Project P15B Visakhapatnam class destroyer

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Cruise speed of Barak 8 is M 2. Its the last couple seconds for dual pulse motor that matters!
I asked her what is the "top speed", she didn't answer Mach 4. She spent 3 minutes banging on a keyboard and told me "Mach 2". If it would accelerate to Mach 4 then the top speed would be Mach 4.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Good now ask IN for corroboration.....................
I already spent my own money to make that call to satisfy my curiosity, I don't need to spend any more. As far as I am concerned the matter is settled. If you want to believe something else I will leave you to it.

porky_kicker

Country flag
I already spent my own money to make that call to satisfy my curiosity, I don't need to spend any more. As far as I am concerned the matter is settled. If you want to believe something else I will leave you to it.
Roger that.....................

Vishwamitra

Country flag
Underarmed? Not at all - with 16 BrahMos it's got twice the offensive anti-surface firepower of typical destroyers in its class (7-8000T).

More like under-defended. The Barak-8 is a great missile, many people are unaware of its features and why IN was so keen on it, knowing full well its abilities especially against fast missiles like Brahmos/Yakhont/YJ-12 etc.

But the number of 32 is too low to be frank. Granted, the P-15A/B are not exactly dedicated AAW destroyers, but with carriers to defend, we need ships that can deploy anywhere between 48-64 SAMs at least.

Hopefully this trend will change with the P-18/NGD.
thats why i am trying ti say.

32 missiles are not enough. china recently added 4 type 55 class destroyers, each ship with 112-128 vls each. how can our ship fight against these aegis ?

we need aegis ships in our navy, we have golden opportunity to get technology and know how from Japan who is currently operating 2nd largest Aegis feet in the world. not sure why we are not taking that opportunity for our advantage and making cheap looking kolkatas.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
I asked her what is the "top speed", she didn't answer Mach 4. She spent 3 minutes banging on a keyboard and told me "Mach 2". If it would accelerate to Mach 4 then the top speed would be Mach 4.
Nope what you get is cruise speed. That terminal thing is for 5 or so seconds. It's at the last minute to intercept.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
thats why i am trying ti say.

32 missiles are not enough. china recently added 4 type 55 class destroyers, each ship with 112-128 vls each. how can our ship fight against these aegis ?

we need aegis ships in our navy, we have golden opportunity to get technology and know how from Japan who is currently operating 2nd largest Aegis feet in the world. not sure why we are not taking that opportunity for our advantage and making cheap looking kolkatas.
Are you stupid?

Type 055

112 VLS = 16 AShM + 32 ASROC/TLAM equivalent + 64 SAM (HHQ 9B)

P 15B

48 = 16 UVLM AShM + 32 VLS SAM

Advaidhya Tiwari

Are you stupid?

Type 055

112 VLS = 16 AShM + 32 ASROC/TLAM equivalent + 64 SAM (HHQ 9B)

P 15B

48 = 16 UVLM AShM + 32 VLS SAM
All ships are having much less ammunition than maximum limit. this is because the missiles have shelf life and that gets reduced with deployment. So, to avoid wasting ammunition, during peacetime, we only carry limited quantities. In war time, the number will be enhanced to 250+ missiles. So, don't take these peacetime numbers seriously

Advaidhya Tiwari

Do you really think the company would tell all details? The company may have said only the max cruise speed. Maximum homing speed is a different matter altogether. That happens only in last 5-6 seconds to trave about 6-7km and does not count as "speed" of the missile

vampyrbladez

Country flag
All ships are having much less ammunition than maximum limit. this is because the missiles have shelf life and that gets reduced with deployment. So, to avoid wasting ammunition, during peacetime, we only carry limited quantities. In war time, the number will be enhanced to 250+ missiles. So, don't take these peacetime numbers seriously
Type 055 112 vls
P 15B 48 vls

This is max...........................

porky_kicker

Country flag
Aero india brochure says over mach 3
Seriously why did you post that ?

Did you not read that he called up the Israelis and they confirmed it is mach 2 and he is satisfied.

Anyways thanks for the picture , actually the end game velocity is 4 mach thanks to the 2nd pulse. I read it in a DRDO document or tender document, which I can't find now.

porky_kicker

Country flag
There is a reason why IN destroyers have 32 VLS for air defence.

That reason is to cut down operational costs during peacetime and importantly IN operational doctrine involves multiple vessels operating in a overlapping support role and not in a lone wolf mode.

Is it some wrestling match where 2 ships from opposing sides will have a shoot out ?

No , IN ships will operate in groups , the numbers will be determined by the mission requirements and threat levels.

And seriously how many AShMs can porkistan ships can possibly fire at a time ?
2 ? 4 ? 8 ? 10 ?
Even then a single destroyer can neutralize 10 such missiles by firing 2 LRSAMs per AShMs for a total of 20 LRSAMs while moving out of threat zone with 12 missiles left to take care of any leakers.

If one has confidence in the capability of his defence systems , he can carry the minimum requisite numbers of the same rather than carry huge no of missiles to cater for the lack of confidence in the defensive systems.

Also there are rumours of IN destroyers carrying 32 reloads under deck in addition to the ready to fire 32 LRSAMs. I cannot give evidence for the same , believe what you want to believe.

Advaidhya Tiwari

If one has confidence in the capability of his defence systems , he can carry the minimum requisite numbers of the same rather than carry huge no of missiles to cater for the lack of confidence in the defensive systems.
The requirement and calculation of minimum is highly subjective. Only in peacetime, the requirement us minimal. In wartime, Indian ships may also have to carry enough missiles to strike land targets and also defend against land based AshM when it has to also give cover to land operations.
And seriously how many AShMs can porkistan ships can possibly fire at a time ?
If we have to go near land targets like Karachi, the number can be pretty high

Enemies can build many boats, even small ones like speed boats with people carrying ATGMS. Even these boats at distance of 7-10km can be highly problematic and have to be neutralised using some other means like helicopter based ATGM or even AshM missile.

So, the number of missiles including SAM, surface missiles, torpedoes, helicopter reloads etc will be enormous in case of major conflict. The requirement will be in 250+ easily per reload. It may go up much higher to 500+.

Even with high confidence, the number must be high in highly dangerous scenarios. Only peacetime operations can be considered less intense and hence less dangerous

porky_kicker

Country flag
The requirement and calculation of minimum is highly subjective. Only in peacetime, the requirement us minimal. In wartime, Indian ships may also have to carry enough missiles to strike land targets and also defend against land based AshM when it has to also give cover to land operations.

If we have to go near land targets like Karachi, the number can be pretty high

Enemies can build many boats, even small ones like speed boats with people carrying ATGMS. Even these boats at distance of 7-10km can be highly problematic and have to be neutralised using some other means like helicopter based ATGM or even AshM missile.

So, the number of missiles including SAM, surface missiles, torpedoes, helicopter reloads etc will be enormous in case of major conflict. The requirement will be in 250+ easily per reload. It may go up much higher to 500+.

Even with high confidence, the number must be high in highly dangerous scenarios. Only peacetime operations can be considered less intense and hence less dangerous
No offence debating for arguments sake is meaningless , once can even argue that a canoe fitted with a ashm can destroy a destroyer .

Sorry I am out of the discussion , you guys can continue.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles