Falkland Islands part deux

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
no chance of it happening. israelis are not idiots...why would they make enemies of the british ?

what will they gain from argentina ?
Why would Argentina say that it is going to War with UK? They would just do an normal defense upgrade program and one day invade preemptively.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Why would Argentina say that it is going to War with UK? They would just do an normal defense upgrade program and one day invade preemptively.
not everyone is naive specially those that sit behind the scenes and advice the govt's of various countries.

argentina can only buy from russia, china or us. Even france is a good bet but they'll have pressure from british and eu.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
not everyone is naive specially those that sit behind the scenes and advice the govt's of various countries.

argentina can only buy from russia, china or us. Even france is a good bet but they'll have pressure from british and eu.
Dont think so, they already have Israeli fighters or armaments in their military.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
That was pathetic, i always thought IN should have bought those but i guess IN is going in for VTOL aircrafts.

If I was general grando and i am going to war, i would buy all the second hand Mirage 2000 from UAE for knock down price, upgrade them to 5 standards, then get 35 Su-30s about 100 good cheap Chinese fighters fit them with Israeli avionics and radars. Get 10 landing crafts, 10 SAM stations, 10 German super silent submarines, 3 AWACS from Israel. I think i am in budget so far.
Where will you get the personnel to man the equipment? They must be trained in their use and that takes a lot of time and money.

What about logistics for the operation? Argentina does not have experience operating most of the equipment that you mentioned; logistic chains will have to be built afresh, which will be time-consuming and expensive as well.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That was pathetic, i always thought IN should have bought those but i guess IN is going in for VTOL aircrafts.

If I was general grando and i am going to war, i would buy all the second hand Mirage 2000 from UAE for knock down price, upgrade them to 5 standards, then get 35 Su-30s about 100 good cheap Chinese fighters fit them with Israeli avionics and radars. Get 10 landing crafts, 10 SAM stations, 10 German super silent submarines, 3 AWACS from Israel. I think i am in budget so far.

If you where Lord Lundballs how would you counter me with what you have? No US support.
SSNs and Aster-30s are the game changers. It makes it all but impossible to approach by air or by sea. You need to buy something to neutralise it while getting your troops ashore.

weg

SSNs and Aster-30s are the game changers. It makes it all but impossible to approach by air or by sea. You need to buy something to neutralise it while getting your troops ashore.
Aster is installed on the Type 45 destroyer of course, stationed off Falklands now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Daring_(D32).

Argentina has no money, they went bankrupt again in 2001 and their currency devalued by 70%.

The British destroyed 75% of their air force and since then the remainder has, basically, rotted. Nobody is supplying argentina with military equipment even if they could afford it.

As much as I love the Harrier, they were very very old. Keeping the Tornado's and Typhoons is a better bet than the Harriers which are a certain dead end. I thought they were a good fit for India, but the deal with the US was about helping a ally keeping their Harriers flying to cover the F-35 delay.

The fact is the UK doesn't need a carrier to defend the Falklands and therefore it doesn't need the harriers. The islands are the most powerful, unsinkable aircraft carrier in the South Atlantic.

BTW, Argentina's defense spending is 0.9% of GDP. $3billion per year.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Argentina to invade Falklands after 30th anniversary furore dies down, commander warns - Telegraph
In one of the starkest warnings over the islands' future sovereignty Major Gen Julian Thompson said once the reinforced garrison and naval presence disappears at the end of this year Buenos Aires will look to repeat its 1982 action.

"The Argentines could invade and seize the Falkland Islands again," he said in a speech to the Royal United Services Institute, the respected military think tank.

The former Royal Marine disclosed that after the British Government was "alerted" by the Argentina president Cristina Kirchner "stoking the sovereignty fires" it discretely reinforced the Falklands garrison and naval presence.

This would make an invasion "highly unlikely" this year but "in a few years time however, when the fuss has died down, and the UK's guard is lowered, an Argentine coup de main operation to take the airfield is perfectly attainable".

W.G.Ewald

Professional
British nuclear submarine sent to Falklands

Sub on way to Falklands | Mail Online
A fearsome Royal Navy nuclear-powered submarine is on its way to the Falklands as tensions simmer on the 30th anniversary of Britain's war with Argentina.

HMS Talent, armed with Tomahawk missiles, was despatched in a show of power after Argentina increased friction over the disputed islands with a host of inflammatory stunts.

The Trafalgar-class 'hunter-killer' vessel arrived in secrecy at a port in South Africa this week.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nuclear sub diplomacy... this is becoming in vogue in these days of formidable anti-ship missiles.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
( It's irritating to see BBC quote almost every word in the article :rolleyes:)
-----

Argentina accused of Falkland Islands 'blockade'

Argentina is trying to impose an "economic blockade" on the Falkland Islands, Foreign Office Minister Jeremy Browne says.

Mr Browne, who is visiting the islands next week, accused Buenos Aires of impeding the development of the tourism in the islands.

Argentina has been turning away cruise ships carrying the British flag.

It has also said oil exploration by five British companies off the islands was "illegal" and "clandestine".

This was a classification that, according to the Argentine government, paves the way for immediate criminal proceedings.
BBC News - Argentina accused of Falkland Islands 'blockade'

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So, what is Britain planning to do now?

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Quite convenient, btw this article has comments

he Falkland Islands will hold a referendum on its "political status" in a bid to end the dispute with Argentina over the archipelago's sovereignty.

The islands' government made the announcement ahead of the anniversary on marking 30 years since the end of Argentina's 74-day occupation in 1982.

It said it wanted to send a firm message to Argentina that islanders want to remain British.

The UK prime minister said Britain would support the result of the vote.

The referendum will be organised by the Falkland Islands government and will take place in the first half of next year.
Falkland Islands to hold referendum on sovereignty

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Falkland Islanders vote 98.8% in favour of staying British

LONDON: Falkland Islanders on Monday voted overwhelmingly in favour of remaining a British oversees territory in a referendum designed to send a strong message to Argentina, which earlier derided the poll as illegal.

Some 92 percent of the islands' 1,672 eligible voters turned out to deliver a 98.8 per cent "yes" vote in favour of staying an internally self-governing British territory, election officials in capital Port Stanley announced.

Only three votes were cast against the islands remaining British.

The resounding "yes" result, delivered at around 22:30 pm (0130 GMT) on the remote South Atlantic archipelago, was not in doubt, setting the stage for an after-vote party.

Argentina, which invaded the islands in 1982 before its troops were ousted by a British task force after a short but bloody war, maintained its dismissive line on the vote.

"It's a manoeuvre with no legal value, which has neither been convened nor supervised by the United Nations," said Alicia Castro, Argentina's ambassador to London.

"We respect their way of life, their identity. We respect that they want to continue being British, but the territory they inhabit is not British," she told Buenos Aires radio station La Red.

-AFP

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Expected result. And not surprising either. Argentines expected this result and has already denounced the referendum. Clearly the people of the place have no wish to part with the Brits.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Argentina's Fernandez asks Pope to intervene over Falklands | Reuters

Argentinian President Cristina Fernandez has asked Pope Francis to intervene in support of Buenos Aires in a dispute with Britain over the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.

Fernandez had lunch with the former Buenos Aires Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio in the Vatican shortly after arriving in Rome to attend his inaugural papal mass on Tuesday.

"I asked for his intervention on the question of the Malvinas," she told reporters afterwards, using the Argentinian name for the islands.

Fernandez added that she hoped that Francis could help "to avoid problems that might emerge from the militarization of Great Britain in the south Atlantic".

A Vatican spokesman said he would make no comment on Fernandez's remarks on Monday, but the Holy See may be irritated by an attempt so early in the papacy to draw Francis into a political dispute - which popes traditionally avoid.

Fernandez, who has led Argentina for six years, has mounted an increasingly vocal campaign to renegotiate the sovereignty of the archipelago, which Britain has resisted, causing a series of diplomatic rows.

British Prime Minister David Cameron said last week that Pope Francis, the first Latin American pontiff, had been wrong to say in 2012 when he was archbishop of Buenos Aires that Britain had "usurped" the disputed islands from Argentina.

The year before Bergoglio said that the islands were "ours", a view which most Argentinians share.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Clever ploy, that referendum. Pakistan could probably hold a similar referendum in POK, and all the Pakjabi settlers would undoubtedly vote to remain under Pakistani rule. :rolleyes:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles