What if IA is deployed in Afghanistan?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Lets hope the IA is not sent to Afghanistan.But if it is then who should be sent there?

I think the best decision would be to send a PARA brigade which is based in Agra. It comprises parachute regiments non sf and all other componemts in airborne form like engineers, signals, doctors.

The strength would be around 3000 troops.

Also to be sent should be around 3 company of sf troops from the premier units on rotation basis to assist in operations.

We would need a good number of BMPs to operate too and also the newly inducted Apaches...how many i dont know.

Anything less than this will not have the power to support themselves independently.

Only after fast tracking the equiping and conducting proper exercises should this be done... otherwise there are chances of us bleeding initially.

What do we gain out of it?

We will gain a lot of war experience which will be much better than Kashmir and also help us in the long run.

Secondly,RAW will get a active independent foreign base to take care of Pakistan and start its proxy war from the other side with more intensity along with the help of afghans.

Also we could support afghan army against pakistan.

Things that wont work will be.. casualties for sure which will cause national sentiment to rise.

Muslims in India will get funds to attack civilians from taliban and they will do it for sure.

All in all i think if we go we can achieve a lot of things IF we carry it out as per plan.

Please share your views on tactics,politics,stratergy etc about it.

Raju Seth

We should send IA to afghanistan as not only deployment of IA will give strategic advantage to us(against Pak) but also a test ground for indian weapons

IA presence in afghanistan can help in annexation of POK & a hell door for pak,a second strike ability

And we should definetly pull forces from UN feet which are deployed in useless nation like somalia or countries which dont give any strategic value to us.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Bad Idea right now.

The biggest disadvantage that we have there is a lack of Direct land mass connection.

Also if u wanna deploy troops it will be much easier with Aircraft like C17 heavy lifters.

We have only one way to reach Afghanistan currently and that is thorough Iran.
Obviously Iran being a Islamic nation isn't in the least bit trustable.

The these all are minors issues the real problem are the people there.
We have nothing in common with them.
They may appreciate us but that is only from afar, as soon as we step into their land it won't be the same anymore.
Maybe if Afganistan was 10 to 15% Hindu or Buddhist then may be we could have gained a foothold but a country with 99% islamic population u know whats gonna happen.

The Taliban find it's sympathisers in the Public itself no need to go outside.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
A big FUCKING MISTAKE.

1. We dont have the resources to maintain a brigade in such a far away land with crappy infrastructure and tribal regions.The entire country is basically mountain and it will require us to deploy shit tonne of air transport just to maintain some bases throughout the country and having isolated bases spread all along is a recipe for disaster.We wouldnt be able to reinforce them in time being and other logistical problems.Other logistical problem is how do we get to afghanistan?Pakistan is out of the question and iran cannot be trusted much.

2. A brigade wont be enough.it will require atleast 2 divisions or a corp(which cannot be maintained).Considering the geography some 40000-50000 soldiers a re a bare minimum.Plus they would require Close air support and helicopter evacuation time to time as they would get into fighting taliban.We dont have aircrafts to spare for expeditionary duties as such.They would also require air defense.We dont have that either for any such duties.

3. Pakistan will have a hay day killing our soldiers in afghanistan.Afghanistan is a tribal country and pakistan will use that card plus religion card well to antagonize them against us and then we will find ourselves in same situation as sovets.

AFGHANISTAN is important for our security,during taliban era they pushed terrorists in kashmir and IC 814 highjacking as we all know and it has a very important locations in central asia,it basically is our gateway to CA.

The best thing we can do is support afghan army with equipment and money and training.But the biggest challenge is penetration of afghan government in afghan society or the lack of it.
Thats where we can help them properly to get back up on its feet and help them in a much larger scale.

And as for military intervention,We should deploy nothing more than our SF units to help afghan forces kill and clear out high value targets and be over with it.

The main reason ISAF was and still is so unpopular because of its use of overwhelming force and too many boots on ground.
Lets hope the IA is not sent to Afghanistan.But if it is then who should be sent there?

I think the best decision would be to send a PARA brigade which is based in Agra. It comprises parachute regiments non sf and all other componemts in airborne form like engineers, signals, doctors.

The strength would be around 3000 troops.

Also to be sent should be around 3 company of sf troops from the premier units on rotation basis to assist in operations.

We would need a good number of BMPs to operate too and also the newly inducted Apaches...how many i dont know.

Anything less than this will not have the power to support themselves independently.

Only after fast tracking the equiping and conducting proper exercises should this be done... otherwise there are chances of us bleeding initially.

What do we gain out of it?

We will gain a lot of war experience which will be much better than Kashmir and also help us in the long run.

Secondly,RAW will get a active independent foreign base to take care of Pakistan and start its proxy war from the other side with more intensity along with the help of afghans.

Also we could support afghan army against pakistan.

Things that wont work will be.. casualties for sure which will cause national sentiment to rise.

Muslims in India will get funds to attack civilians from taliban and they will do it for sure.

All in all i think if we go we can achieve a lot of things IF we carry it out as per plan.

Please share your views on tactics,politics,stratergy etc about it.

Tupac slayer

Country flag
Any deployment in Afghanistan would require lot of helicopters which we dont have, further with Americans with all their hi tech gear were not able to hold Afghanistan, Again I repeat NO AMOUNT OF SPECIAL OPERATIONS RAIDS OR AIRSTRIKES OR HELIBORNE STRIKES would change situation in Afghanistan, Unless terrorist safe heavens in Pakistan are destroyed.

One more logical question how do we secure our bases in Afghanistan? At least in Kashmir we face fidayeen attacks from only Pakistan Punjab based militant groups, but in Afghanistan we have to deal with Central Asian terrorist groups also, who are better trained and well equipped, We will take lot of hits and suffer more casualties,

If any one wants to tie down Pakistan army deployment, We can do it by keeping LOC in Kashmir Hot, because Pakistan would automatically, Once we tie down Pakistan on Kashmir front, Baluchistan front and Waziristan province will be hot, Because TTP group has warned Pakistan numerous times before that attacks will continue on Pakistan even after US withdraws from Afghanistan. North Waziristan Operation is bleeding Pakistan to great extent.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Anybody knows what's the highest no of Talibs that can be Conjured up to attack a base?

Suppose we make an airbase in Afghanistan, what are we looking to face 10 Talibs, 100 Talibs, 1000 Talibs and do we have the capability to handle the raid?

Talibs have raided US bases in the past tho none were successful enough.

I'm talking about raid like these
But on much larger scale.

September 2012 raid on Camp Bastion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_2012_raid_on_Camp_Bastion

Last edited:

Tupac slayer

Country flag
Anybody knows what's the highest no of Talibs that can be Conjured up to attack a base?

Suppose we make an airbase in Afghanistan, what are we looking to face 10 Talibs, 100 Talibs, 1000 Talibs and do we have the capability to handle the raid?

Talibs have raided US bases in the past tho none were successful enough.

I'm talking about raid like these
But on much larger scale.

September 2012 raid on Camp Bastion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_2012_raid_on_Camp_Bastion

My fears about deployment are exactly this and another couple of more like Battle of Kamdesh, Battle of Wanat etc. Remember we took 3 to 4 days to clear terrorists who attacked Pathankot Air force base. Remember there is no shortage of cannon fodder in Afghanistan- Pakistan theatre, Problem with Afghanistan unlike Iraq is it has many rugged mountains, Americans have to supply most their posts by air rather than ground. convoys.

cyclops

Country flag
Maybe after we have stupendous resources, are militarily strong enough to defy every other player in the region and Iran is in our pocket after its relations with Saudi Arabia & napakistan has turned super-shitty.
Though a proper balkanization of napakistan will be easier if we have a base in Afghanistan

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Even if India invents a star trek-styled teleporter and somehow set up a logistics supply line to Afghanistan, this is a very stupid idea, and India gains exactly zilch.

Pakis won't allow thoroughfare for IA. Iranians won't either (because we're basically doing America's bidding in Afghanistan).Any other route is unviable even for the Amricans.

Indian boots in Afghanistan means the Taliban gets to mobilize/radicalize better, since they're fighting literal heathens (kafirs), with whom they (Afghans) have had centuries-old military rivalry.

Just the cost of having a military presence in Afghanistan that thwarts the Taliban would be half of India's military budget, if not more.

And then whatever trinkets the Americans promise in return ("we'll bring more investments to India") are extremely conditional. When the time comes, our own regulatory clusterfuck will prevent those investments from taking hold, and so the Americans will have achieved their objectives in Afghanistan without spending a dime.

In short, this is a stupid idea unless the Americans can give us PoK as downpayment (so we at least have some land route to Afghanistan)..

IndiaRising

Country flag
What we should do is give afghans heavy artillery and t-72 tanks.
we should be mass producing ATAGs and Arjuns at this point and giving them to Afghans. It will also help us understand how these weapons function in an operational environment which can be used to improve them in the future, if necessary.

aghamarshana

Mitron......naacho
Country flag
India will not step on Afghan soil as long as we don't hold GB. Once we reclaim GB, we might step into the Northeast of Afg i.e the PanjShir and adjoint regions in an advisory role considering our experience working over there during Massoud days.
Untill then, we'll maintain low mil footprint in Afg and keep pursuing civvie reconstruction and supporting Afghan Forces through wares, training etc. As much as people believe in our abilities, it isn't feasible for us to step on Afg soil and evade IPKF-ish casualty figures.
But I believe in one thing, the Afghans will for sure benefit a lot from our expertise in dealing with unconventional militias. Even more than what they could ever get from the NATO nibbas hangin out there(barring tech, where we're improving). Only a revived Northern Alliance with overt Indian support (SF, training, supply) could ever contain the rakshasa called Taliban. Ruskies can be brought onboard to supply arms, spares and fix their Soviet-Afg scars. History has it that only Indians have managed to keep Afghan tribal militias at bay right from Rajput, Sikh, Maratha and British Indian Army days.

Last edited:

Waanar

Country flag
One thing is true.

We fret too much.
I agree Americans have a "body bag stack" mentality but we have the direct opposite and that's indecisiveness. We could've become a MNNA by joining Op Enduring Freedom but we refused.

US is getting the short end of the stick on the peace deal and we all know where the war's going to come next if Taliban gets a legitimate, legal foothold in Afghanistan yet here we are, again, fretting.
When Taliban will get a right, proper "pakkar" over Afghanistan, we will start moaning about how they're constantly launching attacks on Kashmir and how we're losing soldiers again.

SG and Paras were sent in advisory role to Northern Alliance during the initial phase of Afghanistan war but that was the most we did.
I'm not going to pretend like I know a hell lot about logistics and supply chain management. I will learn it somewhere down the line, but as of yet, nyet but I do see this in almost every discussion.

Any and all talk of proper power projection and half the forum members start running around with butts clenched looking for a place to relieve themselves.
Let's derail this thread a bit and ask ourselves-

Why are we so afraid to commit to a long term grind to prevent an otherwise worse future?

Non-alignment is good when it's for external entities, but it seems our country's foreign policy doesn't align with itself either.

Deathstar

Country flag
One thing is true.

We fret too much.
I agree Americans have a "body bag stack" mentality but we have the direct opposite and that's indecisiveness. We could've become a MNNA by joining Op Enduring Freedom but we refused.

US is getting the short end of the stick on the peace deal and we all know where the war's going to come next if Taliban gets a legitimate, legal foothold in Afghanistan yet here we are, again, fretting.
When Taliban will get a right, proper "pakkar" over Afghanistan, we will start moaning about how they're constantly launching attacks on Kashmir and how we're losing soldiers again.

SG and Paras were sent in advisory role to Northern Alliance during the initial phase of Afghanistan war but that was the most we did.
I'm not going to pretend like I know a hell lot about logistics and supply chain management. I will learn it somewhere down the line, but as of yet, nyet but I do see this in almost every discussion.

Any and all talk of proper power projection and half the forum members start running around with butts clenched looking for a place to relieve themselves.
Let's derail this thread a bit and ask ourselves-

Why are we so afraid to commit to a long term grind to prevent an otherwise worse future?

Non-alignment is good when it's for external entities, but it seems our country's foreign policy doesn't align with itself either.
Do u think the Talibanis are eager to fight for other countries in foreign land like Kashmir after 20 years of fighting with the Americans??even if yes they wont be as effective as they used to be. And dont forget the statements of PTM leader when he was asked about Kashmir jihad. He clealy said that Punjabis should fight it. First of all we can engage in foreign lands onky after solving our internal issues.... CI/CT ops in Kashmir / NE/ Naxal is already costing us a lot and none will be gracious to fund our campaigns like that of Pakis.

Waanar

Country flag
Do u think the Talibanis are eager to fight for other countries in foreign land like Kashmir after 20 years of fighting with the Americans??even if yes they wont be as effective as they used to be. And dont forget the statements of PTM leader when he was asked about Kashmir jihad. He clealy said that Punjabis should fight it. First of all we can engage in foreign lands onky after solving our internal issues.... CI/CT ops in Kashmir / NE/ Naxal is already costing us a lot and none will be gracious to fund our campaigns like that of Pakis.
I sure hope not but even a few experienced insurgents will make it difficult for us to breath.
I'm sorry but I have some doubts on the fact that we cannot spare even a small contingent of 3000 soldiers out of a shit ton of soldiers and paramilitary going beyond a million if I'm not wrong.

If we truly can't spare them, that's troubling and we need to look inwards beyond the troubles caused by insurgents and see what might be lending itself to such a weakness on our part.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I think it is a good idea, if we send a Brigade to Afghanistan, in support of Afghanistan Govt. No military operation but to safe guard Indian installations, training Afghan troops. But this should be done in UN umbrella.

This move will have its strategic advantages, Pakistan will be sandwiched and pressure from west side on Pakistan after US leaves will be there. India can create a base there to counter ISI.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles