China Economy: News & Discussion

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Protectionist policies for nearly 45 years are what crippled the Indian domestic industry in the first place.
I think these two things are unrelated. Earlier, protectionist policies (license Raj) have prevented investing in India and bred inefficiency and incompetence among the Public sector units which were the main manufacturing industries at that time. But that has changed upon unleashing of economy in 90's and easing of restrictions for investment in India. I don't think India in anyway is restricting China from investing in India.

The anti-dumping duties against China is required otherwise it kills the domestic industries because the products imported from China being cheaper. But the cheaper products coming out of China is due to many different reasons ranging from deliberate currency manipulation to slave labor.

As long as China doesn't play fair, these protection measures will be taken not just by India but also economically liberal western countries. Example being, recent imposing of high tariffs on tires imported from China by Obama. Many countries will also follow suit sooner or later as China will effectively out compete and kill manufacturing industries in many countries which I think is not good for sustainability of world economy.

badguy2000

Respected Member
overladen protectism is always a slow poison to domestic industries. it would make domestic industries incompetent and inefficient in the front of foreign counters...

anyhow, demostec industries under the protection is just always as weak as flowers in greenhouse. they can not resist any wind or rain,however gentle the wind or rain is!

Today ,it is because India protect its domestic industry too much and too long that India industries become so incompetent in the front of Chinese counterpart.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I think people here to understand basic difference between anti dumping and protectionism

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
overladen protectism is always a slow poison to domestic industries. it would make domestic industries incompetent and inefficient in the front of foreign counters...

anyhow, demostec industries under the protection is just always as weak as flowers in greenhouse. they can not resist any wind or rain,however gentle the wind or rain is!

Today ,it is because India protect its domestic industry too much and too long that India industries become so incompetent in the front of Chinese counterpart.
No country has greater overladen protectionism than the PRC. The results are exactly as you say, incompetent and innefficient domestic industry. CCP has the largest portfolio of junk they have to bail out every five years or so. How do they survive the rain, CCP stops up the flow with cash until it breaks the dam and flushes it down the toilette with never ending tranches of loans.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag

Badguy.....you still have a tendency to talk to people on this forum like we are all a bunch of f*cking retards.
China moving ahead of India in industrial production has diddly squat to do with protectionism.
It has everything to do with the fact that the Chinese communist system has the following characteristics.

1) quick decisions - no debates because of a dictatorial system. No goverment bureaucracy to deal with.

2) No land disputes - peasants have no rights, land can be taken away or slum cleared for factories, with peasants getting minimal compensation.

3) No unions for workers, workers can be treated like shit by big companies.

4) No strikes and you may even be killed if you strike. Workers have no rights and can be fired for any reason anytime.

5) No workplace safety regulation or enforcement. No employee lawsuits to worry about. If you die on the job or get killed in an accident, all the company needs to do is bribe a few key local officials.

6) No environmental regulation enforcement - foreign and local companies can pollute the country as much as they like, and any damage caused by pollution to the health of local people is usually covered up by bribes.

7) Good infrastructure - China's infrastructure investment is far ahead of India.
India has only begun investing in infrastructure in the last 10 years.

8) Endless supply of peasants from the countryside, who are willing to work for peanuts.

9) The artifically low value of the Chinese Yuan - a game that you can only play for so long.

To be fair, some of the conditions listed above may slowing be changing and therefore the cost of doing business in China is steadily going up. Plus some of the items listed above may also be true for India but not as bad.

Now, Lets cut the crap and really be honest here - You have as much protectionism of state industries in China as India does.

As for corruption - both countries are terrible. The only difference is that when corrupt officials are caught in China, the CCP makes a big show by executing them after a quick "show" trial.
In India, you have to spend a few years prosecuting the guy and even then, no one has ever been executed for corruption. No as good a deterrent but definitely more humane !!

I think that Indian private manufacturing industry is not that far behind China in terms of efficiency. The only reason they may lag a bit is because of the weaker infrastructure and local supply chains. In industries that do not require a lot of infrastructure support; then India is as good or even better than China - like IT and software.

Badguy....whatever you may think of India and Indians, in the era of a knowledge economy, I dont think that Indian companies are afraid of open and fair competition with China. The political system that has held the creativity of the Indian people back is changing and the political system will become less relevant in the future.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Badguy.....you still have a tendency to talk to people on this forum like we are all a bunch of f*cking retards.
China moving ahead of India in industrial production has diddly squat to do with protectionism.
you have a tendency to simplify the case tooo much....

It has everything to do with the fact that the Chinese communist system has the following characteristics.

1) quick decisions - no debates because of a dictatorial system. No goverment bureaucracy to deal with.
the case in China is not as simple as you understand.

in China, everybody or every units has its own interests as other countries do.

Chinese status quo is always the balance of all players' interests in CHinese society. Beijing is just a powerful one of many players.

CCP is not God. Once other players don't buy CCP's decision, they always have their subtle ways to put CCP's decision aside....

For example, Beijing frequently orders Chinese local government to suppress the rocketing price of house-price. But Chinese local government always manage to put Beijing's order in subtle ways,because higher house price is in the interest of local governments.

2) No land disputes - peasants have no rights, land can be taken away or slum cleared for factories, with peasants getting minimal compensation.
how to explain it? Generally speaking, Chinese government has to pay much more compensation than Indian goverment does .

the difference is that CHinese government can afford those compensation while India government can not, because Bejing is much richer than New Delhi.

3) No unions for workers, workers can be treated like shit by big companies.
partly truth.

however, In my eyes, a job with a montly salary of 150-200 USA is always much better than begging in street without any dignity.

IMHO, begging in streets homeless is the worst, isn't it?

4) No strikes and you may even be killed if you strike. Workers have no rights and can be fired for any reason anytime.
well, beggers need not worry about "fired for any reason anytime", because he is not fired at all.

5) No workplace safety regulation or enforcement. No employee lawsuits to worry about. If you die on the job or get killed in an accident, all the company needs to do is bribe a few key local officials.
agree....
however
how about the safe record in India?

6) No environmental regulation enforcement - foreign and local companies can pollute the country as much as they like, and any damage caused by pollution to the health of local people is usually covered up by bribes.
how abou that in India?
7) Good infrastructure - China's infrastructure investment is far ahead of India.
India has only begun investing in infrastructure in the last 10 years.
IMHO, the gap is being widen still. yearly additional Highspeed railway in China is even longer than yearly additonal highways in India, although hgih-speed railways cost 10 times more than highways.

8) Endless supply of peasants from the countryside, who are willing to work for peanuts.
do India peasants earn more than Chinese peasant?

R

rockdog

Huawei win big contract in Sweden at 4G?
-----------------------
Huawei strikes more blows to Ericsson

Published: Friday 18 December 2009
Region: Europe
Tags: Huawei Ericsson TeliaSonera Tele2 Telenor Net4Mobility
Chinese vendor Huawei has struck another major blow to its western rivals, with news this morning that it has won an LTE network deal at Net4Mobility, the Swedish joint venture of Tele2 and Telenor. Net4Mobility’s CEO, Karl-Johan Nybell, confirmed to Mobile Business Briefing that Huawei is the sole supplier thus far, a deal which will no doubt irk Ericsson given that deployment will be in the Swedish vendor’s home country. Net4Mobility is a joint venture established in April from Telenor and Tele2’s decision to pool resources to build a national LTE network in Sweden. The company's mission is "to build and operate Sweden's most extensive network for next generation mobile communications." The new mobile network will cover 99 percent of the population and aims to enable Telenor and Tele2 to offer its customers mobile services for data communication (LTE) and voice (GSM). The network will be launched in 2010.

"We are disappointed that we did not manage to reach an agreement with Net4Mobility," said Mikael Backstrom, head of Ericsson Nordics and Baltics, according to a Dow Jones Newswires report. "In the negotiations, we went down as far as we could in price, but it was not enough." Ericsson, together with European peers Alcatel Lucent and Nokia Siemens Networks, has faced increased pressure from Huawei in recent quarters. Last month, Telenor chose the Chinese vendor to upgrade its entire Norwegian network, replacing gear provided by Ericsson and Nokia Siemens Networks. Earlier this week, Swedish operator TeliaSonera launched the world's first commercial LTE mobile services in Oslo, Norway and Stockholm, Sweden. The Stockholm network is provided by Ericsson while Huawei got the contract in Oslo. Adding further fuel to the Huawei/Ericsson rivalry, Mobile Business Briefing received a note today from Huawei’s media agency in the UK citing an interview with TeliaSonera’s CTO Lars Klasson in Ny Teknik, the largest tech and IT newspaper in Sweden. In the interview, Klasson is alleged to have said that the Oslo network (powered by Huawei) has reached peak download speeds of 96 Mb/s, whilst the Stockholm network (powered by Ericsson) reached peaks of 43-44 Mb/s. There is some good news for Ericsson today, though; Taiwan’s largest operator, Chunghwa Telecom, has reportedly contracted it for a trial LTE network in northern Taiwan.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
you have a tendency to simplify the case tooo much....

the case in China is not as simple as you understand.

in China, everybody or every units has its own interests as other countries do.

Chinese status quo is always the balance of all players' interests in CHinese society. Beijing is just a powerful one of many players.

CCP is not God. Once other players don't buy CCP's decision, they always have their subtle ways to put CCP's decision aside....

For example, Beijing frequently orders Chinese local government to suppress the rocketing price of house-price. But Chinese local government always manage to put Beijing's order in subtle ways,because higher house price is in the interest of local governments.
Yeah, yeah, yeah....We all know that not everyone is going to agree and they will try to subvert the government will. That's not what I am talking about.

The Bottom line is : If the Chinese government deems a project important enough, they can bulldoze anyone out of the way. There is no due process for the citizens to challenge it and all they can hope for is some compensation that some CCP official deems as fair.

In India, they can stop the process completely. If they the landowners dont want to sell the land regardless of what the government is willing to pay, then the government has to try go somewhere else.

Thats what I am talking about.

how to explain it? Generally speaking, Chinese government has to pay much more compensation than Indian goverment does .

the difference is that CHinese government can afford those compensation while India government can not, because Bejing is much richer than New Delhi.
Really....Is that why there are so many Chinese complaining of being screwed by the Officials and given unfair compensation during the Beijing Olympics for the houses that were demolished.

partly truth.

however, In my eyes, a job with a montly salary of 150-200 USA is always much better than begging in street without any dignity.

IMHO, begging in streets homeless is the worst, isn't it?
I dont know where you got the impression that 50% of Indians are homeless and beggars. Maybe you some some pics of homeless people in Big cities in India. I guess if you came to San Francisco and saw how many homeless people there are in SF city - you might even think that 50% of the US are homeless too.

well, beggers need not worry about "fired for any reason anytime", because he is not fired at all.
So all the blue-collar factory workers in India are homeless and beggars according to your theory ??

agree....
however
how about the safe record in India?
Even the most shit-hole corrupt crappily run states in India like Orissa and Bihar probably have a better safety record than China. At least you dont hear of 50-100 poor coal-miners being killed in a coal-mine accidents every 6 months like clockwork every single year ever since I can remember.
And thats only the ones that are published or leaked to the newspapers.

IMHO, the gap is being widen still. yearly additional Highspeed railway in China is even longer than yearly additonal highways in India, although hgih-speed railways cost 10 times more than highways.
I agree that your infrastructure is better but India is finally starting to invest heavily in Infrastructure and will be spending more and more money on it.
It may not look as nice as China but it will improve significantly over the next 20 years.

do India peasants earn more than Chinese peasant?
I dont think anyone has ever conducted a study comparing peasants in both countries and based on the cost of living. I can only speak for the state in India where my family lives which is Kerala. A rubber tapper who works for my Dad makes about Rs. 4000 - Rs 5000 per month(USD $100 per month). If you pay less, you wont even get anyone to work for you. Many people who own smaller rice paddies have stopped planting rice since the cost of labor is higher than the value of the harvest.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah....We all know that not everyone is going to agree and they will try to subvert the government will. That's not what I am talking about.

The Bottom line is : If theChinese government deems a project important enough, they can bulldoze anyone out of the way. There is no due process for the citizens to challenge it and all they can hope for is some compensation that some CCP official deems as fair.

In India, they can stop the process completely. If they the landowners dont want to sell the land regardless of what the government is willing to pay, then the government has to try go somewhere else.

Thats what I am talking about.

Really....Is that why there are so many Chinese complaining of being screwed by the Officials and given unfair compensation during the Beijing Olympics for the houses that were demolished.
well, I heard that Indian government demolished some slums without any compensation. the little actors of "slumdog millionair " lost their home due to it.

I dont know where you got the impression that 50% of Indians are homeless and beggars. Maybe you some some pics of homeless people in Big cities in India. I guess if you came to San Francisco and saw how many homeless people there are in SF city - you might even think that 50% of the US are homeless too.
anyhow, the NO. of homeless guys in India does leave most Chinese tourist deep impression.

So all the blue-collar factory workers in India are homeless and beggars according to your theory ??
the problem is that Indian industry can not provide enough blue-collar job to Indian redundant labours ,so that India streets are full of jobless people.

Even the most shit-hole corrupt crappily run states in India like Orissa and Bihar probably have a better safety record than China. At least you dont hear of 50-100 poor coal-miners being killed in a coal-mine accidents every 6 months like clockwork every single year ever since I can remember.
And thats only the ones that are published or leaked to the newspapers.
Chinese produce 15 times more coals than India.

India railways systems is not famous for its safety record.

I agree that your infrastructure is better but India is finally starting to invest heavily in Infrastructure and will be spending more and more money on it.
It may not look as nice as China but it will improve significantly over the next 20 years.
as you refer, Indian current system makes Indian government have neither hard will nor enough money to construct India's infrastructure as rapid and efficiently as CHinese government.

it is has nothing to do with "development" ,but to do with Indian social system.

Unless some changes were to happen to Indian social system, the change of Indian infrastructures would just be a myth.

I dont think anyone has ever conducted a study comparing peasants in both countries and based on the cost of living. I can only speak for the state in India where my family lives which is Kerala. A rubber tapper who works for my Dad makes about Rs. 4000 - Rs 5000 per month(USD $100 per month). If you pay less, you wont even get anyone to work for you. Many people who own smaller rice paddies have stopped planting rice since the cost of labor is higher than the value of the harvest.
I have told you that most peasants workers here earn 150-200 dollars/per month, with free accomodation.
Free accomodation for peasants workers is a routine in CHina.

there are 200+ million peasant workers at least in CHina. they are somewhat like Indian construction workers in Dubai and MD:
they work hard alone and remit most their earns to their families hometowns. their families in hometown then can buy cell phones,TV set, mortorbikes...etc with the remittance.

When those peasants workers lose their jobs ,they usually go back hometown and live on their land. In their rural hometown, life cost is a peanut.their land can support them live through economy depression.

that is how chinese economy works

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
well, I heard that Indian government demolished some slums without any compensation. the little actors of "slumdog millionair " lost their home due to it.
Squatters don't get property rights without title, Chinese evictions are on titled properties most of the case.

anyhow, the NO. of homeless guys in India does leave most Chinese tourist deep impression.
Anyhow, the NO. of homeless children begging on China's city streets leaves most French tourists a deep impression.

the problem is that Indian industry can not provide enough blue-collar job to Indian redundant labours ,so that India streets are full of jobless people.
The problem is that Chinese industry cannot provide enough blue-collar jobs to Chinese migrant labourers, so that Chinese streets are full of of jobless people who have to send their children begging to tourists.

Chinese produce 15 times more coals than India.
Chinese pollute several times more than India.

India railways systems is not famous for its safety record.
Chinese roadways are not famous for theirs.

I have told you that most peasants workers here earn 150-200 dollars/per month, with free accomodation.
Free accomodation for peasants workers is a routine in CHina.

there are 200+ million peasant workers at least in CHina. they are somewhat like Indian construction workers in Dubai and MD:
they work hard alone and remit most their earns to their families hometowns. their families in hometown then can buy cell phones,TV set, mortorbikes...etc with the remittance.

When those peasants workers lose their jobs ,they usually go back hometown and live on their land. In their rural hometown, life cost is a peanut.their land can support them live through economy depression.

that is how chinese economy works
I think you mean migrant workers, there are far more than 200 million that are peasant workers.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I think these two things are unrelated. Earlier, protectionist policies (license Raj) have prevented investing in India and bred inefficiency and incompetence among the Public sector units which were the main manufacturing industries at that time. But that has changed upon unleashing of economy in 90's and easing of restrictions for investment in India. I don't think India in anyway is restricting China from investing in India.

The anti-dumping duties against China is required otherwise it kills the domestic industries because the products imported from China being cheaper. But the cheaper products coming out of China is due to many different reasons ranging from deliberate currency manipulation to slave labor.

As long as China doesn't play fair, these protection measures will be taken not just by India but also economically liberal western countries. Example being, recent imposing of high tariffs on tires imported from China by Obama. Many countries will also follow suit sooner or later as China will effectively out compete and kill manufacturing industries in many countries which I think is not good for sustainability of world economy.
daredevil, actually this is very much related.

The poor work culture and industrial ethos brought on by years of protectionism is merely the manifestation of a problem, not necessarily the problem itself. The primary issue is the lack of sustainable domestic substitutes*.

Unlike other countries who have successfully implemented protectionist policies to foster their domestic industries ( Korea, Japan and China come to mind); India has managed to produce no such results despite multiple attempts, and this is unlikely to change. It is interesting to note that despite India being at the fore front of telecom engineering development (even ZTE has an R&D center in India) its success hasn't translated into production.

The elephant in the room is and has always been labor reform. Unless the government of India builds up the fortitude required to implements labor reform no domestic industries are going to step up to the game and successfully meet the demands of the consumer. India may have started a path toward liberalizing its economy, but its labor situation remains archaic and diseased as ever. A false sense of security from the surging economy can prove to be a deadly trap.

I'm not saying that anti dumping laws are necessarily a bad thing; but it can be damaging to a society unless the groundwork for sustainable domestic substitutes is laid appropriately.

* Dr. Kaushik Basu has done a lot of excellent work in this arena.

N.B. And speaking of anti dumping laws in regards to China: badguy2000 for fux sake mate, stop loading this thread with horse$hit. Nobody cares about your useless "arguments" and endless crap internet links. Either do the background work and contribute by adding value to this discussion or just keep away.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
China?s Speeding Bullet-Train Program May Brake Economic Growth - Bloomberg.com

Dec. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Train C2019 covers the 120 kilometers between Beijing and Tianjin in 30 minutes, passing peasants in fields burning corn stalks and warrens of shacks occupied by people who aren’t sharing in China’s economic boom.

The line is part of China’s 2 trillion yuan ($292.9 billion) investment in a nationwide high-speed passenger-rail network that may be too much train, too fast.

The time savings that the new system delivers may not justify the cost, creating a potential drag on long-term growth, said Michael Pettis, former head of emerging markets at Bear Stearns Cos. The losers are Chinese consumers, who will have to wait for new health-care and old-age benefits while the government focuses on public-works spending, he said.

While the expanded service will be a “trophy” for China, the country “already has probably the best infrastructure in the world for its level of development,” said Pettis, now a finance professor at Peking University.

China accelerated its high-speed-rail development plan last year in the wake of the global financial crisis, saying it would increase the passenger network by a third to 16,000 kilometers (9,944 miles) by 2020.

Montreal-based Bombardier Inc., the world’s largest maker of passenger locomotives, and Munich-based Siemens AG are helping to build the system. Bombardier’s Chinese joint venture won a $4 billion contract in September to build 80 high-speed trains. Siemens, Europe’s largest engineering company, and Chinese partners received a 750 million-euro ($1.08 billion) order in March for 100 trains.

Most Expensive

The centerpiece of the service is a 1,318-kilometer line with 16 kilometers of tunnels that will cut the trip between Beijing and Shanghai to five hours from 10. Set to open by 2012, the 221 billion-yuan project currently employs 127,000 workers and is the most expensive engineering program in Chinese history, eclipsing the Yangtze River’s Three Gorges Dam, the world’s biggest hydroelectric project, which cost 203.9 billion yuan.

Spending on railroads is growing faster than on any other area of investment, rising 80.7 percent to 464.6 billion yuan in the first 11 months of the year from the same period in 2008, according to China’s National Bureau of Statistics.

Investment in fixed assets such as factories and the rail network accounted for more than 95 percent of China’s 7.7 percent growth in the first three quarters of 2009 and made up 45 percent of gross domestic product, which is higher than any major economy in history, according to Morgan Stanley Asia Chairman Stephen Roach.

‘Ridiculous, Unsustainable’

Without a surge in consumer spending and with export growth stalled, investment must rise even further to stoke growth, he said in a Dec. 18 Beijing speech.

“These are ridiculous, unsustainable numbers for any economy,” he said.

China may be hit with a slowdown next year as the impact of the investment-led expansion wears off and shipments to the U.S., the traditional external source of growth, fail to pick up, Roach said in an October report. He didn’t specify how much growth might slow.

Some economists say the high-speed network is symbolic of a stimulus program that places too much emphasis on infrastructure spending and not enough on raising living standards in a Communist country where the average urban worker made 28,898 yuan last year, a tenth of the $39,653 average wage in the U.S., according todata from the U.S. and Chinese governments.

Most Chinese rail travelers won’t pay the premium to ride on the fast trains, Zhao Jian, a professor of economics at Beijing Jiaotong University, said in a September interview on Chinese television.

Slower Train

A second-class one-way ticket for the half-hour Beijing- Tianjin trip costs 58 yuan, about three-quarters of the workers’ average daily pay. A so-called hard-seat ticket on a slower train, which covers the distance in two hours, sells for 11 yuan.

Passenger reluctance means revenue from the high-speed lines won’t be enough to service the debt if railway expansion continues at its current pace, Zhao said in the TV interview. China’s Ministry of Railways has 383 billion yuan in bonds outstanding.

“If America had its subprime crisis, in China we have a railroad-debt crisis, or you could call it a government-debt crisis,” Zhao said in the TV interview.

China’s railway ministry says the new system makes economic sense: A two-track bullet train can transport 160 million people a year, compared with 80 million for a four-lane highway, it said in a Dec. 21 faxed statement.

“The safest, fastest, most economical, most environmentally friendly, most reliable mode of transport is high-speed rail,” the ministry said.

Tribute to Mao

The fast trains leave from Beijing South railway station, a new glass and steel structure that looks like a flying saucer. The slower trains depart from the half-century-old Beijing Station, where the clock tower marks the hour by playing “The East is Red,” a tribute to Mao Zedong that was popular during China’s 1966-76 Cultural Revolution.

Sitting on the stiff green benches in car 13 of train 4401, Yuan Hong, 40, says she doesn’t mind the old line’s extra 90 minutes.

“It’s a huge price difference,” says Yuan, who works as a cleaner in Tianjin. “This is the train the common people take.”

ppgj

World's fastest rail journey starts operation

Xinhua WUHAN, December 26, 2009

SPEEDING BULLET: The Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed railway cut the 1,068.6 km journey to three hours from the previous 10 and a half hours, reaching a maximum speed of 394.2 km per hour. Photo: AP

The Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed railway with the world’s fastest train journey with a 350 km-per-hour average speed, started operation on Saturday.

Two passenger trains rolled out the Wuhan Railway Station and Guangzhou North Railway Station, cutting the 1,068.6 km journey to three hours from the previous 10 and a half hours.

The service between Wuhan, a metropolis in central China, and Guangzhou City, a business hub in the southern Guangdong Province, was put into trial operation on Dec. 9, reaching a maximum speed of 394.2 km per hour.

In 2004, China hailed the completion of the rail line from Guangzhou to Shenzhen, both in Guangdong Province, with a speed of 160 km per hour. Now the speed more than doubled within five years, said Xu Fangliang, general engineer in charge of designing the Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed line. The average of high-speed rail ways is 243 km per hour in Japan, 232 km per hour in Germany and 277 km per hour in France, he said.

The Hindu : Sci-Tech : World's fastest rail journey starts operation

R

rockdog

World's fastest rail journey starts operation[/url]
I am living in Wuhan now. Today from news heard that it's the longest, and fastest railway in the world.

Then i won't prepare the whole day to go Hong Kong, i just need 5.5 hours: 3 hours to Guangzhou, 1.5 to Shenzhen, 1 to Hong Kong. Totally 1300km.

Some pictures about the Railway:

badguy2000

Respected Member
World's fastest rail journey starts operation

Xinhua WUHAN, December 26, 2009

SPEEDING BULLET: The Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed railway cut the 1,068.6 km journey to three hours from the previous 10 and a half hours, reaching a maximum speed of 394.2 km per hour. Photo: AP

The Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed railway with the world’s fastest train journey with a 350 km-per-hour average speed, started operation on Saturday.

Two passenger trains rolled out the Wuhan Railway Station and Guangzhou North Railway Station, cutting the 1,068.6 km journey to three hours from the previous 10 and a half hours.

The service between Wuhan, a metropolis in central China, and Guangzhou City, a business hub in the southern Guangdong Province, was put into trial operation on Dec. 9, reaching a maximum speed of 394.2 km per hour.

In 2004, China hailed the completion of the rail line from Guangzhou to Shenzhen, both in Guangdong Province, with a speed of 160 km per hour. Now the speed more than doubled within five years, said Xu Fangliang, general engineer in charge of designing the Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed line. The average of high-speed rail ways is 243 km per hour in Japan, 232 km per hour in Germany and 277 km per hour in France, he said.

The Hindu : Sci-Tech : World's fastest rail journey starts operation
Chinese inducted high speed railway tech from Japan,German and France at the same time 5 years ago. Then Chinese combined those tech with Chinese indiginious tech .

Now, CHinese high-speed railway tech has surpassed German, France and Japan with a faster speed and lower cost.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Chinese inducted high speed railway tech from Japan,German and France at the same time 5 years ago. Then Chinese combined those tech with Chinese indiginious tech .

Now, CHinese high-speed railway tech has surpassed German, France and Japan with a faster speed and lower cost.
What crap are you spouting? TGV holds the world record at 574.8 km/h. First TGV was going as fast as your rail line thirty years ago. Chinese can't even make the power cars, just the rail system and when they run into problems, they have to call in Euro contractors. Your tech is at least 30 years behind ours, and your power car tech is practically non-existant.

badguy2000

Respected Member
What crap are you spouting? TGV holds the world record at 574.8 km/h. First TGV was going as fast as your rail line thirty years ago. Chinese can't even make the power cars, just the rail system and when they run into problems, they have to call in Euro contractors. Your tech is at least 30 years behind ours, and your power car tech is practically non-existant.
I think that I have listed the difference between "operational speed" and "testing speed" before.....if you can not tell the difference, pls stop showing your ignorance.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1014837&page=4
a good debate about global high speed railway....pls study it ,then have your cheap crap

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I think that I have listed the difference between "operational speed" and "testing speed" before.....if you can not tell the difference, pls stop showing your ignorance.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in Shanghai or your claims your tech is better than Europe? Your tech doesn't even compare which is why you have to buy Euro power cars and hire Euro contractors to correct all the mistakes.

[CRH] Total:1068km, Wuhan-Guangzhou(350km/h) is coming [China] - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity
a good debate about global high speed railway....pls study it ,then have your cheap crap
Did you google that so you could learn something you don't have the slightest clue about? Cheap crap = your argument

Koji

Just a question Arnand...what's the point of the high speeds if it's only useful in tests?
China has the fastest operational link-up between major cities that provides real benefit to customers.

"By comparison, the average for high-speed trains in Japan was 243 kilometres per hour while in France it was 277 kilometres per hour, said Xu Fangliang, general engineer in charge of designing the link, according to Xinhua."

China unveils 'world's fastest train link' - Yahoo! News

Global Defence

New threads

Articles