HAL Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and Light Observation Helicopter (LOH)

abingdonboy

Country flag
3rd prototype flew for the first time -

So excited for this beast to enter service. It will revolutionise India’s aviation market I am certain of it.

I’ll bet right now that it is the first Indian aircraft that will exceed 1000 units in service. It’s coming just at the right time as rotary wing demand is about to skyrocket in India and there’s is significant room internationally for such types.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
So excited for this beast to enter service. It will revolutionise India’s aviation market I am certain of it.

I’ll bet right now that it is the first Indian aircraft that will exceed 1000 units in service. It’s coming just at the right time as rotary wing demand is about to skyrocket in India and there’s is significant room internationally for such types.
I want same to be happened with small passenger planes as well. It is going to boom and we don't have our own.

Enquirer

Internationally the trend is towards autonomous drones (quad copters etc.)
The conventional single rotor helicopters will not find much favor among the civilian users - it'll be a declining trend.
Even in the military circles, the pusher concept will gain increasing favor (hope HAL's 'heavy' helicopter design can incorporate it; and not be stuck with some decades old design concept!)
But yes, Indian military can use a ton of LUHs - designed to work in high altitude situations.

Enquirer

Can HAL LUH fitted with machine guns pods and rockets.
Yes. But very limited, as it's payload capacity is low.
Unlike ALH/LCH that carries a 20mm canon, LUH might at best carry a 12.7 mm gun, and rocket pods with 3-4 rounds each.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Russian Helicopters signs MoUs to localise Kamov-226T production

Price negotiations for the final contract are yet to begin
Russian Helicopters has signed memorandums of understandings (MoUs) with five Indian companies to localise components for the Kamov-226T utility helicopter chosen by India. However, price negotiations for the final contract are yet to begin, according to a senior company official.

“By the requirements of the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP), the localisation under Make in India is more than 50%. We promised to localise significantly more than that … It is necessary to transfer documentation to manufacture stuff and to organise after-sales support,” Andrey Boginsky, CEO of Russian Helicopters, said after singing the MoUs with Indian companies at Aero India here on Wednesday.

Mr. Boginsky said that Russia was ready to localise after-sales support which has been a constant worry for the armed force with respect to Russian equipment.

The MoUs were signed with Elcom, Valdel Advanced Technologies, Dynamatic Technologies, Integrated Helicopter Services, and Bharat Forge, covering assemblies such as fuselage, blades, radio station, and landing gear.

India and Russia have concluded an inter-governmental agreement (IGA) for 200 helicopters estimated to cost over $1 billion. As per the deal, 60 helicopters will be imported from Russia and at least another 140 will be built in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) with technology transfer.

As part of the IGA, a joint venture (JV) has already been set up between HAL and Russia’s Rostec – JSC Rosoboronexport and Russian Helicopters.

As per procedure, the Defence Ministry has issued a request for proposal to the JV and Mr. Boginsky said that all responses had been provided to the Ministry.

“The price negotiations have not started,” he said, and added that eventually they would be tying up with about 15 Indian companies for component manufacture.

Victor Kladov, director for international cooperation and regional policy at Rostec state corporation, said they were also keen to offer the maritime variant of the Kamov-226T for the Indian Navy’s tender for 111 Naval Utility Helicopters.

The Kamov-226T helicopters are meant to replace the ageing and obsolete Cheetah and Chetak fleets of the Indian armed forces. The number is expected to go beyond 200, given the large requirement of the services. India and Russia also intend to export the Kamov-226T to third countries after meeting domestic requirement.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...ise-kamov-226t-production/article26325043.ece

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yes. But very limited, as it's payload capacity is low.
Unlike ALH/LCH that carries a 20mm canon, LUH might at best carry a 12.7 mm gun, and rocket pods with 3-4 rounds each.
It has some 1.3 ton of payload and you have to manage all from this only. You can do whatever you want out of this payload. Human carrying capability shall reduce if payload is high.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Russian Helicopters signs MoUs to localise Kamov-226T production

Price negotiations for the final contract are yet to begin

Russian Helicopters has signed memorandums of understandings (MoUs) with five Indian companies to localise components for the Kamov-226T utility helicopter chosen by India. However, price negotiations for the final contract are yet to begin, according to a senior company official.

“By the requirements of the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP), the localisation under Make in India is more than 50%. We promised to localise significantly more than that … It is necessary to transfer documentation to manufacture stuff and to organise after-sales support,” Andrey Boginsky, CEO of Russian Helicopters, said after singing the MoUs with Indian companies at Aero India here on Wednesday.

Mr. Boginsky said that Russia was ready to localise after-sales support which has been a constant worry for the armed force with respect to Russian equipment.

The MoUs were signed with Elcom, Valdel Advanced Technologies, Dynamatic Technologies, Integrated Helicopter Services, and Bharat Forge, covering assemblies such as fuselage, blades, radio station, and landing gear.

India and Russia have concluded an inter-governmental agreement (IGA) for 200 helicopters estimated to cost over $1 billion. As per the deal, 60 helicopters will be imported from Russia and at least another 140 will be built in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) with technology transfer.

As part of the IGA, a joint venture (JV) has already been set up between HAL and Russia’s Rostec – JSC Rosoboronexport and Russian Helicopters.

As per procedure, the Defence Ministry has issued a request for proposal to the JV and Mr. Boginsky said that all responses had been provided to the Ministry.

“The price negotiations have not started,” he said, and added that eventually they would be tying up with about 15 Indian companies for component manufacture.

Victor Kladov, director for international cooperation and regional policy at Rostec state corporation, said they were also keen to offer the maritime variant of the Kamov-226T for the Indian Navy’s tender for 111 Naval Utility Helicopters.

The Kamov-226T helicopters are meant to replace the ageing and obsolete Cheetah and Chetak fleets of the Indian armed forces. The number is expected to go beyond 200, given the large requirement of the services. India and Russia also intend to export the Kamov-226T to third countries after meeting domestic requirement.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...ise-kamov-226t-production/article26325043.ece
We should make Choppers like Russians do. Double counter rotating rotors to carry higher Payload.

Enquirer

It has some 1.3 ton of payload and you have to manage all from this only. You can do whatever you want out of this payload. Human carrying capability shall reduce if payload is high.
I think that might include the fuel & pilots!!

IndianHawk

Country flag
We should make Choppers like Russians do. Double counter rotating rotors to carry higher Payload.
We have developed choppers all light till now.
Because we need them on high altitude where nothing else works effectively not Russian not American.

Now covering that requirement we can move on to heavy choppers .

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
We have developed choppers all light till now.
Because we need them on high altitude where nothing else works effectively not Russian not American.

Now covering that requirement we can move on to heavy choppers .

If we use double rotors , our existing choppers can carry load to even higher altitude.

Deathstar

Country flag
How about tilt rotors like V22 Osprey????there was a news fee years ago that we were interested in Ospreys

IndianHawk

Country flag
If we use double rotors , our existing choppers can carry load to even higher altitude.
Wouldn't that need redesign ? Also wouldn't that consume more fuel reducing range and endurance.

We are anyway developing medium weight helicopter now. Should focus effort on that .

IndianHawk

Country flag
If ultimately Russia pays the right people & India pays Russia to get Kamov-226T... then it's pointless.
It's not pointless it is a technological feat. Which remains with us for further development.

Kamov can eat into some orders but luh is here to stay and will only get better. It probably see more numbers in service than alh dhruv.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
It's not pointless it is a technological feat. Which remains with us for further development.

Kamov can eat into some orders but luh is here to stay and will only get better. It probably see more numbers in service than alh dhruv.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Please the government should fast track this and others as the induction of indeginous products should be treated with utmost importance.

See how they are trying their best to sabotage LCA and atags.they already sabotaged arjun effectively.i think they have their sights on lch too.

How to motivate induction is a question.i think bringing in private indian players like in the case of stage is the best option as it creates a military industrial complex and forces investment in indeginous products while private players also show more passion than most government run factories bar a few.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Please the government should fast track this and others as the induction of indeginous products should be treated with utmost importance.

See how they are trying their best to sabotage LCA and atags.they already sabotaged arjun effectively.i think they have their sights on lch too.

How to motivate induction is a question.i think bringing in private indian players like in the case of stage is the best option as it creates a military industrial complex and forces investment in indeginous products while private players also show more passion than most government run factories bar a few.
Lca mk1 is in manufacturing . Mk1a price negotiation issue is almost solved . Mwf project is already sanctioned under mk2 name .
Alh has been continuously manufactured. Lch is in limited series production. Imrh project sanctioned.

Yet you chose to believe in a narrative then suit yourselves.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
Lca mk1 is in manufacturing . Mk1a price negotiation issue is almost solved . Mwf project is already sanctioned under mk2 name .
Alh has been continuously manufactured. Lch is in limited series production. Imrh project sanctioned.

Yet you chose to believe in a narrative then suit yourselves.
It has happened before in the case of india due to a combination of reasons.dont blame me for being cautious.

IndianHawk

Country flag
It has happened before in the case of india due to a combination of reasons.dont blame me for being cautious.
Ofcourse be cautious. I'm pointing out that our helicopter program is rather successful. And lca program has full support of current government.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles