F-18 for India ?

Gessler

Country flag
F-18 might be the perfect balance between cost & quality, but buying Rafales in several smaller batches makes most sense.

That at we'll get Rafales F4, F5, F6 etc.
Look at our Su-30s, even the ones being made now are of same 2001 standard!!!
No way is Mig-35!
Just Google up the glaring issues both IAF & IN has had with Mig-29, Mig-29K, Mig-35 (during MMRCA trials). Not to mention being underpowered, unreliable, low availablity (30%!!!), low quality tech & high operating cost.

If they are going cost effective than it could be F-18 SH, which has much lower buying cost than Rafales & much lower operating/maintanence cost than Mig-35.

But most probably there'd be Rafale in multiple small batches...
The F/A-18E/F (let alone the more advanced variant offered for the competition) is not that much cheaper than Rafale.

But the thing is, we cannot & should not be operating half a dozen types of fighters all doing the same roles, it makes no practical or logistical sense to do so - we'd be right back at square one, just like when we were buying MiG-27s, MiG-29s and Mirage-2000s at the same time (arguably the decision that effed up IAF's fighter procurement).

It makes far more sense to bring in economies of scale and logistical commonality...that will ensure you end up saving more money in long run (in terms of infrastructure, training, and maintenance), more than you'll possibly save by buying a 2nd type of fighter in the same class that's slightly less expensive than the first.

hardip

I think ..

Best Deal + best (balanced)Relation (with USa and Rus) = too Good for india..

This also effective

vayuu1

Country flag
TBH I would go for Rafale, although I would seriously hope we can step up the lca mk2 and amca and produce that before this happens

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Meghavan

Lol @ Mk2 and AMCA.

मक1 भी 50% से ज्यादा बाहरका इंपोर्ट है और वो भी ठीकसे नही चलता और लोगोको AMCA और मक2 का केला खिला दिया है। :lol:

Meghavan

Best hope is get 75 rafales and some other 75/100 single engine fighter to save face.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Lol @ Mk2 and AMCA.

मक1 भी 50% से ज्यादा बाहरका इंपोर्ट है और वो भी ठीकसे नही चलता और लोगोको AMCA और मक2 का केला खिला दिया है। :lol:
No you are wrong. How you can say tejas does not perform perfectly?
Very few planes have a perfect record of not crashing in their testing phase.
And I can tell you tejas is VERY FORGIVING PLANE.
Common man, you are new but atleast I thought whoever come here "do RESEARCH first on weapons by themselves" and then join the community.
If you want to know more about tejas there are many threads search them.
You will know how capable this plane is.
HERE many people are already thinking"what would had happened to mig-21 pilot had he went to war in tejas? "
Things certainly would had not turned out like today as they are.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Lol @ Mk2 and AMCA.

Reported for trolling................

vayuu1

Country flag
If I am not wrong, and pardon for my ignorance, but the critical techs like uttam radar is ready, also I think irst is close to being ready the only problem so far is k10 engine which I am pretty sure will be done as, I think India has made some progress in Crystal Blade tech, our aim should be to be a self reliant power ,in major fields if we can do that we can automatically be a super power.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Lol @ Mk2 and AMCA.

If you don't have any knowledge that how much content is actually imported, you can't understand kind of stuff imported, you can't standard in which terms these percentages are calculated and you got zero clue about kind of technologies available, feasible and unavailable at the moment, refrain from trolling.

Anyways, provide source for your first sentence & then care to provide the basis of percentage calculation before I do. Let's see how much you know.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I think Trump's acting tough game against us in venezuelan oil, medicine and his rising tarrif cosed america this deal.

Better optionis to get some Jet like gripane/F-16 and completely RV it and makeour own fighter like China.
I guess we already have invested years to develop a design platform called Tejas. Bigger planes are to be developed over this platform.

Starting from start again is stupid. Follow copy model of China is very simple line from ignorant people who think getting hands on someone's design is very easy.
Do you know how much technology USA willfully leaked to China?

Snowcat

Country flag
No you are wrong. How you can say tejas does not perform perfectly?
Very few planes have a perfect record of not crashing in their testing phase.
And I can tell you tejas is VERY FORGIVING PLANE.
Common man, you are new but atleast I thought whoever come here "do RESEARCH first on weapons by themselves" and then join the community.
If you want to know more about tejas there are many threads search them.
You will know how capable this plane is.
HERE many people are already thinking"what would had happened to mig-21 pilot had he went to war in tejas? "
Things certainly would had not turned out like today as they are.
Tejas MK1 is a great aircraft , no doubts about that but it's not really upto par with today's standard. The proposed Mk1A should have been the one getting inducted by now instead of the MK1 but the whole system is broken and there isn't much we can do about that. I guess it's one of the reasons why MK1 won't be operating from FOB's .

Meghavan

Tejas MK1 is a great aircraft , no doubts about that but it's not really upto par with today's standard. The proposed Mk1A should have been the one getting inducted by now instead of the MK1 but the whole system is broken and there isn't much we can do about that. I guess it's one of the reasons why MK1 won't be operating from FOB's .
You forgot one thing, over 50% of Mk1 is from outside including American engine.

Indigenous my ass!

Snowcat

Country flag
You forgot one thing, over 50% of Mk1 is from outside including American engine.

Indigenous my ass!
Well it's a start, hoping it will turn into a great platform for future stealth fighters, but for that to happen Indian private defence sector needs to grow in this field and give some serious competition to HAL otherwise it's just going to be the same thing all over again.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Indigenous my ass!
It's less than 40% imported in terms of cost, less than 30% in terms of weight, even lower in terms of parts.
For rest, we would only be listing up the parts. You are free to come up with your own source (if you got any actually or just ranting here).
Well it's a start, hoping it will turn into a great platform for future stealth fighters, but for that to happen Indian private defence sector needs to grow in this field and give some serious competition to HAL otherwise it's just going to be the same thing all over again.
HAL HF-24 Marut wasn't potent platform and IAF didn't want another dud plane. That's why they kept on changing requirements. Today's Tejas is far more advanced than aircraft envisaged when project was started.

There have been certain critical technologies & even resourves which were imported for sure, but Indians' exceptional bothering of "indigenous content" made them undermine own capability. More pathetic, they have love for "Chinese model" copycat. Do they even know how much stuff China itself imports & how many IPRs were bought?

Last edited:

SanjeevM

Country flag
It's not the system is broken. For 10 years during the UPA rule there was no funding for Tejas. In last 5 years under Modi Government, funding has started, IAF is also accepting indigenous technology. Earlier IAF was always looking for foreign maal. This is a change now.

If you want to fix the system, ensure Modi wins 2019 elections so that LCA can progress rapidly.

Major Sahab RR

Country flag

Indigenous my ass!
This person needs to be thrown out with immediate action. We need logical people having decent knowledge for healthy discussion. Such handles should be reported who are abusing without any "given" logic, proof or knowledge. He can join **********, his views, ideology will support their propaganda.
I request fellow mates to isolate him n need not reply to this handle any more.

Meghavan

Even Tejas Mk2 will come after 2022, basically a face saving . Money pit

Global Defence

New threads

Articles