DRDO tests 1000 kg class indigenous guided glide bomb

power_monger

Country flag
Re: India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb. Why That's Important

If this bomb has no motor it also does not have any heat signature ?
Heat Signature No.But is it stealthy? I think it is not as most of the reports suggest that Bombs were activly tracked via radars.So if our radars can track even enemy country radars can also track.Also Perhaps you can see RAM coating gliding bombs for stealth reason.I somehow believe that they will not go for modifying shape to attain stealth as it could affect Aerodyanimic factors and affect the ranges.

But then Glide bombs with low speeds are not really effective in highly defended bases if not fired in a Salvo of 100's. But it would definatly be used to destroy less defended targets in a cost effective manner and safely.

One more question is if we use seekers especially the RF seekers,dont we allow the position of bomb?

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag

Bomb glide to target (which us fixed) so the locally made gps, russian and Indian system will work. No seeker.
Saurav jha posted that there were different terminal seekers used in the test.Like i have already mentioned,India uses MMW seeker for light weight PGM's which is confirmed by satish reddy of RCI. It could be that this one uses same MMW seeker.

We have Sudarshan Laser guided bomb which had a range of just 9 km and had several issues on body rolling. The NG-LGB(next generation laser guided bomb) had a target of 50 Kms which is definatly not the one tested few days back.

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag

@Bhadra ji, I invite you to celebrate this success by our beloved DRDO. This glide bomb, is more like a bird, because, it can actually glide. :D

I also invite @roma ji to celebrate this. :D
DRDO has started to turn things on in this decade.by 2025 India most probably will not import missiles and radars for sure.And most probably ammunitions.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Yup sorry, I should have mentioned the other part of query. So basically it has to travel the other 90 to 95 km with out any propulsion system of its own and only on its wings.

With the known design principles of PGM kits, I would not have any doubts if they said 50-60 km range. 100 km range is rare in PGM and that for me to believe DRDO is ahead of the curve on this aspect is difficult to digest.

Then again it is possible that there is something not mentioned in the article which answers my question.

In other words I do wish this to be another chilli grenade, so much of propaganda yet no practical usage.
DRDO is not ahead of the curve. Look up Rafael Spice family.

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Glider bombs have range from 40-150 kms. Rocket assisted glibers range is 500 kms.

So what drdo has done is great with 100 kg bomb. Now imagine 1000 kgs of CL20 explosive which is equal to 15000 kgs of RDX. 15-20 of these bomb will reduce to ruble GHQ of PA.

We can also reduce the payload and add liquid rocket engine and extend the range. 500 kg of CL20 accurately place will take out big building at mote then 200 range.
AFAIK, ICL-20 is used for propulsion, not as explosives.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Saurav jha posted that there were different terminal seekers used in the test.Like i have already mentioned,India uses MMW seeker for light weight PGM's which is confirmed by satish reddy of RCI. It could be that this one uses same MMW seeker.

We have Sudarshan Laser guided bomb which had a range of just 9 km and had several issues on body rolling. The NG-LGB(next generation laser guided bomb) had a target of 50 Kms which is definatly not the one tested few days back.
It has G3OM for initial navigation + EO seeker for terminal guidance.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

DRDO has started to turn things on in this decade.by 2025 India most probably will not import missiles and radars for sure.And most probably ammunitions.
Already has complete independence in Strategic Missiles (obviously, since no one would share tech on this)

Complete tactical missile autonomy by 2022.

Complete Radar and Sensor autonomy by 2025.

DRDO in this decade is a new beast. Not the sloth of previous decades. All thanks to Dr. Avinash Chander's organizational revamp & implementation of Project Management.

Also this year, for the first time, DRDO got the money it asked for.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Ironically, even the middle air defence missile FD2000 (HQ9) which won the Turkey's case has the operation range of 200km.
Ironically, you do not understand the difference between a Glide Bomb and a SAM.

China has joined the select club of countries that indigenously manufacture effective SAMs. Initially drawing on decades of Russian research, they have re-engineered the highly effective Russian S-300PMU or SA-20 system into the HQ-9. With many obsolete SAMs to replace, China has built a high-capacity production line, and is progressively replacing obsolete SAMs with new SAM systems.
FD-2000 / HQ-9 SAM - China's Strategic 'Game Changer'
A glide bomb or stand-off bomb is an aerial weapon with aerodynamic surfaces to give it a flatter, gliding, flight path than that of a conventional bomb without such surfaces. This allows it to be released at a distance from the target rather than right over it, allowing a successful attack without the aircraft needing to survive until reaching the target.
Two different kettle of fish is a SAM and a GLIDE BOMB.

Chalk and Cheese!

Glide Bomb and Technique

China FD-2000 ( HQ-9 ) Missiles

And your SAM is a copycat stuff.

India is indeed yet to learn how to copycat (as they do in everything) and claim it as its own original as China can do with a straight face and without any shame.

power_monger

Country flag

Already has complete independence in Strategic Missiles (obviously, since no one would share tech on this)

Complete tactical missile autonomy by 2022.

Complete Radar and Sensor autonomy by 2025.

DRDO in this decade is a new beast. Not the sloth of previous decades. All thanks to Dr. Avinash Chander's organizational revamp & implementation of Project Management.

Also this year, for the first time, DRDO got the money it asked for.
Now next year we have some really exciting things - DRDO AIP testing, development trials for Anti shipping missile seeker Agni Canister Launch,Astra missile User trials and probably Induction what more.

Nirbhay Cruis missile sucessfull test was the biggest thing this year.Astra missile Induction would be the biggest think next year

GO DRDO go....

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag
BTW did anyone observe this point?We already seem to have capability to fire PGM's from unmanned Aerial Vehicle.

Saurav Jha's Blog : Seeking the future: An interview with Dr G Satheesh Reddy, Director Research Centre Imarat

SauravJha: What is the MMW seeker meant for?
Satheesh Reddy: It is meant for PGMs and for the next generation anti-radiation missile (NGARM).
SauravJha: PGMs of the kind?
Satheesh Reddy:Like the lightweight PGM under development here in RCI at the moment. This PGM has already been test-fired from an unmanned aerial vehicle and a sizeable number can also be carried by a missile like the Prithvi or by an aircraft like the Su-30 MKI. The Prithvi configuration can be used for attacking runways for example.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Scientists at the DRDO's Pune-based High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) have synthesised adequate quantity of CL-20 in the laboratory. "It is the most powerful non-nuclear explosive known so far," a Defence ministry spokesperson said quoting Dr AK Sikder, the Joint Director of HEMRL.

The compound, Indian CL-20 or ICL-20, was indigenously synthesised at the HEMRL laboratory using inverse technology, he said. A few countries with advanced capabilities in the field of energetic materials have similar capabilities.

The ICL-20 can substantially reduce the weight and size of the warhead while packing much more punch. ICL-20 derives its name from the China Lake facility of the Naval Air Weapons Station in California, US, and was first synthesised in 1987. The compound is Octa-Nitro-Cubane and it is rated four times more powerful than RDX and some 15 times more powerful than the average explosives used by the forces. The ICL-20 looks like limestone or a grainy talcum powder.

Dr Sikder said, "It offers the only option within the next 10-15 years to meet the requirements of the Indian armed forces for futuristic weapons." It can be used in 120-mm main gun mounted on the Arjun tanks. The cost is one factor that could be inhibitive. While a normal explosive costs about Rs 6,000 per kg, the CL-20 would cost a whopping Rs 70,000 per kg.
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

It might serve both the purposes, but primary use is as a propellant.

Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, also called HNIW and CL-20, is a nitroamine explosive with the formula C6H6N12O12, developed by the China Lake facility, primarily to be used in propellants. It has a better oxidizer-to-fuel ratio than conventional HMX or RDX. It produces 20% more energy than traditional HMX-based propellants, and is widely superior to conventional high-energy propellants and explosives.

While most development of CL-20 has been fielded by the Thiokol Corporation, the US Navy (through ONR) has also been interested in CL-20 for use in rocket propellants, such as for missiles, as it has lower observability characteristics such as less visible smoke.
University chemists devise means to stabilize explosive CL-20

Its explosive.
Scientists at the DRDO's Pune-based High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) have synthesised adequate quantity of CL-20 in the laboratory. "It is the most powerful non-nuclear explosive known so far," a Defence ministry spokesperson said quoting Dr AK Sikder, the Joint Director of HEMRL.

The compound, Indian CL-20 or ICL-20, was indigenously synthesised at the HEMRL laboratory using inverse technology, he said. A few countries with advanced capabilities in the field of energetic materials have similar capabilities.

The ICL-20 can substantially reduce the weight and size of the warhead while packing much more punch. ICL-20 derives its name from the China Lake facility of the Naval Air Weapons Station in California, US, and was first synthesised in 1987. The compound is Octa-Nitro-Cubane and it is rated four times more powerful than RDX and some 15 times more powerful than the average explosives used by the forces. The ICL-20 looks like limestone or a grainy talcum powder.

Dr Sikder said, "It offers the only option within the next 10-15 years to meet the requirements of the Indian armed forces for futuristic weapons." It can be used in 120-mm main gun mounted on the Arjun tanks. The cost is one factor that could be inhibitive. While a normal explosive costs about Rs 6,000 per kg, the CL-20 would cost a whopping Rs 70,000 per kg.
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

@Bhadra ji, I invite you to celebrate this success by our beloved DRDO. This glide bomb, is more like a bird, because, it can actually glide. :D
I also invite @roma ji to celebrate this. :D
Very kind of you to remember me and yes , certainly i shall join your celebration - to be accurate i cant claim to
know the totality of the significance of the glide bomb except what i read from the article . Main point seems to me it can
be released outside radar-sensitive territory and glide into the same and has the advantage that the plane
or carrier doesnt not have to travel to the exact spot of detonation but rather the bomb glides to the spot.

Regarding drdo - there were some opinions flying around and i believe i have avoided being too influenced
by them whether one way or the other, nevertheless everyone has to tread cautiously on any public forum
and i remain committed to that policy of caution - this is a statement of prevention rather than cure .

so here it is - well done drdo ! :basanti:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Glide Bomb is also the cheaper way to achieve the result.

pmaitra

Very kind of you to remember me and yes , certainly i shall join your celebration - to be accurate i cant claim to
know the totality of the significance of the glide bomb except what i read from the article . Main point seems to me it can
be released outside radar-sensitive territory and glide into the same and has the advantage that the plane
or carrier doesnt not have to travel to the exact spot of detonation but rather the bomb glides to the spot.

Regarding drdo - there were some opinions flying around and i believe i have avoided being too influenced
by them whether one way or the other, nevertheless everyone has to tread cautiously on any public forum
and i remain committed to that policy of caution - this is a statement of prevention rather than cure .

so here it is - well done drdo ! :basanti:
There was a subtle humour in my comment. I am sure @Bhadra ji will understand. It has something to do with Ornithology. :)

brational

Country flag
If the motive is to safeguard the carrier from enemy air defense then how this glider will penetrate the defenses to be an effective weapon? Can't it be taken down by the enemy SAM during it's flight?

pmaitra

If the motive is to safeguard the carrier from enemy air defense then how this glider will penetrate the defenses to be an effective weapon? Can't it be taken down by the enemy SAM during it's flight?
It might be too small for a radar signature. It will have minimal heat signature.

So, it will be pretty much immune from radio or FLIR tracking.

It could, however, be detected by long wavelength radars.

It will also be rather heavy, so disabling it would require Ack-Ack fire, which is not impossible to achieve.

indiatester

Country flag
As long as it is cheaper than the SAM's (that must be used?) to counter it, I'd say it is a smart "investment"

Meriv90

It might be too small for a radar signature. It will have minimal heat signature.

So, it will be pretty much immune from radio or FLIR tracking.

It could, however, be detected by long wavelength radars.

It will also be rather heavy, so disabling it would require Ack-Ack fire, which is not impossible to achieve.
Or on the "joking" side you could do like the spitfires against the V1.

:shocked:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles