New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
So do we know who all responded to the RFP for the rifles? If so I think we can have the voting again on top!!

We've been adding on rifles, originally it was just Tavor 7 and Galil in the forgien OEM side. Now we've added two more rather non big names into the mix, so I would think expect more..

devhensh

Does LMT in this JV stand for lewis machine tools ? If yes then this is a solid offering. LMT makes some good marksman rifles already in service in UK. They have been selected for NZ defence forces as well. However one of the criteria in the RFI is compatibility with ARDE UBGL, which is incompatible with AR-10/AR-15 derivatives.
Yes this is Lewis Machine Tools of USA. They make very very highly rated rifles and they have won the UK and NZ contracts, competing against HK417 and FN 17....But the UK contract was for Designated Marksman rifle and not battle rifles as the Indian army contract is.....

It's said that LMT won the UK contract primarily because it's a much heavier and thus stable rifle than FN SCAR 17.....also the scope image isn't lost during during firing of rapid string of aimed shots from a bipod ...which is one of the primary ways a Designated Marksmen rifle is used.....

To me , nothing can beat the FN SCAR 17 as a battle rifle.....and my dream is that our army gets it.....Let's first see if we see any joint venture for it....

Last edited:

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
Yes this is Lewis Machine Tools of USA. They make very very highly rated rifles and they have won the UK and NZ contracts, competing against HK417 and FN 17....But those were contracts for Designated Marksman rifle and not battle rifles as the Indian army contract is.....
NZ contract was for the MARS-L 5.56mm rifle that has started replacing the F88 in standard service. They are currently competing in the Estonian 5.56mm Rifle and 7.62mm DMR program.

devhensh

NZ contract was for the MARS-L 5.56mm rifle that has started replacing the F88 in standard service. They are currently competing in the Estonian 5.56mm Rifle and 7.62mm DMR program.
Yes, i am aware of that....The UK contract was for 7.62x51 mm DM rifle ....the point was that LMT is a very highly rated company, which has won international tenders of two nations competing against likes of HK & FN....

rishivashista13

Country flag
New Delhi: Top officials of India's Defence Ministry, along with representatives of the country's defence industry, are visiting Moscow next week. They will be assessing the Kalashnikov rifle works at Izhevsk so that the government to government agreement on the licensed production in India of the upgraded Kalashnikov AK-103 7.62x51mm assault rifles can be fast-tracked. The development was confirmed by an official of the defence ministry, as well as by industry sources to Sputnik.

Full article...http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2018/04/defence-team-to-visit-russia-to.html?m=1

Now can anyone tell me about, what is this 7.62 NATO AK 103..... ?? And why is this development taking place ??

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Maddy_9UY

Country flag
New Delhi: Top officials of India's Defence Ministry, along with representatives of the country's defence industry, are visiting Moscow next week. They will be assessing the Kalashnikov rifle works at Izhevsk so that the government to government agreement on the licensed production in India of the upgraded Kalashnikov AK-103 7.62x51mm assault rifles can be fast-tracked. The development was confirmed by an official of the defence ministry, as well as by industry sources to Sputnik.

Full article...http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2018/04/defence-team-to-visit-russia-to.html?m=1

Now can anyone tell me about, what is this 7.62 NATO AK 103..... ?? And why is this development taking place ??

I do not think it would be a NATO 7.62... A lot of Indian news reporting sites still do not understand the difference between various bullet calibers.

sthf

Country flag
We've been adding on rifles, originally it was just Tavor 7 and Galil in the forgien OEM side. Now we've added two more rather non big names into the mix, so I would think expect more..
IIRC more than 20 companies responded to RFI. We only know a handful of them.

sthf

Country flag
Few of them were at the defexpo
I saw that too and is not very surprising. Firearms went through what is probably the slowest evolution in warfare since WW2. It is a low tech industry and umpteen number of countries do good in this field except India.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Actually its 7.62x39 mm. Morons missed the fact that MARCOS does use AK-103 and negotiation is on for its license production to use it instead of TAR.

rishivashista13

Country flag
The Indian army quest to equip its soldiers with modern rifle and carbines suffered a setback this week when two major weapons manufacturers, US gunmaker Colt and Italy's Beretta, pulled out of the contest. Both Colt and Beretta were offering weapons for the 7.62 x 51 mm battle rifle and the 5.56 x 45 mm carbine requirements.
And Two of the largest gunmakers FN Herstal of Belgium and Germany's Heckler & Koch did not even participate in the small arms tender.
Full article... http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2018/05/two-major-weapons-manufacturers-exit.html?m=1

Wow... what a development, No one is participating. Ab to IWI hi bachi ek tarah se..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
History repeating itself in case of army tender for foreign rifles with a single vendor situation arising and possible cancellation of tender in the near future.
Better option is to outright go for 7.62*51 mm and 5.56*45 mm OFB excaliber mk 2/JVPC rifles for regular infantry and 7.62*39 mm OFB Ghatak/TAR as soon as possible.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
History repeating itself in case of army tender for foreign rifles with a single vendor situation arising and possible cancellation of tender in the near future.
Better option is to outright go for 7.62*51 mm and 5.56*45 mm OFB excaliber mk 2/JVPC rifles for regular infantry and 7.62*39 mm OFB Ghatak/TAR as soon as possible.
Nope..... no cancellation this time..

sthf

Country flag
Wow... what a development, No one is participating. Ab to IWI hi bachi ek tarah se..
Galil Ace has been frontrunner from day 1. Maybe the top dogs like FN & HK felt that the tender has been rigged in favour of IWI.

rishivashista13

Country flag
No no ..... Yaar, no ofb product this time. Should opt for a world class and proven plateform and then modify it as we want via ofb.

AESAHAI

Ray,
I agree with and appreciate the statement that Indian Military refuses to use the domestic made lemons and chooses foreign peaches - however, internal defence production (starting from design, development, testing and manufacturing capabilities) is important for any future large scale war. I think it is also VERY important for national sovereignty that Indian civilian AND military leadership understand this and push/ prod the defense industry into producing usable items and then ACTUALLY use them .... Otherwise, we will be in deep shit if war breaks out one day and we find ourselves sanctioned or cut-off from foreign sources of weapons/ ordnance/ parts.
About time all the High-Brass and Political Pundits of the land including the Politicians themselves and the Beauracratic Babu's understood one thing... to achieve excellence we need to break away from our dependency on corruption and promote the effort to build our competencies from the ground up. To achieve this effectively, we must first recognize and adequately reward the contribution of the Engineers and the other least common denominators of innovation in this supply chain. No more Big house corruption, Incapable interest groups, or sold out media... Instead, the free avavailability of Capital and access to technology for the common Engineers. How does that sound for a start? If only everybody stopped thinking about being included in a KICKBACK economy, which unfortunately is what India has chosen to become. Jai Hind.

AESAHAI

Frustrated! China Man! Whatever we can make or not make... we do not Steal & Copy like you people.. Master of deceit you people are.

We have seen what you can make... those Chinese third grade goods find place in footpath in India... the right place for Chinese goods...

Come up with a Chinese brand name like Toyota, Honda, SONY, FORD, KPMG, the name goes on and on....

Have you chinese people heard of the Music System brand "BOSE" ... incidently the pioneer of that great organization is from my city Kolkata... now figure out...

Sorry to say, but even BOSE is shit!

AESAHAI

As if your British masters can understand what you speak.

Haha... Well said. India is buried under the weight of its own Beauracracy... about time these offices were replaced by men of vision and core competencies...

aghamarshana

Mitron......naacho
Country flag
Sorry to say, but even BOSE is shit!
Yeah!!!For u BOSE is shit coz most of our ppl use earphones 1/10 the the price of BOSE.And u know wat,chinki audio brands including Soni,JVL,BASE,Harmon etc r on sale flat 50% off 300 days a year on our footpaths.BOSE and the other legends r out of Chinki radar.U can copy a device and it's name,but can't copy it's output which is some serious patented tech.Bose is known for it's protectiveness regarding it's in house tech and patents.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles