ISRO General News and Updates

kurup

Country flag
yes .

i am reposting what you posted..

CE-50 is a cryogenic engine.. i think wiki made a mistake and quoted it as semi cryo.. if it was semi cryo.. the engine would have been called SCE-50.. Plus in that post wiki said four stages which is wrong , there will be just three stages .I think it counted the solid booster stage separately..

what you posted has been mentioned in the picture which @Indx TechStyle had posted on this page .look at the rocket on lower right, thats HLV.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isro-news-and-updates.33401/page-113
The image shows C50 not CE50 .

C50 means a Cryogenic Stage with 50 tons of fuel and oxidizer .

So wiki is wrong on both counts ..... Neither is the stage semi-cryogenic nor is it powered by a 50 tonne thrust Cryogenic Engine .

IIRC , after CE20 , ISRO is planning on developing CE60 based on staged combustion cycle .

now regarding two cryo stages..look at the image.its a slide from a presentation by some ISRO rocket developer..

not clear but the rocket on third is HLV .the second image from left is of CRYO engine from there two green lines are pointing to the second and thrid stages of HLV which means two cryo stages

i am waiting for @Indx TechStyle to confirm this C-50 confusion..
If anybody gets hand on the actual presentation slides of this one , please mention me .

kurup

Country flag
No, S250 is Cryogenic First Stage of HLV. S200 second and C50 will be third, the cryogenic upper stage of that rocket (correct me, if I'm wrong).
@Akask kumar
S stands for Solid ..... So S250 will be a Solidrocket booster ..... not Cryogenic Stage .

I just stumbled in this info on a number of forums. Though, I can't authenciate it.

Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle concepts

ISRO have carried out study of 4 different concepts of HLV to date . These are explained below in random order .

Concept-1

Payload Capacity : 25 tons to LEO (10 tons to GTO)

A Heavy lift Launch Vehicle capable of placing up to 10 ton class of spacecrafts into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit is currently under study by a project team. This new generation launch vehicle will derive its propulsion modules from LVM3 as well as from new developments, which include :

1) semi cryogenic booster stage, SC200
2) larger solid strap on boosters as compared to S200 used in LVM3 (S250) and
3) a larger cryogenic upper stage (C50).

Welcome to VIKRAM SARABHAI SPACE CENTRE - Heavy Lift Launcher

Concept-2&3

Concept 2&3 together was supposed to carry out a human mission to moon . It was first shown in a presentation by ISRO at the IAC 2009 .

Concept-2 = Crew Launch Vehicle
* Architecture - 4 S230 + SC500 + C60
* Liftoff weight - 1690 tons
* Capability - 31 tons to Low Earth Orbit
* Payload - Crew Module (6 tons) + Service Module (25 tons)

Concept-3 = Carge Launch Vehicle
* Architecture - 8 S230 + SC800 + C60
* Liftoff weight - 3075 tons
* Capability - 84 tons to Low Earth Orbit
* Payload - Earth Departure Stage (67 tons) + Lunar Descent Module (17 tons)
SuperNova: Indian Moon Rockets: First Look

Concept-4

Single LV capable of Lunar Man Mission with payload capacity of 100tons to LEO

This looks like a single LV capable of replacing two LV of concept-2&3

SuperNova: ISRO Heavy Lift Vehicle
My post on HLV still doing rounds .... :biggrin2:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isro-news-and-updates.33401/page-26#post-1043663

Akask kumar

If anybody gets hand on the actual presentation slides of this one , please mention me .
i think thats the best we have. we all are looking for someone to post clear slides from long time.. i know about the presentation video , its on youtube.. the video link is in the thread but i dnt know the page number

Akask kumar

No, S250 is Cryogenic First Stage of HLV. S200 second and C50 will be third, the cryogenic upper stage of that rocket (correct me, if I'm wrong).
S250 is SRB.
first stage is semicryo powered by SCE-200
second stage is cryo with C-50 (cryo tank 50 tonne fuel) powered by CE-20(engines)[ twin engines ]
third stage is also cryo C-10( cryo tank 10 tonne fuel) powered by CE-20

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
"Launch Vehicles and Space Propulsion - Preselective and Trends" by S. Somnath
It's from the Director of ISRO's Liquid Propulsion System Centre.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isro-news-and-updates.33401/page-102#post-1208974
S250 is SRB.
first stage is semicryo powered by SCE-200
second stage is cryo with C-50 (cryo tank 50 tonne fuel) powered by CE-20(engines)[ twin engines ]
third stage is also cryo C-10( cryo tank 10 tonne fuel) powered by CE-20
Thanks, and here's from @kurup 's post I guess.

Akask kumar

S stands for Solid ..... So S250 will be a Solidrocket booster ..... not Cryogenic Stage .

My post on HLV still doing rounds .... :biggrin2:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/isro-news-and-updates.33401/page-26#post-1043663
that post of urs clears all the doubt and confusion related .. amazing i have bookmarked for future reference..

what i see there are following versions of HLV based on LVM3

2SRB+1 SC +2CRYO
4SRP+1SC+1CRO
8SRB+1SC+1CRYO
4SRB+2SC+1Cryo..

keep on varying the sizes of tank to carry different payload from 25 tonnes LEO to 100 tonnes to LEO.. DAMN!!

all we have to do is make tanks of difference capacities..

Akask kumar

republic_roi97

Country flag
Ok, so this is what it is :-
"S-" series of boosters are solid fueled
"SCE-" and series are semi-cryo
"C-" series is for cryo

That would mean S-250 is larger solid rocket booster. I rest mt case mylord.

shiphone

Country flag
"C-" series is for cryo
if more precisely...

'CE','SCE'is for engines. CE-20 means 200 KN class cryo engine and SCE-200 means 2000 KN class semi-cyro engine.

'S,C,SC,L' are used naming stages...the number after that means the mass of Propellant in the stage...
normally on Indian launch vehicle, one stage uses one engine.so the 3rd stage of LVM-3:C-25 is a cryo stage containing one CE-20 engine with around 25 tons Propellant (LH2/LOX in this case). the coming SC-160 stage is a semi-cyro stage powered by a SCE-200 engine with around 160 tons Propellant...and so on...
the 2nd stage of LVM-3 : L-110 satge might be ISRO's first try of Engine parallel/clustering tech (two engines in one stage). 'L'= toxic liquid Propellant which is well-known.
Solid rocket's thrust specific normally is decided by the diameter, more segments of propellant grain in a stage means more gross thrust.

Last edited:

republic_roi97

Country flag
if more precisely...

'CE','SCE'is for engines. CE-20 means 200 KN class cryo engine and SCE-200 means 2000 KN class semi-cyro engine.

'S,C,SC,L' are used naming stages...the number after that means the mass of Propellant in the stage...
normally on Indian launch vehicle, one stage uses one engine.so the 3rd stage of LVM-3:C-25 is a cryo stage containing one CE-20 engine with around 25 tons Propellant (LH2/LOX in this case). the coming SC-160 stage is a semi-cyro stage powered by a SCE-200 engine with around 160 tons Propellant...and so on...
the 2nd stage of LVM-3 : L-110 satge might be ISRO's first try of Engine parallel/clustering tech (two engines in one stage). 'L'= toxic liquid Propellant which is well-known.
Solid rocket's thrust specific normally is decided by the diameter, more segments of propellant grain in a stage means more gross thrust.
Thanks for making things clear.

Akask kumar

if more precisely...

:clap2:.......................................................................................................................

kurup

Country flag
"C-" series is for cryo

That would mean S-250 is larger solid rocket booster. I rest mt case mylord.
Right .

SC = Semicryogenic Stage
SCE = Semicryogenic Engine

C or CS = Cryogenic Stage ..... CUS = Cryogenic Upper Stage
CE = Cryogenic Engine

S = Solid Stage

L = Liquid Stage

kurup

Country flag
if more precisely...

In case of engines the numerals indicate tonnes of thrust produced .

So CE-20 becomes a Cryogenic Engine producing 20 tonnes of thrust which is ~ 200KN .

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Mechanisms play vital role in aerospace technology: ISRO chief
PTI Friday, November 18, 2016
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 18 (PTI) ISRO Chairman A S Kiran Kumar today said mechanisms play a vital role in aerospace technology and asked the scientific community to concentrate more on the modelling and analysis of the complex systems for better prediction of flight performance.
"A large number of mechanisms are being operated in different stages of launch vehicle and each of them need to work satisfactorily for its successful performance," he said. He was speaking after inaugurating the Aerospace and Related Mechanisms Seminar (ARMS 2016), organized by Indian National Society for Aerospace & Related Mechanisms (INSARM), through video conference here.
"Today, mechanisms play a very important role in our activities. If we take the launch vehicles, we have a large number of mechanisms which operate right from the launching pad," he said. "Similarly, if we look at satellites, there are also large number of mechanisms which are involved...whether it is antenna deployment mechanism or the solar panel deployment mechanism," he said.
He said young engineers need to come up with innovative solutions for problems in the changing world and should concentrate more on modeling and analysis of complex systems for better prediction of flight performance.
Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre Director Dr K Sivan stressed that cost-effective, autonomous and reliable space systems were the need of the hour and asked the scientific community to strive towards this aim.
He also spoke of the vital role that mechanisms could play for future missions like the "human in space programme" and other inter-planetary missions that are in the pipeline.
S Somanath, Director, Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre, Tessy Thomas, Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory and S Rakesh, CMD, Antrix were among those who took part in the programme.
Five INSARM awards, including Life Time achievement awards and Young Scientist awards, were given away during the function. An exhibition, arranged by leading industries in the country along with various entities of ISRO, was also inaugurated as part of the seminar. The two-day event, attended by more than 300 technocrats, engineers and scientists from across the country, would conclude here tomorrow.
PTI LGK BN GVS

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO to launch satellites in tie-up with industries
Nagpur: Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman AS Kiran Kumar said it plans to launch 10-12 satellites every year in "synergetic partnership" with the industry to make it a "win-win situation for both partners" and "boost India's great potential to capture a sizeable portion" of the business in the international space market.
"With enhanced use of space technology by various stakeholders like government departments, public sector units (PSUs) and private organizations, it has become imperative to make spacecraft systems through industries," he said.
Kumar added that ISRO would soon launch Aditya-L1, a scientific mission for solar studies. "The major objective is to study solar corona and achieve fundamental understanding of physical processes that heat the corona, accelerate solar wind and produce coronal mass ejection (CMEs)."
Aditya-L1 would be put into halo orbit which is 1.5 million km from the Earth. It would carry additional six payloads with enhanced science scope and objectives. Scheduled to be launched in 2019-20 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, the spacecraft "aims to answer fundamental questions in solar physics by studying dynamic processes on the Sun".
Speaking about ISRO's milestones, the Padma Shri recipient said it recently put seven Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) satellites in "geostationary and geosynchronous orbits", thereby completing the constellation.
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman AS Kiran Kumar said it plans to launch 10-12 satellites every year in "synergetic partnership" with the industry.
Speaking about ISRO's milestones, the Padma Shri recipient said it recently put seven Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) satellites in "geostationary and geosynchronous orbits".
"The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) is an independent regional navigation system. It has applications in terrestrial, aerial and marine navigation, disaster management, vehicle tracking and fleet management, integration with mobile phones, precise timing, mapping and geodetic data capture, terrestrial navigation aid for hikers and travellers and visual/ voice navigation for drivers," he said.
Kumar said that India is now rated as one of the top six countries having end-to-end capability in space technology.
On September 26, ISRO launched SCATSAT-1 along with seven co-passenger satellites into two different orbits. "This PSLV mission was the longest conducted till date and completed in two hours and 15 minutes. The data sent by it will help in providing weather forecasting to user communities through the generation of wind vector products as well as cyclone detection and tracking."
Kumar said INSAT with 14 of its satellites in orbit, was one of the largest satellite communication systems in the world. "INSAT satellites made the country self-sufficient in telecommunications, television broadcasting, radio networking, meteorology and disaster management services. A communication satellite GSAT-18, weighing 3404kg, was launched on October 6. It carries 48 communication transponders for providing communication services."
About the rapid progress made by the country, the ISRO chief said India established itself globally, having mastered the precision technologies in sending spacecrafts to Moon and Mars. "The Mars Orbiter Mission is operating well beyond the planned orbital life and continues to provide valuable data of Martian surface and its atmosphere. India made a significant contribution to the global astronomy community by placing a space observatory ASTROSAT, which enables simultaneous multi-wavelength, from ultraviolet to X-Ray, observations of stars and galaxies, to enhance understanding of universe and astronomical phenomena."
OVER THE MOON
* Launching seats with industry will be win-win situation for govt too
* Aditya-L1 to be launched for solar studies
* To study solar corona and understand processes that heat the corona, accelerate solar wind and produce coronal mass ejection
* To be put into halo orbit, is 1.5 million km from the Earth
* To carry additional 6 payloads with enhanced science scope and objectives
* Scheduled to be launched in 2019-20

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles