Terrorist attack on Pathankot Airbase

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Forget about Nepal- the puny Maldives is going to give a base to Chines and all under Modi's nose. We could have sent the aircraft carrier there to tell them that we mean business.
True but in someways Nepal is worse considering their total dependency on us. We should have kicked out a few of their people who enjoy life in India.

The point though is after some initial success or more like right noise, we are back to setbacks on the international stage.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Never. He doesn't need to do anything. I'm just saying, do not cancel the talks. I'm not saying don't carry out precision strikes. Do it, but at least from our side keep the diplomatic channels open.
Diplomatic talks are different than PM going and kissing ass. We can continue talking and doing "Aman ka Tamasha" but not signal weakness by sending our PM.

Sabru Foxtrot

Sabru Foxtrot
Video of Punjab SWAT in Pathankot Air Force Base Terror Attack Site

Combing Operations are underway by NSG, police and SWAT and army to search and kill the remaining 2 terrorists. 1 Garud and 2 DSC guards were shot by Terrorists before the gunfight started. RIP.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Quoting from Salwinder’s complaint, DSP Pathankot (Rural) Kuldeep Singh said, “Salwinder told us he was coming back from Talur village in his personal SUV after paying obeisance at a religious place… They reached a fuel station in Kolian village, Pathankot, around 1 am. Five persons signalled them to stop. Verma, who was driving, stopped the vehicle. The men were dressed in Army fatigues and were heavily armed. Salwinder said there is a blue beacon on his vehicle, which was switched off when they were asked to stop.” “All five men got into the vehicle and started assaulting the three occupants. After travelling around 20 km, they stopped the vehicle and tied Salwinder and Gopal to the trees. They took Verma with them and threw him out of the car about four km away. He sustained minor injuries,” said Kuldeep. “Meanwhile, Salwinder and the cook managed to free themselves and reached a nearby house, from where they called police at 2:45 am. The SUV was found abandoned in a village that falls in Himachal Pradesh, near Pathankot,” Kuldeep added. Kuldeep said the alleged assailants also snatched mobile phones from Salwinder and Verma. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/in...b-sp-car-jack-abduction/#sthash.J29tleKm.dpuf

quite suspicious chap..................
Plus time line is not correct.
I don't understand. Why tie them up? Why not shoot them? Why was the SP let go? Suspicious.

Sabru Foxtrot

Sabru Foxtrot
SWAT team, NSG and Garuds at #Pathankot attack site; combing operations underway

pathankot2-U10141249868DkG--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

Navneet Kundu

Everyone makes assumptions, stating that is redundant. The key issue is whether those assumptions are logical or not.
There seems to be a misunderstanding here, as to what it is I am saying. I am not a pacifist, I believe that being encircled by hostile countries is the worst way to live. It impedes our ability to project any force beyond our borders, on the contrary, we become sitting ducks. On a fundamental level you and I are saying the same thing : Pakistan needs to be fractured. Where we differ is that you seem to believe that the magnetic force of the Umma is invincible and I think that it is penetrable. After all we could accomplish Bangladesh only after engineering a rift in their so-called Umma. All I am saying is that their bonds are not unbreakable, we must strive to further their rifts. After all, Shias and Sunnis are fighting amognst each other are they not? Kurds are fighting for independence, are they not? My point being that we overlook a great opportunity when we look at them as a homogeneous group. They are willing to serve each others heads on the platter if only you are willing to engage them on the basis of their differences not their similarities.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There seems to be a misunderstanding here, as to what it is I am saying. I am not a pacifist, I believe that being encircled by hostile countries is the worst way to live. It impedes our ability to project any force beyond our borders, on the contrary, we become sitting ducks. On a fundamental level you and I are saying the same thing : Pakistan needs to be fractured. Where we differ is that you seem to believe that the magnetic force of the Umma is invincible and I think that it is penetrable. After all we could accomplish Bangladesh only after engineering a rift in their so-called Umma. All I am saying is that their bonds are not unbreakable, we must strive to further their rifts. After all, Shias and Sunnis are fighting amognst each other are they not? Kurds are fighting for independence, are they not? My point being that we overlook a great opportunity when we look at them as a homogeneous group. They are willing to serve each others heads on the platter if only you are willing to engage them on the basis of their differences not their similarities.
I don't believe their Ummah is impenetrable. Its more that we don't seem to be interested in or able to penetrate it sufficiently. Only economic carrot will never be enough, what works in this world is force. Besides, you can't and musn't rely on breaking their ummah. That's just inviting disaster given their penchant for back stabbing. Work with the likes of Israel for mutual self interest against these jihadi nations.

Anyway, my real disagreement with you it seems is that you believe we are working towards some plan to balkanize Pak and that these peace talks are some cover. I don't buy that based on how weak Modi and his government have been.

Now if its some SunTsu level trick of 'appear weak when you are strong', time will tell. I'll hope and pray that I am wrong on this and that we really have some huge plans being cooked up, but I can't live on false hope when I see no indications towards the same.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Diplomatic channels are meaningless for the most part as are silly peace initiatives. You wish for them to continue, fine. My only concern is retaliation for attack on our base. Do that and continue with your talks.
That's what I said in my post.

How does it matter who is worse if they are both bad? Though have no doubt, this is in may ways worse than Mumbai which were soft targets. This one is an IAF base with Migs.
Many times worse? Are you serious? Mumbai is the commercial capital of India. How did it not matter? Also, how can you compare hundreds dead including police officers plus an NSG commando with a couple of soldiers dead?

Just for MIGs? Your MIGs are there to protect the civilians and soldiers. Not the other way around.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Diplomatic talks are different than PM going and kissing ass. We can continue talking and doing "Aman ka Tamasha" but not signal weakness by sending our PM.
I think it was the other way around when the PM went there. He went there without any prior information or without any valid Visas. I think this made the pakis look weak, not us. Also, it put India in a better position as compared to pakis. Now would be a good time to strike their training camps as the world has seen that we were keen to talk but pakis f*cked up.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Many times worse? Are you serious? Mumbai is the commercial capital of India. How did it not matter? Also, how can you compare hundreds dead including police officers plus an NSG commando with a couple of soldiers dead?

Just for MIGs? Your MIGs are there to protect the civilians and soldiers. Not the other way around.
Hard vs soft target. Quality vs quantity.

Any moron with AK47 can shoot innocent, unarmed people. It takes much more to storm an IAF base which is supposed to be fortified and highly secure.

You think some jihadis being able to storm our IAF base does not make us look weak?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I think it was the other way around when the PM went there. He went there without any prior information or without any valid Visas. I think this made the pakis look weak, not us. Also, it put India in a better position as compared to pakis. Now would be a good time to strike their training camps as the world has seen that we were keen to talk but pakis f*cked up.
Really guys!! You have come down to this level talking about visas!!

Heads of state carry diplomatic passports and do not need visa in many cases. Do you really think PM needs a visa or have to queue in the line to get one!!

Navneet Kundu

Iran is Shia and still agreed to lend planes to Pak during '71.

It is not leverage but simple economics. Muslims are killing each other all over the world but that does not mean they hate kafirs any less.
Let's not forget that there was an Iranian revolution post 1975 that has altered their strategic view. Iran views Pakistan as a Sunni pawn in the hands of Sunni Saudi Arabia. If you notice carefully there's friction going on between Iran and Pakistan, with both firing mortars into each other's territory multiple times in 2015. If you also notice, Iran has allowed us to build a strategic port, which it wouldn't have, pre-revolution. If you also notice, Iran offered us deferred payments option to buy their oil when both Iran and India were being bullied by USA.

No one denies your Kaffir-hate logic but if we want to cultivate offensive covert capabilities inside Pakistan you will need to shake a lot of Kaffir-hating hands. It doesn't mean that we need to become friends with Iran or Baloch or Sindhi Mullas, but collaborating with them on a common-minimum 'fuck Pakistan' agenda will yield more dividends and unsettle Pakistan than any drone strike. The Iran-Balochistan porder is porous, Balochistan-Afghanistan border is porous, and there are people who can aid our agenda. All of that will be gone if we are *seen* as hostile to Muslims. All I am saying is, overtly maintaining a deceptively friendly appearance is essential if the covert dividends are to be reaped.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Hard vs soft target. Quality vs quantity.

Any moron with AK47 can shoot innocent, unarmed people. It takes much more to storm an IAF base which is supposed to be fortified and highly secure.

You think some jihadis being able to storm our IAF base does not make us look weak?
It makes us look weak, doesn't make the attack worse than Mumbai. Choose your words right.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

Heads of state carry diplomatic passports and do not need visa in many cases. Do you really think PM needs a visa or have to queue in the line to get one!!
There were 120 people with the PM. Also, Sharif was busy in a family wedding.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

Also, look at the bright side like I said in that post. Now at least the world has seen PM go to pak and initiate talks. It gives us an upper hand to strike. If we strike now, we can reason with the world that we were ready to talk but had to suffer with this kind of cowardly attack.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Also, look at the bright side like I said in that post. Now at least the world has seen PM go to pak and initiate talks. It gives us an upper hand to strike. If we strike now, we can reason with the world that we were ready to talk but had to suffer with this kind of cowardly attack.
Wait and be happy if something happens!! I highly doubt any action will be taken.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It makes us look weak, doesn't make the attack worse than Mumbai. Choose your words right.
Depends on your definition of worse.

I might sound harsh and dismissive of civilian life here but to me our IAF base being vulnerable to such attacks is much worse.

Who's to say other bases are not vulnerable? What's next? Attack on our nuke sites?

Besides, in the geo-political game, as harsh as it seems, a Mumbai like attack earns us sympathy, just as Paris attack earned France sympathy. Today's attack only makes us look weak.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Depends on your definition of worse.

I might sound harsh and dismissive of civilian life here but to me our IAF base being vulnerable to such attacks is much worse.

Who's to say other bases are not vulnerable? What's next? Attack on our nuke sites?

Besides, in the geo-political game, as harsh as it seems, a Mumbai like attack earns us sympathy, just as Paris attack earned France sympathy. Today's attack only makes us look weak.
Don't be so harsh on yourself. From the current info, it does not seem like they were able to go in or anything. Also, at the end of day any fool can go and blow himself up in front of IAF or any other military base and that does not really count as infiltration.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Don't be so harsh on yourself. From the current info, it does not seem like they were able to go in or anything. Also, at the end of day any fool can go and blow himself up in front of IAF or any other military base and that does not really count as infiltration.
That's one crucial info I am still not clear on. Did the scum get into the base compound or not? If not, where are they holed up that the ops have been going for 10+ hours? I am sure there are delays since our forces always try to capture atleast some of these scum alive.

Their intention was to get into the tech area and blow some assets, that obviously has not happened, but still if they were able to get into the base compound, its troubling.

Navneet Kundu

Did the scum get into the base compound or not? If not, where are they holed up that the ops have been going for 10+ hours?

Their intention was to get into the tech area and blow some assets, that obviously has not happened, but still if they were able to get into the base compound, its troubling.
As per news :

The terrorists who had planned to damage the frontier air force base where fighter squadrons were stationed. "The terrorists were contained in one area of the air force station. They could not reach near the technical area of the air force station where IAF aircraft and other assets are located," a Punjab Police official stationed near the IAF station told IANS.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles