Lockheed Martin to offer F-35 to India ?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Re-posting from another thread. @Immanuel , your thoughts please:-
I really hope someone would give the actual source who said the IAF is pushing for F-35. As far as I can tell, the author of this article is lying through his teeth, or LM is lying. They are most likely misconstruing a statement made by some IAF official. AFAIK, there is no way F-35 is coming to India.

From a technological standpoint F-35 makes sense, 'cause it is a formidable aircraft. But from no other standpoint does this make any sense.
  • It is a medium aircraft => Bye bye AMCA
  • LM won't sell F-35 unless we pull out of FGFA => Bye-bye Rooskie-India "friendship" and bye-bye heavy 5th gen capability
  • There is not going to be any TOT or domestic production (a step back from Su-30 MKI)
  • We will have to purchase substantial number of F-16 first. These are not needed.
  • F-35 will take a lot of time in arriving in India (3000 are on order for other air forces which will be given a higher priority). So our F-35 will only come post-2030. By then we can have AMCA ready for induction with substantial numbers of FGFA/Su-57 MKI already inducted.
  • This will require us to sign CISMOA, and will require regular visits by US officials to keep tabs on whether we are leaking this technology to someone else.
  • Wartime use of F-35 will require approval from US of A.
  • Seriously, if we buy F-35, we are over relying on a very new partnership and a very unstable one. We already have C-17, C-130J, P-8I, Drones, AH-64, CH-47, EMALS, etc. Frankly, I think we are moving way too fast here. We are not taking into account the possibility of a US U-turn on its new-found India-friendliness.
  • When we replace Russian equipment with indigenous one, we hear some angry retorts and some weak tries to sabotage our indigenous projects. Imagine in the long future, a couple of decades later, when we want to replace any American origin equipment with an Indian equivalent, what kind of a PR war campaign do you think the LM and either US defence contractors will start? US can also go so far as to threaten trade barriers for Indian goods in case we don't buy their equipment. And our import-loving air force is certainly going to end up buying a 6th generation American fighter again. We cannot let the Americans march in and destroy the indigenous industry we are trying to incubate.
  • The Americans look at us as cash cows and a frontline state to reign in Chinese influence so that they can keep their influence supreme. By offering us their wares with obvious strings attached, they plan to sabotage our indigenous capability. This kills two birds with one stone: the only two countries capable of challenging American hegemony (India and China) are taken care of.
I don't think this BS will fly, but if it does, I am going to loose all hope in this country. Seriously.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rafale is a good jet. But its expensive as hell we cant afford them in large numbers. Dont know why fanboys dreaming for 100+ rafales. Also anil ambani is a suspicious character in this rafale saga.

Will buy only 36 Rafales, no need for 126: Parrikar
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...36-rafales-no-need-for-126/article7268264.ece
Read this:-
#Rafale Deal Facts !
Did you know that the cost of 1 Rafale Single Seater which India is buying is just 92 Million USD and Double Seater 95 Million USD, and not outrageous 250+ million USD ?
Yes , the cost of 36 Rafale Aircraft is just 43% of the total deal, rest is India Specific Upgrades , Weapons, Training , Infrastructure, Offsets, etc .
https://www.facebook.com/IADnews/
If we order a further 36 Rafale, it is not going to hurt us so much, and the IAF requirement of 126 MMRCA will be almost taken care of (72 MMRCA are enough if the IAF tries to make do with it for a couple of years until AMCA arrives as the next generation MMRCA). AFAIK, this follow-up order is contingent on the French promise to make Kaveri fit for Tejas.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Rafale is a good jet. But its expensive as hell we cant afford them in large numbers. Dont know why fanboys dreaming for 100+ rafales. Also anil ambani is a suspicious character in this rafale saga.

Will buy only 36 Rafales, no need for 126: Parrikar
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...36-rafales-no-need-for-126/article7268264.ece
At least 72 Rafales are coming- this is baked into the original deal, the 2 Rafale Bases being set up in India are being created to house 2 SQNs each.

The follow on 36 Rafales will be ordered in 2019/20 so that there will be no break in deliveries post 2022. It’s possible this deal will be for 54 jets in fact.

Ambani has little to do with the Rafales.

All additional Rafales will be 30-40% cheaper than the first batch of jets because customisation and training costs will not be replicated.

There are big plans going on behind the scenes with the French vis a vis the Kaveri and more Rafales.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This analysis is so short term in nature.

A paper advantage over PLAAF for maybe half a decade means what? So a 5th gen fighter can only be countered by another 5th gen fighter? Why isn’t there a scramble to induct 5th gen jets? Why are F35 orders being cut? Why is Russia stalling PAK FA development?

Besides Chinese have blue prints of the F35 that they stole years ago, these lessons will be built into their platforms in the future.

And we all know F35 is only being floated by LM to sweeten the pot for F16, there is ZERO offer of f35, it is a fiction created by certain people in the media.

Not only will India not be allowed to reverse engineer the f35 but doing so would harm India’s image and access to high tech in the future. This isn’t a credible Solution

5th gen is inevitable. We are similarly situated now in the late 70's when the USAF started inducted the 4th gen teen series. The USSR had to respond or their 3rd gen Mig 21 were at a srvere disadvantage.

Now the US has again lead the way in inducting 5th gen platforms. China has already responded while Russia is struggling to respond. But all majoe air forces have no doubt that aircraft technology has already moved ahead and that existing 4th and so called 4.5 gen platforms are at a severe disadvantage. South Korea, Japan, Europe, Turkey are all trying to develop 5th gen platforms. But will they succeed? It remains to be seen.

If you see 5th gen orders being reduced it's because of budgetary pressures not because major air forces have come to the conclusion that souped up 4th gen, the so called 4.5 gen, are adequate against 5th gen platforms. Russia is a prime example. Don't listen to their leaders' claim that SU-35 is enough to take on the F-35, their being disingenuous. They simply do not have the resources to proceed with the development and induction of PAKFA.

Among major air forces that can buy F-35s, US allies, their military leadets are clearly signalling that they want 5th gen platforns, which the US can only give them at the moment. It's again budgeyary pressures and some politics that's preventing some of these countries from going ahead in acquiring F-35.

China, which in many ways is the present USSR against the US is charging ahead with the induction of 5th gen fighters. They are going ahead with 5th gen which will tilt significantly the balance of power in their favor against their neighbors.

I agree though that at the moment F-35 may not be on offer yet to India due to the issues you mentioned. But the ball is in India's court.

Immanuel

Country flag
126 F-35 With weapons, customisations, training, bases and local assembly is easily >$50bn.

Rafale numbers are going to be >100 for sure

Without CISMOA, BECA and dozens of other bilateral agreements F35 will never be sold to India. If India rejects this then it won’t be granted access, the US ripped out a lot of gear from the c130 and C17s, the f35 as a next gen fighter aircraft is FAR more advanced with much more complex gear that won’t be transferred to India without such agreements.

The sales of C-17, p8, apache etc are all in a different category to the f35. F35 is a strategic asset and a massive amount of work will have to go on to get them cleared by both sides.

Final assembly of the US’s frontline stealth aircraft in a nation that’s not a NATO or treaty ally with US is crazy talk.

2023 timelines are crazy, it will take over a decade to even come to an agreement on the deal if started today. There isn’t even a requirement for this aircraft yet so at best talks begin in 2021.
Knowing IAF very well, they will probably by another 36 Rafales last minute around 2025 when the Rafale line is about to close, for exorbitant prices. Till then they'll dangle about. I see Rafale as a perfect Jaguar replacement. Currently only 60 Jag are slated for upgrades and the older ones will slowly be phased out and eventually we need 72-90 Rafales to replace them, which can be done by 2030. I don't see Rafale or SH having a good chance in the IN if the F-35 ends up being discussed. Actually for IN & IAF, there isn't a better choice than the F-35. IN can easily operate the F-35B from INS Vikky, IAC-1 and future LPDs while operating the F-35B/C from IAC-2. They would provide IN a level of flexibility that it has never had but always wanted, it can base the F-35B on shore or on LPDs or one of the Carriers and use it for a wide ranging set of ops from beach assaults to shore defense to assault on enemy ships. IN can actually drop the need for a Naval LCA which for them adds no value. While IAF can easily use 15 sqds of LCA mk1A and LCA mk-2.

I agree that FGFA and F-35 buys don't go together, If IAF is interested now in the F-35 it's probably because of failing talks on the FGFA. We can't buy both, we'd have to choose one or the other. Why do you say there isn't a requirement for this aircraft. IAF currently does have a requirement for an imported SEF and F-35 fits this bill quite nicely.

Sorry but your assumptions about price are completely baseless, incorrect and far from real facts. Based on deal values of current F-35 offers across various contests, this figure will be far less, I reckon we can get 126 F-35 As for well between 27-30 Billion roughly the same cost of the Rafale under MRCA. I also agree that we won't get full-tot but we aren't getting it for PAKFA either. We can at best hope for 25-30% TOT on critical items to keep fleet flying. However local final assembly would available.

Again without CISMOA, BECA and other agreements, India did and continues to buy plenty of platforms from the US, so you're being silly at best. I always say, don't say never, you will always end up seeing exactly what you thought would never happen, happen. Not signing CISMOA or BECA will only mean that our F-35s will have home made datalinks, comms, IFFs which is perfectly fine. You forget 126 F-35A with options for more is very big dangling carrot and it would be silly of LM or USG to overlook it especially when de-risking the F-35 further only stabilizes the program more. Yet, I am also a realist as said, it would be a good litmus test for Indo-Us relations. India is too big or powerful for it to be contained as a treaty or NATO ally, the only way forward is a strong strategic partnership.

C-17 (is a strategic airlift aircraft), C-130J is the premier aircraft for SF (SF are strategic assets) deployments, P-8I is IN's prime maritime long range recon and attack platform designed to kill track & pesky Chinki and Puki subs (these pose a bigger threat than any fighter in their inventory because most of our Naval assets don't have ATAS), Apaches are strategic assets in their own rights with 22 on order for IAF and another 39 coming for IA (to be used by Strike corps for punitive strikes deep into enemy heartland). S-70 or MH-60 will most likely win the 100+ Naval Medium helo deal (these will the primary assets for naval recon, SF movements and sub hunting)

To suggest that these are by any means less important or strategic or useful than fighters is silly. The last time IAF shot a bird down using a fighter in anger was in 1999 (18 years ago) when it shot down the Puki Atlantique. The last time IAF used C-17 and C-130s was as early as August last year for flood relief where hundreds if not thousands were helped.

Delays occur in deals which are competitive. A F-35 deal would have to be G2G one and then things can go on pretty quick, check C-17, C-130J, Apache and Chinook deals, all done is decent timelines, it didn't take generations. By 2023 LM will be churning out 160 F-35s a year. If talks began now, we could conclude an agreement by 2022/23 and we could easily see the first F-35s landing in 2025/26 well in the timelines of the imported SEF. The massive amount of work required for such a deal is not an excuse not to undertake the work. If an imported SEF is a must than there isn't a better aircraft than the F-35.

Immanuel

Country flag
At least 72 Rafales are coming- this is baked into the original deal, the 2 Rafale Bases being set up in India are being created to house 2 SQNs each.

The follow on 36 Rafales will be ordered in 2019/20 so that there will be no break in deliveries post 2022. It’s possible this deal will be for 54 jets in fact.

Ambani has little to do with the Rafales.

All additional Rafales will be 30-40% cheaper than the first batch of jets because customisation and training costs will not be replicated.

There are big plans going on behind the scenes with the French vis a vis the Kaveri and more Rafales.
Rafale deal was for 36 aircraft with options for 18 more at the same price (this is real fact), now unless there are any more real facts, this idea that another 36 will be ordered is not sure and that they will be at a lower price is not a guarantee. They might be 30% cheaper at best since the biggest cost factor for the initial deal of 36 was still flyways and service costs. Infra build up, india spec. add ons and training etc. was around 30% of cost.

The rest is non sense from we know who. These big plans with Kaveri, and more Rafales or even imported SEF etc. won't happen without any increases in this dismal budget.

Immanuel

Country flag
I say again buying the F-35 over PAKFA won't affect Indo-Russian relations, heck the loss of the PAKFA deal is squarely on them. However we do have great deal of work going on with Russia for S-400, Brahmos, Frigates etc.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Rafale deal was for 36 aircraft with options for 18 more at the same price
Wait, was the option of 18 more or 36 more? I would be pissed with GoI if it was for 18 more only.

AnantS

Country flag
A ridiculous claim, facts are that US made aircraft currently in IAF and IN inventory enjoy some of the highest availability rates and continue to prove their reliability. C-17s, C-130s and P-8I are doing a stellar job and orders for P-8I will eventually double or even triple, more C-130s could also be ordered. With 22 apaches on order and an additional 39 could be ordered for IA and 15 Chinooks etc. There is hardly any indication that any of these will be hanger queens as far as the services are concerned.

Please stop posting non sense based on baseless theories. Any relationship can be a mixed bag including the one we share with Russia, Israel or France.

With India and US being democracies, the relationship will gradually stabilize to a point where we can agree to agree on some things and agree to disagree on others while maintaining friendly strategic relations.
Put down your rosy ray ban glasses and stop licking american lollipop . Can you tell me if India decides to test NUke what happens? Or Ask DRDO fellows if they got needed actuators/components for Rustom recently which seems to be repeat of Moog actuator saga of LCA when India was under sanction. Ask ADA and LCA developers how US India coperations(on which INdia had high hope )floundered when India tested nukes.

Sorry given China will never replace soviet union in engaging new cold war with US, given US is hooked to cheap labour of China. India and US will see push and pull in relationships. We will cooperate on few security issues, disagree and dispute a lot on trade issues. Given this situation and history US will be viewed as unreliable for near future. I doubt there will be a bulk strategic equipment be sourced from US in future.

There is no ... I repeat NO alternative to INdia having to stand on its feet. suckling on Russia or expecting America to Nurse you wil lead to India to exactly a similar place to Pakistan in future..

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

.......................................iaf denied report of f35................…........

captscooby81

Country flag
I am not even able to understand why these long discussions we are having about F-35 orders..

Remember Donald Trump won the election on the Plank of "Make American Great Again" Not Make In India ..He is already quoting every time and again how american companies are coming back to USA and setting up more production plants and creating jobs ..Now How absurd it will sound if he agrees to sell F-35 to india and that too with a production line in india seriously why would they even think about loosing 100-500 odd assembly jobs to india when their entire issues i jobs ..I don t know see any chance of any make in india deal with US getting signed till Trump is in office ..And if Killary comes to power then kiss our dreams good bye for any progress with defence deals...

We may be far behind the curve and at the start of wheel its better we start it ourselves rather thinking someone is going to gift us technology and everything on a silver platter just because we are going to order big number of F-35s...

Immanuel

Country flag
Put down your rosy ray ban glasses and stop licking american lollipop . Can you tell me if India decides to test NUke what happens? Or Ask DRDO fellows if they got needed actuators/components for Rustom recently which seems to be repeat of Moog actuator saga of LCA when India was under sanction. Ask ADA and LCA developers how US India coperations(on which INdia had high hope )floundered when India tested nukes.

Sorry given China will never replace soviet union in engaging new cold war with US, given US is hooked to cheap labour of China. India and US will see push and pull in relationships. We will cooperate on few security issues, disagree and dispute a lot on trade issues. Given this situation and history US will be viewed as unreliable for near future. I doubt there will be a bulk strategic equipment be sourced from US in future.

There is no ... I repeat NO alternative to INdia having to stand on its feet. suckling on Russia or expecting America to Nurse you wil lead to India to exactly a similar place to Pakistan in future..
So by buying 12 P-8I with future orders upto 30 for IN, 11 C-17s, 12 C-130Js, 22 Apache now with another 39 eventually, 145 M777 guns, or the massive GE LM2500 gas turbines for the IAC-1 potentially 100+S-70S you mean to say IN & IAF are sucking US lollipop too ? IAF just asked for over 100 armed drones and IN too needs 22 for recon. The tanker competition will be between KC-46 & A-330. We're about to have hundreds of F414 engines for the LCA mk-2 and the same number fo F404IN for LCA MK-1A, F414 or a variant will power the AMCA prototypes.

WTF are you even talking about when you say there aren't going to be strategic purchases from the US in the future? Meanwhile the operational birds in this list have among the highest availability, reliability in the IAF & IN. So Babaji, why don't you focus on your own future since you have little idea how strategically intertwined India/US already are. The future of Indo/US relations is a strong one. It's a relationship that will mature over time. If we have to build, develop everything ourselves, we'd have to wait a long long time. Let's be honest, it appears we can't even build a modern assault rifle that our own IA would accept after trials or the IAF for nearly a decade decided to be a bastardly parent to the LCA and let's not even get started with the Arjun or the Kaveri

Till a certain type of attitude changes in the armed forces, buying such things from other countries including the US is inevitable and during this process we have to foster good relations including with the US. Their products will be part of every major competitve deal, they'll win some they'll loose some but buying or importing a variety of arms from other countries including US is inevitable. Perhaps in 30 years we can have 70-80% localized products. For us to be completely rid of any imports you'd have to wait 50 years and have strict rules for the armed forces only to accept local products but this won't happen. An open competitive market don't work that way.

Immanuel

Country flag
I am not even able to understand why these long discussions we are having about F-35 orders..

Remember Donald Trump won the election on the Plank of "Make American Great Again" Not Make In India ..He is already quoting every time and again how american companies are coming back to USA and setting up more production plants and creating jobs ..Now How absurd it will sound if he agrees to sell F-35 to india and that too with a production line in india seriously why would they even think about loosing 100-500 odd assembly jobs to india when their entire issues i jobs ..I don t know see any chance of any make in india deal with US getting signed till Trump is in office ..And if Killary comes to power then kiss our dreams good bye for any progress with defence deals...

We may be far behind the curve and at the start of wheel its better we start it ourselves rather thinking someone is going to gift us technology and everything on a silver platter just because we are going to order big number of F-35s...
Having a final assembly line In India won't result in any job losses, since we know we can't expect more than 25% TOT and majority of the parts come from the US and other global suppliers anyways. Moreso, with an order book of over 2500 aircraft in US alone, the line will be busy with or without Indian orders, they'll be churning out fighters one almost on daily basis. Actually if we were talk for the next 5 years and order the F-35 for deliveries starting in 2027/28, the USAF,USN & USMC would have to accept some delays in it's own delievries and 10-12 delivery slots in a year would have to be freed up.
You should know by now how 'far behind the curve' products are treated by the armed forces.
Killary won't be elected Dag catcher, that disgusting bitch will fall dead one of these days coughing.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles