Falkland Islands part deux

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Hell with Royal navy It is just ONE US Navy CBG that will bring Argentina to its knees

US will NEVER Abandon UK
The did it in 1982, they will do it again. UK will come begging to us to save their a$$.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Knowing British ego and British mentality they will fight tooth and nail if Argentina takes Falklands

The Brits will not allow Argentina and Falklands to go away without a fight

There is too much pride for Britain at stake here

And seeing the pain of their best ally and friend US will have to chip in

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Even if the British military is not ideal, yet one wonders if they will not ensure that it does not lose Falkland.

To show that determination, they have posted the Prince of Wales to do a stint of military service in Falklands.

panduranghari

Nope. Chavez has a double side of his; his nation is one of the largest suppliers of guaranteed oil to USA other than Canada. While Chavez might pretend to be anti-American, he isn't much. But most South American regimes dislike the European colonial regimes badly. Especially the British. Why would US spoil its backyard needlessly for UK?
He may have a double side, however currently the US hating side is dominating him.

Are you aware of the US Saudi deal to trade oil? The history of ARAMCO etc.

"In Saudi Arabia, gold coins have always been important in the monetary system. For years, in fact, paper money was unacceptable, and to pay royalties to the government, Aramco once flew kegs of both gold and silver coins to jiddah. In 1952, when the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency (SAMA) was formed, the first coin issued was a Saudi sovereign – a gold coin equal in weight and value to the British sovereign – that was later demonetized and today sells for about $124.

To collectors, however, the most interesting Saudi gold coins weren't coins at all; they were "gold discs" Similar to coins, they were minted by the Philadelphia Mint in the 1940's for Aramco, and bore, on one side, the U. S. Eagle and the legend "U. S. Mint, Philadelphia, USA" and, on the other side, three lines on the fineness and weight. They looked like coins, they were used as coins, but, technically, they weren't coins.

In the 1950's, numismatists were puzzled by these "discs" until-in 1957 – the story emerged in The Numismatist. Aramco, required to pay royalties and other payments in gold to the Saudi government, could not obtain the gold at the monetary price fixed by the United States so the U. S. government specifically began to mint the "discs" – actually bullion in coin form for these payments. In 1945, for example, the mint turned out 91,210 large discs worth $20, and, in 1947,121,364 small discs worth $5, according to The Numismatist.

Because most of the discs were melted down for bullion, or later redeemed for the Kingdom's gold sovereigns, the discs are interesting additions to art collections. But care is necessary as counterfeits are common."

(This article appeared on pages 2-5 of the September/October 1981 print edition of Saudi Aramco World. by Robert Obojski.)

On April 14, 1991, the New York Times printed an article by Jed Stevenson on the "disks" in reference to several which were to be sold by Stacks in an upcoming auction in May of 1991. Below are portions of that Article"¦.

"Sometimes coins are minted for the strangest of reasons. Some Saudi Arabian bullion coins, several of which will be auctioned by Stack's early next month, are a prime example.

The coins were struck in Philadelphia by the United States Mint in 1945 and 1947 to satisfy the obligations of the Arabian American Oil Company, or Aramco, which had been set up in Saudi Arabia by four American oil companies. The company was obliged to pay the Saudi Government $3 million a year in oil royalties and its contract specified that the payment be made in gold.

The United States dollar at the time was governed by a gold standard that, at least officially, made the dollar worth one thirty-fifth of an ounce of gold. But the price of gold on the open market had skyrocketed during World War II.

For a time the Saudis accepted payment in United States currency, but by 1945 they were insisting that the payments in gold be resumed. Aramco sought help from the United States Government. Faced with the prospect of either a cutoff of substantial amounts of Middle Eastern oil or a huge increase in the price of Saudi crude, the Government minted 91,120 large gold disks adorned with the American eagle and the words "U.S. Mint — Philadelphia."

Aramco paid for the minting and the bullion. The coins were shipped off to Saudi Arabia.

These bullion coins weighed 493.1 grains, slightly more than a troy ounce, and were 91 2/3 percent gold and 8 1/3 percent copper. The fineness was that of the British sterling system then current in the Middle East. The United States standard was only 90 percent gold.

Most of the coins disappeared. The bullion coins were crated and shipped to Bombay, where the $35-an-ounce American gold was sold for $70 an ounce. Most of the coins were melted into bars and later sold in Macao.

In 1947, Aramco contracted for 121,364 smaller bullion coins with the same design, but weighing just 123.27 grains. Those coins actually saw some popular use in Saudi Arabia and traded for about $12, or 40 silver Saudi riyals. But the popularity declined after Swiss and Lebanese counterfeiters began striking coins that were similar but less valuable.

In 1951, Saudi Arabia began minting its own gold coins and melted down most of the remaining small and large bullion coins from the United States Mint, restriking them as Saudi coins."
Now its believed that the other oil producers never got to see a ounce of gold. Hence they want to move away from USD for good, US however does not want that.

Think about it- what gives US dollar its value? Its usability. If its not used, it is worthless.

Param

There goes the wall of nuke free South America. If this is to be believed, now Brazil and Argentina would plan to become the nuke vanguards of South America.
And America would allow that?

Country flag
Knowing British ego and British mentality they will fight tooth and nail if Argentina takes Falklands

This is more than pride their maybe billions of barrels of oil in the waters of South America.

panduranghari

Willingness to fight tooth and nail and ability to fight tooth and nail are 2 different things.

weg

This is more than pride their maybe billions of barrels of oil in the waters of South America.
There was no oil in 1982 and still uncertain if its viable to recover at this point.

Its not pride, would you allow 3000 of your citizens to be held captive by Spanish conquistadors who main claim on the island is a French colony that was kicked out after a few years, 170 years ago?

South America was given to Portugal and North America to Spain by the Pope. This has never been accepted by the British, French or countries. The British Queen took expert advice and concluded that it was bollocks.

The Spanish won't have a chance in hell of taking the Falklands. Its airforce is one quarter the size it was in 1982 and consist of the same aircraft - they havn't even been upgraded. Four typhoons could wipe out the lot in a few hours.
UK defense spending has been based on defense of the Falklands since 1982. The RAF has plenty of Tanker and transport aircraft with the range and capacity to reinforce the islands. The A400M will allow resupply even if RAF Mount pleasant is lost. The base is very well designed against attack, even a very large bomb in the runway could be repaired within hours

The Type 45 destroyer is claimed to be able to wipe out the whole of S.American's air forces, not just Spanish Argentina.

A nuclear attack sub is always on station.

Any landing can be contested quickly using the road that was built around the island.

There is no chance in hell the Spanish colonists will attempt to attack and even if they did they have zero chance of success.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Well that Island does not belong to anyone except the Indians and we are the real Indians.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Those islands belong to France. We had the first colony and it is named Malvinas after Malouines named by Bougainville. The EEZ is sitting on 5-6 billion bbl. We must use our superior power to take the oil.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Argentinian Airforce is a Vintage museum, they have not upgraded their airforce since the last Falklands war, they did get whacked if they did anything funny.

weg

Those islands belong to France. We had the first colony and it is named Malvinas after Malouines named by Bougainville. The EEZ is sitting on 5-6 billion bbl. We must use our superior power to take the oil.

Indeed, France has more claim than the Spaniards. But they have never shown any interest. Spain continued to claim possession long after its colony became independent, but gave up and conceded to Britain.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Royal Navy Air Force is a vintage museum, they don't have an airforce. They will get whacked and look funny.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
^That is also true, what do they have now? A few Harriers left? I heard even the newer carrier plans where shelved. They do how ever have Destroyers, either way if Argentina spends 10 billion on modernization they can win the war. Argentinian airforce still flies the IAI Nesher right now!!!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
^That is also true, what do they have now? A few Harriers left? I heard even the newer carrier plans where shelved. They do how ever have Destroyers, either way if Argentina spends 10 billion on modernization they can win the war. Argentinian airforce still flies the IAI Nesher right now!!!
argentina needs a few advances ships, s300, bhramos and some su30's

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
All the Harriers are sold to USMC for spares after they just underwent a £500 million upgrade. They don't even have Nimrods which means no fixed-wing assets. Let us say you are General Grando of Argentina, what do you spend $10 billion on to take Malvines?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
All the Harriers are sold to USMC for spares after they just underwent a £500 million upgrade. They don't even have Nimrods which means no fixed-wing assets. Let us say you are General Grando of Argentina, what do you spend $10 billion on to take Malvines?
That was pathetic, i always thought IN should have bought those but i guess IN is going in for VTOL aircrafts.

If I was general grando and i am going to war, i would buy all the second hand Mirage 2000 from UAE for knock down price, upgrade them to 5 standards, then get 35 Su-30s about 100 good cheap Chinese fighters fit them with Israeli avionics and radars. Get 10 landing crafts, 10 SAM stations, 10 German super silent submarines, 3 AWACS from Israel. I think i am in budget so far.

If you where Lord Lundballs how would you counter me with what you have? No US support.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
That was pathetic, i always thought IN should have bought those but i guess IN is going in for VTOL aircrafts.

If I was general grando and i am going to war, i would buy all the second hand Mirage 2000 from UAE for knock down price, upgrade them to 5 standards, then get 35 Su-30s about 100 good cheap Chinese fighters fit them with Israeli avionics and radars. Get 10 landing crafts, 10 German super silent submarines, 3 AWACS from Israel. I think i am in budget so far.

If you where Lord Lundballs how would you counter me with what you have? No US support.
and why would israel and germany sell to argentina ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles