High Speed Railway Corridor

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This all is about trade and business travelers, Not regular commuting or joy ride ..

Is it only me or more people here thinks that we are not ready for bullet train yet? I feel its better to modernize the existing railways than Bullet train.

Really Ahmadabad to Mumbai?? dont know if this route is feasible for that amount of investment.

If India really plans on taking Japan's help, We should take there help in improving infrastructure in North-East. North-East can be a tourism hub if infra is developed.

MrPresident

Country flag
This all is about trade and business travelers, Not regular commuting or joy ride ..
I understand but at what cost? if the Bullet trains are expensive than air fare who will be ready to go for it?

Trust me Bullet trains are bloddy expensive to manage as well and the tickets wont be cheap.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Why should i trust your word when government is saying the other way around, This thread is goldmine for the topic at hand and i recommend you to go through it ..

All of questions you have or most others are coming with are a covered already in last few pages ..

I understand but at what cost? if the Bullet trains are expensive than air fare who will be ready to go for it?

Trust me Bullet trains are bloddy expensive to manage as well and the tickets wont be cheap.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This thread is a sticky with a new appropriate name in correct section ..

MrPresident

Country flag
Why should i trust your word when government is saying the other way around, This thread is goldmine for the topic at hand and i recommend you to go through it ..

All of questions you have or most others are coming with are a covered already in last few pages ..
You dont have to trust me, below is the current Bullet train rates in Japan.

www.seat61.com/Japan.htm

MrPresident

Country flag

=========

In Indian context, this is irreverent here ..

Go through the thread ..

=======================================================
I did and completely agree as well, I am only thinking like a layman who has to shell out money to travel.

If u have option to go by cab for 20 kms and pay 50 bucks and by train 70 which one would u choose?

In my opinion normal electric trains are better than a bullet train.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

nimo_cn

Country flag

=========

In Indian context, this is irreverent here ..

Go through the thread ..

=======================================================
Mrpresident's concern is quite relevant though it's raised in indian context.

the first indian HSR is gonna be built by Japanese, with Japanese fund and technology, based on Japanese standard, in the end operate Japanese bullet train. it's reasonable to speculate that to travel on indian HSR is not gonna be cheaper.

bose

Country flag

the first indian HSR is gonna be built by Japanese, with Japanese fund and technology, based on Japanese standard, in the end operate Japanese bullet train. it's reasonable to speculate that to travel on indian HSR is not gonna be cheaper.
Indian HSR is for business class of people who has money and less time to spare ...

Kalki_2018

Country flag
It will be cheaper than Air fare between tier 1 cities hopefully. The pricing structure is still unknown but I am sure Indian railways has a plan in mind. The very low interest rate on this project certainly makes it feasible.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We already ride Japanese trains with their fund and technology, They have a history here in our railway projects and its logical to go with them ..

======

In layman language, India has a requirement for 747 for short trips between major business hubs, Which cannot be done with such large aircraft nor any number of sorties, HSR is a logical choice ..

I did and completely agree as well, I am only thinking like a layman who has to shell out money to travel.

Superdefender

Pretestors are saying and giving examples how ₹1lakh crore can be utilised in other ways like Govt. does not know what can be done with ₹1lakh crore. What a retard arguments! First know the difference. Japan has given this loan only for bullet train purpose and not for other projects. Japan is not world bank. If India begs Japan to give loan for other infrastructure projects like these people are saying, Japan will not give. Instead it will invest its money on something like safety. Why is it giving us cheap loan? No, not because it is our friend. The reason is their rival China. If only Japan has the bullet train technology in the world, will it have given us such cheap loan? It will only give ₹1lakh crore for its HST technology lest it will deny to help. Better take something than nothing.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Incase you haven’t done your research properly...

Bullet train is connecting India’s diamond hub to India economic hub.

There won’t be any dearth of paying customers, because diamond traders travel to Mumbai quite frequently almost on daily basis. If the ticket price is on par with budget airlines, they won’t mind paying for it.

Surtis(diamond businessmen of Surat) are known for their extravagant lifestyles.

sorcerer

Country flag
Demonstration high speed freight train links Lyon and London

EUROPE: The vision of a network of high speed freight trains carrying express parcels and other premium consignments across Europe moved a step closer on March 21, when a demonstration train from Lyon Saint-Exupéry and Paris Charles-de-Gaulle airports arrived at London's St Pancras International station.

The trial run was organised by members of the EuroCarex consortium, which includes SNCF, Eurotunnel, Air France, the French post office La Poste, FedEx and airport operators in Paris, Amsterdam, Liège and Lyon. The UK element was co-ordinated by Eurotunnel subsidiary GB Railfreight and High Speed 1 Ltd, which holds the concession to operate the high speed line between London and the Channel Tunnel. Loading and unloading was handled by SNCF Geodis subsidiary Geoparts Rail Solutions.

The aim is to start commercial services in 2017, with a London terminal probably located near Barking. Discussions are underway with Alstom and Siemens for a fleet of 25 trainsets.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...peed-freight-train-links-lyon-and-london.html

The industrial and economic corridors through which Indian High speed rail passes will be immence benefit to boost productivity and supply chain.

Oh Well!!!
Thats in the making anyway

SKC

Country flag
Is it only me or more people here thinks that we are not ready for bullet train yet? I feel its better to modernize the existing railways than Bullet train.

Really Ahmadabad to Mumbai?? dont know if this route is feasible for that amount of investment.

If India really plans on taking Japan's help, We should take there help in improving infrastructure in North-East. North-East can be a tourism hub if infra is developed.
Why do you think both things cant happen in parallel. Bullet train project will start on only 1 route in whole India and not 10-15 project across India.
Modernization of current Railway Infra can happen separately and already work is in progress for the same.
And the finance for the project is coming as a really good scheme from Japan.

This is like saying India should not pursue space program as there is still poverty in India.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

1. The Rs 88,000 crores is not part of the Railway budget. It is not our money that we're investing. It is Japanese money, a 50-year loan at just 0.1% interest starting 15 years from now. So in effect nothing is to be paid to the Japanese for the next 15 years. In 5 years time the train will be ready and thus we will be earning revenue for 10 years after that with nothing being paid to the Japanese. I think this deal is a steal!

2. The Japanese have given this loan only for the bullet train. For improving the infrastructure in the North East as well as safety, the Railways are catering for it from the Railway budget itself.

3. The Ahmadabad to Mumbai route is one of the most congested and busiest in terms of traffic. Once commissioned, 40,000 commuters are expected to use the service everyday (4-6 HSRs running simultaneously to and fro) This will de-congest the conventional rail, road, and air traffic between Mumbai and Ahmedabad. And it would be faster than traveling by air if one counts the time taken to reach the airport, waiting at the security, flying time, collection of baggage, and finally reaching the destination from the airport. And I've not included the delays caused to flights by weather, technical faults, and so on.

4. A network of mid- and small-size enterprises will come up to support this manufacturing process and the ecosystem will eventually tap new Indian HSR requirements and export market possibilities. New production bases and townships will eventually expand along the HSR. The trickle-down effects of opening avenues for cheaper housing, logistics hubs, and industrial units along the route will benefit smaller towns and cities. The districts of Palghar in Maharashtra and Valsad in Gujarat, along with the Union Territory of Daman, will have a great shot at attracting new investments and amenities.

5. Construction activity will boost allied industries such as steel, cement and infrastructure. This will translate into additional logistics and warehousing demand. It is estimated that an additional annual cement demand of two million tonnes and steel demand of five lakh tonnes will be generated over four years by the HSR project. This will help near-term economic growth which has been sluggish in the last few quarters.

6. New temporary and permanent jobs will also be created with most of the manufacturing, from components to rolling stock, done in India. The construction phase will create opportunities for employment for about 20,000 to 30,000 people. After the commissioning of the project, there will be job openings for 4,000 for the operation and maintenance of the line. Further, some 20,000 indirect employment opportunities are expected to be generated.

So, to the naysayers I would say: It's a great idea!

MrPresident

Country flag
1. The Rs 88,000 crores is not part of the Railway budget. It is not our money that we're investing. It is Japanese money, a 50-year loan at just 0.1% interest starting 15 years from now. So in effect nothing is to be paid to the Japanese for the next 15 years. In 5 years time the train will be ready and thus we will be earning revenue for 10 years after that with nothing being paid to the Japanese. I think this deal is a steal!

2. The Japanese have given this loan only for the bullet train. For improving the infrastructure in the North East as well as safety, the Railways are catering for it from the Railway budget itself.

3. The Ahmadabad to Mumbai route is one of the most congested and busiest in terms of traffic. Once commissioned, 40,000 commuters are expected to use the service everyday (4-6 HSRs running simultaneously to and fro) This will de-congest the conventional rail, road, and air traffic between Mumbai and Ahmedabad. And it would be faster than traveling by air if one counts the time taken to reach the airport, waiting at the security, flying time, collection of baggage, and finally reaching the destination from the airport. And I've not included the delays caused to flights by weather, technical faults, and so on.

4. A network of mid- and small-size enterprises will come up to support this manufacturing process and the ecosystem will eventually tap new Indian HSR requirements and export market possibilities. New production bases and townships will eventually expand along the HSR. The trickle-down effects of opening avenues for cheaper housing, logistics hubs, and industrial units along the route will benefit smaller towns and cities. The districts of Palghar in Maharashtra and Valsad in Gujarat, along with the Union Territory of Daman, will have a great shot at attracting new investments and amenities.

5. Construction activity will boost allied industries such as steel, cement and infrastructure. This will translate into additional logistics and warehousing demand. It is estimated that an additional annual cement demand of two million tonnes and steel demand of five lakh tonnes will be generated over four years by the HSR project. This will help near-term economic growth which has been sluggish in the last few quarters.

6. New temporary and permanent jobs will also be created with most of the manufacturing, from components to rolling stock, done in India. The construction phase will create opportunities for employment for about 20,000 to 30,000 people. After the commissioning of the project, there will be job openings for 4,000 for the operation and maintenance of the line. Further, some 20,000 indirect employment opportunities are expected to be generated.

So, to the naysayers I would say: It's a great idea!
No one will be more happier than me, if proven wrong. I just dont want the story of ghost town and ports like in Spain and Sri Lanka.

I do understand that the soft loan from Japan is exclusive for bullet train. I feel Japan will be more than willing to invest in north-east with eye on China.

It feels a bit odd to see one part of the country struggling to have a basic infrastructure like roads and other side is having a bullet train. This is my view entirely.

Vayuputra

Country flag
This Train seems to be primarily for diamond merchants who do up and down everyday to mumbai. i am sure surtis will utilise it very well.
I thought same when they first announced this project. It is not safe fro merchants to carry diamonds through road or flight, always at risk of being caught government agencies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles