Making friends with a Great White Shark

Sailor

:australia:
A couple of years ago a fisherman in South Australia came across a four metre Great White caught in a fishing net.
He spent some time cutting it free and finally succeeded.
The shark stayed around his boat until he had to go off home. Not many fish caught that day.
Each time he went out after that the shark would appear and he was amazed that it wanted to thank him for what he did that day.
Photos don't lie and here they are. This proves that even a Great White has feelings and is not just some prehistoric eating machine.

Enjoy these pics like I did.
Sailor

Su-47

Great pics and an awesome story Sailor. Thanks for sharing it.

Pintu

Great Pictures , they are really awesome,

Please post more

Regards

Shiny Capstar

Professional
I dare him to go for a swim with it, no cage just a free dive:D

Great pictures, you got to love em.

Sailor

I dare him to go for a swim with it, no cage just a free dive:D

Great pictures, you got to love em.
That is a very good point Shiny and one that I have thought about myself.
I doubt if he ever took that risk, but I'd sure like to know what the shark would do. Somehow I think it wouldn't hurt him, but it isn't worth the risk to find out.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
That is a very good point Shiney and one that I have thought about myself.
I doubt if he ever took that risk, but I'd sure like to know what the shark would do. Somehow I think it wouldn't hurt him, but it isn't worth the risk to find out.
They are fascinating creatures, really extraordinary behaviour on the shark's part.
I wonder if they tagged it to track it's movements, I want to know if it stays in the same area (perhaps waiting for the boat). Usually they travel a lot and it is very rare for the same white to stay in the same area for years.

Su-47

That is a very good point Shiny and one that I have thought about myself.
I don't think it wants to hurt him. Sharks have tried snatching people from boats. Look at those photos. The shark can easily pull this guy into the water and tear him to ribbons. But it is not doing so. I think he'll be safe with it in the water.

But it will be a totally different story if he starts bleeding from a small wound. Sharks go into a feeding frenzy when they smell blood.

Sailor

Yes Su, I think that too, but it would be one gutsy guy taht jumped in to prove it.
This is a massive prehistoric carnivorous animal and is probably hungry.

Having said all that, I don't think the shark would hurt him. Like all animals in the wild, there is some sort of built in honor that humans lack.

dave lukins

Professional
I would like to know how he 'spent some time' cutting the net off the Great White in the first place.

Sailor

I would like to know how he 'spent some time' cutting the net off the Great White in the first place.
Bloody hell Dave, you have to make waves? The guy is a self employed fisherman who doesn't have to clock on or off.
I'd do it if I was out there. I think it would have been a really neat thing to do.

dave lukins

Professional
Bloody hell Dave, you have to make waves? The guy is a self employed fisherman who doesn't have to clock on or off.
I'd do it if I was out there. I think it would have been a really neat thing to do.

Bloody hell Dave, you have to make waves?................no pun intended :wink:

Not renowned for rolling over and being petted , I was wondering just how close he came to those teeth whilst cutting a net off the body of a rather large thrashing man-eater.

dave lukins

Professional
I saw this NatGeo show about a lioness that used to adopt deer kids, amazing stuff.
I have seen something similar to that where a lioness 'mothered' a fawn. Sadly the male..well you can guess the rest:cray:

Su-47

Honestly, Sailor, I won't. I doubt I'll have the courage to do it. There is a good chance the shark would just snatch me as I'm cutting the net. We can't just assume every shark will be friendly towards every person who frees it.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
But it will be a totally different story if he starts bleeding from a small wound. Sharks go into a feeding frenzy when they smell blood.
Bull sharks are some of the worst regarding frenzies, you can swim with them fine most of the time and even feed them but if they smell blood they will go berserk. No more sedate moping, just killing.

Although with all sharks you have to be very careful even if they seem fine, never turn your back on one. Ever.

Global Defence

Articles