Military Aircraft Maintenance

Zebra

Country flag
The best would be upgrade existing +200 SU-30MKI from best of west and east and let Tejas form the back bone of IAF ..

Keeping the variety of jets minimum is essential for IAF, To maintain both free-flow of supplies of spares and ease of training of pilots ..
Please tell me, apart of routine maintenance of aircraft, which are the systems that needs frequent repairs and thus needs spares most of the time.

I am asking in general.

pmaitra

Re: Alternatives to Dassault Rafale

Please tell me, apart of routine maintenance of aircraft, which are the systems that needs frequent repairs and thus needs spares most of the time.

I am asking in general.
The most complicated part of the aircraft, i.e. the engine, needs frequent repairs/maintenance, and replacement.

What is the difference between repair and maintenance?

Zebra

Country flag

The most complicated part of the aircraft, i.e. the engine, needs frequent repairs/maintenance, and replacement.

;)

Repairs are works that required or necessary when something not working properly or worn out to the point where a replacement or overhaul is required to maintain its performance.

Whereas maintenance is routine scheduled service, that manufacturers recommends as per their routine.

pmaitra

;)

Repairs are works that required or necessary when something not working properly or worn out to the point where a replacement or overhaul is required to maintain its performance.

Whereas maintenance is routine scheduled service, that manufacturers recommends as per their routine.
What is routine scheduled service? Does it involve replacing worn out or damaged parts to maintain the performance?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Any fighter aircraft goes for a sortie comes down with some fault that is obvious in all Aircraft s, Most repair intensive part is engine and engine related equipments like @pmaitra pointed out, Like fuel pump the numerous fuel lines, Electric cables around and every nut and bolt has to be tightened after every flight ..

I am asking in general.

===================

Their are variation of views in IAF, Based on current developments and doctrines such ideas are outdated ..

I saw the Stratpost Round Table Video ..both Ex Air Force Chief and Air Marshals pointed out one thing

They won't do some Missions with Light Combat Aircraft , and the Heavy fighter Su 30 MKI .

they need something middle of that ..Mirage 2000 Matches well but now another good one there Rafale

also they need that fighter did higher Sorties . can simultaneously change their primary Missions . combat Proven

Last edited by a moderator:

Zebra

Country flag

What is routine scheduled service? Does it involve replacing worn out or damaged parts to maintain the performance?
Now you playing with words. Yeah?

Anyway, let me put in this way.....maintenance = repair and/or routine service.

pmaitra

Now you playing with words. Yeah?

Anyway, let me put in this way.....maintenance = repair and/or routine service.
I am not playing with words. I am just trying to have a conversation so that our ideas can converge, and looks like I have succeeded.

Just one small note: A fighter jet is not a motorcycle or a car. A routine maintenance in a car happens every several thousand miles. In a fighter jet, it happens after every sortie. A routine maintenance in a car does not require replacement of the engine. In a fighter jet, it might be required. When we drive a car, we don't gun the engine. In a fighter jet, the engine is gunned, and thereby, suffers extensive erosion, wear and tear.

I think @Kunal Biswas has explained it very well.

Now, coming back to this post, and the post you quoted therein, the more diversity we have in engines and fighters, the more challenging it becomes to keep these fighters operational. I am not saying we should not get something in between the Sukhoi-30 and the LCA. That is a separate debate altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zebra

Country flag
Military Aircraft Maintenance thread

Dedicated thread for military aircraft maintenance.

Very interesting subject and it will help people to understand who are not in this trade.

I am asking in general.

pmaitra

Broaden it a bit, and include improvisation as well.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles