive fact check tool on nytimes
Video of First Debate Between Obama and Romney - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

As well as in a more conventional format:
Presidential Debate Fact-Check and Updates - Live Coverage - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

A lot of BS expounded by both sides, particularly Romney seems to be off on many of the facts.

It was a difficult debate to follow, often dipping down into stats that one party claimed and the other disputed. I think Obama approached this with a more - don't screw up mentality and Romney seemed competent in the challenger role. Obama really did not attack him as much as he should have. Romney's entire tax plan remains a mystery, and has not offered anything on the 'deductions' he will get rid off, and I question how MUCH of a difference it would really make.

Not particularly entertaining.

sob

Mod
Country flag

The whole idea is to present your best face forward to the electorate. And Mr.Romney has achieved that. His numbers are going to jump, but I am sure that President Obama is going t bounce back.

However for a challenger to trounce the incumbent in the opening debate is a major achievement and Republican supporters are sure going to get a boost from it. We should see some major campaign contribution also pouring into his campaign.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Romney was drilling for a MONTH for this one debate. A MONTH.

I'm not sure who is the better 'natural' speaker, but you sure can't judge him being a better speaker based on this one off debate.

I still feel the debates are moderated too much. Candidates should be given free reign.
I agree, and the campaign debates are not formal debates at all.

As for Romney drilling for a month, Al Gore says Obama didn't have time to acclimate to the high (5000 feet) altitude in Denver, so performed poorly :)

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Today Obama said at a rally that the Romney he debated "was not the real Romney." :)

blank_quest

Country flag

:shocked: रोम्नी वास नोट दी ओरीजिनल रोम्नी~!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

and why do we give a f--k ?

:hmm:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Your boy got his clocked cleaned. Suck it up. :)
Ewald, you are mistaken!

I want rommney the crackpot to win :)

:shocked: रोम्नी वास नोट दी ओरीजिनल रोम्नी~!
रोम्नी चूतिया है इसलिए उससे जीतना चाहिए क्योंकि वोह अमरीका को और जल्दी दुबाएगा

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Ewald, you are mistaken!

I want rommney the crackpot to win :)

रोम्नी चूतिया है इसलिए उससे जीतना चाहिए क्योंकि वोह अमरीका को और जल्दी दुबाएगा

Anyway, polls and debates don't count, only votes on election day. Although early voting has started in a few states.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The lackluster performance of Obama in the first debate I think has even out the chances for Romney. So you're back in contention Ewald...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Very rare photograph of Churchill and Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles