Singh's Japan stop was first step to shoring up regional security

Iamanidiot

The Chinese Indirectly told us we will not endorse you in UNSC whats the big deal about that

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I think India's reply should be starting back channel nuclear talks with Vietnam.

mayfair

The dog barketh for its master.

Yechury can go suck his master's poodle in addition to being one. To those calling Japan an American pet forget that they allowed theselves to be petted when it mattered- The Soviets, the Americans, while keeping pets of the most vile kind at the same time- Pakistan, North Korea, Sudan...

Phenom

If the Chinese are really making such an offer we should seriously consider it.

Having said that, I don't think the Chinese would ever make such an offer. If you leave aside the emotive issue, having Japan in the SC instead of India would be beneficial to the Chinese. Japan is a small country although pretty rich, Japan is on long term decline and there is no way they would be able to counter China as the dominant player in Asia, so a weak Japan in SC would be better for China than a strong India in the same place.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
China has nothing to lose had India decide not taking China's advice and still stick with Japan.
My dear man, Nehru took your advise and stepped within everything your leadership said the last time and we paid a heavy price in east Ladakh. We don't want to risk totally aligning again.

It's just business as usual. China should have no problem to endorse India's ambition to get seat if India go alone with its bidding. China and India share more common ground than difference and current 5 are dominated by developed country. By adding India into Security Council will definitely increase the weight of developing countries as well as "BRIC" India can continue playing its geo game but I don't think she can gain too much from Japan

But what does that have to do with our diplomatic relations with Japan? Isn't that important? I agree with you that we will be heavyweights around the world as both countries will have a strong balance of power back into east with Russia, China and India becoming three permanent members balancing.

Japan is an increasingly decline country with ailing population and constant natural disaster. With Japanese economy deeply tied to China and stagnant, Japan is losing its teeth to challenge China and will have less in near future. Japan will be a chess piece of US to contain China at most and China could care less.
Listen, the British also colonized us and we don't threaten to exterminate them (in fact there's reverse colonization is kind of happening). We know there was an issue between you and them at that time. Japanese have a lot of problems and are not going to be a problem for you in any way. We've forgiven the British; it is time you forgive the Japanese too. The past is kind of unchangeable, isn't it?

Back to India, a good relationship with China probably benefit India most considering China is India's largest trade partner and has significant influence to India's foe: Pakistan. China and India also share lots of common interest in world stage as developing countries. However, it's up to India to decide where she wants to go: To play with formal colony countries against China with backfire later or look forward to a long term relationship.
That's where the problem is. Pakistan is a menace constantly armed by your government that it uses against us and then calls us the aggressor. If we were aggressive, there would have been no Pakistan after 1971 when we sliced them up like a salmon. Indira wanted to tear Pakistan into pieces but for goodwill decided to not even negotiate for POK in exchange for their 93,000 POWs. And for this, this is what it tells us.

Pakistan has become even worse now because it aids terrorists by helping them under a nuclear umbrella. You see, that's the problem. If they were not nuclear (thanks to you otherwise), we could have removed this Taliban and other nonsense forever by simply raiding into their territory, targeting only the terror camps and returning back. But your government's obsession with containing us caused this problem to go out of control. And you can yourself see what the terrorists that it once fed have become.

I am all for China provided it stops claiming our territories. The territories you wish to secure as your trading lines can diplomatically become safe passageways if you want through peace and diplomatic cooperation. But by questioning and claiming our states, your government doesn't understand this.

"What did you see in Japan, and is there any chance of India following in the progressive steps of Japan?"

"None whatever, until all the three hundred millions of India combine together as a whole nation. The world has never seen such a patriotic and artistic race as the Japanese, and one special feature about them is this that while in Europe and elsewhere Art generally goes with dirt, Japanese Art is Art plus absolute cleanliness. I would wish that every one of our young men could visit Japan once at least in his lifetime. It is very easy to go there. The Japanese think that everything Hindu is great and believe that India is a holy land. Japanese Buddhism is entirely different from what you see in Ceylon. It is the same as Vedanta. It is positive and theistic Buddhism, not the negative atheistic Buddhism of Ceylon.
Told you; The Sri Lankans are a bane to Buddhism. They've tarnished our image through their meaningless and insane practises. But people find it hard to believe. The Buddhism (as they think) that the Lankans follow is an insult to our way of life. They're making it look like Taliban by decimating Tamil mainstream Hindu temples and making monasteries over them. Buddhism essentially encompasses deep philosophies of mainstream Hinduism-- like a mentor and a student. But thanks to Sri Lankan stupid idiots. :doh:

Blackwater

Sorry Mr China you can dictate to His Holiness Sri Sri Sri Sri Pakistan ji but not to us. We are not that Sri Sri.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
People are reading too much into this statement. This news is probably financed by CPI over media houses. China is not serious over UNSC expansion. Hence showing off cozy attitude. Well, maybe that works for them.

India can continue playing its geo game but I don't think she can gain too much from Japan. Japan is an increasingly decline country with ailing population and constant natural disaster.
There is no dependability. However it devices a fair leverage in Indian foreign policy.

S.A.T.A

China will never make such a request on a public forum,however its possible Chinese officials may have stated to the effect in private briefings with Yechury.There is no doubt that China would loath to see Japan in the UNSC,infinitely more than India.India,however cannot take this proposal seriously,this will undermine the international coalition we've painstakingly put together to push forwards the UNSC reforms.India simply does not have the political clout to push through this reform on its own wherewithal.

Even if China's offer was genuine,how are we going to convince the other G4 states,more importantly How will we placate the Americans, who are all serious about Japan's candidacy.This appears more like an attempt to rupture the G4 solidarity and split the contenders.P5 performed a similar feat with the African states,when they got the Africa Union to torpedo a previous move to expand the UNSC permanent membership.

Oracle

/\/\/\ SATA, America has supported India's candidature openly. So has France, Russis and the UK.

It's China which is a thorn in the flesh.

S.A.T.A

America will find it difficult to support India,if we waver in our support for japan in the expanded UNSC.We will lose our credibility with other G4 countries.China cannot dictate all our focus on the UNSC reform front,considering they have never openly supported our candidacy.India must continue its effort to forge a larger global coalition and increase international pressure, to forward the case UNSC expansion.

pmaitra

^^

That is a good point. Our support for Japan must stay put. This should not, however, stop our back channel deliberations with PRC.

pmaitra

The dog barketh for its master.

Yechury can go suck his master's poodle in addition to being one. To those calling Japan an American pet forget that they allowed theselves to be petted when it mattered- The Soviets, the Americans, while keeping pets of the most vile kind at the same time- Pakistan, North Korea, Sudan...
I like Yechuri's visit. At least we have an idea what PRC is thinking behind closed doors. I don't think he is any less loyal to the country than the right wingers.

Please share with us when Japan allowed themselves to be petted by the Soviets? AFAIK, they never did.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Well it is like this Right Now India cant claim to be more powerful than Britain and France
SO India cant say that right now India deserves a place ahead of UK and France
If India keeps up with its economic , military and technological progress then in 20 years India will be a a BIG power
It doesnt matter whether you are in or out of the security council
What matters is power , When we are a big power then only we can OPENLY SAY that there are weaker nations than India in the UNSC
So for the next 20 years India should focus on BECOMING a big power rather than expecting a favour from US
most of whcih ive been repeatedly saying on this forum - ie my poisition has been consistent - instead of trying to get in by the back door india's path shd be to continue the good economic growth she's been having and will be INVITED in - remember unlike japan india is a de-facto nuke power and increasing ly recognised as such - and you cant have one tha's economically powerful outside the inclusion .

secondly for india to aspire to UNSC perm membrship and starting out by bowing to china - is just about the worst way to go about the whole thing ..... 2 fingers to them and enter in on our own strength is what i say - anything less lacks honour.

one last point - people like yechuary should consider migrating to china !!

pmaitra

bro, here's the reason why - the JAP government ( and military ) has GUTS !
No, I beg to differ. PRC can bust Japan anytime they want.

PRC has its own reasons to hate Japan, just like the Koreans. They (Japan) were extremely brutal with the Chinese and the Koreans. Their conduct was not much different from the conduct of the Pakistani Army in East Pakistan. They are riding on a sympathy quotient simply because they were nuked. I am opposed to their nuking, but that doesn't reduce the legitimacy of the grievances that the Chinese and Koreans hold for the Japanese.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
Please share with us when Japan allowed themselves to be petted by the Soviets? AFAIK, they never did.
Because Japan doesn't have a choice, they were already a bitch of US since WWII. How can a pet chose its master?

JayATL

If anyone believes that UNSC or UN itself as a body has any teeth - then I have an igloo to sell you my Icelander..

no smoking

Country flag
Well, as a chinese, I must correct you.

We shouted to each other and we fight against each other. But that is what countries do, that is the business. Just like you have a competitor, you and him will do everthing to destroy the opposite's business except running into other's home: killing your father, rapping your mother. That is the difference between you and Japan: we don't like you, but we don't hate you.

Have a good day.

sukhish

Well, as a chinese, I must correct you.

We shouted to each other and we fight against each other. But that is what countries do, that is the business. Just like you have a competitor, you and him will do everthing to destroy the opposite's business except running into other's home: killing your father, rapping your mother. That is the difference between you and Japan: we don't like you, but we don't hate you.

Have a good day.
India is engaging with all now a days. engagement with china is all for good. if they can't offer their support to us, we can make an effort so that they atleast don't put infinite hurdles for us. entering into the P5 club won't be easy, they will try to delay it as much as possible. But I think the time is fast reaching. as Indians we don't hate china, we just hate the support china gives to pakistan ( state sponsor of terror ). eventually china won't block india's effort for reforms. also I don't thing any of the G-4 countries except india will get close to P5 club, they may be good economically, but lack the military punch altogether. for India thanks to china and pakistan, we will always have a strong military. also in the log run india is trying to create a P1 club which would sit on top of P5 , getting into some arrangement with P5 is medium term goal for india, our long term goal is to make a P1 club. currently p5 club rests on military and economic power, but the P1 club will rely on economic, military and most important spiritual power, and non of the P5 countries even remotely comes close to the spiritual power that India projects.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
It could be because of their history, and what the Japanese did to the Chinese in World War 2. (Nanjing Massacre, etc) They hate each other as much as Pakistanis and Indians, but they are economically tied up to really fight about it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles