Identify possible indian military foreign base locations

A.V.

With power comes responsibility and for power you need a strategic reach , what are the possible locations that india might look at in the future for positioning some of its assets .

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Kandahar, some city in East Kazakhstan and Madagascar - to begin with.

Of course, we're at least 10-15 years away from going in this direction, IMHO...

p2prada

Islamabad and Beijing. Perhaps Washington DC and London as well.

JBH22

For the starters let's first accelerate the construction of adequate infrastructure in border areas of India..others will follow later.

chex3009

Country flag
Let us first harden our defences and put straight some grave infrastructure requirements in the bordering areas with China, then we can think of something of this kind.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Let us first harden our defences and put straight some grave infrastructure requirements in the bordering areas with China, then we can think of something of this kind.
I second that.
But once that's done we should definitely talk to the Kazakhs and Tajiks(borders Xinjiang with Uighur Pop.), and the Afghanis. Also lets rope in the Vietnamese, they will come in handy when relations with PRC turn sour. Also to attain and maintain superiority in the Indian Ocean we must get back Cocos Islands and eventually the BIOT (Diego Garcia). They will serve the purpose for superiority in our ocean.

AOE

Wouldn't it be easier and better in the long run to counter Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean than going for Diego Garcia?

debasree

Country flag
maurisus.& madagaskar would be ideal for anaval bases & possibly vietnam for a listening post

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Wouldn't it be easier and better in the long run to counter Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean than going for Diego Garcia?
Thats exactly the purpose. Yes, good naval bases in the A&N Islands would suffice (I guess) but Diego Garcia will add extra muscle. Also we must certainly improve relations with Maldives.

AOE

You make a good case, but convincing the US to give up Diego Garcia is going to be easier said than done; especially if they are using that base for strategic reasons for parts of Africa, the Middle-East, and Asia.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
You make a good case, but convincing the US to give up Diego Garcia is going to be easier said than done; especially if they are using that base for strategic reasons for parts of Africa, the Middle-East, and Asia.
Yeah, Its a vital link in America's global chain of bases but we have more right of operating there than the US of A which is half a world away. Eventually I hope the military budget of the US will make this a burden and the US will be forced to give it to India.

AOE

Yeah, Its a vital link in America's global chain of bases but we have more right of operating there than the US of A which is half a world away. Eventually I hope the military budget of the US will make this a burden and the US will be forced to give it to India.
I highly doubt that will happen, and your reasoning presented is not a convincing case to say the least. Yes the base is important to Indian interests and I endorse that, but I don't see sufficient reasoning presented so far for India to take over responsibility there. US presence in Africa, the Middle-East, and parts of South Asia or South East Asia is larger at present than Indias (with some exceptions), and I think the foremost issue on Americas mind in handing over such a base is what India plans to do with it. Is it purely motivated for self-interest, or will India also consider protecting the democratic institutions nearby? One of those that happens to be within range is Australia. Is India also going to counter Chinese influences in those surrounding areas, and if so, how would it do better than the US which has the largest armed forces, GDP, and influence in the world? I'm not saying India should be at the same level for this to happen, but it still has some while to go. The only way this is going to work towards Indias goals is for confidence to be placed in the US that these and perhaps some other points will be satisfied.

Oracle

Yes!
India is not a superpower nor it is the world's police. Indian economy is in the boost phase and going for foreign bases will drain the economy considerably. There are more pertinent issues at hand to be dealt with like infrastructure, education, jobs. Increasing co-operation with the west and on-going projects with Russia is a better prospect than going for foreign bases. We need to fist secure the country then the IOR.

:confused: What's the logic behind 'we have more right....'? Is it because DG is in the Indian Ocean? Bolllocks! US is not going down anytime soon, and also US cannot give/gift DG to India, as it is owned by the Brits.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I highly doubt that will happen, and your reasoning presented is not a convincing case to say the least. Yes the base is important to Indian interests and I endorse that, but I don't see sufficient reasoning presented so far for India to take over responsibility there.
In 1971, during the Indo-pak war the US openly supported the Paks. They even sent in a Aircraft Carrier to threaten us. So no thank you, we don't want such shit later on.

I think the foremost issue on Americas mind in handing over such a base is what India plans to do with it. Is it purely motivated for self-interest, or will India also consider protecting the democratic institutions nearby?
Do you think America has bases around the world to protect "democratic institutions". :pound:
Well then lemme ask you why is it an ally of Pak? Why is it an ally of Saud dynasty. etc. etc. If it was so concerned about people, why did it turn a blind eye towards the killing of millions of Bangladeshis during the 1971 war by Pakistan and then threaten India which was helping Bangladesh. It is to protect its allies and interests around the world and not for other "noble" reason that the US has bases around the world.

Is India also going to counter Chinese influences in those surrounding areas, and if so, how would it do better than the US which has the largest armed forces, GDP, and influence in the world? I'm not saying India should be at the same level for this to happen, but it still has some while to go. The only way this is going to work towards Indias goals is for confidence to be placed in the US that these and perhaps some other points will be satisfied.
Yes this can also maybe help counter Chinese influence in Africa to some extent.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Yes!
India is not a superpower nor it is the world's police. Indian economy is in the boost phase and going for foreign bases will drain the economy considerably. There are more pertinent issues at hand to be dealt with like infrastructure, education, jobs. Increasing co-operation with the west and on-going projects with Russia is a better prospect than going for foreign bases. We need to fist secure the country then the IOR.
Agreed thats why i said we should be concerned about these bases after we have secured our borders properly.

:confused: What's the logic behind 'we have more right....'? Is it because DG is in the Indian Ocean? Bolllocks! US is not going down anytime soon, and also US cannot give/gift DG to India, as it is owned by the Brits.
I did not say the US is gonna gift it to us anytime soon. We must earn it. For that our people must think that we have the right to police our backyard and dictate the rules rather than some foreign power. And I know BIOT is owned by uk and leased to USA. But hey the UK is just America's lil bitch so....

Oracle

I did not say the US is gonna gift it to us anytime soon. We must earn it. For that our people must think that we have the right to police our backyard and dictate the rules rather than some foreign power. And I know BIOT is owned by uk and leased to USA. But hey the UK is just America's lil bitch so....
Earn it? Well how? And what makes you think US is going to leave DG anytime soon?

Instead of having unrealistic dreams we should identify islands in the Andamans and Lakshadweep for military bases. GoI is already in the process and have identified some.

AOE

In 1971, during the Indo-pak war the US openly supported the Paks. They even sent in a Aircraft Carrier to threaten us. So no thank you, we don't want such shit later on.
...And yet in 1963, after China attacked India, the Kennedy administration vowed to come to Indias aid if China aggressively attacked it again, even threatening to go nuclear. Blame the US support of Pakistan in 1971 on Henry Kissinger and President Nixon, the former of which was the only person in US history to also lobby to support China; giving it the prosperity it has today. The chance of a repeat of the past is highly unlikely, and demanding the Americans to hand it over for something that happened 40 years ago ain't going to happen.

Do you think America has bases around the world to protect "democratic institutions". :pound:
Indeed I do. :pound: @ your knowledge of the past and present geopolitical situation, especially when it comes to Americas foreign policy. Why do you think the US protects South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, most European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc...? All of those countries are democratic, and the US is allied or has good relations with all of them precisely to stop the spread of fascism (previously), communism, and theocracies. It's thanks to the US that the world has come to a stage it is now, rather than the old days of European colonialism dominating the world, with the looming threat of German/Japanese fascism and Soviet/Chinese communism.

Well then lemme ask you why is it an ally of Pak? Why is it an ally of Saud dynasty. etc. etc. If it was so concerned about people, why did it turn a blind eye towards the killing of millions of Bangladeshis during the 1971 war by Pakistan and then threaten India which was helping Bangladesh. It is to protect its allies and interests around the world and not for other "noble" reason that the US has bases around the world.
Pakistan used to be a cold war ally, where as the Indians of the 1940s-1980s were isolationist, sided with the Soviet Union, were part of the Non-Aligned Movement, and helped to prevent relations with the EU/West because their political leader of the time blindly believed in solidarity with the Chinese; even if it would end up going to war with them in the 60s. One could speculate that if it wasn't for Nehru's foreign policy views, the US would have sided with India early on.

You see this is why India has lagged in developing as a super power today. Not because of 1971, but because with responses like yours, it's common to hear the notion that India should or is going to go it alone; or that playing games between the Russians, Americans, and Chinese will somehow make it a more popular and powerful superpower than America is today. Now THAT's hilarious lol. No power, past or present, has grown to the number one spot in human history without strong diplomatic ties to those already very powerful, as well as great strides in economic, defense, and technological development. The US has had some of the best scientific minds of the last century too, which has helped a lot.

Yes this can also maybe help counter Chinese influence in Africa to some extent.
That's one of the first steps in the right direction, swallowing your pride is the next one.

Last edited:

JBH22

maurisus.& madagaskar would be ideal for anaval bases & possibly vietnam for a listening post
Mauritius??Not possible even though the Island has a Hindu majority population largely sympathetic to India such actions might create problems.

Madagascar,not a good idea a state that has gone more than twice major political upheavals but then given it has dire economic needs India can make a move there.

India need to carry on with strengthening ties with Oman,Mozambique continue the work on Andaman islands as it is no one can challenge the Indian Navy in the Indian Ocean.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Earn it? Well how? And what makes you think US is going to leave DG anytime soon?

Instead of having unrealistic dreams we should identify islands in the Andamans and Lakshadweep for military bases. GoI is already in the process and have identified some.
Its not unrealistic. We will evict these powers just like we did the portuguese back in the early days. But as I and you keep saying we are not that mature yet. What i am trying to say is economic might and military might go hand in hand and we must never limit ourselves in either category.
I have already talked about bases in A&N, they will be extremely useful for constricting chinese SLOCs when required.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
...And yet in 1963, after China attacked India, the Kennedy administration vowed to come to Indias aid if China aggressively attacked it again, even threatening to go nuclear. Blame the US support of Pakistan in 1971 on Henry Kissinger and President Nixon, the former of which was the only person in US history to also lobby to support China; giving it the prosperity it has today. The chance of a repeat of the past is highly unlikely, and demanding the Americans to hand it over for something that happened 40 years ago ain't going to happen.
Yes the Kennedy Admn. but that is because they feared the rise of Communism.

Indeed I do. :pound: @ your knowledge of the past and present geopolitical situation, especially when it comes to Americas foreign policy. Why do you think the US protects South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, most European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc...? All of those countries are democratic, and the US is allied or has good relations with all of them precisely to stop the spread of fascism (previously), communism, and theocracies. It's thanks to the US that the world has come to a stage it is now, rather than the old days of European colonialism dominating the world, with the looming threat of German/Japanese fascism and Soviet/Chinese communism.
You have got it wrong my friend. The US "protects" these nations because it has got interests in the vicinity, not because they are democratic(that maybe one of the reasons why they are allied with a nation but the primary one is "interests").

You see this is why India has lagged in developing as a super power today. Not because of 1971, but because with responses like yours, it's common to hear the notion that India should or is going to go it alone; or that playing games between the Russians, Americans, and Chinese will somehow make it a more popular and powerful superpower than America is today. Now THAT's hilarious lol. No power, past or present, has grown to the number one spot in human history without strong diplomatic ties to those already very powerful, as well as great strides in economic, defense, and technological development. The US has had some of the best scientific minds of the last century too, which has helped a lot.
Has being allied to the US made you a super power. I do understand the importance of friendship and co-operation but not at the risk of sacrificing interests.

That's one of the first steps in the right direction, swallowing your pride is the next one.
You misunderstand my emotions. I ll not be online for sometime will come back later. ciao.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles