Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag

binayak95

Country flag
Well in technology P-8i is above but I really liked Tu-142,it could stay up for 10 hours.
Meaning can do the work of more than 2 P-8i.
Mmhmm, really? One Tu142 can do the work of two P8Is.

A civillian
I have no clue on this, but the only difference between p-8a and p-8i is electronics.
What more do you want?
i want to know if we can refuel it in air
P8a uses boom and it was demonstrated this year
https://navaltoday.com/2018/10/19/u...rational-aerial-refueling-over-mediterranean/

Indian planes uses probes to refuel in air, i was unable to find any info regarding the in air refueling of P8i

@binayak95 @ezsasa anyinfo about this
No, Indian P8Is do not have mid air refueling ability. Non requirement given a combat radius of 2500kms with 4 hrs of loitering time.

Narasimh

Country flag

A civillian

What more do you want?

No, Indian P8Is do not have mid air refueling ability. Non requirement given a combat radius of 2500kms with 4 hrs of loitering time.
I think they can be upgraded for mid air refueling capability with the boom type tankers but we don't have one of those in our inventory.

binayak95

Country flag

A civillian

What more do you want?

@Aaj ka hero I was not being insulting by saying " a civilian". Forgive me, that was the result of typing on a stupid phone and mixing up between chrome and WhatsApp. But Tu142s have greater innate flight time but are slower. And 1 Tu142 is more expensive to run than 2 P8Is

Chinmoy

Country flag
i want to know if we can refuel it in air
P8a uses boom and it was demonstrated this year
https://navaltoday.com/2018/10/19/u...rational-aerial-refueling-over-mediterranean/

Indian planes uses probes to refuel in air, i was unable to find any info regarding the in air refueling of P8i

@binayak95 @ezsasa anyinfo about this

You mean this???

One of the projects being worked on the aircraft – which is equipped with Harpoon anti shipping missiles – is to give it the capacity to take in fuel while flying. While the Indian P8Is are equipped with aerial refueling system, it was not a contracted requirement from the Indian side.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...nce-aircraft-in-2020/articleshow/55432252.cms

Interestingly P8-A too completed its first IFR certification flight just last year.

US Navy, Air Force in first-ever P-8A refueling

https://navaltoday.com/2017/04/26/us-navy-air-force-in-first-ever-p-8a-refueling/

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
@Aaj ka hero I was not being insulting by saying " a civilian". Forgive me, that was the result of typing on a stupid phone and mixing up between chrome and WhatsApp. But Tu142s have greater innate flight time but are slower. And 1 Tu142 is more expensive to run than 2 P8Is
Well I am civilian but I do know tu-142 had great range.
What I said was definitely one will need refueling plane for this or we can do one thing is to buy more planes that indian navy is doing.
Tu-142 was great I am saying another plane of that type like a330 would have been great.
You know, you can install your own harpoonski or brahmos or your own torpedoes as well as your own electronics like drdo is doing in AWACS.
It just that I don't believe "Americans will don't scoop."
And god forbid if some G-2 happened between USA and China.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
IMG_0242[1].JPG
You mean this???

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...nce-aircraft-in-2020/articleshow/55432252.cms

Interestingly P8-A too completed its first IFR certification flight just last year.

US Navy, Air Force in first-ever P-8A refueling

https://navaltoday.com/2017/04/26/us-navy-air-force-in-first-ever-p-8a-refueling/
yes i was reading about us navy going for inflight refueling and there was no requirement shown by our navy

i wanted to confirm if we have a system like iaf's C130j where we can attach inflight refuel prob when required.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Indian Navy launches Information Fusion Centre to boost maritime security

With an aim to strengthen maritime security in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), Indian Navy has launched its Information Fusion Centre (IFC) that will share information on vessels of interest with other friendly nations. IFC will function as a platform where multiple friendly nations can freely exchange non-sensitive information from maritime domain.

IFC is based at the Indian Navy's Information Management and Analysis Centre (IMAC) at Gurugram in the National Capital Region. IMAC is the single point centre on Indian Navy, linking all the coastal radar chains to generate a seamless real-time picture of the nearly 7,500km coastline.

The IFC-IOR is capable of tracking and monitoring 75,000-1.5 lakh shipping traffic in the region in real-time round the clock.

Navy said IFC-IOR will work closely with friendly nations with whom India has already signed White Shipping Information Exchange agreements. So far, Indian Navy has signed the agreement with 21 countries, out of which with 12 countries such agreements of sharing information have already been operationalised. Indian Navy is so far mandated to have white shipping agreement with as many as 36 countries.

The inauguration of the maritime surveillance centre was done by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. The event was attended by diplomats of various countries, including the US and the UK.

" IFC-IOR is aimed at keeping the global commons open and accessible for all. It is for equals, it is for partners,” Sitharaman said, and added that the need for IFC-IOR stems from importance of the IOR for world trade and security.

"More significantly, the IFC-IOR will help foster bonds of trust, camaraderie and partnership— ingredients that are vital for relationships between nations to transcend from being merely transactional to ones that are transformational”, the minister further said.

Now, friendly nations can post International Liaison Officers (ILO) at the centre.

So far, nearly a dozen countries, including the US, France, Italy and Japan, Singapore, Oman have expressed interest in posting their officers.

The Navy said the expertise of the resident ILOs would be utilised towards sharing of real-time information with partners as well as for generating timely and adequate response to developing situations. The resident ILOs would then collate information from their allocated areas of responsibility and contribute towards development of a common operational picture that would be shared with partner countries.

“The ILOs would also interact with their national maritime security agencies and solicit response to developing maritime scenarios in the IOR,” a naval officer said.

IFC-IOR will work closely with countries in the region on white shipping and will be operated by the Indian Navy.

Under white shipping agreement, only commercial shipping information about movement of cargo ships are exchanged.

"So far, this centre can only deal with merchant vessels, and information movement of warships in the IOR are kept under classified nature and will not be shared by this platform," said an officer.

Speaking on the occasion, Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba said the IFC-IOR is initially being launched as a virtual construct wherein information exchange will be done electronically through the internet. "During this phase, the IFC-IOR shall be administered from the IMAC. The centre would host International Liaison Officers from participating countries on a permanent basis, accruing immense value from their combined expertise, " he added.

"Maritime piracy and maritime terrorism are the two major ways in which non-state actors threaten to jeopardise the security of the maritime domain, with a direct influence on land affairs," the Navy chief said.

Additionally, the IFC-IOR would work towards capability building in the region, coordination of incident response and disaster relief, and share submarine safety information.

According to the Navy statement, the Indian Ocean Region is vital to world trade and economic prosperity of many nations as more than 75 per cent of the world’s maritime trade and 50 per cent of global oil consumption passes through the IOR. "However, maritime terrorism, piracy, human and contraband trafficking, illegal and unregulated fishing, arms running and poaching pose myriad challenges to maritime safety and security in the region. Response to these challenges requires enhanced situational awareness of the maritime activities in the region so as to enable security agencies function effectively," the statement said.

https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2...Fusion-Centre-to-boost-maritime-security.html

bhramos

Country flag
#IndianNavy airlifts Technical Team on damaged Oil Rig Olinda Star in KG Basin by deploying a UH3H helicopter from INS Dega. The helo airlifted technical team & crew members of Olinda Star, a semi-submersible drilling platform in KG Basin off Kakinada.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Indian Navy conducts trials of air droppable containers in Arabian Sea

The Indian Navy has conducted successful trials of the Sahayak Air droppable containers, developed by domestic research bodies, to boost its operational logistics capability.

With a test payload of 50kg, the containers, which can be air dropped, are equipped to carry spare equipment for ships up to 2,000km away from the coast. This capability ensures that vessels need not return to coast for spares, thereby improving operational logistics and increasing the deployment duration of vessels.

On 8 January, the containers were air-dropped from an IL-38 aircraft into the Arabian Sea with the help of a parachute.

Indian Navy Commander and Chief Public relations officer Mehul Karnik said: “Successful trials of Sahayak air droppable containers was undertaken from an IL-38 aircraft off the coast of Goa.

“This will reduce the requirement of ships to be close to the coast for collecting spares and stores, thereby increasing the duration of their deployment.”

Following the success of these trials, series production of Sahayak containers and parachutes will now be undertaken.

These cylindrical containers have been developed by domestic research bodies – the Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL) and the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

In December 2018, the Indian Navy inducted its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) in Mumbai, to be deployed off the west coast.

Another DSRV will be deployed on the east coast, in Visakhapatnam, to cut down the dependence on overseas navies for salvage and rescue operations.

With the deployment, the Indian Navy claims to join a league of few counties that have the capability to rescue their submarines.

Furthermore, the Indian Navy has been bolstering its logistics capabilities in the Indian Ocean through agreements with many friendly nations. Since 2016, India has signed logistics agreements with the US, Singapore, France and plans to sign similar agreements with Russia and Japan.

https://www.naval-technology.com/news/indian-navy-trials-air-droppable-containers/

Defcon 1

Country flag
Two high-speed interceptor boats inducted into Navy

The Indian Navy Friday inducted two Fast Interceptor Craft (FIC) into its fleet at Nagapattinam in an effort to beef up coastal security.

The high-speed vessels, capable of operating in shallow waters, were acquired for Sagar Prahari Bal, a unit of the Navy created post-26/11 Mumbai terror attacks as part of the coastal security construct, said a defence press release here.

Over the years, the boats, which have established their efficacy in coastal security and force protection measures, the release said. Also, the boats can carry a variety of armament from heavy machine guns to grenade launchers with the upper deck canopies bullet-proof, it said.

The vessels were inducted in the presence of naval detachment Nagapattinam officer-in-charge Lieutenant Commodore Harihar and naval officer-in-charge to flag officer commanding (Tamil Nadu and Puducherry) Commodore Vidyanshu Srivastava, it added.

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/two-high-speed-interceptor-boats-inducted-into-navy-5534128/

bhramos

Country flag
Indian Navy conducts trials of air droppable containers in Arabian Sea

The Indian Navy has conducted successful trials of the Sahayak Air droppable containers, developed by domestic research bodies, to boost its operational logistics capability.

With a test payload of 50kg, the containers, which can be air dropped, are equipped to carry spare equipment for ships up to 2,000km away from the coast. This capability ensures that vessels need not return to coast for spares, thereby improving operational logistics and increasing the deployment duration of vessels.

On 8 January, the containers were air-dropped from an IL-38 aircraft into the Arabian Sea with the help of a parachute.

Indian Navy Commander and Chief Public relations officer Mehul Karnik said: “Successful trials of Sahayak air droppable containers was undertaken from an IL-38 aircraft off the coast of Goa.

“This will reduce the requirement of ships to be close to the coast for collecting spares and stores, thereby increasing the duration of their deployment.”

Following the success of these trials, series production of Sahayak containers and parachutes will now be undertaken.

These cylindrical containers have been developed by domestic research bodies – the Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL) and the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

In December 2018, the Indian Navy inducted its first Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) in Mumbai, to be deployed off the west coast.

Another DSRV will be deployed on the east coast, in Visakhapatnam, to cut down the dependence on overseas navies for salvage and rescue operations.

With the deployment, the Indian Navy claims to join a league of few counties that have the capability to rescue their submarines.

Furthermore, the Indian Navy has been bolstering its logistics capabilities in the Indian Ocean through agreements with many friendly nations. Since 2016, India has signed logistics agreements with the US, Singapore, France and plans to sign similar agreements with Russia and Japan.

https://www.naval-technology.com/news/indian-navy-trials-air-droppable-containers/

image might give an idea what are we talking about here...............................

Defcon 1

Country flag
Amid growing Chinese activities in Indian Ocean, Navy to commission INS Kohassa in Andaman

Indian Navy will open a third air base in the far-off Andaman and Nicobar islands on Thursday to beef up surveillance of Chinese ships and submarines entering the Indian Ocean through the nearby Malacca Straits, military officials and experts said.

New Delhi has grown concerned over the presence of China`s bigger navy in its neighbourhood and the network of commercial ports it is building in an arc stretching from Sri Lanka to Pakistan that India fears could become naval outposts.

The Indian military has seized upon the Andamans that lie near the entrance to the Malacca Straits to counter the Chinese challenge, deploying ships and aircraft since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took office in 2014 promising a more muscular policy.

Indian navy chief admiral Sunil Lanba will commission the new base, called INS Kohassa, about 300 km (180 miles) north of the archipelago’s capital, Port Blair, the navy said in a statement.

The facility, the third in the islands, will have a 1,000-metre runway for helicopters and Dornier surveillance aircraft. But eventually the plan is for the runway to be extended to 3,000 metres to support fighter aircraft and longer-range reconnaissance aircraft, navy spokesman Captain D.K. Sharma said.

About 1,20,000 ships pass through the Indian Ocean each year and nearly 70,000 of them pass through the Malacca Strait. "The underlying thing is the expanding Chinese presence. If we have to really monitor Chinese presence, we need to be adequately equipped in the Andaman islands," said former navy commodore Anil Jai Singh.

"If you have air bases you can cover a larger area," he said, adding he expected the navy to permanently deploy more ships to the islands in the next phase of the buildup.

A Chinese submarine docked in Sri Lanka`s Colombo port in 2014 that drew such alarm in New Delhi that Modi`s government raised the issue with the Sri Lankan authorities.

Both India and China have been locked in a contest for influence, with New Delhi trying to push back against Beijing`s expansive diplomacy in the region.

This week, Indian defence officials are due to hold talks with the defence minister of the Maldives, Mariya Ahmed Didi, where New Delhi is seeking to repair ties after the ouster of its pro-China leader in a presidential election last year.

https://zeenews.india.com/india/ami...ommission-ins-kohassa-in-andaman-2173499.html

Prashant12

Country flag
‘Smart’ perimeters at airbases to help Navy thwart terror attacks

NEW DELHI: The Navy is going in for a comprehensive upgrade of the perimeter security of its major air stations around the country to protect its valuable assets, including MiG-29K fighter jets and Poseidon-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft, in a move that comes three years after terrorists attacked the Pathankot airbase.
Sources say Navy inked a Rs 700-crore contract for the naval airfield integrated security system with defence PSU Bharat Electronics last week. But the contract for the much larger project to enhance security at the 54 main flying bases of IAF, likely to cost Rs 150 crore per airbase, is still some distance away from being finalised.

Navy’s integrated security system will include “smart fences” with CCTV cameras, infra-red devices, motion-detectors, anti-penetration, thermal and other sensors, backed by drones and other surveillance devices.

“This comprehensive mu-lti-layered security system, with real time monitoring through state-of-the-art command and control centers, will help guard the naval air stations much better against terror attacks,” said a source.

The system will be in place at naval air stations in Goa (INS Hansa), Mumbai (INS Shikra), Arakkonam (INS Rajali) and Visakhapatnam (INS Dega) by January 2020. Port Blair (INS Utkrosh) and Kochi (INS Garuda), in turn, will get it by July 2020.

While naval air stations house a variety of helicopters, drones and Dornier-228 patrol aircraft, INS Hansa also has 45 MiG-29K jets that operate from aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya as well as five IL-38 patrol aircraft.

Navy’s eight P-8I aircraft, packed with weapons and sensors to hunt enemy submarines, in turn, are based at INS Rajali in Tamil Nadu. After induction of the eight P-8Is in 2013-2015 under a $2.1 billion deal, the base is now slated to get four more such aircraft by 2021-2022 for another $1 billion.

The series of terror strikes on military bases and camps, from Pathankot and Uri to Nagrota and Akhnoor in recent years, has exposed their lack of proper perimeter security infrastructure, upgraded standard operating procedures, regular security audits and seamless coordination between intelligence and security agencies.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...hwart-terror-attacks/articleshow/67748350.cms

Defcon 1

Country flag
Defence Ministry to discuss proposal on acquiring torpedoes for nuclear submarine

New Delhi [India], Jan 30 (ANI): Already delayed by many years, the Defence Ministry is expected to discuss a proposal for acquiring heavyweight torpedoes for the nuclear submarine INS Arihant and the six Scorpene-class submarines being built for the Indian Navy.

"A high-level meeting of the Defence Ministry is expected to discuss the proposal to acquire heavy-weight torpedoes for the INS Arihant nuclear submarine and the submarines of the Kalvari-class of the Indian Navy. The Kalvari class are originally the Scorpene submarines of France built in India at the Mazagon Dockyards Limited (MDL)," sources in the Navy told ANI.

The Defence Ministry is also likely to take a call on the tender to be issued by the Navy for the heavyweight torpedos and also on the number to be acquired. The Navy had issued a Request for Information more than a year ago and has been in discussion on the formalities with the vendors and the Defence Ministry acquisition wing.

The DRDO is also developing a heavyweight torpedo as the next version of its light torpedoes for submarines and surface ships.

The proposal for acquisition of the torpedoes has been going on for more than 10 years now as an earlier proposal to acquire it from an Italian firm WASS was scrapped due to its alleged links with the scam-tainted AgustaWestland and Finmeccanica group of companies allegedly involved in the chopper scam.

The heavyweight torpedoes are the main weapons of any submarine operating under water against both enemy submarines and surface warships.

At the moment, the Kalvari class and the INS Arihant are relying on the old torpedoes in the naval inventory for operations.

INS Arihant is the first indigenously-built and developed nuclear submarine of the Indian Navy, and the vessel completed its maiden operational deployment in the Indian Ocean Region a few months ago.

The strategic submarines are operated by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) and as per plans, the Navy will have a fleet of at least five nuclear submarines which can carry long-range ballistic missiles.

The Navy has already inducted one of the Kalvari class boats and is expected to induct the remaining five in the next four years.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...oes-for-nuclear-submarine-119013000339_1.html

WolfPack86

Country flag
Defence Ministry set to invite private companies to bid for Rs 21,000 crore naval chopper deal - the first under the strategic partnership model.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles