MMRCA news and discussions.

Whats your Choice for the MMRCA Contest?

• Gripen

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • F16 IN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F18 SH

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mig 35

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Dassault Rafale

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Eurofighter Typhoon

Votes: 20 19.4%

• Total voters

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
^^^
Sorry, i didn't know that it has been posted here before!

Vladimir79

Professional
Lets be honest though about MiG-35 and Russia's chances. Just the other day we thought Airbus was going to be the next tanker and FinMin cut that to pieces in favour of Il-78. It looks like there is a great chance RD-33MK is going to be the new Kaveri engine replacement. RD-33MK is going to be in MiG-35 and India already has license for it. This will give commanality through most of the fighter fleet from IAF to IN. This will save an inordinate amount of money. FinMin is saying "show me the money" and Russia is coming up in spades.

Vladimir79

Professional
And here is an interesting question to ask yourself. Why would they change the RTF for weather mapping radar when they knew Zhuk was the only one with that mode? Sounds to me like somone is trying to give Russia every possible advantage.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Reg RBE 2 AESA specs .

It has got 1000 T/R modules from 2006 itself.

It has got a MTBF of 10 years

It can track a 30 sqft target at 60 Nm while it can track it at 75 Nm

It can track upto 40 targets simultaneously while engaging 8 of them.

for more info

Avionics - June 2009

Vladimir79

Professional
Reg RBE 2 AESA specs .

for more info

Avionics - June 2009
Thanks for those stats... so who would want such a junk radar?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Lets be honest though about MiG-35 and Russia's chances. Just the other day we thought Airbus was going to be the next tanker and FinMin cut that to pieces in favour of Il-78. It looks like there is a great chance RD-33MK is going to be the new Kaveri engine replacement. RD-33MK is going to be in MiG-35 and India already has license for it. This will give commanality through most of the fighter fleet from IAF to IN. This will save an inordinate amount of money. FinMin is saying "show me the money" and Russia is coming up in spades.
To be honest I also feel the same thing. Super Fulcrum on the way :india:

AJSINGH

common , I expected more form you . You had enough of your time.

Just because there is a second variant for the Russian radar , The French one has become inferior? Is it just about naming a variant?

You don't know about the detection range , how many targets it can track and engage , yet your intelligence knows it is inferior.

You proved your intelligence here , nothing else.
okay lets compare the two ASEA radar
Reg RBE 2 AESA specs .

Zhuk-AE can detect aerial targets at ranges up to 130 km (head on) in both look-up or look down modes. Look-up tail-on detection range is 50km (40km look down). The radar can track 30 aerial targets in the track-while-scan mode, and engage eight targets simultaneously in the attack mode.

The radar provides target designation data for various Russian made missiles such as the R-27R1(R1E0, RVV-AE, R-73E, Kh-31A, Kh-35E and R-27T(TE) missiles. The radar can distinguish and count closely flying targets as well as identifying targets with known signatures. Close maneuvering combat mode optimizes the system's performance to provide effective vertical scans, coverage of the HUD field-of view, and slew to follow the helmet sighting angles. Special optimization is also provided in the helicopter detection mode, detecting and attacking slow-flying and hovering targets. In the air/surface mode the radar supports ranging, mapping and tracking of moving targets, The radar supports real-beam, Doppler beam sharpening and focused synthetic aperture modes, offering different map scale expansion, map 'freezing', and tracking of four targets, including ground or sea-surface moving targets. It has a sea-surface search mode. The Zhuk AE can detect a destroyer size target at a range of 200 km.

While this pre-production radar operates at the lower end of the X-band and has a lower transmit receive channel count than Western radars of similar aperture size, it delivers power-aperture performance superior to all but the very latest Western small aperture fighter radars. The Zhuk AE employs lower density liquid cooled quad channel transmit receive module packaging technology which is comparable to first generation US AESA designs.

this is about the next variant of russian radar

FGA-35 which will boast an improved detection range of 200 km with 60 targets tracked, the radar will also support a maximum mapping resolution of 1*1m in air to surface mode. The FGA-35 will feature a 700mm antenna with an increased number of transmit and receive modules to between 1000-1,100, a 20 degree incline and a peak power of 6 kW [7].

there you go , now decide which radar is better , and what i said before that is russian asea radar is better than the french radar
Zhuk radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phazotron Zhuk AE AESA Radar

i have also provided the link
plus russia is offering us help in developing our own aesa radar , that will give significant edge to them

AJSINGH

common , I expected more form you . You had enough of your time.

Just because there is a second variant for the Russian radar , The French one has become inferior? Is it just about naming a variant?

You don't know about the detection range , how many targets it can track and engage , yet your intelligence knows it is inferior.

You proved your intelligence here , nothing else.
from what i read in the later pages of this discussion , russian radar is better .

AJSINGH

French Raffle v/s Mig 35
Maximun speed for rafale - Mach 2
Maximum speed for Mig 35 -Mach 2.2

Thrust to weight ratio for rafale -1.13
Thrust to weight ratio for mig 35 -1.42

Max take off weight for rafale -54000lb
Max take off weigh for Mig 35 -65000lb

TVC offered in mig 35 which makes the aircraft to use minimum runway

Max service celling for rafale 55000ft
Max service celling for Mig 35 57000ft

rounds for the cannon in rafale -125
rounds for the cannon in Mig 35 -150

ols being offered in Mig 35 and not in rafale

weapons on Mig 35
The R-27EP is dangerous because it out-ranges AMRAAM, and you probably won't know it's coming before it's too late. Fortunately, only the Russians (and maybe the Ukrainians) currently have this missile.

The R-27AE is dangerous for the same reasons as the R-27EP plus it won't stop homing if you shut down your radar.
The R-77 is nasty. It is superior to the AMRAAM in range and maneuverability (especially sustained maneuverability). The US currently doesn't have a countermeasure fielded against eh R-77,The R-77 is _better_ than the AMRAAM . It has more kinetic energy and less drag due to its short, low drag, wings and its "trellis" tail surfaces which provide better manuverability than conventional fins. This means that the R-77 is more manueverable (and has more energy over its envelope) than the AMRAAM. This, barring suceptability to ECM, probably makes it better in head-on attacks than the AMRAAM. The R-77 is slated for export (as the RVV-AE). Though Vympel has completed the development of the R-77, Russian defense cuts have (so far) stalled production.

And if that wasn't bad enough there's the R-73, which really has no match in the West, suprpassing AAMs like the AIM-9 in all respects. (The AIM-9X, however, will close the gap somwehat on its introduction- after the year 2000.) The R-73, coupled with the HMD targeting system used on the Su-27 and MiG-29 is a very worrying (and potent) visual range weapons system.
Speaking only of "smarts" the R-77 is probably roughly comparable to the AMRAAM. Both will have no problem with ground clutter in most situations. Both will have the same vulnerability to chaff. The R-77's maneuverability will give it an edge against a jinking target, especially if it was a long range shot. The AMRAAM probably has a slight advantage in ECCM, but both missiles are most effectively countered by the same basic techniques (ECM and expendables). The R-77 on the other hand, has a clear advantage in range.
and Novator k-100 with range of 400km and 300km ..known awacs killer..nothing like that exsist in NATO weaponry

It was recently revealed that Russia is testing a new gliding guided bomb, as well as a new laser-guided bomb.

Russia is currently testing a new laser-guided bomb, the KAB-250L (seen here in the foreground), which is similar in appearance and in characteristics to the US GBU-12 Paveway II LGB.
Photo by Miroslav Gyurosi

The UPAB-1500KR ("izdyelye K-070" or "product K-070") is the first Russian gliding bomb. It was based on the KAB-1500KR guided bomb, with folded wings added to achieve a gliding capability. According to Russian sources, the range of UPAB-1500KR is 50-70 km, when dropped from high altitude and at high speed. The target picture is transmitted from a datalink on the bomb and received by the Raduga (Moscow, Russia) APK-8 datalink pod attached to the fuselage of the host aircraft. When the bomb nears its target, the aircrew marks the target, and the bomb is then attacking it independently, at which point it is locked onto the target.
The other new bomb being tested is the KAB-250L ("izdyelye K-045" or "product K-045") laser-guided bomb (LGB), similar in appearance and in characteristics to the US GBU-12 Paveway II LGB. Although there is not much information available on the KAB-250L, the bomb was recently developed by the FGUP State"s Scientific-Production Entity "Region." It has the same seeker as the KAB-500L/KAB-1500L though in a modernized form. The bomb is controlled by front all-moving surfaces, while the tails are fixed. It is designed for export, as well as for domestic use. Testing of these bombs is being conducted by the 929th State's Aviation Test Center in Akhtubinsk, Russia.
speaking about A2G i agree russia has not much to offer but they are developing SDB..with the help of india...there is a reason why we are investing in russian a2a and a2g weapons ...

StealthSniper

^^^
Sorry, i didn't know that it has been posted here before!

Hey at least you posted a link. This ZHuk is better then RBE is not going anywhere until we have more info. And even then we won't know as much as the Indian airforce knows because most of the stuff is classified. All I know is the Rafale went through technical evaluations so I know for a fact the radar and stuff has been approved. Focus on things we know and not things we don't know.

venkat

Nitesh! no mention of any artillery in the wishlist like 155mm Howitzers ????

AJSINGH

Hey at least you posted a link. This ZHuk is better then RBE is not going anywhere until we have more info. And even then we won't know as much as the Indian airforce knows because most of the stuff is classified. All I know is the Rafale went through technical evaluations so I know for a fact the radar and stuff has been approved. Focus on things we know and not things we don't know.
please read post number 951 for more imformation on the french and russian radar

venkat

Dark! only the mil transport kind of planes have weather radars like primus500 to warn the pilot of stormy clouds on a display up to 200NM. its strange for fighter Radars to have this mode,eventhough it is well with in AESA capability.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles