India's own AESA Radars....dream to reality

Sea Eagle

media is always a problem...but I don't think someone would make such simple mistake
------------------------------------------------
Arudhra MPR Is EL/M-2084 MMR: Seeing Is Believing

TRISHUL: Arudhra MPR Is EL/M-2084 MMR: Seeing Is Believing

--------------------------------------
in the obove TOI report, the following is mentioned...

actually ,I remember we read such news report by another famous Defence correspondent in that June...

PHOTOS: IAF Inducts Israel-built Medium Power Radar

Its the Arudhra MPR not the Low Level Radar. The LLR and Ashwini radar was unvieled in Defense Expo 2014

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ah, Don`t try to portrait it as a cloning as Chinese way, More over don`t post blog entries as facts ..

This system is Indian design which is based on EL/M-2084, We paid for ToT ;)

but I don't think someone would make such simple mistake, -----------------------------------------------

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ground >

LRDE(DRDO)-BEL's Medium Power Radar Arudhra (AESA, 4D, S-Band), said to have a range of 300 Km against fighter sized targets.

LRDE(DRDO)-BEL's Low Level Tracking Radar Arudhra (AESA, 4D, S-Band), said to have a range of 150 Km against fighter sized targets.
==============================
==============================

Lurk and post, Blog showing actually Israeli radar not Indian ..

Compare the photos posted above with below the once you are coping from blog ..

media is always a problem...but I don't think someone would make such simple mistake
------------------------------------------------

TRISHUL: Arudhra MPR Is EL/M-2084 MMR: Seeing Is Believing

--------------------------------------
in the obove TOI report, the following is mentioned...

actually ,I remember we read such news report by another famous Defence correspondent in that June...

PHOTOS: IAF Inducts Israel-built Medium Power Radar

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Fourth dimension is velocity.. first three are range , azimuth and elevation :)
Oh I thought it was time since 4D in maths or physics is usually time along with 3d components(l,b,h).However we are talking of radars so things are different.Thanks for sharing this info.:thumb:

shiphone

Country flag
Ah, Don`t try to portrait it as a cloning as Chinese way, More over don`t post blog entries as facts ..

This system is Indian design which is based on EL/M-2084, We paid for ToT ;)
funny...some MOD began to play double standard game again , you'd better pay more attention to the FACTs than my nationality which would bring more healthy and constructive disscussion here...To be honest, I thought I'm accepting and collecting the same news, reports, and information as you, and I have some good memory and From time to time, I would find some 'conflict' between the news and info...what I did is to point out the 'conflict' to find what is the truth, nothing more...you miss the point.

as Prasun K. Sengupta (Trishul Blogger) said. Seeing Is Believing

-------------------

More over don`t post blog entries as facts
1. you are quoting the pix from the same BLOG site ---Trishul.... that would be very ironic, and should I search your 23596 posts as well to check if you obey the same rule set by yourself??

2. actually we could dig more interesting stuff in this blog...
Eg. on DEFO 2014 ,the official introduction from DRDO posted by the same blogger...DRDO has a radar project named as ARUDHRA

the conflict is here: in Shiv Aroor's report in June 2011 -- PHOTOS: IAF Inducts Israel-built Medium Power Radar .
read the tablet inscription please... " the first ARUDHRA Radar", so the ELM2084 IN IAF has the codename: ARUDHRA

this is a puzzled info for me since this Feb , and the cooked(?) TOI news in June 2011 quoted by the honorable Mod
"This radar has been developed by the Electronic & Radar Development Organisation of DRDO. It has been inducted to replace the ageing TRS-2215 and PSM-33 radars on the inventory of IAF. The radar is a state-of- art technology capable of detecting targets at ranges greater than 300 km and it is an important component in IAF plans to achieve net centric operations. The radar would strengthen air defence in the Saurashtra-Kutch region," defence spokesperson S D Goswami said.
that's why I said:
you miss the point again ,and volunteered for the "someone" here...
-----------------------------------

This system is Indian design which is based on EL/M-2084, We paid for ToT
your source is welcomed ...

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lets do this simply, Shall we .........

Your picture quoted from the blog does not match with the picture i posted, Even the very post which i am quoted of yours proves my point ..

As for Mr Sengupta, He counter his own points time to time, Therefore dont feel butthurt, If i am pointing your ways ..

funny...some MOD began to play double standard game again , you'd better pay more attention to the FACTs than my nationality which would bring more healthy and constructive disscussion here...To be honest, I thought I'm accepting and collecting the same news, reports, and information as you, and I have some good memory and From time to time, I would find some 'conflict' between the news and info...what I did is to point out the 'conflict' to find what is the truth, nothing more...

as Prasun K. Sengupta (Trishul Blogger) said. Seeing Is Believing

-------------------

1. you are quoting the pix from the same BLOG site ---Trishul.... that would be very ironic, and should I search your posts as well to check if you obey the same rule set by yourself??

2. actually we could dig more interesting stuff in this blog...

Eg. on DEFO 2014 ,the official introduction from DRDO posted by the same blogger...DRDO has a radar project named as ARUDHRA

the conflict is here: in Shiv Aroor's report in June 2011 -- PHOTOS: IAF Inducts Israel-built Medium Power Radar .

read the tablet inscription please... " the first ARUDHRA Radar", so the ELM2084 IN IAF has the codename: ARUDHRA

-----------------------------------

your source is welcomed ...

Sea Eagle

:dude:
The models along with details displayed at DefenseExpo... Anyone could take pictures so he isn't the only one with these pictures..

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
Lets do this simply, Shall we .........

Your picture quoted from the blog does not match with the picture i posted, Even the very post which i am quoted of yours proves my point ..

As for Mr Sengupta, He counter his own points time to time, Therefore dont feel butthurt, If i am pointing your ways ..
that's related to the TOI news quoted by you in Post #17(and I add something in POST 26, )

what's my way??--- I respect and talk about the facts not the empty words and imagination. and I don't like double standard game. I'm afraid you feel the hurt when volunteer for the "someone" mistakenly

Last edited:

Sea Eagle

IAF ordered 27 MPRs
19 from Israel [Elta 2284] and 8 from DRDO [Arudhra]

The DRDO and IAF named both radars Arudhra.
First Israeli radar was delivered in 2011 [The one that TOI reported].
No tot was given but offsets per DPP

The Drdo Arudhra development started in 2010 end with Three years development time.
The Trials are ongoing and induction this year or by next year

The DRDO radar range (400 Km) performance, features > Israeli MPR (300 Km)

Sea Eagle

IAF also ordered 37 Low Level Transportable Radars (LLTR) :

19 Thales GSM-100 and 18 Ashwini LLTR

The AESA radar has a range of 150km for small fighter class.

6 GSM-100 were delivered by Thales and the rest 13 will be manufactured in India with TOT at BEL.

Ashwini is undergoing trials..

Thanks @Archer

Last edited by a moderator:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Fourth dimension is velocity.. first three are range , azimuth and elevation :)
ya true. It will be greatest discovery of time describing in dimension cause it will give us the dream inception of many scientist ie TIME MACHINE

sam29

Country flag
Do start a thread if you have credible ideas, articles to post.

thank you
On asking whether the indigenously developed AESA radar could also be integrated with the indigenous light combat aircraft Tejas , Saraswat said, " The work is already on and the Tejas Mark-2 will have nothing but the AESA radar. In fact recently when I was in our lab LRDE, they showed me 1/8 size of RA which is already operational in the same frequency band delivering certain amount of power with the TR (Transmitter & Receiver) modules. The work on the development of AESA for LCA is on."

The DRDO developed AESA radar will be of same size and volume of the present radar integrated on Tejas Mark-1. Once the work starts for the Mark-2 of Tejas aircraft, the old radar will be simply replaced by the indigenous AESA radar.

"Now we can configure small as well as large AESA radar. The advantage of AESA is that as you increase the numbers of TR modules, the more power you get," said Dr, Saraswat.

It is claimed that the Indian AESA radar can be compared with the best in the world in terms of resolution, performance and electronic warfare capability. The basic element of AESA radar which are the TR modules are being produced today by Bharat Electronics and other private industries in India./QUOTE]

sam29

Country flag
AESA on drones

As medium-altitude UAVs become more widespread around the globe, the competition to sell the radars they carry is heating up. Meanwhile, demand is increasing for a fuller range of UAV radar capabilities, notably maritime surveillance.

A recent example of an air force wanting more out of its UAV radar is in Italy, where generals decided last month to dispatch their unarmed MQ-9 UAVs — which have flown in Afghanistan — to join the search for fishing boats carrying migrants in the Mediterranean after a number of vessels sank, drowning hundreds.

Working fast, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, the US maker of the MQ-9, began testing the software addition needed to give the Italian MQ-9's Lynx Block 30 radar a maritime capability.

"It should be ready early next year," said John Fanelle, program director, Radar Systems, for General Atomics' Reconnaissance Systems Group.

The Block 30 radar, which General Atomics has sold for manned platforms to Australia and Iraq, will be sold with the Predator XP, the export version of the Predator A for non-NATO countries. The San Diego firm has sold the Predator XP to the United Arab Emirates.

"In maritime mode, the Block 30 is matched with the performance of the EO [electro-optical] sensor," Fanelle said. "When the radar detects a ship at 75 kilometers, the EO sensor operator can put eyes on the target.

"There is demand out there for low-cost, low-size, weight and power multiple-mission radars that can address 80 percent of the [intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance] mission needs," he said.

In the US, Northrop Grumman's STARlite radar, which has been acquired by the US Army for MQ-1C Gray Eagle UAVs, is due to get a maritime mode.

The company has completed engineering flight tests for maritime capability of its extended-range version of the radar.

"Northrop Grumman Corporation will provide maritime modes as a capability in the family of STARLite radars — Extended Range, Baseline and v2 — in addition to the existing SAR, GMTI & DMTI capabilities," said a Northrop spokeswoman, referring to synthetic aperture, and ground and dismounted moving target indicator radars.

"[Northrop also] is developing a STARLite High Power variant that will provide maritime sea-search capability out to 30 nautical miles," she said.

One analyst said Northrop would do well to focus on maritime capability.

"The US Army likes the STARlite, but it could have a much bigger future if they can go maritime, which is what the US will need more of as it focuses on Asia," said David Rockwell, an analyst at the Teal Group.

US company Telephonics is already providing its AN/ZPY-4 for Northrop's MQ-8B Fire Scout unmanned helicopter, and CEO Joseph Battaglia said his company's radar is maritime through and through.

"There is a big difference between sea and ground clutter, and the RF frequency also has to be optimized for maritime applications," he said.

Battaglia said Telephonics has also signed up to supply the radar for one other UAV, a non-US, optionally piloted aircraft, about which he declined to give details.

A June report by the Teal Group stated that spending on UAV radars would total US $496 million this year, rising to $1.28 billion in 2022. Much of that spending will go toward the US multiplatform radar technology insertion program radars for the Global Hawk UAV, including $453 million to be spent on the program in 2017, about half the global figure for that year, said Rockwell, who authored the radar section of the report.

After 2017, a good deal of projected spending will be devoted to radar work for new combat UAV programs, he said.

But that leaves a niche market for medium-altitude, long-endurance UAV radars, Rockwell said.

"Outside the US, there is a good market for non-American developers, and maritime UAV radar is an area for cutting-edge technology," he said.

Selex ES has been carving out a slice of the market, with Israel-based Elbit Systems picking the firm's Gabbiano X-band radars for the Hermes 450 and Hermes 900 UAVs. In total, more than seven UAV types have integrated Selex surveillance radars. Selex ES is part of Italy's Finmeccanica group.

"The general trend in UAV radar is away from bespoke [or custom] solutions," said Bob Mason, vice president of sales for radar and advanced targeting for Selex ES.

"People want flexibility, meaning multimode, meaning using the radar for synthetic aperture radar missions one day and search and rescue the next," he said.

That view was shared by an EADS Cassidian official, who said, "We are working on scalable, software-defined sensors, which can be easily adapted for specific missions and roles."

Mason said he believes the Selex's active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars are essential for maritime missions. Selex's AESA range includes the Picosar UAV radar — which has been sold to Saudi Arabia — and the Seaspray.

"The Seaspray can spot small targets at sea from altitudes like 11,000 feet, with no significant constraint in terms of the size of the antenna," Mason said. "The advantage is that staying high is important for a UAV."

Besides flying on 18 manned platforms, the AESA Seaspray has been selected for Piaggio's Hammerhead UAV, and a 7500E variant flew last year in trials on a Predator B UAV.

"We see the Seaspray as one option for those customers who need a true long-range maritime product," said General Atomics' Fanelle, who added that the Italian Air Force is in talks to equip its MQ-9s with the radar to further boost its maritime surveillance potential.

But not all manufacturers see AESA technology as ripe for putting on UAVs.

Telephonics' Battaglia said he is dubious about rushing into AESA maritime radar for UAVs.

"There are numerous technical issues that have to be resolved before they become viable and cost effective, including tackling technical issues with size, weight, power and cooling," he said.

"Ideally, maritime surveillance radars should be capable of covering a 360-degree field of regard. Current AESA radars were designed for nose-mounted, forward-looking applications such as for fighter aircraft," he said.

Battaglia said Telephonics is working on a maritime AESA radar for UAVs as well as for rotary and fixed-wing aircraft that would provide a 360-degree field of regard, but would not rely on rotating the array.

"Including moving parts defeats one of the points of the benefits of AESA radar — reliability," he said.

Battaglia did not give details on the status of Telephonics' AESA development, but said, "It is in the not-too-distant future."

The firm's development effort does not, he said, immediately involve conformal arrays — the integration of arrays into the skin of airborne platforms.

"Conformal arrays are the ultimate goal, but those are still a way off," he said.

sam29

Country flag
Latest RQ-180

As for payload, according to an unnamed defense official, the RQ-180 carries active, electronically scanned array (AESA) radar which is known for allowing precise tracking but still being difficult to detect over background noise, along with passive electronic surveillance measures.

Sea Eagle

On asking whether the indigenously developed AESA radar could also be integrated with the indigenous light combat aircraft Tejas , Saraswat said, " The work is already on and the Tejas Mark-2 will have nothing but the AESA radar. In fact recently when I was in our lab LRDE, they showed me 1/8 size of RA which is already operational in the same frequency band delivering certain amount of power with the TR (Transmitter & Receiver) modules. The work on the development of AESA for LCA is on."

The DRDO developed AESA radar will be of same size and volume of the present radar integrated on Tejas Mark-1. Once the work starts for the Mark-2 of Tejas aircraft, the old radar will be simply replaced by the indigenous AESA radar.

"Now we can configure small as well as large AESA radar. The advantage of AESA is that as you increase the numbers of TR modules, the more power you get," said Dr, Saraswat.

It is claimed that the Indian AESA radar can be compared with the best in the world in terms of resolution, performance and electronic warfare capability. The basic element of AESA radar which are the TR modules are being produced today by Bharat Electronics and other private industries in India.

The Indian radar (not AESA) is all ready for LCA Tejas MK I.
We might possibly see
Indian radar for later batches of the production aircraft.
The radar was recently sent abroad outside for some critical testing since some testing facilities don't exist in India.
The radar can be fitted in Tejas but the DRDO/HAL didn't wanted to delay the induction.

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
funny...some MOD began to play double standard game again , you'd better pay more attention to the FACTs than my nationality which would bring more healthy and constructive disscussion here...To be honest, I thought I'm accepting and collecting the same news, reports, and information as you, and I have some good memory and From time to time, I would find some 'conflict' between the news and info...what I did is to point out the 'conflict' to find what is the truth, nothing more...you miss the point.
Prasun Sengupta is an idiot. Their are two Arudhra radars. One is Airforce nomenclature (Elta radar), second is DRDO nomenclature (Arudhra MPR).

p2prada

@shiphone

As mentioned by others, there are two radars. It was probably just coincidence that both IAF and DRDO came up with the same names for their respective radars.

One is Israeli and the other is indigenous. Whether the DRDO's radar is fully indigenous or takes subsystems from Elta is not known. DRDO's version is known to exceed 2284 in some capabilities.

MoD's comments during the induction ceremony is weird too, doesn't conform with facts. Probably, even they are confused.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
@shiphone

As mentioned by others, there are two radars. It was probably just coincidence that both IAF and DRDO came up with the same names for their respective radars.

One is Israeli and the other is indigenous. Whether the DRDO's radar is fully indigenous or takes subsystems from Elta is not known. DRDO's version is known to exceed 2284 in some capabilities.

MoD's comments during the induction ceremony is weird too, doesn't conform with facts. Probably, even they are confused.
any reference

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles